Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

Default Re: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.J View Post
    I also see this game more like total war battles : kingdoms. But the better way to have it as attila with adapted engine
    It's possible, but highly unprobable. We know for a fact that the game has already been in development for almost two years at least, so it doesn't sound like a small project. Also, CA makes it look much more important than those two minor titles and a Total War: Warhammer is a guaranteed financial success, as long as it's based on the classic TW model. Even of its AI makes the starving navies of the Garamantes look like sophisticated napoleonic manoeuvres, people would buy it like crazy. It'll be something like R2, with a name famous enough to boost sales, regardless of the game's quality.

I got addicted since Medieval I. MAN do I miss that character trait system! But you guys are slowly making a new trait system that is getting there. I have to agree with most old timers, wtf is Warhammer doing in TW? I haven't even played that game before for a reason...it looks gay.

BUT! I remember saying Empire TW was going to be a mistake and Napolean turned out to be my favorite TW title so who is to say? But whatever the next title is.....PLEASE look into a new engine or do something about wait times for battles and turns. I still cannot get into Empire, Shogun 2 or Rome 2 fully because of this. Granted I play them, but not with the same interest and passion I did back for the Medievals and Rome 1. Napolean only made the cut because I spent 3 years of my life reading the Richard Sharpe stories and it was impossible not to relive those books while playing.

total off topic: the day when this video appears on TWC, my wife, after two test, result to be pregnant of my first son! Thanks CA for the lucky good sign! I'm a lucky man and let me just share my joy with everyone Another total war fan (surely greater than the father!) is coming for the next decades of your games!

The Outsider's Avatar Civis

So were there any announcments on Rezzed?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by FromHellBG View Post
    I can not wait for Total War:Warhammer this is my dream game.
    The odd thing is that Total War games are very similar to dream girls. Rarely they are smart and good looking the same time. So a Total War title either looks good or on the other hand inspires us with a decent AI and great content.

Seems all those that have issues with the DLC-Mania and all the issues Warscape brought are hard to please. But then it counts what they can sell, and if they make a record in sales with Rome 2, a most broken game - still - who cares about some complaints among the million of players. Probably no one? Just a guess. It's like Apple brings out a Macbook with literally "NO USB ports"(video), what matters is that still some careless will support and buy it. Same with the DLC stuff and new iterations of games that fields things people expected in the first line, like Attila and Napoleon show at best!

It's the same way with Total War. As the "silent majority" supports their conducts and business practices, there is no reason to change them, right?
    Last edited by alQamar; March 13, 2015 at 09:56 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    By the time the "DLC whoring" is done Vanilla Attila it will be far better than Vanilla Medieval 2.
    I bet CA won't add:
    - more building slots
    - better sieges without cardboard gates and exploding towers
    - climate system influencing unit performance
    - superior unit mass and collision
    - secondary unit stats
    - and decent modding support via DLCs to the game

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    It's not like they made the game harder to mod on purpose to protect their profits.
    You forget that we are living in a capitalistic world. Of course they fear superior stuff made by modders for free. Who would spend money on cheap faction DLCs if there were a big and ambitious overhaul mod like Stainless Steel for Attila?
    Luckily, good companies like Paradox are smarter when it comes to modding support. Just look how Meiou and Taxes for Europa Universalis 4 pushes the game to its limits with hundreds of new provinces, several new religions and cultures, decisions and even more.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Simspon, Creative Director at CA in 2015[/quote
    We have five teams. The original core team is working on the main game, Attila at the moment, and it’s still the same size as it was, or just slightly larger than on the previous project. So it’s not like we’re diluting the main team in order to do more projects. The main team will always be focused on single-player historical strategy games. All of these offshoots, though, we’ll try different things. Some will work well, some not so well, and we’ll just keep going.
    For those that are crying this is the death of historcal TW's. This was said in 2015 in this article: http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/08/wh...ire-interview/
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

15 years of bugged AI

As sad as it is, I think CA were well on the road to killing our beloved historical games already. Now I'm never going to buy anything Warhammer because... well, on -my- tabletop we roll with Flames of War, but maybe taking some influence from the gaming table and not the RTS genre will be good for the mechanics of the series.

To me the campaign maps of R2 and Attila already show a superhuman effort to go back to a risk-board style of strategy to prop up a faltering AI while trying to mask that simplification from the player. The battle mechanics have gotten faster and messier because thats what RTS players want (let's be honest, TW games aren't played much by hardcore fans of more traditional RTS'es like Starcraft, there's too much thinking and not enough clicking, even now). So maybe, just maybe, trying a Warhammer title will force CA to look hard at some of the gameplay issues haunting the series without being bogged down in a lot of historical requirements and having to balance arms and tactics from a dozen cultures that historically were unbalanced in the first place. Maybe this is a chance to return to the roots of the series (Shogun was a boardgame after all) and fix some lingering issues that have grown up like barnacles around the basic gameplay. Does Warhammer usually have agents running around assassinating people constantly and stopping armies in their tracks? I'll bet it doesn't.

Then again, maybe they'll just port over some art from the THQ titles and call it a day. I'm sure that'll give plenty of beta testing for the sequel.
    Blue field the rule, Slaadi shall we.

tiepilot98's Avatar Libertus

A lot of mistakes, inexpressive animation fights and another defects - not from the poor performance of the company. This is from the engine - "Warscape". And when you stop to use this engine, when you create the new engine, which can also be modified as Rome or Medieval II, when you do the normal animation fighting and return system buildings of Rome and Medieval II - then former glory will return. After creating unannounced project you have the opportunity to create it, and you have the resources. I beg you, do it, because the strategy genre, and even - global strategy - dies.
    Last edited by tiepilot98; March 13, 2015 at 12:15 PM.

Imperator Artorius's Avatar Miles

If Warhammer actually improves on the battles, which have imo at best stood still or more likely regressed in the last 8 years, then I'm all for it. Its about time we got some weightier, bigger and smarter battles in a series made famous by them to begin with.

bollard's Avatar Foederatus

If it's Warhammer , let it be so, but it's good bye from me and thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by bollard View Post
    If it's Warhammer , let it be so, but it's good bye from me and thanks for all the fish
    I couldn't help but look out my window expecting to see dolphins

Semisalis

Gee you guys sure like your sea battles. Have I really been playing for 15 years? I am anticipating war hammer will be excellent coming as it does after the fixes to Atilla. Sadly, I won't be buying because I have too many TW games to play already

i like Rome 2, I think it was a good experiment, it just lacks some heart (yes, yes I knwo y'all have more complaints) After all, what would you do if you were a developer and had to choose between gameplay and indepth historical features, knowing that no matter what you did modders would add more historical accuracy
    Last edited by Col.KanKrusha; March 13, 2015 at 06:51 PM.
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    We have five teams. The original core team is working on the main game, Attila at the moment, and it’s still the same size as it was, or just slightly larger than on the previous project. So it’s not like we’re diluting the main team in order to do more projects. The main team will always be focused on single-player historical strategy games. All of these offshoots, though, we’ll try different things. Some will work well, some not so well, and we’ll just keep going.

For those that are crying this is the death of historcal TW's. This was said in 2015 in this article: http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/08/wh...ire-interview/
    Give this more attention everybody. I have missed it, too, but it sounds like CA is trying to spread the TW franchise and Warhammer is just an experimental branch, which will not take the spot of a "normal" TW game. (If I read that correctly)
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    it sounds like CA is trying to spread the TW franchise and Warhammer is just an experimental branch, which will not take the spot of a "normal" TW game. (If I read that correctly)
    But they cannot do Warhammer in a half-baked way because this is for a new audience, and this will be a full PC release -- and they've already revealed the game will be another Total War; and that the recent TW on Warscape games are released at the rate of one per year. Warhammer is the TW PC/Warscape title for FY 2016. I would not be surprised if CA has convinced themselves that Warhammer is a somehow a "historical strategy game," what with all the lore etc. We'll get a historical title in FY 2017, probably Medieval 3 in time for Christmas 2016.

This is a great time for other strategy game developers to step into the void.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 13, 2015 at 08:35 PM.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Probably. But if you dislike the releases so much the prolonged wait will give you more time to make very influential forum posts for CA to digest.

Warhammer won't be historical, but there are clear historical influences looking at some of the art.

Look at dis knight mane:

This is a great time for other strategy game developers to step into the void.
    Probably. But strategy ain't popular anymore in most cases. I mean they don't even make Command and Conquer games anymore and they were number 1 for ages.
    Last edited by Sharpe; March 13, 2015 at 08:38 PM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Probably. But strategy ain't popular anymore in most cases. I mean they don't even make Command and Conquer games anymore and they were number 1 for ages.
    This was true in 2013 but there have been quite a few space strategy games released in the last year -- I'm not into SciFi (or Warhammer) but I think turn based and rts games are fairly hot right now. Endless Legend, Homeworld remastered, comes to mind also Civ Beyond Earth, etc.

It's a matter of time before the historical strategy catches fire again. It is interesting to see so many still playing TWR2 for example.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I haven't heard of any of them.

Richard III's Avatar Tiro

Strategy games are definitely on the decline, at least in the traditional desk top sense. Oddly enough, it's become big on mobile platforming, but nothing more than a watered down version of our beloved genre. The last good games I can think of would be the Company of Heroes series(WWII) and Dawn of War series (Warhammer 40k). Sadly, the studio who made these great games isn't even in existence anymore.

Back to the topic, another nice thing about the setting, which Sharpe alluded to - the variety of factions CA now has the luxury of choosing from for the game. If all goes according to plan, their starting roster (Hopefully it doesn't get picked bare for DLC packs) could rival Medieval II in complexity and depth. As many others have said, it's all about the engine: Warhammer is separated from other fantasy genres because of how brutal it is. There can't be signs of troops blobbing, unit stuttering, or lulls caused in the battle by pathfinding issues. More than ever an engine that can support fluid motions, varied skeletons (including large Height differentials between even basic infantry units), and the possibilty of air units reacting to/attacking ground units and vice versa.

In reality, the two (Total War and Warhammer Fantasy) make sense from virtually every game standpoint one would have interest in. The only reason you wouldn't be interested in it is because of the fluff material.
    "Good Men Don't Need Rules."