View Poll Results: Would you like to see missile block chance get a bonus on fresh/active units?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Yes.

The results are hidden 0%
  • No.

• Undecided/Other/Read My Post

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tuskmod - Original thread

Default Re: Tuskmod

Sounds interesting, going to give it a try. One question though: When you say
    "Friendly Fire hitboxes have been adjusted to match standard hitboxes, the vanilla friendly fire hitboxes were 144% larger."

I am understanding this to mean that they were 2.4 times larger than the normal hitboxes. Or do you mean 144% of the size
    of the normal ones (factor 1.4)?
    Whatever the answer, this seems highly necessary, currently it feels like your units are actively trying to catch friendly arrows.
    Thx a lot :-)

Your men were normally 20% fatter, and 20% taller in vanilla. Whats 1.2X1.2? 1.44.

Edit: In other news, those who are waiting on double garrisons will be excited to hear of the new changes in 1.2.1. Actually, you will like it a lot: Greatly expanded garrisons on development, or, "Making my settlements larger in any way may eventually add some garrisons." Resulting in more varied, and larger garrisons in developed provinces.

Expect a few common themes, not everything will come in the first garrisons update (As working with garrisons alone is the most frustrating thing I have done while modding Attila,) but expect some major improvements to garrisons in the next patch:

Settlements: Nearly every faction has a faction with lore similar to being a peacekeeper, landowner, or as a palace guard. Expect to see these be in nearly every settlement that you are correctly set up to use, alongside the more "Levy" style garrison units.

Animal Husbandry: Slingers are common from animal husbandry buildings, as slings are genuinely very useful for herding animals.

Grain Fields, Town Sanitation: Scout units, when a building implies a large area of controlled land, it will also add some units which reasonably could be patrolling the region.

Any building involving smoking food or curing animal meat/leather: Expect some archers.

Religious buildings: A good number of cannon fodder units, and a handful of high morale units.

Industrial buildings: Typically, a unit which come from industrial buildings, the non military industrial buildings will focus on militia style units, the more militaristic industrial buildings will focus on military hardware.

Legacy buildings (Roman factions) Traditional roman units, cohors, ETC ETC.

The replacements to legacy buildings (Roman factions) Reformed roman-units, cavalry for the ERE, crossbows for the WRE.

Military buildings: Free Samples.

Temple/Alter to Fire: Just guess.

(Current number of entries: 138, soon to be 180, areas covered: Germanic industry, and all settlement changes.)
    Last edited by Walrusjones; April 03, 2015 at 12:07 AM.

Nevermind, I am stupid.

So I've noticed archers mostly but I can literally win (or lose) a fight purely because of missile units now. Is there anything you recommend I try out to simply see to balance?

With this mod, I am trying to put the game in a state where there is an evolving metagame again. For a while, missile units were gloriously overpowered, until I split some of the features supporting them into a submod.

I have wanted to host a tournament in this mod to better test the game balance, to see what ends up deciding the battles in tournaments: Some factions should have missile units serve as their defining trait, similar to how some should have their cavalry serve as a defining factor, and some should focus on infantry, or formations. What tournaments are good at is determining which branch of this ecosystem determines battles too often.

Right now, at this very moment, I am working on some big, campaign focused changes. (I am at like, 600 something lines added to the files, and maybe half done?)

Quote Originally Posted by Walrusjones View Post
    With this mod, I am trying to put the game in a state where there is an evolving metagame again. For a while, missile units were gloriously overpowered, until I split some of the features supporting them into a submod.

I have wanted to host a tournament in this mod to better test the game balance, to see what ends up deciding the battles in tournaments: Some factions should have missile units serve as their defining trait, similar to how some should have their cavalry serve as a defining factor, and some should focus on infantry, or formations. What tournaments are good at is determining which branch of this ecosystem determines battles too often.

Right now, at this very moment, I am working on some big, campaign focused changes. (I am at like, 600 something lines added to the files, and maybe half done?)
    Thats a good idea to test balance out. Currently playing the Sassanids and running 4 royal persian archers and they're literally mowing down people. 300-450 kills per fight. They feel alot like linemen in Empire/FOTS.

Royal Persian archers cost as much as practically all of the best cavalry units in the game, for a frame of reference, but I can imagine that with the new accuracy scores, their ammo count may be a little too high.... (I will test this more, of course.)

Can you list what units you are getting 300-450 kills on, as such a thing would be very normal for most crossbow units firing on early game Germanic units...

Also, are you using the submod?

Royal Persian archers cost as much as practically all of the best cavalry units in the game, for a frame of reference, but I can imagine that with the new accuracy scores, their ammo count may be a little too high.... (I will test this more, of course.)

Can you list what units you are getting 300-450 kills on, as such a thing would be very normal for most crossbow units firing on early game Germanic units...

Also, are you using the submod?
    I'm only using the mod and I will try out a battle later. Currently pushing into ERE territory so it seems to be a lot of Legio, Sagitarri, Funditore and some Equite/Arab mercs.

I use heavy shot vs their infantry
    Normal shot vs Missiles
    Fire vs Cav

This sounds like fairly optimal use, actually.

As for the amount of damage they are doing relative to their ammo pool, this is a good reference for how scary high accuracy units could be.

For further tweaking the balancing you may want to tweak the weapon lengths of spears and lances, since these are all 1. The same as swords which seems odd.
    It is explained rather well in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poopmN-X7NA.

crap nevermind just saw that you did , seems that I can't read.

Yeah not just that but they have roughly 60% of the missile damage javs have (I think its much lower in Vanilla). Reference : Javs 90 missile damage, 50 base for Royal Persian Archers.

Relative to their ammo I'm unsure. I spam gather arrows all the time and my archers have yet to run out of arrows in a battle/

Quote Originally Posted by Korvyr View Post
    Yeah not just that but they have roughly 60% of the missile damage javs have (I think its much lower in Vanilla). Reference : Javs 90 missile damage, 50 base for Royal Persian Archers.

Relative to their ammo I'm unsure. I spam gather arrows all the time and my archers have yet to run out of arrows in a battle/
    Scavenge is both nerfed, and a submod in the current version.

The Royal Persian Archers base damage is also (45 the same as in vanilla,) odds are, the increased damage is from general modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by A_RandomDude View Post
    crap nevermind just saw that you did , seems that I can't read.
    This was litterally the first change this mod ever made, and I have studied the effects of it quite a bit.

Scavenge is both nerfed, and a submod in the current version.

The Royal Persian Archers base damage is also (45 the same as in vanilla,) odds are, the increased damage is from general modifiers.

This was litterally the first change this mod ever made, and I have studied the effects of it quite a bit.
    Isnt Vanilla jave damage like 75-90?

90-100 damage for Javelin units except one.

Roman precursors do 80, and one Nordic unit uses ridiculously weak wooden javelins (In tuskmod, they have WAAAY more of them, and vastly improved accuracy.)

I haven't increased Sassanid archer damage at all.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; April 06, 2015 at 04:37 PM.

90-100 damage for Javelin units except one.

Roman precursors do 80, and one Nordic unit uses ridiculously weak wooden javelins (In tuskmod, they have WAAAY more of them, and vastly improved accuracy.)

I haven't increased Sassanid archer damage at all.
    Damn so i guess Sassa's just have OP archers lol.

45 damage archers were REALLY common in the vanilla game: Every German, Horde, and the Sassanids had it, its just that every archer also had 0 accuracy score.

The Royal Persian archers are just more accurate then in vanilla. The ammo gathering abilities are an optional submod that can be turned off if you wish to do so.

Edit: The OP has been edited to have a link to the announcement thread for a tournament, for this mod.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; April 06, 2015 at 07:26 PM.

Still a question about the weapon length though, because the heavy spear has a length of 1 while the short spear has the length of 1.5 and the normal 2. Is this balancing decision or a typo?

The heavy spear was intended to be a variant of the cavalry spear, it was recently that a patch made it an infantry weapon.

The dynamic of the most efficient cavalry killing spearmen struggling in infantry combat became a dynamic that I came to enjoy, and thus, I left it that way.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; April 07, 2015 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks a bunch for contributing to the TW: Attila mod scene! My question is if Tuskmod is compatible with Radious, as far as you know?

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by dynadave View Post
    Thanks a bunch for contributing to the TW: Attila mod scene! My question is if Tuskmod is compatible with Radious, as far as you know?
    No way.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast