Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Vandalarius: The One Sword of The Romano-Gothic Empire [COMPLETED]- Updated May 24th '19

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated June- 23rd

CHAPTER V- THE TWO YEAR REIGN OF EUTHARIC THE RESENTFUL, CALLED GREGORY

THE COUNT TRAPSTILICUS and RUFUS EUTROPIUS

Stables in Aquiae Sextis

After the death and pyre of Vithericus in Ravenna, relief exhaled from the people of the country. Widimir was certainly the father of Eutharic called Gregory through one of his concubines, and the twenty year old was a stranger to fear, and many felt he was the warrior the empire needed under duress from the Huns. There were no more public impalements, no demonstrations of the military, and scorched earth to clapse down on the people with consequences of even thinking of defecting or paying tribute on a municipal level to Attila.

Theoderic's son, Vandalarius spoke of nothing but his father's valiant fall, and I rewarded the boy with early enrollment in the military schools, where he would learn from Romans and Gothic elite strategicians, rather than the Taifali, who were tattered in the defeat. Vandalarius was showing promise, as a bright and able boy, but having no sons of my own, I felt resentment as my first child was born, Countess Valdamerca. I will admit, my heart seized at the thought of having no male heir, such as the child of Scipuar, who had entered the military, Savva. But my friendship with Filimer was growing, and he became my most loyal man. As young as he was, I took a fatherly tone with him in many matters, and this eased the loss I felt. She was a darling girl, but she would never lead, and that was what I desired in an heir.

And for months, things continued in this relief. Then a storm came from the eastern Pontic seas. The armada of Anaxarches and Mahahyrs, beholden to Attila with promises of plunder in southern Italy, had arrived, with allies from the warlike Ethiopian kingdom of Axum. Although kept in check by the Quadrians, still loyal from Bertram marriage, and the defiance of Vithericus to the Pope, things would not remain this way forever. The Quadrians would be drawn north, to defend their lands from the Huns, who had been driven to a deadlock in Venetia, and the underbelly of Italy would be vulnerable to the scorpions and lions of Axum and Abasgia.

The sovereign kingdom of Gallica, became very concerned about the stewards of Italy's ability to maintain peace on their homelands grounds. Liuva and his Thracian guards were killed in the landing of Anaxarches and, Gesalec became the sole nephew of Vithericus.

In the late winter, the Visigothic merchant Ataulf had brought a rag of fine colts earlier in the year from the Roman province of Hispania, and Eutharic had ordered them to be put to stud, to breed horses that would have the stamina to chase down the Hunnic parties threatening Venetia, now that Salona and the east had fallen.

One such stable was in Aquiae Sextis, and I was there, at a horse ranch to inspect the impressive, towering beauties, in the company of our ally, the patrician Magister Miletum Eutropius Rufus, who served Tranquilus Insteius, the leader of Gallica. The air was filled with neighing and whinnies, as well as clopping, and stirring. But they were restrained, and they were calm. Unlike his guest.
    Eutropius was a gruff man, who carried a sword at his hip at all times, and dressed in the old Roman Praetorian fashion, with a molded breastplate of iron. His jaw looked as if it were set from that iron, and he had steely eyes. Just the sort of man that Eutharic would condemn as haughty and typical of the arrogance of the Roman elite. He carried his head high, and wore a bandana to wear off the sweat from the hot day. He was of the Rufinus, a branch of the Cornelii, however dilute, and his golden russet hair gave evidence of this.

The rich dust of Provence hung in the air, as I walked on the brittle earth of the summer, with Eutropius. He fed a carrot to one of the tall and sleek steeds.
    'You forget that as Eutharic desires revenge for Widimir, the citizens of the Roman Principality of Provence and Gaul feel a need for revenge for Gratianus Seneca, for Viridius and Ummidus Carbo, for cast down Saturninus, revered by my liege lord Tranquilus. With the rebellion in Sardinia, Saturninus could be reinstated one day. We hold much in common with dear Vindonius, but bereft of his lands, how long will Eutharic allow a true Roman to sit as Co-Emperor? You are a Gepid, and your people have served as foederati, you know well the bond of citizenship.' The Roman general spoke only what was obvious, without his lands, Vindonius only had his titles, and the niece of Vithericus would be more of an obstacle to Eutharic, than useful for her marriage.

There was also a sense that with the stronger king removed, the time was right for the rebellion roused by Gratianus Seneca to sweep Italy, and take control from the weaker Gothic successor. They were not vultures, they were eagles, and the inexperienced Gregory was their squirming prey in a Roman rebel's mind. Even, in time, Vindonius Natta would begin to subscribe to this political school, the result of which, would doom the whole of Italy, I was convinced. They respected the Goths as citizens, with titles, but felt the time of their contribution in leadership had passed.

Gallica as a nation, did not approve of Eutharic's ascension, and had abstained attendants from the coronation of Eutharic, to be held in two days, in Rome. This was meant as much to show the Huns that the interior of Cisalpina was quite safe from them, as well as to reassure the Roman people of Eutharicus Amalius Imperator's commitment to them. That he was a Half-Roman Goth, from a Roman woman, riled some of them, but that it had been outside of marriage caused a greater discontent.

The man was thought to awake at nights in cold sweats, remembering when news had came from Avaricum that his noble father had died in battle against the Romans, those ghosts that held a revered image in the society and lore of Gallica.

I tried to reassure him. If he only knew who was at the reigns of our armies, rather than the boy. ' We must hold our common ground against the Huns, they are unlike us, unlike the union that had persisted since the days before Alaric and Adrianople. It is like these steeds, now they are young, but Saturninus is ancient, and has been a recluse since his defeat. His days in the hippodrome, his days in the sun have ended.' I chided. I knew Eutropius would present a challenge to Eutharic, but I didn't know how severe it would be, given the coyness of Tranquilus' diplomats. Tranquillus, true to his name, was slow to anger, rare among those with Visigoth blood. And his annoyance with Eutharic's resentment to the Romans might have been slowly festering in the placid king. He had in his court Gaius Octavius Perennis and Tietieanus, both of whom would be pressing for more territory.

'As have Vithericus' We are free from your master's stranglehold of fear. A man such as you could go far in the Roman Empire, I beg you, throw off young Eutharicus and replace him with a vicarius in Vindonius.' Eutropius Rufus answered. He walked to another horse, and muttered, 'These stallions deserve Roman masters. The spaniards bred them for that purpose.'

I tried to get his attention. 'Yes, Rufinius, if they valued them so much, they wouldn't have sold them at a paltry ransom to the Visigoth merchant Ataulf.' I continued, louder. 'Eutharic is the rightful high king, if you think the Goths will submit to that kingdom of yours, indebted to the Alamanni to the north, that vestige of Toulousse and Burdigala, that straddles the Pyrenees, you are mistaken. Taskful Sigeric and I are the generals of a lineage that holds a greater commitment to the defense of Italy, it cannot be ruled by those who have never seen or confronted the menace of the horse-men of the Scourge of God. We have started this war, and we will keep what we have saved dear for so long.'

Eutropius Rufus frowned, and he left from coddling the horse in the stall before him. The numbers in Aquiae were equally loyal to Co-Emperor Natta, but many remembered their allegiance to the Roman rule of Septimania. If there was to be confrontation, it would be a pitched affair, and that disaster could not occur. Eutharic demanded that the western front remain peaceful. The Abasgians, under dread Anaxarches had landed to the south of Campania near Crotona, and threatened the stronghold at Naples, with invasion, at behest of their Hun masters.

'What will you do, Trapstila, you an eastern Gepid, arrest the general of the west in a Roman city, belonging to all Gallica: no, in two days, we will send an envoy to the coronation of Eutharicus. If he does not supplicate control of the whole of Provence, it's rich earth, and our share of these fine horses to it's rightful Roman authority, we will find another way to have the venerable Emperor Saturninus restored to power, in his seat usurped by this spawn's father, another way to harness our ally in Vindonius. If he does, then he has found a partner he can stomach, given his affliction of hate.'
    I bowed my head and winced. Troubles, then. The liege of Italy would not be pleased. He feared the Romans and the western front, and would most likely concede, but part of me was terrified that he might see it as an opportunity for vengeance, and an opportunity to remove Saturninus from cherished memory of the Romans, in his island prison at Aleria on Corsica.

'Take one of our new horses, and ride hard. I cannot guarantee your safety thus ever.' I answered. Eutharic will hear your demands from I, but I do not think he will be pleased. Massilia and Aquaie give us a trade route with our allies across the Mediterranean in Roman Africa. Should we cede this place, Africa might soon favor you. You're dancing with kings, Rufus, not children. Now, off with you.'

'We have a lot less to lose than you and yours. Liuva is dead. The line of Vithericus runs thin. Good day, easterner.' Rufus answered, climbing onto the first horse he saw suitable, and riding for where his men were located in the city.

Last edited by Lugotorix; July 26, 2015 at 10:38 PM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated July- 4th

I enjoyed the last stand of Theoderic, with with the incredible, cinematic images and dramatic battle scenes. Eutharic's decision about what to do with the gift of horses sounds like a good one - but will his harshness undermine the support of his friends and earn him dangerous enemies?

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated July- 4th

Last edited by crucify_ego; October 02, 2015 at 05:04 AM.

GALLICA

ROME- MARCH- 433 A.D.- The Coronation of Eutharic

The Emperor is not long for this world

There are always new rising generals for new campaigns of the Empire. Sometimes with a plethora of progeny.

Guitifrida and Achilius keep the Huns at bay, while more celebratory events take place at home.

Eutharic chastised I, Trapstila, for allowing Rufus Eutropius to escape unharmed and furiously demanded that the noble Roman be arrested for treason, and accused me of abetting his abscondure to Avaricum in the Aquitaine.
    The arrogance of the boy, to think he could clamp down on his betters among generals, and offend the freedom of our neighbors, but I had not yet seen proof of his madness, only the sense of invincibility that comes with being young.

I immediately turned to his older cousin Gesalec for composure, to assure the goodwill of Hispanian and Gaulish Romans living in Italy. I also told Gesalec that we would need Vindonius Natta to pledge more soldiers from his Dacian cousins who now ruled over the Eastern Empire. Logistics were an obstacle as the Hunnic hordes ran freely over Natta's old territories, and Roman brigands and rebels were uprising near Sirmium to take advantage of our absence. With the fall of Salona, we relied on souther Mediterranean transports to make our new Roman conscripts way to Italy, avoiding the Adriatic, and the pirates that had swarmed the waters as soon as the port in Salona was closed to traffic, sacked by Abjars the Bulgar.

Together with Sigeric, I corralled our best troops in the Umbria and Picenum, to stem any Axumites who might march north, with two legions in the north of the Cispaline Alps, to march south if there ever was a breach in Venetia. Sigeric kept order in central Italy while I ordered long-bearded Gundulf, a rising general to the western edge of Narbonensis, near Vienna, and Octoduron alongside Wallia and the Thracian legion he had inherited from Liuva. Wallia another of our capable defenders, and he would be needed in the days to come.
    Eutharic would not hear a word more about ceding Narbonensis to Tranquilus, who ruled out of the Roman city of Caesaraugusta, with a secondary capital in Burdigala. Still, I warned Gundulf to stay east of Avaricum to prevent tensions during the coronation. I had hoped dearly that he would make the minor concession. The numbers of Goths in the recently occupied Massilia and Aquiae Sextis were few, and the Romans there were many. Septimanian governors were more likely to pledge allegiance to Tranquilus than Eutharic, but he was blind to this, seeing is a his by right of conquest by his father.

As my punishment, although the senior of him, him being young at the age of twenty, he tithed me to his house, telling me that I behaved more like a boy than an elder, by adopting me into the line of Amalius, and forcing me to kneel at his coronation, and kiss the sandals and ring of the princess Chlotsuintha, his half sister, the one legitimate heir of Widimir, son of Amalius Vithericus.

I responded to Tranquilus by a letter, a few days before the coronation, and had heard nothing since. I was accomplished in writing, but there was no easy way to write the Emperor's refusal.
    The letter read as thus:
    Tranquilus Insteibus, King of Gallica, Aquitaine, and Viceroy of Tarraconensis, alongside the regrettably crippled, rightful Viceroy Labienus of Pompaelo,

I regret to inform you that his excellency Eutharicus Gregory will not allow the forfeiture of our Gothic estates in Narbonensis. Vindonius Natta, Co-Emperor of the West, reaffirms his commitment to peace with the Kingdom of Gallica, and assures you that our intentions in Spain have long ended.We offer you tribute in gold and jewels, spices and oil from Natta's territory, to ease your tension, as one is only natural to feel in this time of transition.
    The auger of Vithericus has ended, and Eutharicus Gregory wishes a peaceful start to his reign, beginning with the his allowance of the Caledonians to settle in Augusta Trevorum, seized from Saturninus who resides in good health and treatment on the island of Corsica.

We urge you not to enter pacts with the rebels claiming Roman rule of Sardinia, and hope that our peaceful settlement of the Caledonians with calm your conflict with them in the past.

-Amalius Trapstilicus, Count of Ancona

It must have been a good letter, fore a day had passed and a day remained before Eutharic's coronation that the Caledonians entered into alliance with Gallica, and turned their intentions on the south of Lugdenensis. Our concession had only allowed further aggression from the Celtic barbarians.

The capital in Rome was a festive day, in March, and red confetti and banners streamed through the city, on a bright sunny day that gleamed on the armor of the elite Ostrogothic pikes. Theirs spears formed a gaping gate, festooned with ribbons. The streets themselves were a shining golden brown, and the fountains swelled as the basilica bells rang. The emperor stood at a balcony and addressed a crowd: I was at his side with Sigeric. I gave a cunning eye to Gesalec, who was seated far behind him.
    He gave his speech, and it was a good one, brave in clarity of voice, without a stutter or impediment. He spoke of Vithericus the Great and his mother Fridilo, who he referred to as noble and the true wife of Widimir.

He spoke of his father's sacrifice to the nation, and that the people should never forget the price of Roman ambition in Roman lives. He spoke of Romans and Goths becoming one nation, though you could see the disgust his his eyes when he said it, but not his voice, and how he only focused his wild eyes on his trusted Gothic nobles and merchants in the crowd, and then with his loud voice, turned to me.

' Count Trapstila, my son.' I winced at the thought of it. 'The time has come for you to select a companion knight, one that will serve me best. I answered, quietly, so that the crowd could not hear me. ' I choose Filimer, a tall and natural warrior who has served with distinction under my command against Attila the Hun himself. I say honestly he has saved my life, and you will find no better angel to bring wrath upon Attila and Abjar the Bulgar.'

Eutharic spoke in reply. 'Surely you would want a son, only having a daughter, Valdamerca, Count Trapstila, and rest assured I will find her a good son in law, a Roman son in law, to serve you. But Filimer is lowborn, and unworthy of such an honor. I will allow Gesalec to bestow the honor in your place, since you have love for the stable-boys, and not men.' This pleased many Romans in the crowd, who were unhappy with a selection among lowborn Gothic warriors, and not someone who had lived with them during the occupation and kingdom.

Gesalec, who was the imperial treasurer, as well as ambassador to the Romans, spoke up, him loudly, allowing the crowd to hear. ' Very well. I can think of no better man than the warrior Filimer.' I was unsure if he meant to challenge his cousin, or compliment me and my choice, my friend, the Germanic giant, but the words invoked a wrathful look in Eutharic's eyes.

Eutharic clutched his scepter, and beckoned for the golden laurels to be placed on his head. The priest gave the rites quietly, which was met with more applause.
    'Gesalec, our treasurer, orphan of the wayward Egica, always paying his debts to his friends.' He shouted, and smiled, waving the scepter in the air.

'Very well. Bring forth the gift to the nation on this event. Bring forth Filimer.' Eutharic continued. He waved, excited. Cheers rang out. The people didn't know who they were sealing a pact with.

Filimer did not allow himself to be presented, he strode from the crowd, up the steps of the palace in full armor, being in service of the palace guard. He removed his helmet and bowed at the service of the Emperor. He kissed Eutharic Gregory's ring, and said. 'I am honored to be at the service of Gesalec. I have always considered Trapstila to be my adoptive father, but humbly accept patronage of Gesalec.'

' I would want no-one else to serve in my Comitus Saiones.' Gesalec said proudly.

'Ambition's debt is paid.' Jested Eutharic, knocking Filimer on the ear with his scepter. 'The Pope of Latins as my witness.' The blow had hurt, and Filimer could not hear out of the swelling ear, but these were honest times, and Filimer, a tough man, forgave it as excitment.
    Horns blew, and many figured they were heralding the knighting of Filimer, but instead, they were Roman troops of Vindonius Natta, entering from the south and the Tiber. They looked like they had a long march, and their horses were foaming and tired.

' Who dares interfere with this sanct event!' I shouted, as was my duty, and 'Why are you so armed?'

'Vindonius Natta, husband of Ennia Domitianus Hunila, Co-Emperor of Rome.' He shouted back, riding through a corridor that the crowd parted, he dismounted from his horse.
    'A gift and letter from Gallica, and it's king Tranquilus Insteibus. Do not read it in public, my Emperor, and forgive the timing.' He said, out of breath, his arms strained as he gave the order for a chest to be unhoisteled, and presented to the Emperor.
    Eutharic said ' I had not expected brother Natta back from the rebellion in Sardinia so soon. They are no doubt quelled. A round of applause for brother Natta!' He shouted. The crowd was excited, whistling.

'No, my dear Natta, if the words of our Roman brothers will be heard, they will be heard in Rome.' Natta made to approach the Emperor, but guards pressed him back with lances. 'My emperor, there has been a riot on the island of Corsica at Aleria. Saturninus' wherabouts are uknown.' Vindonius answered. 'I beg you.'

'Let us ask the people, shall I read the word of the King to them?' The crowd in Rome, under the leering sun, responded in cheers, most of them unable to hear Vindonius' warnings. 'Yes, Emperor!' they chanted.
    Eutharic ordered the chest to be opened. He rushed down the steps to it and hoisted out a leather satchel of keys. He read the inscription on them. 'The keys of Caesaraugusta!' He shouted with glee. 'A dove, a white dove for our generousity.' The crowd cheered.

I rushed to the chest and saw that letters were contained. Eutharic with his doddering way of reading didn't have time for them. I quickly picked up the parchment and explained to Eutharic that the keys were for Chlotsuintha, the desired wife of Tranquilus. The second set of keys, I explained to him, were the keys to the dungeon of Saturninus.

'Sieze Chlotsuintha at once.' Eutharic shouted to his guards. Goiswintha screamed and marched up to Eutharic shouting curses. He ignored her and gave her a light push aside.
    I protested. 'The queen mother is right! Clotsuintha is your heir by rights, my Emperor.' But the guards carried her towards the palace nonetheless, while she protested Eutharic, saying she had nothing to do with Tranquilus' intentions.

Goiswintha pleaded with me to do something, but I could not disobey my Emperor, at least not now. Gesalec would no doubt have some contingency in mind, and I thought immediately to Eutropius' earlier offer, which I had not revealed to Eutharic.

I urged my attendants into the palace. We marched, and I beckoned Sigeric and Gesalec within the palace. Beyond the pillars, on the balcony I could see Eutharic shouting order, of what I seemed to hear as incitment of the Gothic soldiers upon the 'Roman traitors' within the city. Then screams, screams and the crumble of rubble and fires for what seemed like hours the shouts of Germanic voices chanting about murdering and raping the Romans at the behest of Savva, the young son of Scipuar, the appointed headsman and butcher of Eutharic, clashing with despair in Latin, the hurling of rocks, fleeing people, and chaos.

Savva led the killers through the streets of Rome for the next several days. They invaded homes and executed all that were suspected of having ties with Gallic merchants and governance. Savva's controlled executions gave way to rioting, both by the Romans citizens, infuriated that their countrymen were being killed on mere suspicion, and between Gothic high-riders looking to seize on the cities weakness. The initial fires that broke out went unchecked, and it was as if Rome had been sacked for a second time. All of the old hatreds became fresh, and fears of one another were heightened. In return for his willingness to butcher suspects, Savva was granted the succession rights, as the son of Scipuar, and Gesalec brooded un-cooperatively within the tower where Chlotsuintha was kept prisoner: he suspected something much deeper had led Eutharic to spurn him and embrace the killer. His finances, the finances of empire were in ruins, with Gallic merchants being killed and the trade routes to the Alamanni and Gallica severed. Vindonius Natta at first urged Eutharic for peace, but as darkness fell on the third day, he entered the shadows and began looking for a way out of the city with those loyal to Gesalec and Clotuinsintha.

Thievery and looting broke out, and with it, a collapse of sanitation, and a spike of the plague from Corsica. Brigands rose up on the roads to Reate, and Neapolis, even as it was under threat from the Abasgians and Axumites. The order was given for general Wallia to leave Vienna and march on Rufus Eutropius and Gaul.

The Riots of Rome

Last edited by Lugotorix; August 08, 2015 at 08:50 AM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated July- 13th

Brilliant, enjoyed every word. This is how historical fiction should read

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated July- 13th

GENERAL WALLIA versus RUFUS EUTROPIUS- Second Battle of AVARICUM

WINTER- 433 A.D.

The savage fury of the old trans-Danube empire curdles the blood of the Roman infantry

Wallia knew of the turmoil at home behind him. Rome was ablaze, and thousands of Romans had died, thousands more raped, or cast out of their houses, by the incitement of Eutharic. Savva, at only eighteen, was the muscle behind the Gothic riot, and Romans would not quit yet in reprisals against the occupation. Eutharic had marked his ascension in the Gothic ranks by promising him a young man named Leovigild, named thus, after the king of the Antean Slavs, who Eutharic claimed was his lost brother, shuttered during Scipuar's life due to plague and infirmity, now returned as Leovigild, the masked brother of Savva. The plague, Eutharic claimed, had left his face scarred beyond recognition.

With the princess imprisoned by Eutharic, he looks to new allies from the Amali line to continue his legacy: noble Teus has a son, and that son is a monster.

When Savva asked of his identity, Leovigild would grunt 'yes', and this was the most merciless of Savva's masked killers, giving his men whatever spoils and trophies they required of the Roman suspects' families. Blackguard Savva was keen, handsome and intelligent, and no doubt knew that his brother had long perished, and this was the revenge for his early grave at the ravages the Western empire had put upon them.

Chlotsuintha would not eat, and made several petitions to her half-brother, demanding her release. Wallia knew the score, sure enough, Tranquilus' patience was gone, and he was using the old Roman tactic of divide and conquer. He no more intended to marry Clotsuintha, than he saw any outcome but Eutharic strangled, along with his Judges and the Count Trapstila. He intended to place the wizened Saturninus as Emperor of a reformed Western Roman Empire, and through conquest, cast the Kingdom of Gallica to history.

Wallia was in his tent. Eutropius, the red-haired devil, had the numbers, but with his legio, he was lacking infantry on the level of the seasoned Thracian Oathsworn that came with all the traditions and camp machinery of Liuva's former army. He knew his target, it was Burdigala, and in the hills of the Aquitaine before him, lay the obstacle of Eutropius' army, following wherever Wallia advanced. Gundulf was not far behind, famous already for crushing uprisings of the Italians and Roman rebels across Gaul. And with him, Hermenegild, another decorated captain. These were the figures that would define the campaign that had started at Vienna. And so it would be decided here, in the howling windswept snowy hills of Avaricum.

The most trusted councilor of Tranquilus and an able general, his words with Trapstila have turned to violence....

Wallia watched through the snows, at the portico of his tent, where wine was arraigned, and the Gothic Palatina stood, down there the howling hills, the site of the battle, where an impasse had came to the snowfall, but the sky was still dark and cloudy. A day of ice, the second such snow-filled battle near Avaricum, this time to quell Saturninus' ambitions forever.
    The ballistae were getting into position. They were keen scorpions, and would thresh through the enemy ranks with an eagles's range.

The Thracians, really a military tradition of Bastarnians who had preserved the Odrysian armaments, stalked through the veneer of the forest, their commander Lycurgus of Tarento holding his wolf pelt shawl, to beat away the cold. He rubbed his hands, and took tight grip of his Rhomphaia. The Gallica patrols were marching nearby. Long past sundown, the armies had been having some difficulty finding each-other in the blizzard earlier in the day, but both, hurt by the elements, were determined to find each-other before night fell. They could both hear the deafening trudge of the armored men making their way through forest and snow.

He sighted a Roman moving between the trees, on un-easy footing. An end to subtleties then. He charged through the treeline and clove the Roman split to sternum with his Rhomphaia. The mist of blood alerted the Legio, and they began shouting, and a horn gave a blast. The Thracians let out warcries, and entered a frenzy, descending from their path beyond the trees into a pitched ambush.

Further down the breath of the advance patrol of Thracian ambushers, Wallia's captain Hermenegild gave a mighty blow to his horn, it echoed past the hills, set up with rickety gold surveyors equipment, long abandoned from these hills near Avaricum. Hermenegild had already distinguished himself as a war captain and would be instrumental in the lightning war to come.

In the times of Julius Caesar, the Oppidium had maintained a population of forty thousand, then massacred after battle against the Gauls. Now more people lived there, drawn by the rich mines nearby. This site was being prospected for yet another mine, and the Ostrogothic pikes took their places upon one of these hills, a crest of towering spears reaching to the icy blue skies.

'Remember,' Boomed Wallia voice from some unknown distance. 'The Emperor wants no prisoners. Show them no quarter, not even the camp-followers, for they will show us none!' He howled for the bloodshed to commence, instilling terror in the approaching Romans.
    The Comes of the Roman line rode past the Thracian ambush, taking into account their numbering, and then beat their horses onwards, until they sighted the pike wall and wheeled back to the right flank of their army coming from the forest to the north. No sooner had they done this, than the Mounted brigands charged after them, and a cavalry clash was joined at those of the Comes, who had not yet fled back to their numbers.

This attack, ordered by Captain Baduila, was outmatched by Protores Domestici that rushed up the nearest hill, and fought the Gothic steeds with swords, their woolen caps keeping them fresher than others. Another wave of Roman horses charged to reinforce.

Casualties are thick on both sides. The fight turns to a pitched battle in scattered points before meeting on the bloody gold-rich hill.

Eutropius enters the battle.

Rufus Eutropius' own regiment of horse clashed with the edges of the Oathsworn who had not yet entered the fray within the forest, while the main legions marched out of the forest to confront the pikes. Another day with lopsided casualties would be unacceptable, so they were whipped onwards, to face the pikes at un-even ground at that.

They had figured what worked for the Macedonians at Pylae would work for the pikes. The Elite pikes kicked at the frozen earth to make the ground uneasy going. Pikes were left at the summit of the hill on carts to make obstacles that didn't have to be manned, and the reserve Thracian warriors were called into action. The Gothic warriors threw javelins at the approaching Romans and rattled their bucklers. If Rufus, Tranquilus, and Saturninus wanted to face 'barbarians.' here they would.

Phyrrus himself could not have made a better mess.

The hill could not be surmounted, and the Legio and Cohors found themselves slipping on the icy ground, which only became slicker with blood, and broken earth. The Ostrogoths planted themselves into the earth and would not budge an inch, while the Thracians moved to flank the Roman army from both sides of the lower ground.

The Comitensis spears joined the main assault, but were no match in morale for what waited atop the hill.

Disconcerting news came when the Comes lances of Rufus had slain most of Lycurgus' men into a rout and made for the right, the western flank of the battle for the hill. Hooded skimirshers of the Romans charged on their horses and enter this right flank as well, and the Thracians were all but slaughtered. Some traditions may have to be abandoned, in this changing world at war.

The pikes however, repositioned themselves, having first sent the uphill Romans into breaking. The scorpions, from their high ground on the prospect, punished the outer limits of the Romans, with chain and ball rounds. By the time they returned to fight again, the pikes had speared most of the skirmishing horses, and Eutropius had beat into a retreat. The Romans were chased into the forest and brought down by Gothic archers and the nimbly moving horses of the general Wallia's own guard.

He spoke to Gundulf, who was at his side, upon a horse, 'Gundulf braid-beard, march with your army and bring me Rufus' heart. I'll send it to Saturninus' court at Burdigala' 'Kill any Romans who try to surrender: the Emperor's will be done.'
    'Salve, Emperor Eutharic's will.' Replied the long blonde beared Gundulf.

They killed all still standing on the field, including the camp-followers who had expected mercy. The executions carried on into the night, and those who had escaped had witnessed a truly merciless army in action, that would give no ground, only consume for it's fearful Emperor. All's said, it was a Phyrric victory, one steeped in losses for both sides. The Elite Ostrogothic pikes had been decimated, but Gundulf's army trailed not far behind to replenish them.

Rufus fled with his Comes and eagles, and would have to hunker down in Avaricum itself. The battle had been a catastrophe, and he may never have to face the shame of it to his King himself. Saturninus was placed on the de facto throne in Burdigala, but his intelligence knew of another army, being led by Gundulf, that would be holding the ground they had just gained. It would be a war with many battles, but this was the first time he had been defeated on the field. The aura of order that had persisted in Gallica was gone. And Eutharic's savage hate was nearing, and Eutropius feared for all of the Roman Empire. The first thing he would do, was write to Trapstila, Sigeric, if he could read, Vindonius, anyone who would listen. From who, would the Roman people find their deliverance, not the Pope, not the Emperor in Rome himself.

The grim cost of the battle was seen as a bad omen by the Pope and Eutharic. He extended some leniency to the ongoing trials and arrests, but the seeds of civil strife, are difficult to extricate once planted. With Gundulf, Hermenegild and Wallia fighting in the west, matters came to Trapstila's attention. Savva ordered his 'brother' to stop in his agitations but the man in the bronze mask was only goaded on by the radical Goth land barons in Italy. Leovigild was becoming a beast unchained, and was making personal lists of enemies amongst the patrician class in Rome to be eliminated. Savva, Chlotsuintha, Gaatha, and Vindonius brought the matter before the High Judge, and Count of Ancona.

Meanwhile the court in Burdigala, and it's new Emperor Saturninus planned their next move.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; July 15, 2015 at 03:27 PM.

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated July- 15th

The Palace in Ravenna

Spring- 434 A.D.

Apollonaris constructed by Theodoric the Great in Ravenna- Referential use

Gundulf is testing Tranquilus' tranquility in the Aquitaine. It is inevitable that the two forces will meet

The Princess

Gaatha, the mother of Vandalarius, and the women involved in much of the intrigue of the reign of Vithericus, was in waiting, in her green lustrous gown with flowing grey and brunette hair in braids. Her intelligent eyes fidgeted as she conversed with another woman, who she out-shown, in bosom and beauty, one wearing a thick woolen shawl and hood on her head. Much time had passed since her arrest at the hands of the former Emperor, and imprisonment in the tower. But knowing that tower, she knew the guards, and knowing the guards, she knew their avarice, in flesh and coin, and had no obstacles in arranging that her guest met with Count Trapstila.

She was in waiting for the audience, and on the agenda was a way to end the predatory raids being led by Savva, who was expected to be in attendance.

Eutropius Rufus had joined the court of Saturninus in Burdigala after the viscous draw at Avaricum, and there was a lull in the fighting, although General Gundulf, renowned for putting down Roman rebellions at home, had moved into the Aquitaine, the heartland of power in Gallica. There he raided with his loyal Taifali bannermen, an arrangement that Gaatha had put into effort, as she acted as a matron of the house of Theoderic, after she was widowed, with young Vandalarius being too young to take over the estate. Gundulf used Vesontio as his base of operations, but was driving ever closer to Burdigala, as the Gallica legions remained aloof after the bloodbath at Avaricum. Wallia had joined the raiding of vineyards and aqueducts leading to the Atlantic coast also.

The Count entered from the same passage they had entered from, to Gaatha's surprise, with her son with him, and he patted him on his way to his mother. He had no doubt kept everyone waiting within, so he could encircle the building with his most trusted men, should anything go awry.

'We were just discussing the fealty of the Taifali, regarding your uncle Gesalec.'

She nodded uneasily, and held her boy in her arms. She asked Vandalarius. 'He's a nice man?' noodling his nose, and wiping his face. To which the boy responded. 'Too nice. Warriors aren't supposed to be nice. You must have something he wants.' He said, annoyed. She realized how clever he was to relate this, and beckoned the woman who was near her to walk with her. They walked into the chambers of the Count, where a large table stood, with grapes and fruit, and mutton lay in a bowl. The windows were closed, and a single candle was lit in the center of the table.

Savva was already sitting, with his wife, Vili, looking warily through the blinds out a window, and had no doubt heard all that the women had been speaking about. Several guards crowded the room. Savva was after all, head of the Praetorian Guard, even through his promotion to heir to the empire. She realized that Trapstila was not worried about the womens plotting, but anything that could happen with Savva. It was strange that Vili was chosen by Savva, if the rumors she heard by Vindonius and Trapstila were true. Perhaps honest friendship or respect for the hero against the Slavs had influenced the decision. Just any man could be a thug.

'The usurper!' Hissed the cowled woman, and Trapstila answered warmly 'Please relax, Chlotsuintha, he's here to help us.' He had hoped that Savva would not have to be overly pressured, but by now the man had no doubt seen Natta and the Count's guards gathering outside of the Apollonaris. Unfortunately, the man was unyielding, having as much to prove to his wife, as his reputation among the Praetorian guards.

'Not yet.' Warned Savva, within earshot of his Praetorian guardsmen. Trapstila waved a hand for him to refrain.
    The Count spoke:
    'Three thousand Romans dead, in Rome, thousands more across Italy. Leovigild has become a rabid dog. These incitements of the people of this country will not stand. For over forty years Vithericus ruled in dread, but ruled in respect for the lands he has conquered. Now, our Emperor disregards the traditions that hold the seven hills and sends his squads into homes at abandon. There are many with sympathies towards Tranquilus, but Savva has agreed that they require trials, in Roman courts, with Christian justice.'

'The Popes justice, the emperor's justice. All very good. In a time of peace.' Insisted a fourth voice, walking into the room with his Roman soldiers. It was Vindonius Natta. Hunila Domitiana was with him.
    Hunila asked impatiently, taking a seat after laying down her cloak on the chair. 'Where is my brother?' She was asking of Gesalec.

'To the north, plying for peace with Abjars the Bulgar, as Eutharicus demands.' Answered Trapstila.
    ' We'll have peace with Tranquilus and Saturninus first. And in that peace, Rome will have her justice.' Vindonius said. Natta Domitianus wanted to end the war as quickly as possible, so that the attention of the legions could be turned to the east once more, where the Huns remained not only a problem, but a growing one.

'You deny the Emperor's edict for seizure of the west of Gallica. You deny General Gundulf's orders?' Savva gritted his teeth and asked.

'It depends on Gundulf's success. If Eutropius is killed, Labienus, Tranquilus and Saturninus will be isolated. They will come to the table. This table.' Trapstila answered.
    'Never, I will never speak sedition against the man I am sworn to protect. He'll never accept peace.' Spoke the Praetorian commander. The Emperor took official words very seriously. And the officials of Gallica said he was to be strangled. After that the fear would creep up on him every night, and as a dog with lock jaw, he would never stop until the Romans were subjugated, Italy heeled.

'The raids-' Trapstila demanded, and Savva interupted him.
    'The raids will cease. For peace in this country.' Savva said.

Chlotsuintha, not more than a young women, interceded their bickering with the words.

'And what if Eutharic refuses, Savva. What if he strings my royal neck from the tower in his lust to end Tranquilus' ambition? As a beacon to end the people's hope. What till he decides that stones hurled at the dignity of people is not enough, chaos is not enough for chaos stakes, and cuts his losses with a boulder. Do you think you will lead that suare safely. '
    'If it is the Emperor's will.' Savva responded without hesitation. He was handsome, even when enraged. Perhaps there was more to his appointment, as Trapstila had mentioned to Vindonius earlier when they were preparing security for the meeting.

Vindonius Natta and Hunila began recounting the misdeeds of Eutharic in a list. They recounted his executions of youths throwing stones, they recounted the burning by the Palantine, they recounted the Gothic nobles who had been put in the place of Roman households. And asked at once. 'And those are his will also!'
    Gaatha said what she had expected to say, after asking the Count if she could speak.

She appealed to the reason of all in attendence. She was stinging to Savva, but massaged Vindonius and Hunila's ambition, while referring to Gesalec.

Gaatha first told Vandalarius to leave the palace and go play in the streets, where she and Trapstila had arranged for his saftey. She spoke, flatly to Savva, although her words were for everyone.
    'Attila the Hun is on the move. His armies fester to the north, honing down on here and Ravenna, and the bidding of the Bulgar are just buying him more time. We are divided at a distraction in the west against the legions of Gaul. I have been to the towers at the whim of a mad emperor, and I will have the legitimate Empress on the throne before she endures another day in that cell, for only the spite of a man who can't look the people who he rules in the face. She belongs with her cousin Gesalec, free. She belong with her cousin Hunila, who whose husband will be cast down if it would pity Eutharic's fears.'

Gesalec had never learned the truth of his father's death, and thus had more faith in Widimir and Fridilo's child than himself, but he was a capable financier and smart in managing the pay of the armies. And this talent could lead down a powerful path, in the use of mercenaries, even the Praetorian guard itself, in time.

'Savva, hear me, I will pull Theoderic's troops home from Gundulf's position in the Aquitaine. I will tell them, many Romans, that the war is upon their homes, not Gaul. And I will tell them you are leading that war.'
    'Calm yourself, Gaatha. The war effort-' Said Vindonius, placing his hands on the table. He stood, pacing, trying to find the words. He wanted victory, but not the absolute massacre that Eutharic had planned, and he didn't want to be replaced by Savva prematurely, perhaps in this very hall. His guards lay in wait along with Trapstila's.

The Praetorian commander answered, trying to soothe her wrath. 'You will do no such thing. I will convince the Emperor that the raids in Italy must end. Gaatha, listen-' Even with his beard, he was little older than the Emperor himself, outclassed in age and experience by everyone present, except his quiet wife, Vili.

'Good, and you will have the Princess released immediately. You, and Tranquilus' general Eutropius will hear my answer in the Aquitaine, should you succeed.' She smiled at Chlotsuintha, who bowed her head, all but expecting the Praetorian guard to attack them, including Vindonius and Trapstila.

Savva stood, and waved to his guards to follow him out. ' I will see about Chlotsuintha's captivity. And you, Count Trapstila, had better pray that we have victory in Gallica.' He said angrily to the Count as he left.
    Gaatha spoke loudly, just as Savva was leaving. 'I've seen about your brother as you asked. I visited his grave, where the Kingslayer had him interred during my lifetime. You should understand, being so young.' She said behind her head to Savva.
    There was no-one better to cement a new ruler than the Praetorian guard, as was the Roman tradition that Eutharic hated so much. She would divide Eutharic's forces just as he had divided his own, so easily tricked by Tranquilus.
    Savva looked at her wrathfully, and cursed her integrity, and swearing to the Emperor that he would kill her one day, leaving in a huff.

Chlotsuintha was all but weeping and once Savva had left, she explained that she must be spirited back to the tower, before Eutharic noticed she was missing.
    'My girl.' Replied Gaatha. 'You will do no such thing. There isn't a shred of doubt that Eutharic would compromise my son's estate, with the hero Theoderic so fresh in their minds. Savva will agree to half of what he's spoken sure enough, and you will stay with Vandalarius' protection from now on.'

Vindonius began speaking of his plans for making peace with Saturninus, who would live out the rest of his days richly, once Eutropius was destroyed, and Tranquilus realized his empire would not return. He began speaking of the peace that would come after Gundulf had forced the Gallic armies to meet his where he was ravaging the rich estates of Gaul. And he spoke of the coming defense that the Count and Sigeric would need to muster against Attila.

Surely enough, as wicked as her words were, Gaatha had not aimed to deceive. The legions of the empire were needed in the fragile east, not expanding it's borders in the overdrawn west.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; July 22, 2015 at 07:09 PM.

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated July- 22nd

Very much enjoyed your description of Eutropius, damn those basic Romans

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated July- 22nd

Battle for the Aquitaine

Gundulf and Hermenegild vs. Rufus Titienus Eutropius, Secundus Aurelius Plancus, and Secundus Junius Constantinus

Spring 434 A.D.

North of Elusa

The tight Gothic formation versus the spread cavalry heavy Roman force with archers kept in the reserves

In the history of the Gothic empire’s pinnacle, perhaps none was as decisive as Gundulf meeting Rufus Eutropius on the Elusan fields. Compared to the battle of Soissons, it decided the inheritance of western Gaul, and Novipopulum. Fatefully, Attila would soon ensure that it’s new landlords were absent for it’s governance until it’s collapse to the Germanic Alemanni a decade later. The Alemanni had remained neutral in the present conflict, although friendly to the Goths, and made no war on Gallica either, transfixed by their new Caledonian Celtic neighbors in Maxima Sequornum. Gundulf would not have moved so closely without the help of his secondary legions, if it were not for the promises by the young and new High King of the Alemanni Fastrada, that in any event of calamity, the Alemanni would sweep down and apply pressure upon the Romans in Gaul.

Hispania joined the fight later than year, promising levies to Tranquilus’ defense of the Aquitaine. The cripple wanted his vengeance, and also promised that should the fighting cross the Pyrenees, Roman troops would be waiting for Eutharicus’ foolhardy legions. Rufinus Eutropius, fearing loss of the lead and tin trade from Bordeaux, finally decided an end to the deadlock was time, and led his heavy horses and a contingent of archers and wide line of spears south to meet Gundulf, before the secondary armies could join him in a concerted rape of Elusa.

The last vestige of Gallican power outside of Iberia was at Burdigala, or Bordeaux, in the Aquitaine. At freckled hilly fields near the Buerde river, Gundulf’s army was finally confronted by the princeps, Dux Rufinus Eutropius of Aquitania, the old territory of the Bituriges Vivisci Gauls, this freshly wounded but triumphant patrician of the old Roman Cornelii.

The battle was notable for being the first time that Noble Gothic Lancers of the Saiones participated in a field battle, although Gundulf was on foot, wielding a long sword, and his band of nobles were some of the bloodiest opponents of the several hundred Equites Promoti of the Gallican Western Roman army. It was also notable in that no less than three Roman commanders had came on their horses with their mounted guards to participate in the battle, hoping that their charges would be more effective and terrifying down the slopes of the hilly green terrain, with the notable lack of Elite Ostrogothic pikes in the Gothic army commanded by Gundulf.

The Noble Gothic lancers used their heavy weight to strike like a hammer, and then filtrate out of the ranks and crush against the enemy like a vicious tide, lapping at the banks of the enemy.
    Eutropius first sighted only a couple thousand of Gothic forces north of Elusa, and therefore committed to the battle, whereas across the river Buerde, another thousand of Gundulf’s infantry lay in wait, along with his heavy cavalry. The Gothic armies were bolstered by Vindonius Natta’s Roman loyalists, deadest on ensuring a victory that Trapstila would be able to capitalize on, in forcing Tranquilus and Saturninus’ surrender.

The cavalry rode hard from the south, and Eutropius, with his reinforcements, pressing for the low valley where his horses would run down the Gothic and Roman infantry, bereft of their pikes. This was derailed when Hermenegild’s nobles joined the infantry and was able to outnumber the Equites scouts and the later arriving Equites Promoti. Those few spear masters the Goths had in their combined armies were instrumental in slaying Secundus Junius and Secundus Aurelius.

Gundulf fights the ranked Promoti
    Gundulf Yellow-beard slew many of the routing horses who realized that the center of the Gothic army would not quake so easily, and whirled into a retreat back towards the Comes nobles of Eutropius. Junius Constantinus was personally slain by the long bearded warrior, with his black helmet of iron. The Equites Promoti were brought down by spear-master who rushed to defend Gundulf, a veteran at fighting mounted Romans, from the rebel uprisings before the war. He was pierced several times by Roman swords, and a blow to his head, knocked him unconscious for much of the battle, since he was still intact, the men kept their resolve and fought on, as he was borne to the rear of the army, and Hermenegild assumed shouting orders not to break, no matter if the Comes of Eutropius came at them with flaming boars and elephants. What they lacked in immobile pikes, Gundulf’s commands made up for in the loud trudging march of the spear masters.

Gundulf Yellow-beard is struck down, but not mortally, preserving the morale of the men

Secundus is cornered

The march is concentrated, in in each-other, they find victory
    Infuriated by the loss of his first cavalry charge and the nobles who commanded them, Eutropius ordered the Comitensis spears and their lances to bear equal losses from the emerging Noble Lancers who came over the blind side of a hill.

They found themselves skewered by the lances before they knew what had hit them, blinded by the light of the mid-day sun, and the horses worked in tandem with the Gothic nobles on foot.

'Rally, to me! Put these Bastarnians on their spikes! Roma invictus!' Howled Rufinus, with his red plume, before he was knocked from his horse by a spear.

Eutropius is knocked from his horse in a spout of blood. Bruised but not dead, the spears clamor to his fallen body.

The Comes, knowing that this would be their last chance to break the armies that would soon thereafter pillage Elusa, and the tin and lead trade roads leading from Burdigala, and it’s famed pillars, charged, with Eutropius leading them. He was joined by the Palatina horses and infantry, and it looked as if his reinforcing elites would sort out the fatigued Goths, until Eutropius was killed on the field, thrown from his horse, and dragged to be taken captive by the guard of Hermenegild, only to be trampled by the Noble Lancers of the Gothic forces. Arrows from both sides fell amidst the carnage, finishing off the dying.

Pools of blood shed by the clash

Onwards to Elusa

When all was told, and the high sun had faded to the west, a bloody cleft was left where the two armies had met in the river valley. A mighty cheer went up among the Goths and loyalist Romans who had survived the day.

The battle proved the superiority of Noble Gothic Lancers on the open field, and they and their heavy plaited scale armor, on man as well as horse, crashed through the defending Comitensis in time to reckon with advancing Eutropius and his heavy horse. The battle was a catastrophe for the Roman forces, and a triumph for Gundulf who was injured in the groin, to the point that he was forever more flaccid, later being recalled home from the camp, thankfully having already sired several heirs to his estate after being inducted into the Amali. He kept his irretrievable parts in a funerary urn, and despised the Romans ever since. His passion for their undoing would take him deep into Spain.

The aftermath was a titanic victory for the Goths in quelling Gallica’s power, and three ranking generals of the Romans were killed, as much as a death knell for Saturninus’ return. Saturninus kept to his court in Bordeux, knowing that the walls would last an assault for years, and that the port allowed easy escape, while Tranquilus’ devastated by Eutropius’ death, fled riding with his horses and carriages past Elusa just in time to see it’s lead and tin plundered by vengeful Goths, the walled village sacked by three armies that now turned their sights on the Gallic capital at Bordeaux. Tranquilus took refuge in Pompaelo, in the province of Tarraconensis, a thorn that would remain elusive in the heel of the Gothic empire.

Trapstila had gained his needed victory, to appease Savva, who made to the council’s demands, but the question remained if it would sate Eutharic that the Dux Bellorum Eutropius was dead. Peace lay in Tranquilus’ defeated court, and whether Eutharicus, paranoid of another Roman surge, would accept any such gesture.

Hermenegild and wounded Gundulf inherit the crumbling Roman vestiges of Gaul

The history of the Aquitaine from the spring to summer of 433- A fresh military initiate named Tzazo takes command of the remnants of Gundulf's army and leaves a garrison in Elusa, as the stoats close in on Bordeaux

Last edited by Lugotorix; August 08, 2015 at 06:45 AM.

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated August- 8th

The Straw that broke the Camel's Back

-Of Spaniards-

Bordeaux -Winter- 434 A.D.

Aquileia burnt, and with it, Leovigild was believed dead. Eutharicus swore vengeance, and under his command, the Praetorian guard of Savva.

Lusitania, Baetica and Carthaginensis remain in the control of the nomadic kingdoms of the Alemanni, who have fortified their position as the third greatest power in the world. The German kingdom grows restless but assurances are assurances.

Saturninus refused to leave by port, saying that he would die an honorable dignified Roman death. That was no longer in his hands. He would be returned to captivity in the reconquered prison on Corsica, and live out his days in ignominy.

Of the three generals now left in charge of the war against Gallica, Tzazo, although arrogant, favored peace with the Roman high command, and Hermenegild was very fond of Romans and Roman culture, and saw that the time to focus on the Huns, which had moved as far as north-west of the Alps had come, and the war with the Gallic Romans had ended, while Gundulf, commanding both of them, swore allegiance to Eutharicus’ desire to hunt Tranquilus to the ends of the earth.

Bordeaux was besieged following the defeat of Eutropius, and Hermenegild, speaking latin, immediately sent envoys to the court of Tranquilus and his puppet ruler beyond the encircled walls of Bordeaux, Saturninus, looking for a peaceful solution to end the war.

Tranquilus accepted that peace and perhaps non-aggression was in order, both to keep a balance on the Alemanni to the north, and the Huns which trespassed at will near Vesontio. Even the Caledonians were a threat to him, now confined in Spain. In return for the remains of Eutropius for a burial in Tarraco, and titles within the lands he conceded to the empire, he would have peace. He told this to Guitifrida, as placid as a dove. His passion for the war had died with his best commander, he spoke earnestly.

I implored to Eutharicus to accept that the war was over. Savva had made good on his promises, although he remained aloof to me. The raids against the citizens of Rome and Ravenna had ended, and Chlotsuintha was now in the protection of Gaatha’s son Vandalarius, the whelp prince of Theoderic’s estate.

Eutharicus instead chastised Hermenegild for his overtures, and demanded that his half-sister be placed back in the tower, so that she could never travel to Pompaelo in Tarraconensis and make good on Tranquilus’ offer. In order to strike in the Roman heart of Spain at Tarraco, the young emperor would need to bypass the domain of the Princeps Dux of Hispania, the man crippled by Achilius, Labienus. Once Eutharicus realized she had absconded with the Taifali prince Vandalarius, he issued a warrant for her arrest, on dubious charges of beastial affection to a lesser order of men in the Taifali. He would rage for hours at Savva for ceasing his raids, and threaten to replace him with a more loyal man in Leovigild. They were lovers, it had become clear, from Achilius’ skulking, but that bond had been broken with the exposure both parties being brought to power brought. And severed affairs were bitter enough. I knew then, that Eutharicus had inherited too much fear from his grandfather. What a spiteful spider. This went beyond my oaths sworn to Vithericus to uphold the Imperial house, and my oaths to serve the house of the Amali. For Rome, and the house of the Amali to survive, Eutharicus had to be removed from office.

Achilius was ordered to conduct a series of assasinations against Roman commanders in Hispania, two of which were successful. I consulted with Gundulf, explaining to him that the favor of the Emperor would no longer be needed. I spoke as a man, with the assurances Goswintha, Queen of Goths, and Gaatha had given me. She had said, cautiously, then relieved, that Fridilo, was quite an 'unsuitable match' for her son Widimir. I reminded him that he had sired a child with Valilu, and that he would be pardoned of this, should he cooperate, as he was now in the same condition as a eunuch to the mortal world. With the Lombards, Quadrians and Marcomanni now exiles to their lands, Attila the Hun had one last victim, a sanguine taste that no gold would ever quench, his greatest foe, us, and I would need to rely on general's like Gundulf.

I then set into motion that Hispania would not be occupied but forced to capitulate, and become a tributary state of the empire, forever stopping the buffer between Tranquilus and Gundulf’s justice. I explained, that there would be no justice coming for Tranquilus, and that the war would soon be over. Labienus, would rule over his own lands, and would do so by the winter of 435. Then, after this bloody business at Bordeaux was over, Christ’s mercy would come to Tranquilus at Tarraco, delivered by Gundulf and his emissary Guitifrida.
    Chlotsuintha’s cousin Gesalec had a new employee, the heir to the empire, Savva. It had all been arranged. Savva never wanted kingship, nonetheless the position of emperor, and Eutharic, Gregory, a mockery of morality to the Roman pope, was an enemy of the state of Rome. I had tried to allay his fears, but he was too stubborn and had recently told his crier to tell the people that he would march north to meet Abjars and the Huns, refusing to see the throngs face to face.

In the fall of 434 A.D. the bogeyman Leovigild was grievously injured in a clash with Denzic, a Hunnic commander who was extorting the outlying areas of Venetia near Trieste.

I came into an agreement with the aging Gaatha and Chlotsuintha who was riding around the countryside of Italy, hiding at taverns with Vandalarius, and put my plan into action. I had another mission for Achilius, but not murder.

Rather than excuse his boorish butchery, I, using my office as count of Ancona, declared Leovigild dead to the Emperor, had his mask removed, and presented his writhing, aching arrow struck body to Savva. Achilius was with me then,

‘Who are you?’ Said Savva, with fierce sparks in his smiling eyes, as he tended to the wounds of Leovigild. He rubbed the salve of herbs over the wound. He had been in battle, as usual, not against Italian rebels, but Hunnic marauders, and was in need of relaxing, the type of unwinding that the son of the Kingslayer would enjoy.

‘No-one.’ Whimpered Leovigild. His face was scarred, grotesquely burnt, no doubt on orders from Eutharicus called Gregory, but he bore no resemblance to the older brother of Scipuar’s son, who had perished, just as Gaatha had said.

‘Have you been in a fire? Why are you so disfigured.’ Asked Savva casually. We were in one of many camps encircling Burdigala. Saturninus was expected to return to captivity. Tranquilus would be treated as an equal in peace. He snapped the haft of the arrow, and slid it back into the shin-guard of Leovigild, braising his skin.

He silently screamed. ‘Stop, it’s part of the price of service. I play the part for the Emperor, so you’ll do as he says. I’m not a warrior, I’m an actor.’ Leovigild winced and began wailing.

I spoke then, angry, long suspecting that the man was some ruse to buy Savva’s loyalty. ‘An actor that butchered Roman citizens without trial. An actor that tarnishes the memory of poor poxed Leovigild, son of the Kingslayer of the Antean High King who made war upon my domain.’ I growled then.

‘How can I repay you, Count?’ Savva asked grudgingly. He seemed surprised by my actions. I was known as an honorable man. Perhaps the necessity in honor, the needs of Rome and Ravenna had taken him aback.

‘I had hoped for peace, but the Emperor is mad with fear, and fear is dangerous in power: he has no respect for the line of succession. A man like you, in the Praetorian guard can go far, but no further than you’ve gone. When you march at the side of Eutharic to confront Denzic and Abjars, the beasts whom have flayed this poor brother, you are the Praetorian guard of Gesalec, legitimate heir to Vithericus Amalicus, by way of his brother Egica. What would you have me do with this actor?’ I summoned with a hand.

‘Bury him, as the time has long past to do. As far away from the Kingslayer and his son. Gesalec will be Emperor?’ He questioned warily. Leovigild could not protest through his squirming pain. Achilius motioned several guards to take the stretcher away.

‘As you know, Gesalec controls the coin and the mint of the empire, he offers a great deal of gleaming lucre for your continued service. Whatever pacts you have had with Eutharic have died with his order for the arrest of the rightful heir to the Empire, Clotsuintha, daughter of Widimir.’ I answered.

‘It is against my oath to raise my sword to the Emperor.’ Savva answered keenly.
    ‘Then a bed-swath of mead will do. Achilius here has assured me you will find him in no better condition than our dear subject Labienus. You will still serve the Co-Emperor, Vindonius Natta, and better so than you have ever served him, Praetorian. Better than anyone has had a chance to serve Rome.’
    Savva weighed his options but did not answer. He simply left the tent. I had made a terrible gambit, but with Achilius serving Gaatha and I, the outcome was ordained. Tzazo and Hermenegild wanted peace, Gundulf just wanted to deliver it at the end of a sword, and who was left, Sigeric who liked to look at birds lazily and had taken too many blows to the head, thicker than a whale omelet. Perhaps the least willing in all of this was Gesalec, our would be emperor, and he had agreed to pay Savva for bolstered security, I didn't say for whom.
    ‘Achilius.’
    ‘ He will be paralyzed when he meets the Steppe wolves and Abjars. Sick as the dog the bastard is, my good Count.’

Achilius make double use of his presence in Liguria to mislead Abjars into thinking that a less formidable host will be meeting him. How right he is.

Trapstilicus' alibi is in the south of Italy, far from Bordeaux, deep in the winter, against the Axumite invasion parties
    Last edited by Lugotorix; August 08, 2015 at 09:11 PM.

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated August- 8th

Two dramatic chapters in one day, that's impressive. I like the way that you show us the whole battlefield and then comment on key moments in the battle, showing us zoomed-in images which match your descriptions. I wonder what the consequences of the misdirection of The Steppe Wolves and the unsuccessful attempt on the life of Eutharic will be.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

The picture of Rufinus being knocked from his horse was great

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

Emperor Eutharicus and Scholae Palatina Guard Savva against Ajbars the Bulgar

Province of Venetia Fall 433 A.D.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I sent my knight and protégé, Filimer to march with Eutharic in his journey north to confront Ajbars the Hun, who had recently razed the vicinity of Venetia to the north of my domain. When he returned, he had quite the tale to tell me. Sometime after, he fell ill to a crippling ailment, and in one last act of malice, ordered several of the heads of house in Venetia silenced, fearing it was their plotting, reprisal for his orders to Savva and dear departed Leovigild, killed with a shovel, not a very Hunnic sounding death.
    In a coy investment to lure the Huns out of their safety in tens of thousands, a fort was erected on orders of Eutharic, north of the husk of Aquileia, who had grown very ill, after eating a dish of mussels from our new possession of Massalia. The fort was erected by the Scholae Palatina guard of Savva, formerly the Praetorian Guard. This fort was known as Golgotha, for the skulls that circled the ring of defenses on pikes. Some were deformed, bound and stretched beyond human limits, but they were all of the Asiatic vassals of Attila, some Alans and other eastern kin such as the Greuthungians, Heruli, and Scirii who served as little more than fodder and slaves in the Hunnic horde. We had been collected them for some time, in the constant conflict that had ravaged the east of our empire.

Sharp stones in the heels of the Hunnic scouts. Eutharic has used a Hunnic turncoat in his ranks to determine the composition of the enemy army

The Huns, he reasoned, would be caught in the choke points of the fort, and their arrows could not reach the inner tents Savva had set up within breaching the walls. The Huns were ill-equipped for sieges, witnessed at the deadly standstill at Diocletian’s palace by Eutharic’s grand-sire, and my emperor Vithericus. They seldom used more than battering rams, and so far from their supply line, they would have none of that.

Filimer informed me that a second fort had been erected on a high hill nearby Verona in the same province, a village that was still standing, the fort unassailable by the Hunnic horses for it’s jagged crags of rock that led up to it’s summit. There, Eutharic was nearly paralyzed, by poison he insisted, as he wretched a green and black bile into a chamber pot from his fine silk bedding that had been brought to his tent. Eutharic saw traitors everywhere, and for once, he was right to, as he was escorted by the knight of the very man who had ordered Achilius to spice his dish, at a banquet meant to celebrate his impending victory over the Huns, for which he would hold himself a triumph, with a near mortal brew. He didn’t know it, but the poison, the venom of a gedrosian krait, was instilled in glass and dissolving his innards, he would soon be dead if he kept on campaign for from the ministrations of a field surgeon.

I learned that in his march north, I was under investigation, for a meeting with Chlotsuintha that he had learned of, and association with Gaatha, and he hunted them both in those, the final days. Even young Vandalarius was not spared of suspicion after the Emperor had become ill.

I wanted him defenseless, so that Savva could take his revenge, giving the monster a clean death and end this affair and put the house of Amali in order. Chlotsuintha and Gesalec would be proposed as his successor by I, while Vindonius Natta would be once more comfortable as co-emperor, with the Roman people left in peace. Soon after, peace would come from beleaguered Saturninus and Tranquilius, under equal terms agreed to by Gesalec.

The more Huns the terrified Emperor took with him in this endeavor, the better. Our northern defense in Italy had never been more strapped, and Sigeric offered to assist in the march north with his legion, but Eutharic wanted all of the glory for himself, seeing it as a means of political relations with those Goths still loyal to him. Gone from their ranks, were any Romans, other than those in the guard, Eutharic insisting to Filimer that they could not be trusted.

A heavy rain fell on the day of the Hunnic assault, obscuring the aim and accuracy of their arrows, and not allowing them to ignite the fort from outside it. It was a grey day, melancholy, but joyous for me when I learned of it.

He was pale on the day of battle, and wretched, walking in a stooped manner. Abjars, an old thorn in our side had led an assault on Savva’s fort, and been repulsed by it’s mighty towers on the first approach. Savva wore a long scruffy beard, from months away from home in Picenum et Umbria Knowing that the time was ripe to flank the Huns from their outstretched rear, from his position north of Verona, at the impregnable niche, with the other hordes in the area to the north, crushing the Marcomans, Eutharic ordered a march for his army, joined by Filimer. It must have took every ounce of self control to prevent Filimer from throttling the sickly emperor to an early grave, knowing of our plot. He coughed raggedly and gave the order to march when they were within the horn’s distance of Savva’s fort.

Baduila, at the head of one of the reinforcing armies, and a survivor of Salona as a captain, to oversee the battle and what must be done-beside to cross of Christ Savior

Filimer led two regiments of Noble Germanic Swordmasters, while Savva’s army within the fort was composed mostly of pikes. Eutharic, for all his faults, was a sound tactician, and a brave warrior even in his pain, just personally a weakling, and knew that the Huns would not be able to pierce the walls of Golgotha fort if they crashed into elite pikes led by the Scholae Palatina of Savva.

The Huns under Abjars the Bulgar's command breach the fort to sturdy opposition

The struggle within Golgotha

Savva welcomed the battle, and by the time the reinforcing army of the Emperor was in view. He was not thinking of the welfare of his men, but rather how to give a convincing bloody fight for the fort, killing as many Huns as possible, until Eutharic was near to Ajbars archers, before surrendering it to the Huns. To do this, he resolved, he would have to lure the Nokkors to chase him to the generals tent.

The Hunnic horses, Nokkors and Devil Cavalry cascaded first against stakes and sharp beds of stones set up by the defenders, before streaming into the fort in a bid to set it ablaze, starting with the towers. Surprisingly, Ajbars' Huns and Uar foot-soldiers had eight onagers to the field, no doubt captured before they had razed Aquileia.

The onagers toll a heavy price

Eutharic became nervous, and my man his army, when several loads let loose from the onagers crashed into his approaching foot regiments, Germanic spears included. Bodies and limbs flew through the air from the explosive rounds, and it must have been in some fever that Eutharic possessed because he became uninhibited by the burning pain in his stomach and was spurred into capably ordering his men to enter the fray with the rear of the Hunnic army which was entangled within Golgotha.

He dismounted from his padded horse that had been holding him together and fell to his side, then rising, gathering his strength. ‘ Onwards, to the heir of the empire!’ He called loudly in a damaged voice. ‘Sucre lies within the walls, with Ajbars and these sallow gremlins strewn before us. No glory for Rome today, glory for the Goths.’ He finished weezing.

Savva’s men fought valiantly, and the pikes would not yield until axe wielding Nokkors, and Scirii and Heruli infantry spilled through the seams and started fighting amongst the braziers and bonfires within the camp, fight against Savva’s Scholae Palatina guard of Goths directly.

The Uar were being kept in the reserves by Abjars who freely trampled through the fort, hurling torches and laughing with glee in his eyes. The Uar were ordered to confronted the noble swordsmen of Filimer and Eutharic’s personal guard which led the advance. With the two towers guarding the southern entrance to the fort ablaze, the Hunnic army could move freely from this juncture and their overbearing number spilled from their conflict with Savva’s defending pikes for more suitable prey. Already, Savva’s pikemen had splayed the fort’s grounds with Hunnic dead all around. The ground was slick with rain and puddles of blood.

Savva springs his plan

Back in the fort, Savva entered the fray with the horse mounted Huns who were brave enough to reach the center, by the great monolith that held the banner of the Gothic empire. He clashed with several of the horse-lords before spotting his mark and instructing his captain, ‘See that the emperor’s safety is assured. I will await our victory within my tent, prepared to fall on my sword, shall we fail.’

The captain looked to him wide-eyed and bloody and entered battle once more. Savva fled on foot quickly, towards his headquarters.

Savva’s mark was Ajbars himself, who he had hoped would have been killed in the opening volleys, so that someone more reasonable could be bargained with for a peaceable surrender of the fort to Attila. Arrows cut through the tents, themselves spattered with gore from the vicious fighting for Golgotha. Savva waved his arm with all his strength, waving the puglio of Vithericus, which Ajbars remembered well, having had to trade it back to the emperor who fought to the southwest, in exchange for a massive ransom of gold along with the remains of Vithericus.

Savva entered the commander’s tent. The chest of gold was there, along with the quickest horse of the Visigothic merchant Ataulf’s colts, now stallions. He steeled his nerves. A ride to Ravenna and Ancona until his horse broke, telling of the hopeful defeat, and Eutharic’s impending demise. Then elevation and rewards for the rest of his life under the guidance of Trapstilicus the Gepid. Whether he would approve of his methods in removing Eutharic from office, remained to be seen.

Abjars the Bulgar arrived on horse with another of his pages, and dismounted, striding into the tent. He has a squashed Turkic face, with thin beady eyes, and a ragged mustache and beard.
    ‘Bulgar, I’ve been awaiting you. Before I depart, I leave you the two thousand sesterces as promised, and will raise the flag as white as a dove above this very tent.’

The Bulgar was very unaccustomed to the Latin way of speaking but asked, hesitantly, in a rasp, ‘Your liege lord still fights, and bravely, it is only right his palace guard die for him.’

Savva smiled sharply and answered. ‘ He is no longer my liege lord. You will come to more lucrative agreements with the new emperor Gesalec the Amali, his cousin.’ He used his wit to seduce his savage foe.

The Bulgar grunted something in his foul tongue 'dhou zhen!' that sounded like ‘on a penny.’ Or ‘good!’ and his page brandished his blade at Savva.

Savva held his ground. ‘We had promises that I would raise the banner of surrender.’

The Bulgar took note of his Hunnic Uar, five of them, entering the tent.

‘Venetia is ours by conquest, since you would not yield to the golden price. The banner of surrender will raise you, Praetorian, raised by us, the conquerors.’
    Savva howled in rage and rushed at the warriors, trying to seat the great horse as he did this so that he may escape.

Within minutes, the bludgeoned and pierced corpse of Savva was being raised above the tent of Golgotha with white embroidered aprons stuffed in his mouth, gut, and ears. His offal tumbled into the tents open pole entrance, hung like Judas.
    From outside the fort, Eutharic saw his lover Savva’s body being raised above the fort, urging it’s defenders to surrender. Soon white banners were raised around it. Eutharic flew into a shrill hoarse rage, and doubled his efforts to recapture the fort. He dueled with Uar warrior after warriors, swinging with the broken blade of Theoderic, re-forged, and calling for all remaining Noble swords to press the attack. Filimer kept to the edges of the battle. Filimer’s mounted brigands were approaching from the north west, but they stayed on their horses, seeing the battle’s tide, no-one was willing to die for an already captured fortification.

Surely they must have been lovers, he blanched to the color of parchment and heaved at the sight of Savva's body.

Within Golgotha, panic and chaos, the pikes being surrounded, turned to terror as the Huns surged in and took advantage of those who saw the raised white flags as a sign of surrender, and those who confused Savva’s body for an official surrender, fleeing for their lives.

Eutharic fought bravely, launching himself on weak legs through the airs, and slashing through the ranks, as white as a ghost. He dueled with a strapping Uar foot-soldiers, before his heart gave in, and he fell upon his back, gasping for air. Seething, he rose again, and pushed himself back into posture with his king’s shield, again taking to a whirling assault. Whether it was a blade or hammer of a Herulian or his condition itself, soon the Emperor spewed his guts upon the field and was dead, trampled by his men, who began to call in despair at the stricken warrior king. The Emperor of Vesi and Ostrogoths was dead, by Hunnic or Achilius’ hand, no-one knew.

Eutharicus called Gregory, slain!

Filimer began blowing on his horn for his cavalry to bear him away to the south-west, and safety in Italy. For me, this was a bitter-sweet disaster.

Ajbars the Bulgar was not killed, and I had lost a potential ally in Savva, who would help solidify Gesalec’s rule. Upon learning of the defeat, Sigeric marched north to guard Milano and Ravenna.
    Although peace would settle in the west against Gallica, and settle in Italy with fearful Eutharic gone, I would have a great deal of convincing in Gesalec’s court that he was to be the emperor that would preside over our most trying time. One thing I was convinced of by Filimer’s account, bravery was nothing without virtue, and honesty was nothing without fairness.

There in the cold, pelting rain, Eutharic the Resentful and Savva, son of the Kingslayer met their intertwined demise. A tangled web that resulted in no witnesses for Count Trapstilicus and the new order he had instilled in the Romano-Gothic Empire and their Amali dynasty of which he was now a part

Last edited by Lugotorix; August 14, 2015 at 06:36 PM.

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated August- 14th

Great chapter! A brave ending for poor fearful Eutharic, who was made to suffer physically and emotionally before his final battle.

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated August- 14th

The world at the death of Eutharic the Resentful

Amalius Trapstilicus and his lucky helmet are the guardians in a realm of coming darkness

CHAPTER VI: ASHES TO ASHES, DUST TO DUST- SHOWDOWN WITH ATTILA THE HUN

PART I: THE MILITARY TRIUMVIRATE

A NEW UNION
    Ancona
    December 434 A.D.

Ever the chronic adversary, he is killed near Verona after a battle with Filimer. The Bulgar bane of Theoderic, Vithericus, Savva, and Eutharic is finally dead.

The Axumite commander of the invasion of Italy. After fighting Odoacer and Gaiserias, he will be brought to justice.

The persistence of barbarian groups converting first to Arianism and then the Latin faith, for as long as they endured, resulted in tribal customs that shaped the church. Women could become priests, and pagan traditions such as wearing a lamb, were commonplace. Although she has difficulty converting Hunnic agents to Christianity, often involving violence, Achilius will later succeed by hiring and extorting them.

Not long after Filimer returned from the battle in Venetia and informed me of the Emperor’s fortunate demise, it was my forty-fourth winter, the winter of my birthday, in 434, when I returned from a successful battle against the Axumites under Mehadeyis in the south. Perhaps as vengeance for breaking my oaths and ordering Achilius to end the Emperor’s reign, my wife had just died an early death, and I was in mourning. Many had come to pay their respects at my keep in Ancona, both to me, and my only daughter who was learning to speak properly, Valdamerca. My wife, Livinia was wrapped in a black shall with a veneer of gossamer covering her beautiful face, and Sister Guitifrida had just read her rites of passage into the heavenly kingdom.

Vandalarius, with his blonde straight locks, knelt and placed a pink rose by her feet, on the marble altar where she lay. There had been a rebellion of Italians in Sicily at Syracuse since I had left my battles against the Axumites near Napoli and I also had received word that Achilius had murdered the foul creature Ajbars the Bulgar near Verona, after he had lost a battle to forces commanded by my own Filimer, which was a cause for celebration, even on this dark day. In Ravenna, news of Eutharic's death on the field was met with mixed reactions: those who had been given estates by him in place of the Romans, would no doubt have to restitution these properties, but those who had faced he, Leovigild, and Savva's reign of terror were overjoyed and optimistic in the prospects of a man of letters and coin such as Gesalec, who ruled from Ravenna itself and knew many of the local administrators there.

Gesalec could not attend, some business in disciplining his wayward young illegitimate child, Fredebal, but Chlotsuintha, in her debt from releasing her from Eutharic’s vile intentions, was there in respect, wearing a black dress. Those who had known her wept, but none of the nobles of Amalius did, instead bowing and ingratiating themselves to me, and me alone. Gaatha, who was as many years as me in age, was one of them, and she approached me with Chlotsuintha, beckoning her son Vandalarius from his respects. Prayer cards were being given out, and Tranquilus Insteibus had attended in truce. Gesalaec, acting as regent along with Vindonius Natta, had accepted his offer of peace, and Gallica now was a vassal of the Empire, during the truce. Whether it would hold, was dependent on how far Gundulf Yellowbeard would exert his power, and how willing the Gallic and Spaniards were to accepting the humiliating terms. He spoke with the Alemanni king Fastida who had also made an appearance. It was very clear to most people present, the crème of the empire, that the generals, notably Sigeric, Gundulf, and I now had the power in Italy and Gaul. Attius' successor ensured that the ports of Africa were friendly and trade flowed, all the way to distant Aelia Capitolina, formerly Jerusalem, which the Vandals had occupied, adding to their territories they shared with Attian governors.

If Gesalec was to be elevated to Emperor, it would be a symbolic gesture, with more of a triumvirate of the three of us ruling militarily in Gaul, Northern Italy, and the frontier under duress, where my domain lay. Filimer stood at my side and we spoke of the current political climate.
    ‘ I saw the emperor fall, it was no poison of Achilius. He would have never made it to the battlefield that way. Someone closer must have cooked the mussels, an amateur, a fledgling.’ Filimer said boldly.
    ‘I see it as trivial, Filimer, the Emperor received a clean death on the field. Many of his victims were not as lucky.’ I answered in a low voice.

I watched Tranquilus approach Chlotsuintha. There was an awkward silence, and then the two began talking, breaking the ice: perhaps there was time for a marriage between the two of them yet. He was a bit older.
    He broke his conversation with Chlotsuintha and spoke to me ‘My condolences and a thousand thanks for your intervention in the un-professional conduct of the killer Savva, Rome is forever in your debt, Trapstila. This young lady has assured me that if it were not for you, she would be in a dungeon with so many un-tried Romans and countrymen. I must say, you are forever welcome in my court at Tarraco, should you wish to spend the night.’

‘As you say. Provided Gundulf Yellow-beard doesn’t get there first.’ I said firmly, though not without levity. I jested, but there was truth in these words, Gundulf and his three children were not in attendance, preferring to ensure that Labienus and Tranquilus kept to their subjugated state, patrolling across the Pyrenees. He intended to enter Tarraco, and disarm the Romans still manning it’s walls. Once angered, Gundulf was vengeful. Bordeaux had surrendered and Saturninus was a prisoner once more. Much to the Romans furor, Bordeaux had been looted by Hermenegild on orders from Gundulf.
    Gaatha edged in and placed her arm around my hip. Quite inappropriate for a funeral, but she now seemed intent on making public our alliance in the two years of Eutharicus the Resentful’s rule.

‘Indeed, he is a credit to all serving comitensis. The pride of the Saiones, this Amalius Trapstilicus.’ She said indulgently.

I was at a loss for words. She held me tighter. Attractive and intelligent, but known for her plotting since the days of Hethin and Vithericus. ‘I might say.’ She continued. ‘The two most powerful houses in Ravenna are the house of my late husband Theoderic and my cousin Gesalec. I’ve never been in a position to thank you for your assistance in the times of the riots, and my time in the tower, and for rescuing sweet Chloe.’

‘You are as sharp as the blade of Theoderic, and as fine as the whit of the Po valley, my lady. Your company is enough.’ I answered. Tranquilus bowed and walked to discuss more matters with Fastida.
    ‘Then why not join our houses.’ She stated slyly into my ear, out of earshot from Vandalarius and Chlotsuintha.

‘The Latin church of course.’ I answered, looking her in her brilliant eyes.

‘Hethin and Theoderic were killed in battle, and Theoderic was known for his affairs. Archbishop Guitifrida has assured me it would be in sanctimony with the laws of the church.’
    ‘I loved my wife. I loved her stories. I love my daughter, Gaatha.’

‘I know, she had told me of your many affections in confidence, the more I learned, the more I yearned. And you love Filimer as a son. You’ve always wanted a boy. Who better than the heir of Theoderic the Giant himself? An older brother for your darling daughter.’
    ‘I’ve been partial to Vandalarius, yes….’ I answered.
    ‘A kiss, then?’ She asked.

A lasting marriage with Gaatha would place me at the head of the estate of Theoderic. I would have a son, a daughter, and a loyal younger friend in the Knight Filimer. It would also tie us in a bond of blood with the Amalius, as Gaatha was a cousin of Vithericus himself. Out of the three power blocs in the empire, I would be at the head of the most powerful house, rivaling even the Amalius. And, I wanted her, thinking back, though I hated myself for it at my wife’s farewell, I remembered that I always had. I smelled her perfume, and remembered longing for it in the days past. In time, the two of us could be the tribal chiefs of Amalius, recognized by the people, with Gesalec’s blessing.

‘You are quite the wicked woman. I warn you, this will not be spurious.’ I said, before I could finish speaking she kissed me on the lips, and before I knew what was happening I felt warm and my hands were around her curly black raven hair, looking passionately in her green eyes. Perhaps it was to shake off the winter’s chill, and the chill of death. I kissed her again, and again, each with more strength, until I noticed Vandalarius looking at us strangely.
    ‘ I’ll begin cooking the lamb.’ Chlosuintha said as soon as we had stopped, as it might have distressed her to see a man who had helped her in a fatherly way, and her cousin embrace.

Filimer spoke to her. ‘Since when have you picked up cooking Princess? I’ll help you. I only hope you haven’t picked up any habits from your grandmother.’

‘Oh, but I have, Filimer.’ Chlotsuintha replied, beckoning towards the cellar and kitchen across the stone steps of the hall.

Last edited by Lugotorix; August 14, 2015 at 07:09 PM.

An important choice for Trapstila - to marry Gaatha who is 'Attractive and intelligent, but known for her plotting...' - an ideal wife for the new head of the most powerful house in the Empire? We'll see.

CAUGHT COLD- ATTILA'S TERROR IS UPON ITALY

Attila is now king, and concentrates all of his endeavors on bringing punishment to Italy. His mind is bent on it. His lieutenants and many sons are wiped out by the ruthless assassin Achilius, who has sent him to the surgeon’s cot in disguises more than once. Achilius, like a poor marksman, keeping on missing, as his spy network eliminates the more seasoned rungs of the Hunnic armies. It is feared that Attila will have to be removed from his Kingship on the field, by Trapstila or Sigeric, lest Italy burn

Trapstilicus emerges from the power vacuum left by his rival, Eutharic’s death, stronger from the trial.

By 435 A.D. the world was facing a singular struggle. The Huns, long content to prey on Illyria, Dalmatia, Pannonia, and Dardania, and Hercynia in the south of Germania, the lands east of Italy, were now honing in on their prize, Rome and Ravenna themselves, and at the point of this invasion was Mediolanum, Milano, former seat of Honorius’ empire. The world had seen forty years of Attila’s life, and it could not endure another ten.

Long divided and thus successfully combated by the Gothic empire in Italy, and their Germanic allies, the Thuringians, Marcomans, Lombards, Quadians and Rugians, Attila ordered his forces to concert on an invasion through Venetia, and then sweep across the north in a crippling blow to the fertile lands governed by the Goths. This form of blanket waves through Liguria, would divide the defenders of Italy to the nearest standing army, which was in Aquiae Sextae. Attila reasoned that terror would keep the defenders hunkered down, hiding from Hunnic numbers in their walled cities, until a ransom could be extracted. He had hoped that the Goths would be willing to cede a great deal of their empire to him for peace, and he was mistaken. Aquileia had been rebuilt, centered around Venice, but war was returning to that corridor, and in more terrifying numbers than before. Over five thousand soldiers sacked the rebuilding town and spilled into Italy. Only the loyal legion of the Dacian Romans and their Scholae Palatinae, and a Quadrian horde, chased from their homes into their protector's arms, remained. That and the two legions of Sigeric and Trapstila, whose marriage to Gaatha had put him in line to be the Marshal of the War effort.

Attila saw that the empire had divided it’s forces to the west, in the costly war against Gallica, and struck at an opportune time, running their horses over the ruins of Venice and attacking Verona. The Germanic allies of the Goths were gone, with some of the few survivors, the Lombards of Wulfhard living a nomadic life at war against the Alemanni and Gaulish Romans in Hispania, and allies were beginning to flock to the side of the Huns and Attila, starting with the Burgundians.

In 435, Gesalec, going on advice from Trapstila, saw that the Lombards would make an excellent vanguard force of local muscle to hold down rebellion and ensure Gallica’s compliance in Gaul and Hispania, once Gundulf had marched home to confront the Huns. Having witnessed their homeland abandoned in the years leading up to Vithericus and Theoderic’s death, the Lombards had broken their alliance with the Goths, and served only Wulfhard, his general’s Vulfgang, and Theotehelm and a warlord champion named Chlodulf. To buy their loyalty and renew the alliance, Gesalec negotiated that Elusa in the south of the Aquitaine, would be an ideal spot for the Lombards to settle, and hence serve the interests of their Gothic partners, who would rebuild the town, and make it a walled settlement in the Germanic tradition. Fastida, the Alemanni King, who had much territory in southern Spain, took exception to this ploy, and it was rumored that his eldest son Chodovech, had sworn to destroy the Lombards for their ominous stance and trespassing on Alemanni lands, frightening and taking women for themselves. Quite unbecoming of their new Latin faith.

Gesalec had a quiet coronation as the third emperor of the Goths, and the negotiations had succeeded. The Lombards settled in Aquitaine, and Trapstila was elevated, along with his wife Gaatha to the seat of Tribal Chiefs of the Amalius, with plans to appoint him the ‘warlord’, Magister Miletum of the Goths, in charge of the entire defense operation against the Huns.
    Also in 435, Vindonius Natta died of natural causes, leaving his wife Hunila, the sister of the emperor a widow, and the position of co-emperor was vacated, with the local dux and exarchs presiding over affairs of defense. The Roman high command succeeded Vindonius with his son, who was not yet old enough to rule. The Triumvirate was still in place, but the winner of the power game had been Trapstila, and he now stood with ninety one percent of the nobles supporting him. Some believed that Gesalec was a figurehead, but Gesalec was building a reputation as very capable in organizing the defense, and building immense walls across the cities of Italy to prepare for the Huns arrival, and had taken most of the credit for the new alliance with the Lombards. Trapstila was further humbled when one of the women he had been keeping as a mistress, the widow,Ereleuva, gave birth to a daughter, Eliande, giving the impression that the great general could not produce male heirs, only gain them by alliance. Most knew the child was Trapstila’s but he did not take her into his home, as it was forbidden by Gaatha.

Like Ephialtes, the nightmare of ancient times from Thermopylae, a Caucasian named Arxa, leads the Huns into an opening in the Romano-Gothic defenses

Spear-heading the Hunnic advance was a relic of an older age. Ever since Saphrax had participated in the battle of Adrianople, the Eastern Roman Empire in it’s old incarnation had been opposed to Gothic rule. With the more recent wars against the Romans, the Goths had inherited enemies from among the vassals of the Eastern Emperor. Abasgia, or Abkhazia was ruled by a series of hereditary archons, and was a princedom of Eastern Roman authority. When the Eastern Empire became dominated by the Domatian Emperors, the Georgian states of Lazica and Abasgia joined in rebellion against the new Roman authority.

Archon Arxa the Lion, the Abasgian, perceived as a Christian traitor with a vendetta against the old empire.

More recently, the father of an Archon Arxa, had been executed in Trebizond by a Domatian, and the son led an expeditionary force to take vengeance on Vindonius, seeing the empire weakened by the efforts of the Huns and the war with the Gallic Romans. The northern caucauses on the black sea were in close proximity to the Hunnic vassals of the steppe, and when the Eastern alliance came to a bitter end, a defensive alliance was signed with Attila, and the lions of Abasgia were given safe passage to the gates of Italy by the monster.

Archon Arxa was seen by Eutharic, and later Gesalec, as a traitor to Christianity, but nonetheless had a bone of contention with the Romans and Goths, and his independent army could take it’s own initiative and predations, opportunistically drawing the Romano-Goths into battle, and then waiting for their Hunnic allies to arrive.

They arrived to the scene in Italy in the early months of 436, while the creeping cold of these years descended on Liguria and the alps, with Arxa commanding many Armenian spears and artillery that would be used in the sieges to come.
    Arxa was the only general in this Gothic history to win every battle he was faced with, and also the only to escape justice until his death.

Not knowing that the Burgundians and Abasgians were marching into Italy with the Huns, giving them an infantry advantage of heavy spears, Gundulf took his time occupying Pompaelo, which had been ceded by Labienus, and defied orders by marching to Tarraconensis to ensure that the Gallic disarmament was going as intended. Tranquilus, now back at home in Tarraco, took great offense to this, and protested formally to the court of Gesalec, who ordered Gundulf Yellow-beard to stand down.
    Due to miscommunication, Gundulf never received the missive, and instead called for the Lombards to march south and assist him with the task of disarming Roman Hispania once and for all at Tarraco, and the forces of Roman Spain under Traquilus, and Gaius Bruttius Structus clashed with the Goths north of Caesaraugusta. Hermenegild was partial to Gundulf's ambition, and marched for Gallaecia to confiscate the last remaining fief of Gallica. and the triumvirate was coming unhinged.

Last edited by Lugotorix; August 21, 2015 at 02:41 AM.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated August- 20th

Offering the Langobards land in return for their military service seems pretty much like a foederati agreement which, I think, fits well with how Romanized your Ostrogoths are. There seem to be a lot of factions in your game that are far from home
    PS I thought it was funny that an army is named "Just a Game"

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

Default Re: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Fall of The Romano-Gothic Empire- Updated August- 20th

Quote Originally Posted by waveman View Post
    Offering the Langobards land in return for their military service seems pretty much like a foederati agreement which, I think, fits well with how Romanized your Ostrogoths are. There seem to be a lot of factions in your game that are far from home
    PS I thought it was funny that an army is named "Just a Game"
    That's Widimir's (The Heir) legion. He looked a bit like my buddy who had died in the military, so I had to take a step back. Yeah, I agree, it's very much like a foederati agreement. I wanted to see them evolve from that point on and become more powerful in the region as allies, kind of like what I had done with Epirus in the Black-hearted Lords of Thrace.

Huginn and Muninn

Caesaraugusta in Hispania

March, 436

Gundulf the Yellow-Beard watched the rain fall over the windswept valley in near Caesaraugusta in Spain. The humidity of the spring in the valley was coming, and with it, sickness. The Lombards marching for Theothelm at his instructions had arrived to the field too late, and casualties had been severe. It was a terrible season for fighting. Slick ground made for uneasy footing. When the blood mixed with water it had the consistency of an oil. Thanks be to the father, that his youngest of many children Valilu was back at home in Bordeaux. Eraric was there, his oldest boy, learning how to fight like his father, and Vithimiris would soon be of age to pick up a training rudius. His men were dying out there, on the sodden field. Puddles of blackish water pooled over the few places of footing there were. He had just ordered the march north, to the hills, not having the composure and discipline to press onwards to Tarraco, not with his army in it’s ragged shape. Then men were spent.

A priest read the rites to the fallen, gravely. How the angel of death had descended upon this field, his scout killed by the Romans for trespassing, and then to the bloody clash. There were two Ravens upon the sky, one of Huginn, one of Muninn, and from this death would come triumph at a pitched siege of Tarraco. He would order scorpions and onagers constructed from the timber of the hills.
    The loyal men here would need to be left to the elements, to the wolves, to starvation. He prayed the wolves would take them sooner. He had already instructed half of his number, Gothic spear masters all, to march into Caesaraugusta, and hold it while his men lived off the land for several days. They had been ordered to loot anything of value to a decimated force from the town, and bring it to the fort.

When the rain passed, there would be sunlight, and then the stinking humidity that clogged ones breathing until your insides ached. Golgotha couldn’t have been worse.

He had won this day, but at a grisly price. The Roman cavalry, waves of them, had almost forced his spears into a route, before the Lombards with their Horse Hewers and Scaled Clubmen began to break down the Roman charges. His army, wasted, his dreams of a triumph in Rome, squandered, and his dream of trumping Trapstilicus’ marriage to Gaatha, destroyed. A messenger approached on a horse, and upon taking sight of the battle, climbed off his horse and began screaming, and tugging at his hair. Gundulf could not tell if it was at dismay of the sight of Gothic dead, but ordered his guards to bring him the messenger, whose horse carried the banner bearing the seal of Amalius Egica, indicating that this was word from the Emperor Gesalec himself, who had recently donned the armor of Vithericus. The man could not fight, no, but the blonde accountant would look regal nonetheless, thought Gundulf. He wringed his hair and beard from the blood, mud and grime that had sullied it in the torrent of rain. Weary eyed he spoke to the messenger. ‘What word from the Emperor?’

‘A letter, lord, I’ve read it myself. The war is over. The Lombards will cease their aggression and Tranquilus and the citizens of Tarraco will disarm peaceably. Too much of bloodshed already, my lord.’ Said the messenger weakly. Gundulf could tell he was exhausted.

‘I don’t believe it. Let me see the money-bagged Cretin’s words for myself.’ Gundulf said, madly.

The messenger searched his jerkin, finding a caulked scroll, encased in glass. ‘The rain, lord Gundulf. Read it in your tent.’

Gundulf would have none of this foolery. ‘We don’t have time for an afternoon lunch. I mean to make eager on the shanks of those lambs I’ve chased over the hill to Tarraco. Two nights at fort only.’
    His guard rushed the messenger and grabbed the scroll case from him.

The seal was broken, true to the messenger’s word, and the rain was falling heavy. Already the bodies began to make his nearest guards wretch bile.

Dear Gundulf, Commander of the Legio X Gemina of Leon.

I hope this finds you well, north of the border to Caesaraugusta, free land of the Romans. The Roman Rex of Gallica and Tarraconensis has sent protest at your continued march into his sovereign land. We need you at home, friend. The Archon Arxa, a traitor to Christ almighty, Judas Iscariot of the Abkhazians has breached our resettlement of Aquileia and Venezia, and now wanders freely with over ten thousand horses in the center of Liguria itself. Thus far, Sigericus, Fritigernus, and Trapstilicus have been successful in clotting this wound to Italy, but In the coming months, your help will be needed if we are to prevent the defilement of Segusio, Milano, and Aquiae Sextae. A Hunnic army has passed the western ranges of the Alps and makes bad intentions toward Septimania. You are ordered to intercept them, and if you prove victorious, rendezvous with Sigericus in central I+aiy wher3 O o - . You will ensure peace for Tranquilus, a king who has shown good g43ces anp oOo o o O() o O . oO.oO()----------------Leave Tranquilus’ londs at On-e () oOo.oO.oOOoO I promise you and your children_()__----------

The ink soon made a splotchy mess of the parchment. ‘I couldn’t read the damn thing.’ Gundulf looked incredulously to his guards, and said coldly to the messenger. Like the Godan of Theothelm of the Lombards, his glory had no time to take heed.
    ‘Are you blind? Great lord Gundulf, general of the Aquitaine, your legion of Leon is needed at home!’ The messenger protested.
    ‘My orders are final. We will not march home with our tail between our legs to certain death at the hands of the Huns. We will sail from the port of Tarraco with Spanish conscripts. Send word to Hermenegild that I march forward after a day’s rest in the hills to the north of here. He is ordered to leave the Gallaecian Romans to their pathetic devices, and to see if he can break the wandering Huns at Septimania. The Alamans will take possession of Gallaecia for our cause. I would follow Tranquilus to the gates of hell, for what he has wrought today! Look after my dead men here, Tranquilus’ men have already broken their truce.’

‘My lord!’ The messenger squealed.

‘As for you, it’s better to be blind that a mute. Take his bloody tongue, Amalasuinth Two-Stone.’ His guard nodded and made for the messenger.

Septimus Orangius Cotta and Bruttius Structus awaited, guarding their King, Tranquilius, awaited him in retreat near Tarraco itself, he would have to hear what the Emperor’s thoughts would be, now that these Romans had not lain down their arms peacefully, and had entered into rebellion once more.

Amalasuinth Two-Stone gave pause to his commander, after the blood-curdling business was done. ‘The sun does not shine yet, Lord Gundulf. The rains will continue for some days. We may have to face the Romans bogged down by our own armor, in the mud. Our cavalry will be useless. The Romans would favor that to a siege.’

‘Then to the bitter end it will be, fore I will have the Roman King thrown from his throne before I ever retreat. I will reinforce Italy by boat, by my beard’ ‘Do you hear me? He shouted to the winds and the hills’ ‘I will have you, Tranquilus!’ The only reply was the howling of wolves and the caws of the ravens.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; August 21, 2015 at 02:44 AM.