View Poll Results: Would you like to see missile block chance get a bonus on fresh/active units?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Yes.

The results are hidden 0%
  • No.

• Undecided/Other/Read My Post

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tuskmod - Original thread

Icon6 Tuskmod - Original thread

Tuskmod 1.3: Tuskflash for the beta of 1.4 is here.

Link to the tournament.

TLDR of what is in this mod:
    UI Fix.
    Land Battle Rules Modifications.
    Reworked Slings and Bows.
    Reworked Pike Movement.
    Fully Reworked weapon tables.
    Reworked Stances.
    Unit Diversification.
    Basic Cost and Recruitment modifications for campaign (Will add more.)
    Altered cavalry movement.
    More varied, deep, missile dynamics.
    Reworked impact dynamics.

Recommended factions to try in version 1.1:
    WRE, Vandals, Caledonians. Things are getting pretty nice in the west.

Steam Workshop link. - For the version that updates itself.
    New Download Link. - For Tuskmod 1.3 Slower Battle Speed, and Dynamic Garrisons are now available!
    Link to the Tournament and multiplayer versions thread.
    Link to the steam group, where you can find other players, ask questions, or get news about the mod.

In Detail:

The role distribution of units: Units have been partitioned into subclasses, to speed future balancing efforts, and improve unit diversity. Currently, a lot of units will steer away from the general pattern as this is currently the work of one individual, over two weeks. I haven't done enough testing to get balance perfect. Hopefully, you all can help.

Abilities:

Abilities have been reworked a bit: Stamina penalties are no longer a guaranteed exhaustion, and abilities now describe how a unit springs back to life when it starts to grow tired. Expect abilities in general to be a little more powerful and exciting. In the first phase of an ability, expect rising stamina, in the second, expect falling stamina.

Expect more interesting, and counter focused side effects to abilities then there was before: For example, Frenzy reduces missile block chance, and Use the Whip damages morale.

Cavalry:

• Melee cavalry now has a greater variety of impact dynamics.
      • Light cavalry don't penetrate enemy formations very far, making it easy to escape.
      • Medium cavalry penetrate cavalry formations well, and unbraced infantry, making them effective against fleeing enemy cavalry, and maneuvering enemy infantry.
      • Heavy cavalry will penetrate even braced formations to some extent, making escape difficulty, but allowing for some serious damage output.

• Lighter cavalry start charging at a longer distance away from the target, and reach faster maximum speeds.
    • Cavalry bow precursors have had ammo increased slightly. This has been done a second time for the Huns.
    • The Bonus Versus Infantry all units got if they were mounted has been moved to the Cavalry Sword and Axe, rather then being a basic rule of the game.

Ranged combat:

• Foot Archers have had attributes diversified.
      • Germanic archers have good range, above average accuracy, but poor damage.
      • Persian archers combine incredible accuracy with above average range, and damage.
      • Hunnic archers have great rates of fire, and damage.

• Foot Archers and Slingers may gather ammunition on the battlefield. Slingers gather more ammo at once, but take longer in doing so. - This has been moved into a submod, based on user request.
    • Javelin Infantry have received defensive formations to help them fill the role of early game burst damage, before transitioning into being the last line of defense in the final stages of the battle.
    • Light Javelins have 95 range, Heavy Javelins have 80 range.
    • Crossbowmen are practically untouched for now, as they were already very good.
    • Javelin cavalry generally has Parthian shot now.
    • Bow and Crossbow cavalry don't seem to need many changes at the moment, and have been left mostly unchanged.
    • Fatigue negatively impacts accuracy.
    • The accuracy attribute is now being utilized in a large batch of units, as an experiment.
    • Friendly Fire hitboxes have been adjusted to match standard hitboxes, the vanilla friendly fire hitboxes were 144% larger.
    • Archers recover fatigue more slowly when reloading and firing.
    • Horse archers now have gotten a balance pass: Horse archers that lack Parthian shot have far higher reload skill and, and accuracy then those that do have Parthian shot. This helps forward only horse archers use more lethal munitions in their limited amount of firing time, such as heavy shot.
    • Standard shot has an accuracy bonus.
    • Heavy and flaming shot arc more, making it so they are easier to fire over friendly units.
    • Firing rapidly causes fatigue, and fatigue damages accuracy.

Infantry:

• Late game one handed axe infantry no longer experiences attribute stagnation.
    • Infantry weapons have been specialized further: The Roman swords have been redefined to represent swords meant to be used with stabbing, and the more standard swords reflect swords that are mostly being used for hacking/slashing.
    • Units in infantry formations now walk at a much more brisk pace, especially pikes.
    • Infantry formations have been diversified:
      • Shield wall is the primary anti infantry formation, however, locking shields together prevents men in the unit from being able to protect their head and shoulders, increasing the units vulnerability to missile fire.
      • Spear wall and defensive testudo have been made more similar, but currently defensive testudo is still completely stationary.
      • Offensive Testudo is more about advancing though missiles, and has been buffed in this area, however, it is not as good in an actual fight anymore (Of course, the bugs prevented it from applying in actual fights at all, hopefully, CA will fix its behavior, as I am having a hard time finding a working behavior for it.)
      • Pike Phalanxes used the back ranks of pikes as an overhead screen against arrows historically. This is now represented in game: Killing a Pike Phalanx frontally is VERY expensive, they are more stubborn when hit with charges, and more missile resistant.

• Weak/Worthless weapons have been given slight pity buffs, see the Nordic Seax.
    • Bonus versus infantry is now an attribute that belongs to blunt weapons only when looking at infantry hand to hand weapons.
    • Armor piercing damage ratios have been made to work more like the player would expect, rather then serving simply as a minimum damage value.
    • Bracing has been made considerably stronger, bracing starts applying when units are at least three ranks deep, and greatly multiplies their mass.
    • Impact damage has been increased, killing a greater number of troops who stand in silly spaghetti formations.
    • Spaghetti formations incentives have been greatly weakened and withered outside of the above changes.

Faction Specific:

• Alamanic Scavengers can now scavenge javelins from the battlefield, as is their namesake.
    • Gothic Archers are dedicated anti-cavalry archers, with the tooltip "Aims for the Horse."
    • Visigothic Slingers have an experimental ammo type, in the form of pots of flaming pitch:
      • Very effective against light infantry, and cavalry.
      • Shields tend to not do much against it, but mail armor tends to perform brilliantly against it.
      • Very little is better at burning down settlements then this ammo type.
      • I spent a long time trying to figure out a method of generating fire that was believable, pretty, and not hard on the computer. Enjoy. (It involves using low-no damage shrapnel to simulate pitch splattering.)

• The Danes have certain naval units unlocked as land units, as an experiment.
    • The Huns have almost every pattern of cavalry available to them.
    • The Celtic javelin cavalry is capable in melee defense.
    • The Ebdanian cavalry have been turned into melee cavalry: Five units of javelin cavalry is far more then I can figure out how to integrate into a faction.
    • The Calidonian archers are a capable anti-cavalry force in their own right.

Sieges:

• Towers have been redesigned to serve as more of a passive damage source, rather then a constant source of guaranteed kills. More projectiles, but less damage and range.

Campaign:

• Unit recruitment has been tweaked in this version.
      • Hordes can expect to see more fair unit recruitment compared to their civilized counterparts. For example, Bagaude are not denied to migratory franks.
      • Levy units tend to have more forgiving recruitment times on the empires.

• Military ports no longer cause squalor when undamaged, but cost a small maintenance cost.
    • Ships now have discounted maintenance when docked.
    • The roman factions AI has been tweaked, they should like melee infantry significantly more.
    • Several garrison submods now exist, which greatly alter the flow of the campaign. Dynamic garrisons is the most complicated, and balanced one.

Whats next:

The Redefining of unit subcategories is mostly done, hopefully, unit diversity should feel better with this version. Some people may feel that balance is better, but this is mostly due to separation of redundant units into subclasses.

The Next phase will be balancing out the subcategories, and resorting units based on community feedback. Additionally, in this phase, I hope to make more campaign focused improvements: Certain obsoletes will be broken, however, many will stay in place.

• Unit upgrades which represent a growing cultural identity will stay (Generic culture group unit -> Faction/Subculture unit upgrades.)
    • Unit upgrades which are one unit being replaced with an elite version of itself will go (Savran Cavalry -> Elite Savran Cavalry.)
    • Unit upgrades which turn one unit into a unit nothing like themselves will go (Gothic Warband -> Gothic Falxmen.)
    • Unit upgrades which replace your culture specific Warband will go (Hunnic Mounted Warband -> Hunnic Horsemen.)

For now, this is a weeks work from one modder, working on building onto the vanilla experience, rather then completely replacing it. Enjoy.

Installation:
    As the steam workshop will not be open for a month or two, we will need to do with a manual installation.

1. Download the Zip/Rar/Pack.
    2. Find your atilla directory, typically it goes. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Attila". If you have changed it you will know where it is.
    3. Enter the folder inside this location called data.
    4. Unpack the .Rar into the data folder (If you get just a pack file, you can simply drop it in.)
    5. Boot up the Attila launcher, and click into the Mod Manager.
    6. Check the box "Enable obsolete mods."
    7. This should enable you to check the box on Tuskmod (Current version: 1.3)
    8. Once Tuskmod is enabled with a green box checked, you should be good to go. You will be able to toggle it on or off at any time.
    9. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; May 17, 2015 at 09:09 PM.

Default Re: Tuskmod

first ! damn cool !

wow.. this sound promising .. great

If any of you was to add another naval unit to the Danish Land roster, what would it be?

hey man just wondering if you would ever consider implementing a 1 hp system? ive seen it be pretty sucessful in some other battles mods

Returning to the days of Shogun 2? It is a system I might include a submod for once the mod starts getting advanced.

emulating the shogun 2 mechanics would make me damp on my dong

PS. hi from reddit, parthian shot ranter here! =P

@Khroney Ah. Parthian shot is something I have been toying with recently. The focus as of late has been making units that don't have it worthwhile in spite of this, but I may shift around parthian shot as a whole now.

@Everyone, I missed a few boxes in 1.1, so 1.1.1 should fix the few things I missed. If you liked 1.1's changes, 1.1.1 is simply making sure there isn't any gaps.

I've loaded this up into an existing campaign, so treat it as such, I hired some exploratores from a vassal and in battle they showed up entirely invisible apart from the yellow arrows, not to mention having an incorrect unit card. the enemies exploratores showed the unit models correctly but their unit cards were wrong. I think the unit card was cohors? but it changed in the loading screen to take on other units randomly (i was confused to be shown 2 identical generals in the loading screen preview when I only deployed with 1)

I haven't changed exploratores's visual themes, however, this is a bug a friend of mine has confirmed to be in the vanilla game: Roman units past the basic spear lines use ONLY the cultural specific themes files, this causes them to look different when recruited by WRE, ERE, and the Ostrogoths.

Of course, this is a SERIOUS problem when Cohors, Legio, Exploratores, Scout Equities, or any of the other roman units which are used by all of the roman factions are levied by non Ostrogothic factions.

Why this is a problem now is that this mod makes it easier to discover this bug, due to Exploratores becoming easier to recruit.

Themes editing isn't my specialty, however, I will look into this.

So while I play with this mod, what should I look out for specifically so I can catch it easier?

Edit - Did you change pikes? They seem...a lot better. Missiles (Archers) seem stronger. When I say pikes seem better, they seem to put a lot more pressure on the enemy and cause them to route faster...pretty sure this isn't my imagination because prior to using this mod, gothic pikemen were useless and a waste of income. I think Archers may even be overpowered.
    Last edited by Korvyr; March 22, 2015 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walrusjones View Post
    I haven't changed exploratores's visual themes, however, this is a bug a friend of mine has confirmed to be in the vanilla game: Roman units past the basic spear lines use ONLY the cultural specific themes files, this causes them to look different when recruited by WRE, ERE, and the Ostrogoths.

Of course, this is a SERIOUS problem when Cohors, Legio, Exploratores, Scout Equities, or any of the other roman units which are used by all of the roman factions are levied by non Ostrogothic factions.

Why this is a problem now is that this mod makes it easier to discover this bug, due to Exploratores becoming easier to recruit.

Nice - I don't think I could have stumbled upon a more perfect situation of buggedness - playing as not one of those factions, vassalising a roman state, then hiring a unit because I thought the guerilla ability sounded cool =P

Semi-glad to hear its not a problem caused by the mod then. I think the solution would just be to assign one of the roman themes as the default, given that the only situation it would occur would be hiring them as vassal levies from roman states
    Last edited by Khorney; March 22, 2015 at 09:53 AM.

Most non-roman factions would best be using the Ostrogothic theme for the roman units: Lots of barbarians being levied alongside the roman recruits, levied from a (Most likely) barbarian subjugated roman state.

Hopefully, I can figure out how to get the Exploratores fix early on in the development of the first Tin Islands update.

Quote Originally Posted by Korvyr View Post
    So while I play with this mod, what should I look out for specifically so I can catch it easier?

Edit - Did you change pikes? They seem...a lot better. Missiles (Archers) seem stronger. When I say pikes seem better, they seem to put a lot more pressure on the enemy and cause them to route faster...pretty sure this isn't my imagination because prior to using this mod, gothic pikemen were useless and a waste of income. I think Archers may even be overpowered.
    If you used heavy shot, you will find that the archers are actually just using ammo similar to what the Tin Island Mercinaries update will do for all archers.

The OP lists a very large large number of changes: Archers have more diverse attributes then before, if you are playing the Sassanids, you have unusually good archers, if you are playing a germanic faction, your archers are probably more accurate, and lower damage then before.

All archers get significantly less accurate when they grow fatigued, and the rate at which they rest when firing has been massively reduced.

As for other archers, trust me when I say I studied their ammo expenditures in conjunction with the new abilities, there really isn't an archer unit which can sustain continuous fire.

If you have Skirmishers, expect them to have a little more ammo, and are actually reasonably good as defensive infantry in hand to hand combat, due to them now often having a formation they can use.

Pikes are more Agressive, they are tough to kill units for driving enemy units off, Filling a grey area between offensive and defensive.

I made it so one handed axe units no longer have attribute stagnation past the germanic warband.

Maces should be worthwhile.

As for most units, most of the changes are visibly represented in their statblock.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; March 22, 2015 at 10:38 AM.

Hey man, I'm trying to download your mods but the mega links aren't working. Might just be megaulpload temporarily but either way, it's not cooperating right now.

I just got the link to boot properly for Tuskmod 1.1.1, but it is duly noted that we need mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Walrusjones View Post

Do you know what those files are called? I think this might be why some of my own experiments have resulted in invisible Cohors.

That are otherwise just fine. They kill, throw javelins, and push just fine.

They're just invisible. The model isnt there.

I re-found the table, Unit Variants. You can see the Unit variants for the common-line roman units are all faction specific, preventing any unit themes from being assigned to unit variants when levied from puppet states.

The Effected units by this:
    Cohors.
    Legio Comitatenses.
    Legio.
    Exploratores.
    Comes.
    Palatina.
    Scout Equites.
    Protectores Domesdici.
    Scholarae Palatinae.
    Praventores.
    And the roman marine units.

Technically, the generals also apply, however, Roman Generals are something non-roman factions shouldn't be able to levy.

This is obviously something I will be fixing in V1.1.2 (Already getting it done now,) by setting the Ostrogothic themes as the ones that all factions that do not have faction specific themes use as a default. (Hopefully, this won't break the normal roman themes.)
    Last edited by Walrusjones; March 24, 2015 at 12:05 AM.

Wintercross's Avatar Libertus

I second the idea of a 1hp system, it is much better.

I would call it a set of mechanics which focuses entirely on what is relevant and visible.

Also any chance you could make a version with a slower battle speed? It seems to be quite similar to vanilla, which i find to be unrealistically fast.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast