Thread: Help with public order

Default Help with public order

Slaves seem to be a big problem in this mod. Whenever I capture a settlement my slave population rises above 60 percent in capital province and above 40 elsewhere forcing me to put the sell slaves edict on each province every other turn.

As I build a fourth temple in my 3rd province as I capture a 6th province, I wonder if I need help with PO problems. I do have PO bonuses for governors, champs and generals and I have lone generals patrolling regions but there will come a point where I wont have enough characters to maintain PO. My taxes are on the lowest and have been for quite a while.

Any tips on maintaining good public order for taxes to be on medium?

Matosh's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Help with public order

When you capture the settlement by looting it you are also enslaving all of its captives.
    Last edited by Matosh; March 10, 2015 at 01:41 PM.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

U can't loot every settlement u encounter, yet Head straight for Thrace, conquer it and build a level 3+ slave town there. Add some +PO bonuses from the philosophy research tree and u should be able to loot your way to victory given moderate expansion.

If I want to add a settlement to a province I just capture it without looting or anythng else that would harm the PO or the buildings. After I capture the first settlement of a new province I do the following:
    - remove army from settlement
    - untax the province
    - move in a champion (for PO) and a dignitary (for PO and culture conversion)
    - move in other armies for patrols (for PO)

I also switch the traits according to my needs. A general about to fight gets a different trait than one who acts as governor or one who has to pacify a province. After 30 turns or so you should have a nice variety of traits to use for any situation. Make sure to train at least one dignitary for the purpose of dealing with new settlements. The skill 'Demagogue' gives culture conversion as well as PO so imho that's a must for every expansion.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Is PO really become such a big problem? Been ages since I actually played a campaign without having the need to test for something specific. But I always looted and then sacked every province and never had any serious problems with PO. Even after the initial release of 1.0

Yeah, I think in some ways PO is maybe even easier to manage in DeI than vanilla, since you have more options for doing it (sell slaves, governors, patrol region, etc).

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

PO can easily become a big problem if u ignore tax settings and start upgrading stuff to level 3-4 without a plan, combined with heavy military research and/or lack of clear provinces assigned for food, army or money production.

If u keep everything level 2 initially, add grove/farm minor and theater/delicatessen/grove in capitol it's simply impossible to have unrest from squalor.
    Capture some world wonders and add some PO from philosophy and your able to start upgrading to level 3 buildings without much thought.

OP, take a look at this awesome guide; http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Strategy-Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Matosh View Post
    When you capture the settlement by looting it you are also enslaving all of its captives.
    Ahhh ok that's the problem. You don't have much of a choice as the barbarians as raiding and looting is the way to make money. Unless you wanna turtle of course but that's not for me. I've managed to deal with it now as agents get soo overpowered on this mod PO isn't a problem mid to late game.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowsy View Post
    PO can easily become a big problem if u ignore tax settings and start upgrading stuff to level 3-4 without a plan, combined with heavy military research and/or lack of clear provinces assigned for food, army or money production.

If u keep everything level 2 initially, add grove/farm minor and theater/delicatessen/grove in capitol it's simply impossible to have unrest from squalor.
    Capture some world wonders and add some PO from philosophy and your able to start upgrading to level 3 buildings without much thought.

OP, take a look at this awesome guide; http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Strategy-Tips
    Yes that was another problem I had. I was upgrading settlements and militarising strategic areas that I didn't realised they cause more PO problems. I didn't realise how much strategy and depth there was in this mod.