Thread: can you make generals live forever?

Default can you make generals live forever?

Playing as egypt and my greatest general was born with good traits command plus dread , i said thanks to the parents of my badass general, so i trained the best troops i had and wanted to invade europe. Sadly good general's can't live forever and after them i get sh!tty generals with empty traits. i heard you can make them immortal by unpacking the game via the unpacker and going to a .txt file that got something about family tree thing maybe max_age_before_death = 70. are there any tutorials out there on how to change the generals max age before to death to like 9999?

thanks

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: can you make generals live forever?

You're correct that there is a file with that variable in it (can't remember the name of it offhand), but no file will change data for previously saved games. Any changes you make to the game code will take effect in new games only.
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by King William the Conqueror View Post
    You're correct that there is a file with that variable in it (can't remember the name of it offhand), but no file will change data for previously saved games. Any changes you make to the game code will take effect in new games only.
    The file is descr_campaign_db.xml and you're not correct, adding stuff or changing values in files in /data folder are savegame compatible in almost all cases. It depends on what exactly you want to do. The only files that always require a new campaign are most of the map files and the text files in /world/maps/base and /world/maps/imperial_campaign .

These are some values from this file from retrofit mod, which should be almost identical to the vanilla
    Code:
    <family_tree>
          <max_age uint="90"/>
          <max_age_for_marriage_for_male uint="75"/>
          <max_age_for_marriage_for_female uint="40"/>
          <max_age_before_death uint="105"/>
          <max_age_of_child uint="10"/>
          <old_age uint="60"/>
    I think that last one is the main culprit since almost everyone dies until 65, so increase that one
    Last edited by Vipman; March 14, 2015 at 03:27 AM.

You sir, deverse a gold medal, now my general is immortal

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

There may be a limit to the max age, it's possible to give crashes. And I don't know for sure since I didn't test it but as far as I know changes to this file are save compatible.

Do one change at a time, first the max_age from 90 to 120, or 150, and see if the game loads fine. Then the max_age_before_death and then the old_age

And better keep as backup some saves of your current campaign. And original campaign_db.
    Last edited by Vipman; March 14, 2015 at 08:02 AM.

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Vipman View Post
    The file is descr_campaign_db.xml and you're not correct, adding stuff or changing values in files in /data folder are savegame compatible in almost all cases. It depends on what exactly you want to do. The only files that always require a new campaign are most of the map files and the text files in /world/maps/base and /world/maps/imperial_campaign .

I think that last one is the main culprit since almost everyone dies until 65, so increase that one
    Now that I think of it you are correct. The "world" folder is the only one not save game compatible.
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Or, you could simply not end your turn. Your generals won't age a day!
    The doctor will siege you now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Conquest View Post
    Or, you could simply not end your turn. Your generals won't age a day!
    Oh wow it's like stopping time completely! Genius! As an added bonus, your generals can't get negative traits, your armies can't lose troops and it's impossible to lose the game! Wow! Wow! Amazing!

Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!