Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Supremacy Total War (Alternate History/Fantasy Mod)

TomatoesYay's Avatar Libertus

Default [WIP] Supremacy Total War (Alternate History/Fantasy Mod)

The Supremacy Mod! The above is also a banner if you wanna use it.

Quick description of what the heck this is:
    The Supremacy Mod is a fantasy mod, with factions mirroring real-world cultures. All units, buildings, models, etc. will be smooshed together into a single faction the way I see fit, of course in a none-offensive and creative way!
    In depth description of the mod:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Originally I wanted to create a global mod, situated somewhere around the 1200's AD which would stretch from the Americas to East Asia. However, that was quickly shot down after a few factors. The first being the hardcoded limits that haven't been lifted yet (shout out to the memory editors out there that are working on getting rid of it), so I could only have 7 cultures, which is definitely not enough to represent the whole world. The second factor is that a lot of other mods have already done this. Then I decided to do a mod on the Imjin Wars, or something on East Asia. Then I found out a lot of Chinese people have already done those mod in a much better way than I ever could. I also remembered how I performed an epic-fail on my first attempts on modding the game a few years ago, not even passing through the thresholds of modding the world. So I got quite bummed out and played some Westeros Total War, which somehow magically inspired me to just ditch my historical restrictions and create a fantasy mod instead! Then I had another dilemma. How should I make this fun? I know that the point of Total War is obviously war, but I have always been that guy that never really finished the campaign. I've always had shorter goals like united an island and then just standing there with nothing to do because I was already strong enough. Then I've decided that I should create 7 different victory conditions that suit the cultures of the factions! And the "short" and "long" victory conditions would be that one will be a special victory condition, while the other will be a classical M2TW victory condition. That should satisfy all audiences, right?
    Lastly, I also know how offensive this may be to some people, grouping their cultures with others that some might not like. That's why I created a thread asking for opinions and I've received 100% positive opinions (sorry lizards) on this thread here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?683863-Would-this-be-offensive&p=14414566#post14414566! So I vow to keep this as creative and non offensive and as fun as possible!

Quick Warning: I will also be using some terminology that do not necessarily mean what they are in their real world counterparts. For example, I am going to use the word "Shogun" instead of the proper "Emperor" as the leader of the East Asian faction, only because of one reason: it sounds awesome and more unique than a generic "Emperor". I really hope this is OK with everyone. I have done similar things with words like Tlatoani and Shah and Sultan. So please keep this in mind!

The Factions:

I'm working on these faction profiles so stay tuned!

The Map:

Also: Slight background info on the map. The battle for supremacy is after the collapse of the First Atlantean Empire, in which they conquered almost all of the known world, before their famous Hero King died of unknown cause. Afterwards, generals and family members fought over for different territories and former foes fight back, causing the empire to fragment and pushing the Atlantean Empire to become a republic once more.
    Furthest extent of the Atlantean Empire under the Hero-King:

Credits:

Individual Resource Credits:
    Gigantus - Bare Geomod Kingdoms, Shogun map pack, RoTK models, help with scripts, models, etc. basically my whole existance
    Agart - New Cities and Strat Models, v 1.0
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition artwork
    Age of Empires 3's Artwork
    =NF= Vasileios_the2nd - European Strat Models
    Aura - AMAZING city models for the Byzantines!
    Melooo182 - Muslim Assassin Fix
    Hindu Models - AlphaDelta and Strelac, permission granted by Wudang_Clown
    Launcher - Guan Ziyang
    M2TW Chariot - Bwian
    Oppida Mod - Alpaca
    Medieval Unit Models and faces - GeMiNi][SaNDy

Forum Credits:
    Thanks so much everyone for the support! Especially Roman Heritage and Cavalrycmdr!

Programs (do I have to list these? idk I'll do them anyway):

3DS Max
    Photoshop
    Sony Vegas
    Paint
    Facegen
    Audacity
    Milkshape
    Blender

Music:

Individuals:
    Vesuvius - Frank Tichelli
    Dies Irae - Verdi
    Dies Irae - Mozart
    Forgotten Love - Klubz Productions, check out the channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2e...HbjdkPdtn8THYg
    Black Vortex - Kevin MacLeod
    14 Blades - Henry Lai
    Balance - Jeremy Zuckerman
    Silent Moon - Jia Peng Fang
    Experienced Many Battles - Yasuharu Takanashi
    Heart of Africa - Derek & Brandon Fiechter
    African Skies - Derek Fiechter
    Drums of War - Matnik
    Battle March of the Brave Soldiers - Unknown
    Dance Of The Soul - James Asher
    African Drums - Chiyo Ishido
    Tribal War - Hannes Johansson
    war Drums - Dreammaker
    The Voyage - Andreas Waldetoft

Christopher Tin:
    Baba Yetu
    Mali
    Ethiopia

Kevin McMullan and Stephen Rippy:
    The Cat Named Mittens (These guys have the weirdest but best titles for their epic OSTs)
    Flavor Cats
    Trailer Music
    Greek to Me
    Have You Met Her Thunder

Tan Dun:
    Warriors
    At The Emperor's Palace
    For The World
    In The Chess Court

Taro Iwashiro:
    Red Cliff
    Shoot
    Secret Strategem
    Closing In On The Enemy

Antti Martikainen:
    Xian
    The Forbidden City

Jeff Van Dyck:
    War of the Elephants
    Battle of Shinobue
    Ona Hei
    Oyoiyoi
    For The Daimyo!
    Taiko Shuffle
    Dance of the Great Wall
    Warrior March
    Soldiers Chant
    RTW Theme
    Sakura
    Spring Song
    Daimyo's Victory Song
    Army of Drums
    Shogun 2 Total War Theme

Geoff Knorr:
    Rokudan no Shirabe
    Urtiin Duu
    Gao Shan Liu Shui
    Arirang
    Li Ling Si Han
    Ramkhamhaeng
    Hymn To Nikkal
    Phos Hilaron
    Roman Fragmented Melodies
    Epitaph to Seikilos
    Gambia Folk Song
    Haile Selassie's National Anthem
    Duo Juluka: Inhliziyo Yami
    Sun Dance
    Cora Mitote
    Inca Melody Fragments
    Maya Melody Fragments
    Ho Ho Watanay
    Hole Waimea
    Chega de Saudade

Richard Beddow:
    Legions of Rome
    By Land and by sea
    Ramming Speed
    Chariot Storm
    Ba'al Hamon's Wrath
    R2TW Theme
    Roma Invicta
    Elysium Fields

Indian Artwork:

Funzug.com
    thewowimages.com
    all-about-india.com
    exoticindiaart.com
    pinterest.com
    webneel.com
    divyavithika.com
    defenceforumindia.com
    gslis.simmons.edu
    www.artnindia.com
    commons.wikimedia.org
    www.sanatansociety.com
    www.dollsofindia.com
    www.himalayanacademy.com
    fineartamerica.com
    driverlayer.com
    pixgood.com
    topyaps.com
    www.indiatvnews.com
    aidanmoher.com
    www.boldsky.com
    shankhnaad.net
    commons.wikimedia.org
    www.mensxp.com
    blogs.lt.vt.edu
    ramanan50.wordpress.com
    www.getting-positive-karma-now.com
    en.wikipedia.org
    triangulations.wordpress.com
    hari-kirtana.com
    fineartblogger.com
    mmw-blog.blogspot.com
    http://know.burrp.com
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com

Final Notes:

Despite being such an alternative history/fantasy mod, I am actually going to have to do a ton of research to incorporate as many cultural awesomeness as I can into each faction! And also I'm trying to make things as unique as possible, such as having different types of navy ships and unique units (except for some generic peasant units lol). For example, ships for the Moku Empire won't have any frigates or triremes, but turtle ships and junk ships and bunes! I've said this on my previous thread before: "Because I'm East Asian, and I've studied a lot of East Asian stuff, I know how to make it so that a faction based off of East Asia would be non-offensive and unique. But I'm definitely not a genius, and I don't know too much about other cultures other than European, East Asian, and some Indian." I need help from other people of different backgrounds. Like languages, your second language will never be as good as your native language, and same here with knowledge. I can find the littlest details of East Asian cultures to make it cool, but I probably won't be able to find even a ship from Africa. That's why if you guys have any suggestions, even if your native culture is the same as mine, I am open to everything. Please do help! ^_^
    Last edited by TomatoesYay; March 31, 2015 at 05:42 PM.

Default Re: [WIP] Supremacy Total War

Screenshots:

Last edited by TomatoesYay; March 31, 2015 at 10:50 PM.

Woha good job so far, Reminds me a bit on the Thera mod.
    When did you beginn building the Mod?

Decanus

Ok, here you've got your Atlantean councillor!

Anyway, I like the map. Looks like a map I made of old for a roleplay game with my friends. Are you planning on going for the 199 settlements? That's perhaps where you'd need most help. 199 names are quite hard to invent from scratch :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gebilde View Post
    Woha good job so far, Reminds me a bit on the Thera mod.
    When did you beginn building the Mod?
    Hiya! Thanks for the praise! I started modding a few days ago. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Heritage View Post
    Ok, here you've got your Atlantean councillor!

Anyway, I like the map. Looks like a map I made of old for a roleplay game with my friends. Are you planning on going for the 199 settlements? That's perhaps where you'd need most help. 199 names are quite hard to invent from scratch :/
    Ah yes I will be trying to add as many settlements as possible! And yes I definitely need help haha, so far I've only taken names that are either mythological or very old city names that no longer exist or are not fresh in our minds. )

Update: I also reached out to a few mod creators requesting permission to use their models. If they agree then this mod will be on fai-yaaah!!! (Fire)

I also just bought Rome Total War so I'll be working on importing those units soon!

Lastly I also did some research on african maritime history and dang this is so hard to do lol, also I downloaded a whole bunch of Indian paintings, and thanks to my hindu mythology class, those of you that know about the ramayana and the Mahabharata might get a good laugh from the art choices :3

Update 2: New screenshot! I downloaded Aura's Byzantium City Strat Models and they're AMAZING!
    Last edited by TomatoesYay; March 16, 2015 at 05:30 PM.

Sometimes I just can't find the right art on Google for some of the event pictures, so I have to make my own. This is my very first one I made for the Deva Empire faction! This is the picture that's going to show up when The Devas learn of a faction that has been destroyed:

Default Re: [WIP] Supremacy Total War (Alternate History/Fantasy Mod)

New Screenshots! I spent all day today creating new event pics (the pictures that show up when you get a mission, kill a general, etc.) for each culture, and so far I've finished 98% on the MOku and Atlanteans, 100 % on the desert and alfheim (because they're already done by the game, I might tweak a bit of stuff here and there though), and 30% on the deva, and 0% on the rest.

I'm also going to be using different portraits for all cultures. One pet peeve of mine with other mods is that they didn't have any models for other cultures, so this is the first thing I did haha. Also they'll have different strat map models. I've recently imported lots of Rome Total War stuff into the Atlantean Republic. I'm also using Rome 2 Total War concept art (even though the game is crappy the artwork is amazing)

Cool art work, I like the "painting effect" on them, you should look for some decent tapestry pics for the northern European factions.

Decanus

That "Nymeria" is so much "ASongofIceandFire"ish xD I agree with Cmdr, for the Kingdom of Alfheim tapestries could be a good artwork choice.

May I suggest some "Atlantean" names?

- Atlantea (pretty obvious, yeah)

- Basileia

- Caesarea

- Chrysopolis (meaning "City of Gold", that's a name worthy of a capital, in my opinion haha )

- Postumia

- Agrestos (it sounds Greek, doesn't it?)

- Lochrys

- Pilos

- Aegea (like the Aegean Sea, I'd call this way one of those isle settlements)

- Colonia Ultima ("last colony", perhaps one of the northernmost, or southernmost, military settlements?)

Also, some names may derive from important historical characters, or gods. Lots of city names in the Mediterranean area are derived from people, events, gods or goddesses, or characteristics of the place itself. For the latter, you might mix Latin and Greek to form composite names (e.g. "Bloody river", Aimafluvia). Its really up to you, how you'd like to characterize and structure such places.

Quote Originally Posted by CavalryCmdr View Post
    Cool art work, I like the "painting effect" on them, you should look for some decent tapestry pics for the northern European factions.
    Thank you very much!! I'll look into the tapestry pictures!! At first I was going to leave them as the vanilla M2TW was but then decided against it. However I might do North Europe and the Desert Region people's eventpics last mostly because they already have a complete set, that way I can churn out the alpha version of this mod much quicker ))) oh! and if you ever have any tapestry recommendations I'm all ears!

That "Nymeria" is so much "ASongofIceandFire"ish xD I agree with Cmdr, for the Kingdom of Alfheim tapestries could be a good artwork choice.

May I suggest some "Atlantean" names?

- Atlantea (pretty obvious, yeah)

- Basileia

- Caesarea

- Chrysopolis (meaning "City of Gold", that's a name worthy of a capital, in my opinion haha )

- Postumia

- Agrestos (it sounds Greek, doesn't it?)

- Lochrys

- Pilos

- Aegea (like the Aegean Sea, I'd call this way one of those isle settlements)

- Colonia Ultima ("last colony", perhaps one of the northernmost, or southernmost, military settlements?)

Also, some names may derive from important historical characters, or gods. Lots of city names in the Mediterranean area are derived from people, events, gods or goddesses, or characteristics of the place itself. For the latter, you might mix Latin and Greek to form composite names (e.g. "Bloody river", Aimafluvia). Its really up to you, how you'd like to characterize and structure such places.
    Yay!! Thanks so much for the names! And Nymeria came up to my mind as soon as I was about to type in a name, and then I was like "wait is this from Asongoficeandfire? And then I tried to find out if Nymeria were an actual name and turns out GRR Martin made it up but it was too cool to pass off so I kept Nymeria hahaha grr martin dont sue me pls

I like all of the names you put up! I'll be working on it today to get it all in. I'll also update the thread today with background stories of each faction and also a larger world map of the provinces!! I'm gonna work overtime today on this. Thank God for spring break lol

Made an icon to go with it! x3

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Good for you. I look forward for this

Thanks UndrState! I'll try my best to make it enjoyable xD I'm probably gonna release Alpha very quickly so that I know what to actually work on in terms of gameplay, as of now I'm just getting everything to be "unique" from each other so that no single culture are the same

Centenarius

Nice idea! good luck with your project What about religions?.
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Nice idea! good luck with your project What about religions?.
    Thank you very much!! ^o^ I tried to make up religion names but failed to do so, and I am aiming for fictional religions. So far the only "fictional" ones I came up with is Teotl and Hellenism, and that's only because those religions did not have a name to start out with haha. The rest is just Christianity, Islam, Daoism, Voodoo, and Hinduism for now, just as a placeholder. If anyone has suggestions for fictional religious names, I'm all ears!

Or if you think that I should stick with real religious names, that's fine too!

UPDATE: I'm really stuck on what I should use for the Kingdom of Simba portraits D: Using too realistic pictures would probably not fit but at the same time using very African painting-styled portraits might not fit either... And the link for someone's resource of African portraits are down too Q_Q

UPDATE 2: Not much done today mostly cause I spent the whole time trying to unpack the Teutonic and Britannia DLCs, I finally figured it out but it took forever :/ Hopefully I'll do more tomorrow after class!
    Last edited by TomatoesYay; March 20, 2015 at 01:34 AM.

Decanus

Perhaps, for the Simba Kingdom's military scrolls, you might search for depictions of zulu warriors and stuff. They're pretty often depicted in a "triumph dancing" pose and with their traditional weapons, perhaps it could serve fine the purpose?

The above, however, might be copyrighted, so I don't know if you can use it xD just to show what I meant.

Anyway, I hope you'll be using a variation of the Teutonic Knights' awesome winged helmets for Alfheim's elites, perhaps with Novgorod's scale armour These would be awesome together, I'd guess.

Glad to know I might be of some help If you need any help, expecially on the Atlanteans' culture and history, let me know

Perhaps, for the Simba Kingdom's military scrolls, you might search for depictions of zulu warriors and stuff. They're pretty often depicted in a "triumph dancing" pose and with their traditional weapons, perhaps it could serve fine the purpose?

The above, however, might be copyrighted, so I don't know if you can use it xD just to show what I meant.

Anyway, I hope you'll be using a variation of the Teutonic Knights' awesome winged helmets for Alfheim's elites, perhaps with Novgorod's scale armour These would be awesome together, I'd guess.

Glad to know I might be of some help If you need any help, expecially on the Atlanteans' culture and history, let me know
    Thank you very much! And yeah I'm definitely going to use the Teutonic Knights! The only reason I spent a whole day on unpacking the teutonic pack is because those knights would be the maker or the breaker of the alfheim kingdom hahaha

Also I think I'm going to go with a somewhat different approach to Alfheim than I originally intended to... We'll see how it goes after I'm done the Atlantean faction
    Oh and thanks for the Zulu suggestion!! I'll just have to go through a whole buncha paintings haha but no biggie it'll be fun for me

Oh and... HELL YEAH I finally got the cape & helmet thing transferred over!! I'm so happy I could kiss an elephant right now

Last edited by TomatoesYay; March 20, 2015 at 03:22 PM.

Now I have another problem... I'm not sure whether or not I should use the red forts from the Teutons for the Alfheim or keep using the regular castles.. because both of them look awesome. I'm trying to research if what the "faction_variant" folder means, and if it means another faction with the same culture can have another variance of buildings, then the kingdom of Alfheim will be split into 2 factions!

But at the moment, I'm still thinking of keeping the faction as 1 faction, but you would be able to get to choose who becomes the heir for the Alfheim kingdom, and the Alfheim family tree will consists of heirs from each houses, representing a different culture of Europe. And then you can just basically change the whole capital and the heir so that can kinda be the "high king" selection thingy.

UPDATE: Ugh these stupid .cas files are the worse thing to ever exist.. next to the stupid granny models that Age of Empires used... > There are like absolutely nothing I can do to open, view, import, nor export anything even remotely related to these files. All the things KnightErrant made would not work for me, and no matter how many google searches I do none of their solutions work for me either. I really would like to just work on this mod without these stupid problems taking up the whole day aarggghh /rant

But seriously though I'm severely limited if I can't get these stupid .cas files to open raawwwwrrrrr
    Last edited by TomatoesYay; March 20, 2015 at 04:49 PM.

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoesYay View Post
    Now I have another problem... I'm not sure whether or not I should use the red forts from the Teutons for the Alfheim or keep using the regular castles.. because both of them look awesome. I'm trying to research if what the "faction_variant" folder means, and if it means another faction with the same culture can have another variance of buildings, then the kingdom of Alfheim will be split into 2 factions!

But at the moment, I'm still thinking of keeping the faction as 1 faction, but you would be able to get to choose who becomes the heir for the Alfheim kingdom, and the Alfheim family tree will consists of heirs from each houses, representing a different culture of Europe. And then you can just basically change the whole capital and the heir so that can kinda be the "high king" selection thingy.
    Wait, I'm pretty much sure that if you use Vanilla Med II "North-European" castles, you should be able to use Teutonic red castles too, since the cultural ownership should be the same (Teutons are classed as North-European in their campaign, too, so...). I think there should be a chance of having both of them as possibilities on map. Anyway, If it wasn't possible, I'd use the Red ones, they're cool, unique and they should fit the faction

As for the Alfheim Kingdom, I like your idea. Are you going to implement such a feature in a similar way to "Next Heir Ancillary" submod in SS?
    Anyway, this setup could also give the faction a certain unique flavour, and historical background. Let's say, "The Alfheim Kingdom was forged after centuries of conflicts between the sovereign dinasties of ........, ........ and ......, when, in the year ........, nearby the city of ......., the dinasties of ........ and ....... accepted, in a certain measure, the sovereign of the House of ....... Since then, Alfheim has been an independent, fierce and multiform State, in which powers are shared and held by the three houses, which have retained their original Kingship titles, with the House of ........ being the most prominent, as House of the High King. Since then, the rulers of House ...... have led Alfheim to great successes over their neighbours, defeating and incorporating the nearby kingdom of ......., launching attempts of colonization the shores of ......., and often warrying against their powerful souther/nouthern/western/eastern neighbour, the .............
    Yet, despite House ..........'s successes, the other Houses secretly still remember the times when they were independent, and perhaps only wait for an occasion to strike, an occasion which could soon incur. Current ruler, High King .......... ...., has in fact proved in his youth to be a skilled warrior, a capable ruler and a wise diplomat, yet he is now approaching the winter of his life, with no direct heir but, after the death of his firstborn son, of his nephews. Whether the other Houses will retain their alledgiance to the Throne, fight for gaining control of it, or try to free themselves of the yoke of House ......., it is far to be a certain thing..."

Following this line, however, you could also split it in three factions, perhaps under control of the High House, represented as a one-city power, in a similar way to the Romans and Senate in Rome Total War. Being you the modder, you could decide which ones are the necessary conditions for the "coup d'etat", and decide whether it would happen sooner, or later, perhaps with a scripted event.

Hope it helps, it has been interesting writing it down Also, will you use the original Byzantine name pool for the Atlanteans?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast