Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

WOOOOOOOO ORCS

As someone who's mostly lost touch with Total War, I'm actually pretty excited to see that CA are stepping out of their comfort zone. I think it'll throw some great spanners into their works, and force them to adapt. They'll probably make some serious -ups, but alongside those will be a lot of positive changes that will be reflected in future games.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

15 years of wonderful memories. Thanks guys for an incredible gaming series
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Glory days ended after Medieval II as that was a time in video gaming history when expansions actually mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by warboy View Post
    Ah, the glory days are now over for CA, all the historically accurate games gone for good, now we have to look forward to children's fantasy games produced from CA now on. CA used to be great at making masterpieces, but I find with the new technology available these days and the competitive nature of the gaming industry, games are stream lined, units with loads of abilities to use in battle that I never have time to use because of micro-managing a battlefield, no more family trees so-to-speak(not ones like in medieval 2 and rome) app like options in games now, halloween themes being released, what's next a bunch of Santas in their sleighs with laser cannons attached shooting each other, etc. It just makes it all too much and silly, anyways it was good while it lasted, for me this ended after napoleon total war.
    Oh cry me a bloody river. If you stopped playing after Napoleon I feel bad for you because Shogun 2 and Attila are probably the two best TW games to date.

Quote Originally Posted by warboy View Post
    Ah, the glory days are now over for CA, all the historically accurate games gone for good, now we have to look forward to children's fantasy games produced from CA now on. CA used to be great at making masterpieces, but I find with the new technology available these days and the competitive nature of the gaming industry, games are stream lined, units with loads of abilities to use in battle that I never have time to use because of micro-managing a battlefield, no more family trees so-to-speak(not ones like in medieval 2 and rome) app like options in games now, halloween themes being released, what's next a bunch of Santas in their sleighs with laser cannons attached shooting each other, etc. It just makes it all too much and silly, anyways it was good while it lasted, for me this ended after napoleon total war.
    Wow, thanks for such a quality post on such a quality forum! Great Contribution! Nice!

As for the video, sometimes I forget how long I've been playing Total War games and how much fun I've had playing them. Thanks CA, even if you are greedy dudes.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

A pretty good trailer and congrats to CA on the anniversary, even though they have watered down their very own franchise in some regard (I definitely don't like the mobile/tablet crap...); all in all, however, Attila seems to be a determined step in the right direction. I would be more than happy to see a proper Warhammer game released by CA, even though I'm not a WH-fan.

As for the whiners in this thread and on the forum in general: go off and play Rome 1 and Medieval 2 if that's what you long for (albeit I bet it's more nostalgia than anything else); no need to cry constantly all over the place about how things have changed since 10 years ago and how it's all bad. I actually love both those games, but c'mon -- both have their own, rather serious, issues as well.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Some words and thoughts about "15 years of Total War" anniversary from my point of view:

15 years are a very long time and I've not seen many game developing companies that survived that long. The list of the dead is long in the gaming industry:

• Psygnosis
    • Bullfrog
    • Ascaron Entertainment
    • Microprose

and many others that enjoyed us with very very decent games are gone.

Maxis is the latest victim to name.

Creative Assembly survived all that times, with mostly one single brand - a cash cow I may say.

But success is not self-sustaining. To keep things up you need to deliver the best, instead of being just a part of the best.

CA decided to go the modern path:

• from traditional selling to Steam
    • from being published by Activision, owned by SEGA
    • from having a few branches and games, having a variety of games
    • from PC only to multiplatform support
    • from single player game till Medieval 1 to Multiplayer gaming
    • from meaningful addons to extensive DLC whoring
    • from staying in contact through an official forum now supporting twitter, twitch, youtube, youtuber community, facebook and TWCenter.net and reddit
    • and as a last fact also pushing out games in an unsolicited state, unfinished, too unhistorical for some, with a lots of patching in the need.

The announced extension of the TW brand by Kingdoms and Arena are necessary steps to serve new markets.

I am one of the people that is longer than 15 years into gaming business from the viewpoint of a customer so I can fairly understand many things but I have to deny many things aswell.

I wish CA good luck with their plans and new games. I am looking forward to Arena, which may be the last serious chance in time to call the TW clans to arms in bigger scale than just fancy 1v1 or 2v2 tournaments.

Fingers crossed!

yours,
    al Qamar

#creativeassembly #totalwar
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Libertus

Warhammer......oh yes please. Very much looking forward to that. The TW concept fits perfectly with it.

Rage of the Dark Gods is a great example, but on a modern engine....pure bliss for me.

Barbarian Nobility's Avatar Tribunus
    South Australia - Land of the Bogan and home of the serial killer

15 years of Total war, well done guys

Although I must admit I'm absolutely horrified by the prospect of a Warhammer Total War game :/ i'll give anything a chance, but please don't stop making historical games!!!

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

Warhammer? Really? Not effin buying.

May 15 more years come
    and they finally will start branching out to other sources other than history.

Ugh, is there not enough fantasy games? Total War should stick to historical themes. My only hope it is just a side-project like that arena game, or whatever it's called.

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

While I'm not a Warhammer fan (other than the M2 mod), the backstory of the universe is pretty extensive, so there is plenty of potential for diplomacy, strategy, and all the things you may expect from a historical TW game. Also, almost every type of warfare is represented in Warhammer, which should please all the people who want Medieval 3 (the many Houses of the Empire are very medieval in terms of tactics, weapons, and armor), Empire 2 (gunpowder is frequently used by some factions), or China (Cathay).

Oh and obligatory Two Steps From Hell shout-out!

I really hope not to see TW going to Warhammer. SEGA as Relic for those games.
    TW is the unique game in the World where we can always learn about History.
    Do not change it .
    Click to check :
    My Youtube channel
    Steam profile :
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006562367/

Resume of my world tournament participations of TW since 2011.
    6 conquests, 9 finals disputed and 13 semi disputed.
    Player with most campaign conquests on TW on legendary.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Hope to see Warhammer TW announcement at Rezzed

Tighes_Hood's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Rostam_e_Iran View Post
    As long as it's a better battle engine I'm in. I don't want to see some humanoid dude surrounded by 10 dragons only to take them on 1 by 1 while the rest just stand(?) there admiring each others breath.
    I will only buy this game if it has a new engine. I agree with you entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tighes_Hood View Post
    I will only buy this game if it has a new engine. I agree with you entirely.
    I agree that this franchise needs a new battle engine. It needs a new engine to support 64bit. But the most important thing would be to enhance and facilitate modding with complete mod tools, sadly that will not happen. Not looking forward to Warhammer, but let's see what comes out of this.

Congratz CA for 15 years and thanks for many, many hours of entertainment. Not played every game, but I've been down since the original Shogun.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; March 11, 2015 at 04:28 AM.

soie's Avatar Laetus

Warhammer Total War hinted at the end?
    Cool

Hadro's Avatar Civis

awesome achievement!

CPU:
    i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz OC (Cooler master hyper evo 212)
    Mobo: Asus Z87-a
    GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC edition