Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

Default Re: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

In before threads about Warhammer's historical accuraccy.

"The orcs' boots are all wrong..."
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Warhammer is actually what CA should be doing... it would keep all of us annoyed history buffs calm. I can't stand the mickey-mouseiness of units in TW ... Rome, which had loads of other problems had good units... but the unit progression in Atilla is ridiculously unhistorical
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Some words and thoughts about "15 years of Total War" anniversary from my point of view:

15 years are a very long time and I've not seen many game developing companies that survived that long. The list of the dead is long in the gaming industry:

• Psygnosis
    • Bullfrog
    • Ascaron Entertainment
    • Microprose

and many others that enjoyed us with very very decent games are gone.

Maxis is the latest victim to name.

Creative Assembly survived all that times, with mostly one single brand - a cash cow I may say.

But success is not self-sustaining. To keep things up you need to deliver the best, instead of being just a part of the best.

CA decided to go the modern path:

• from traditional selling to Steam
    • from being published by Activision, owned by SEGA
    • from having a few branches and games, having a variety of games
    • from PC only to multiplatform support
    • from single player game till Medieval 1 to Multiplayer gaming
    • from meaningful addons to extensive DLC whoring
    • from staying in contact through an official forum now supporting twitter, twitch, youtube, youtuber community, facebook and TWCenter.net and reddit
    • and as a last fact also pushing out games in an unsolicited state, unfinished, too unhistorical for some, with a lots of patching in the need.

The announced extension of the TW brand by Kingdoms and Arena are necessary steps to serve new markets.

I am one of the people that is longer than 15 years into gaming business from the viewpoint of a customer so I can fairly understand many things but I have to deny many things aswell.

I wish CA good luck with their plans and new games. I am looking forward to Arena, which may be the last serious chance in time to call the TW clans to arms in bigger scale than just fancy 1v1 or 2v2 tournaments.

Fingers crossed!

yours,
    al Qamar

#creativeassembly #totalwar

Some of those died because of the cancer that is EA

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Davout View Post
    What's this roar.....I saw nothing that was hinting.

And what is MORE? I see nothing......
    The roar is for BORE-hammer. Anyhoo, I suppose this is as good a time as any for CA to delve into fantasy TW games. The TW formula is getting stale. The engine is decrepit, and new tech is on the horizon.

Hopefully historical TW comes back bigger and better than ever at some point in 2017 or beyond.

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

Having played mods with fantasy-themes, what remember is that huge beasts like dragons are quite easy to take down with at least the mtw2 engine. This is because they are one single unit that gets hundreds of arrows on it easily.

Im fine with War-hammer total war. I like it when Creative Assembly get the chance to be... creative. Fall of the Samurai was fantastic because there were so many new ideas that got implemented in the game. There should be some new innovations if they are going for a fantasy theme.
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

Barney the Purple Dragon at the end

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

The beginning was awesome. Anyone noticed how you actually saw ingame footage until Napoleon, the way the battle actually looks, what you actually really see when playing - and for Rome 2 and Attila it was mostly cinematics you only have in intros or stuff but which you actually never see ingame as in a battle or something... (which also reflects the advertising. Back in the days your TW games actually looked exactly like what you got when you played your own battles. Nowadays TW games look nothing like in the trailers although I have a really decent computer...)

I am glad for 15 years of TW, overall it is the best game series ever! I am thankful and proud!!!
    But...
    with the next title being Warhammer?! - I am out of the series
    Why after 15 years changing policy and going into fantasy, when there is so much epic historical time frames and locations to cover...
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; March 11, 2015 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi Wan Asterix View Post
    Warhammer is actually what CA should be doing... it would keep all of us annoyed history buffs calm.
    It would definitely calm us down, Asterix, but I doubt the Warhammer title will have the same effects for CA. The Warhammer universe is extremely complicated, with military and cultural details that would make CA nostalgic about the New Kingdom Egyptians and the Ostrogothic sarissophoroi...

i'm in since the time of (the fisrt!) Shogun... from that moment, i fell in love with CA. Thanks so much for every moment you stayed with me, in the "finest" and the "darkest" hours of my life; in the sadness, when a girl said me "no", in the joy, when, returning home after playing soccer, i made a "goal" that never imaginate to be able to do, in the very middle of the night or in a lazy summer afternoon (now i see every personal scenes in my mind)... Thanks so much, because you made me feel less alone. I was a boy who dream of the past wars, now i'm a man, with an own family, and i continue to dream your works, between the daily troubles. You preserve the "ghost" of that old boy, who want never die in me. For everything you gave to me, really, thank you!

Just a point!

Stay true to yourselves! Total War is made for us, is made for the humans and their history... Please, no dragons or any fantasy creatures for the future... please...

I love you. Sorry for my bad english.

Grazie.

steam account: crepax80

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBigAb View Post
    The beginning was awesome. Anyone noticed how you actually saw ingame footage until Napoleon, the way the battle actually look what you actually really see when playing - and for Rome 2 and Attila it was mostly cinematics you only have in intros or stuff but which you actually never see ingame as in a battle or something... (which also reflects the advertising. Back in the days your TW games actually looked exactly like what you got when you played your own battles. Nowadays TW games look nothing like in the trailers although I have a really decent computer...)
    Actually the Rome and Medieval 2 footage were from cutscenes. The only true in game footage in the video was in Shogun 1 and Medieval 1.

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

I don't think I could be any less interested in Warhammer if I tried. I like fantasy, but the Warhammer universe has never done anything for me. History's what I really enjoy, and I like the TW series because it so often combines quality gameplay with historical settings. There are so many fantasy games out there already, and not as many historical ones as far as I can tell.

Still, I'm going to see the positive side of this; if, as people are saying, the dragons or giant rats or gnomes with accountancy ledgers (that's a thing, right?) will necessitate a step away from the 1v1 nature of the current engine, then a new one may have to be created. And if that happens, it may come with a full modding kit and usher in a wave of community-developed historical mods for the game on this new engine. And that'd be terrific.

Thanks for the last 15 years!

Humble Warrior where art thou?

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Some words and thoughts about "15 years of Total War" anniversary from my point of view:

15 years are a very long time and I've not seen many game developing companies that survived that long. The list of the dead is long in the gaming industry:

• Psygnosis
    • Bullfrog
    • Ascaron Entertainment
    • Microprose

and many others that enjoyed us with very very decent games are gone.

Maxis is the latest victim to name.

Creative Assembly survived all that times, with mostly one single brand - a cash cow I may say.

But success is not self-sustaining. To keep things up you need to deliver the best, instead of being just a part of the best.

CA decided to go the modern path:

• from traditional selling to Steam
    • from being published by Activision, owned by SEGA
    • from having a few branches and games, having a variety of games
    • from PC only to multiplatform support
    • from single player game till Medieval 1 to Multiplayer gaming
    • from meaningful addons to extensive DLC whoring
    • from staying in contact through an official forum now supporting twitter, twitch, youtube, youtuber community, facebook and TWCenter.net and reddit
    • and as a last fact also pushing out games in an unsolicited state, unfinished, too unhistorical for some, with a lots of patching in the need.

The announced extension of the TW brand by Kingdoms and Arena are necessary steps to serve new markets.

I am one of the people that is longer than 15 years into gaming business from the viewpoint of a customer so I can fairly understand many things but I have to deny many things aswell.

I wish CA good luck with their plans and new games. I am looking forward to Arena, which may be the last serious chance in time to call the TW clans to arms in bigger scale than just fancy 1v1 or 2v2 tournaments.

Fingers crossed!

yours,
    al Qamar

#creativeassembly #totalwar
    An objective and a very good analisys. I agree with you. Been a Total War player since the beginning. Loved (and played) all the Titles. Thank's CA for all the fun.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

I honestly think a total war fantasy game would be really fun to play, and given CA's recent pivot to more mod support, should allow some really insane mods too. Im personally psyched for whatever comes next.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by LordInvictus View Post
    Actually the Rome and Medieval 2 footage were from cutscenes. The only true in game footage in the video was in Shogun 1 and Medieval 1.
    It was from cutscenes, but the actual battle still looked exactly like that - these cutscenes where made from ingame footage via CinEd - the nowadays cutscenes are animations using the models of units from the game may be but beside that not showing anything of what you really got to see in your own battles etc.

I have been a Total War fan since the original Shogun release and I have thoroughly enjoyed these games that have brought me thousands of hours of entertainment. I am excited for the future of this wonderful gaming franchise!

Yaaaay that game we all know is going to come out has been teased and not even confirmed yet. The cryptic roar is obvious, it has nothing to do with anything normal/realistic/history, it's clearly a fantastical beast of some sort belonging to Warhammer. That's fine, as long as its development and release has no impact on that of Medieval 3.

That roar was for Alien : Total War.... no ?
    Ok it's probably gonna be Warhammer, as expected, It doesnt bother me much, i like fantasy titles too, my only hope is that they create a new engine
    sadly my guess is : they won't... so my humble guess is that this WH title is gonna be disapointing (I hope I'm wrong !)
    Hopefully then, a new engine will be ready for the title after that !! wich will be Med 3 !! woohoo !!

Ok enough with the wild speculations

I can still remember the day I bought Shogun (the first) as a child, damn i was so exited after having played the demo dozens of time !
    So the thanks for these 15 years of entertainment !

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBigAb View Post
    The beginning was awesome. Anyone noticed how you actually saw ingame footage until Napoleon, the way the battle actually looks, what you actually really see when playing - and for Rome 2 and Attila it was mostly cinematics you only have in intros or stuff but which you actually never see ingame as in a battle or something... (which also reflects the advertising. Back in the days your TW games actually looked exactly like what you got when you played your own battles. Nowadays TW games look nothing like in the trailers although I have a really decent computer...)

I am glad for 15 years of TW, overall it is the best game series ever! I am thankful and proud!!!
    But...
    with the next title being Warhammer?! - I am out of the series
    Why after 15 years changing policy and going into fantasy, when there is so much epic historical time frames and locations to cover...
    Says the guy that plays fantasy mods

Note to CA*
    Please leave the flying Orcs and fantasy units to Blizzard.

Im going to pass on this.