Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does CAI have a military objective?

Kambe's Avatar Biarchus

Icon5 Does CAI have a military objective?

How often do AI factions follow their military objective if AI even has those? How often do you see AI get to imitate history and achieve such results? For example Vandals in Spain/Northern Africa? Franks actually doing anything useful? Burgundians and Langobards settling south? Visigoths in Spain, Ostrogoths in Italy etc?

Or is CAI only task to gang up on player?

Don't preorder games!

Default Re: Does CAI have a military objective?

They don't have an objective besides sandbox mode/ target human player. The AI lacks a LOT of the features human players have. For example they won't get civil wars because they don't have intra-faction politics at work or imperium issues at play.

I have noticed that certain factions seem to behave in certain ways pretty consistently. The Jutes always seem to expand west into Britannia, for example, while the Ebdani always expand east into Britannia. Granted, that may be because there isn't much room for them to do anything else. Well, the Jutes could do other things, but they usually don't. The Angles also always seem to expand eastward into Gothiscandza, either conquering it until they hit the Rugians, or getting swamped and dying. The Saxons and Angles, if they lost their last settlement and so become a horde, always seem to then migrate west and cross the sea to Britannia, where they usually take over a settlement or two and then start to repopulate. Played a few campaigns (is there a term for someone who starts new campaigns compulsively? Like alts in an MMO, but for TW games?) so far where that's happened, and thought it was pretty cool. Even saw one where the Ebdani and Franks basically burned all of Britannia south of Hadrian's Wall, and the Saxons and Jutes sailed over as hordes and repopulated the razed settlements. Thought that was pretty cool, and made me feel better about the razing mechanic. About as close an approximation to actual history as a TW game will get.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    They don't have an objective besides sandbox mode/ target human player. The AI lacks a LOT of the features human players have. For example they won't get civil wars because they don't have intra-faction politics at work or imperium issues at play.
    Which is a very strange approach for a so called strategy game, everything that affects the player and is part of the players considerations for game play is outside the perimeters or irrelevant for AI behaviour which in effect means the AI is playing a completely different game a cardinal sin for any real strategy game.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus View Post
    Which is a very strange approach for a so called strategy game, everything that affects the player and is part of the players considerations for game play is outside the perimeters or irrelevant for AI behaviour which in effect means the AI is playing a completely different game a cardinal sin for any real strategy game.
    Indeed it is. And again something you don`t find out until a while later. I thought as natural that the AI would have similar goals to the Player. I really do not like an AI that`s just designed to attack the Player and that`s it. I know the game is really about the Player, but the AI should have its own goals and play to them. the Player should not see he`s the only target in the world. What CA has done is lazy short term bs.

I can only hope this will be patched so the AI actually plays its own game to win.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

At the very least you would think the major factions win Attila would try to build up an empire or large kingdom similar to what the player is trying to achieve. I haven't seen that, which is a HUGE deal, imo. It means that the entire aim of the CAI is to shape the experience of player. And playing the game feels that way, thus killing immersion. TWA needs an overhaul CAI patch, asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    At the very least you would think the major factions win Attila would try to build up an empire or large kingdom similar to what the player is trying to achieve. I haven't seen that, which is a HUGE deal, imo. It means that the entire aim of the CAI is to shape the experience of player. And playing the game feels that way, thus killing immersion. TWA needs an overhaul CAI patch, asap.
    Agreed, right now i mostly see mad dogs around my little safe zone in spain, trying to kill each other... .

The defensive offensive just doesn't seem to play a role...it's an over-aggressive and headless approach. On first glance i was impressed by all the movement and offensive actions that took place, but i guess some routines are still missing. It's still a raw diamond, the gloomy shine is there...let's see what CA can make out of it.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free..." Goethe

"Share my woman, share my wine, share my soul, burn the sun...this is all just for Rome" Triarii

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    They do get civil wars...

I've seen the separatist factions appearing for the huns, the ostrogoths, the franks, the danes, the jutes and obviously the western roman empire, the WRE always get the separatists...

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Here is a small mod that focuses on all factions to defend what they have gained, take back what they lost, and move toward their victory conditions.
    Place in your Attila data folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files

oh well, turn 50 in my sassanid campaign and visigoths are raiding assyria... so yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    Here is a small mod that focuses on all factions to defend what they have gained, take back what they lost, and move toward their victory conditions.
    I`ll be trying this. How is it that CA can`t do this?

I would hope the AI has objectives other than destroy player. They should try to complete the Chapter Objectives and Victory Objectives.

I had a few factions who succesfully build empires. In my game, the Marcomanni already have 12 regions in 405 or so. Gallia has recolonized most of Gaul, but the Huns are razing them again. It seems to completely depend upon the leader personality trait. I don't think the AI should be focussed on victory conditions and historic expansion too much.

I agree though, Attila badly needs CAI fixes.

from what you guys are saying I think the issue in Attila and to an extent has been in previous games is that the AI does not think like a person. It seems like it has a goal which is to destroy the player. IMO the AI should behave more like real people did. It should not focus on winning always but as a horde it should look to settle in a safe location. The ERE and WRE should focus upon holding together the empire conceding land if they need to, only going on an offensive if it is completely secure.

A solution to the problem is to reduce the number of stacks an AI can easily train. If half their army is wiped out in a great battle then the AI should sue for peace. Hordes should only be able to raise a stack and losing it should be costly. Settlements that are poorly developed should have smaller garrisons as a compromise. This would improve gameplay because then the AI will not be able to commit piece by piece instead it will only have to fight one battle and not tonnes of battles. The player's challenge will come as a tribe from not losing that army and as a large nation from not losing too heavily in many areas and getting swamped. Indeed a population system could be used so that long wars drain a nation of men.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander of Scotland View Post
    from what you guys are saying I think the issue in Attila and to an extent has been in previous games is that the AI does not think like a person. It seems like it has a goal which is to destroy the player. IMO the AI should behave more like real people did. It should not focus on winning always but as a horde it should look to settle in a safe location. The ERE and WRE should focus upon holding together the empire conceding land if they need to, only going on an offensive if it is completely secure.

A solution to the problem is to reduce the number of stacks an AI can easily train. If half their army is wiped out in a great battle then the AI should sue for peace. Hordes should only be able to raise a stack and losing it should be costly. Settlements that are poorly developed should have smaller garrisons as a compromise. This would improve gameplay because then the AI will not be able to commit piece by piece instead it will only have to fight one battle and not tonnes of battles. The player's challenge will come as a tribe from not losing that army and as a large nation from not losing too heavily in many areas and getting swamped. Indeed a population system could be used so that long wars drain a nation of men.
    Yeah that would've been needed. The Langobards hate me and have nothing better to do than send a fullstack every 3 or 4 turns to Britain. If I annihilate their stack, they don't have to make peace, since they can train another complete army in no time.

It's also that the CAI never destroys other nations. I bribed 3 or 4 factions to finish of Saxon speratists in my homeland, but after like 4 years of siege, they just sacked the settlement, and now nobody bothers to attack them any more. Same against me: since all AI factions pile up against me, they could've easily destroyed me by capturing/ destroying settlments I can't defend. Yet they only sack them until I can rally my forces to beat them.

The instability/ repair costs will still ruin me but the Ai's lack of ambition baffles me.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; March 15, 2015 at 05:37 AM.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Indeed it is. And again something you don`t find out until a while later. I thought as natural that the AI would have similar goals to the Player. I really do not like an AI that`s just designed to attack the Player and that`s it. I know the game is really about the Player, but the AI should have its own goals and play to them. the Player should not see he`s the only target in the world. What CA has done is lazy short term bs.

I can only hope this will be patched so the AI actually plays its own game to win.
    I totally agree with you. This morning my friend asked if I wanted to play Attila with him in a MP campaign and I told him that I have no desire to deal with that ridiculous AI and suggested that we continue one of our old Rome 2 MP campaigns instead. After the past 2-3 weeks of dealing with Attila, opening up Rome 2 again felt like a breath of fresh air. AI factions formed empires, minor factions like Rodos and Knossos stayed on their islands and didn't bother a soul (the only had a single stack!), and the enemy factions did not attack me for no apparent reason.

This is sad for me to say because I love the Late Empire/Dark Ages period way more than Rome 2's timeframe but right now Attila is completely unplayable for me. I'm eagerly awaiting a patch that fixes its AI issues.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    After the past 2-3 weeks of dealing with Attila, opening up Rome 2 again felt like a breath of fresh air. AI factions formed empires, minor factions like Rodos and Knossos stayed on their islands and didn't bother a soul (the only had a single stack!), and the enemy factions did not attack me for no apparent reason.

This is sad for me to say because I love the Late Empire/Dark Ages period way more than Rome 2's timeframe but right now Attila is completely unplayable for me. I'm eagerly awaiting a patch that fixes its AI issues.
    I don't know that we're going to get the kind of patch treatment that we got with TWR2. The CAI design feels very intentional to me, and Warhammer requires staff time now.

I spent about 70 hours trying to figure out how to do well at Attila, succeeded through many reloads, saw the CAI for what it is. I agree it's borderline unplayable. Going to wait several months for mods and hopefully some patches that rebalance the game.

Meantime, I'll finish my DeI TWR2 campaign. Something interesting happened there, Rome in the west and Ptolemaic dynasty in the east are two superpowers entering the mid-late game.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

I don't know that we're going to get the kind of patch treatment that we got with TWR2. The CAI design feels very intentional to me, and Warhammer requires staff time now.
    That's something that really scares me. From advertising and CA hyping up the "Legendary" start position of the WRE, they might really see the game as working as intended. I'm not too bummed out about the WRE's difficult campaign (they did after all - fall) but noticing that the AI follows you around like a homing missile and that minor factions can again (unlike in post-EE Rome 2) field multiple stacks makes the game not worth playing for me. I want to play a scenario where factions attack me either because we have historical beef with one another, I invade territory that they believe should belong to them, or if I do something to really piss them off. My friend has a Dane campaign going where he migrated to Egypt and settled there. He built a strong navy and razed all of the ERE's coastal cities in the eastern Mediterranean. Apparently, AI factions get so much free money that asymmetric warfare doesn't work on them and they soon attacked Alexandria with no fewer than 7 full stacks. The imperium and King's Purse features are broken and factions hate me simply because I am there.

I believe that CA saw Rome 2 as their flagship game and as a result gave it a year and a half of support/patches/DLC. We can probably expect far less attention for Attila. :-(
    Last edited by Darios; March 15, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Definitely my worry also. I can almost feel them just quitting here. The game is not done, yet I feel they are, save the DLCs.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    this is really, really nice, 100% going to use for my next campaign. does it also helps with the resettlement frequency?
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast