Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: 15 Years of Total War & Rezzed

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Rome II and Attila use unqique maps for each map tile. Don't think I've fought a battle on a repeating one yet, save for cities and towns.
    There may be a larger pool of templates now, but they're not actually the land you're initiating the battle on (or being attacked on). It's a cheap alternative, and a big step backwards. It was a major selling point for the early total war games, they were more grown up, having features even older military folk in my family thought were real deal simulation level features. And I have fought on the same repeating map during my miserable time with Rome2. I fought on the same tile all the way from one coastal city in Iberia to the central one in one hilly area -- 5+ battles throughout those hills in different "zones" but always the same map -- just from different sides or points of entry. Backwards.

I've taken up in the high hills around a town after outmaneuvering a superior army, only to find totally different flat terrain once the AI engaged me (where I plotted and cleverly got them to). Advantage gone. Strategy out the window.

I've set up in the woods through a narrow valley in northern Italy to ambush reinforcements pouring into the area, only to find a barren, sandy open terrain where I couldn't hide any troops once the battle was initiated. Pointless campaign positioning.

This goes on and on, making any strategic level to the game completely moot especially when you factor in that the AI can just take flight on the open sea and avoid any difficult land routes whenever, and wherever it wants. Total farce.

That was only my PS. There's still no real battle simulation going on in these engines. There aren't even real secondary weapons, you know that by now of course. It's all a big cosmetic lie.

The best thing to say about it, is that it's a marketing video, that you can play. Has about as much depth as a 3 minute video too.

More like 10 years of good games cause the last few years have been really terrible. RIP

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I mean, Im not suggesting that it's wrong to just like history, and not have a taste for pizza. All Im saying is that I think it's silly to only stick with pork chops, and dismiss pizza completely, without giving it a fair try. If you've only ever eaten bad pizza, then you'll never know if you really don't like it!
    No thanks, I have no Interest in fantasy whatsoever and I think I would rather watch paint dry then play a warhammer total war game! Sorry that's my personal opinion and nothing will ever change my stance in this.
    Having visited a games workshop store recently I immediatley vacate the premises with no clue how this genre actually works?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I'll go further (surprise!) and say that fantasy TW will be greasy cardboard box delivery pizza. The crust will be filled with bacon bits and processed cheese dlc.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 18, 2015 at 08:30 AM.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    It would definitely calm us down, Asterix, but I doubt the Warhammer title will have the same effects for CA. The Warhammer universe is extremely complicated, with military and cultural details that would make CA nostalgic about the New Kingdom Egyptians and the Ostrogothic sarissophoroi...
    @Hibernian you are right! But from my experience with the Matrix Warhammer 40k release now (also linked to TWC through the original Lordz), the franchise is very good at forcing details through on game producers who buy into their copyright.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    No thanks, I have no Interest in fantasy whatsoever and I think I would rather watch paint dry then play a warhammer total war game! Sorry that's my personal opinion and nothing will ever change my stance in this.
    Having visited a games workshop store recently I immediatley vacate the premises with no clue how this genre actually works?
    How about you keep an open mind and try out new things? Instead of .. you know.. what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    How about you keep an open mind and try out new things? Instead of .. you know.. what you are doing.
    Toon is saying he had a look at Warhammer and he ran for the nearest exit.

I look at all the WH online crap online and realize...wow, this definitely isn't for me...I could be playing a historical scenario instead! Whereas, with TeS Skyrim or M&B, I looked at previews and thought, wait, I get to run around in this big open world in the first person, exploring wherever I want and having adventures...sign me up!!"
    Last edited by Huberto; March 18, 2015 at 10:06 AM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Thing is, We first got proof of warhammer through a PC screen which included a list of warscape games and warhammer. So I'm reading into that that the Warhammer game is going to be in the warscape family of games.
    Warscape is just graphic rendering engine so it it's possible that they use the graphic rendering engine for multiple games.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Warscape is just graphic rendering engine so it it's possible that they use the graphic rendering engine for multiple games.
    And again what it really needs is to be updated to 64bit and use multiple cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi Wan Asterix View Post
    @Hibernian you are right! But from my experience with the Matrix Warhammer 40k release now (also linked to TWC through the original Lordz), the franchise is very good at forcing details through on game producers who buy into their copyright.
    if you know anything about warhammer, please don't mix it up.
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; March 18, 2015 at 10:46 AM.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Huberto summed it up quite nicely!! I do have an open mind, but I am a realist and not a fantasist!

Please refrain from trying to convince me to look at this "pony and trap" as its not going to happen.

I like my Pork Chops from Waitrose and I do not want to be anywhere near Dominos Pizza!!

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

K.

You can remain the big boy on the big boy swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    K.

You can remain the big boy on the big boy swing.
    Lol at those people seriously, fantasy is something that people, love it takes you away from this World, into something different, fantasy is very creative and takes a lot to make, just looking at GRRM and his work.. outstanding amount of details.
    Prof. Tolkien created new languages and based facts on history, what he experienced himself during Great War, he created new mythos and something that inspires every single grear mind. WH also has a very solid lore, and there is lots good books based on it Gotrek and Felix, Vampire Wars trilogy. Reading on of the Army books and lore based on every faction.. but that's only for those willing to expand their mind. Those two narrow heads nahh..

Quote Originally Posted by englisharcher89 View Post
    Lol at those people seriously, fantasy is something that people, love it takes you away from this World, into something different, fantasy is very creative and takes a lot to make, just looking at GRRM and his work.. outstanding amount of details.
    Prof. Tolkien created new languages and based facts on history, what he experienced himself during Great War, he created new mythos and something that inspires every single grear mind. WH also has a very solid lore, and there is lots good books based on it Gotrek and Felix, Vampire Wars trilogy. Reading on of the Army books and lore based on every faction.. but that's only for those willing to expand their mind. Those two narrow heads nahh..
    Gotrek and Felix! Sounds like the the owners of the kebab shop down the road from me!

On a serious note, that's why I play historical PC games as I can reenact famous battles and play my own fantasy campaigns and what if scenarios etc!!

I do not need to play with orcs and flying monkeys to have escapism from the real world. As factual history based games fulfil my needs only.
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; March 18, 2015 at 03:06 PM.

FromHellBG's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Rostam_e_Iran View Post
    As long as it's a better battle engine I'm in. I don't want to see some humanoid dude surrounded by 10 dragons only to take them on 1 by 1 while the rest just stand(?) there admiring each others breath.
    Maybe is not a dragon? maybe is tyranid

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Toon is saying he had a look at Warhammer and he ran for the nearest exit.

I look at all the WH online crap online and realize...wow, this definitely isn't for me...I could be playing a historical scenario instead! Whereas, with TeS Skyrim or M&B, I looked at previews and thought, wait, I get to run around in this big open world in the first person, exploring wherever I want and having adventures...sign me up!!"

Well M&B is pretty much historical fantasy. However Tes Skyrim is pretty much just Warhammer in a different world. If you find that acceptable, then Warhammer should be no problem.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Well M&B is pretty much historical fantasy. However Tes Skyrim is pretty much just Warhammer in a different world. If you find that acceptable, then Warhammer should be no problem.
    Hmmm I believe you are right, But TES. is more self aware, I mean just read aboot Chip.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Yes, but if there is anything closer to WH in terms of atmosphere and historical inspiration.. then I'd say Witcher, medieval dark fantasy, similar to GoT in terms of politics snd armies, but as for everything else is WH world.

Quote Originally Posted by englisharcher89 View Post
    Yes, but if there is anything closer to WH in terms of atmosphere and historical inspiration.. then I'd say Witcher, medieval dark fantasy, similar to GoT in terms of politics snd armies, but as for everything else is WH world.
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I Dont want to play any of those games using the TW system. At all.

Citizen

But plenty of people do

Hey, maybe you'll even like it? You never know

But plenty of people do
    Sure. But plenty of people will be as hell about it . It will be divisive and if you think this thread is bad, just wait.

On the other hand, if I loved something enough I wouldn't care if we lost half of the community because of it. Plus you'll make new friends on the forum as all the deep geeks, WH and WoW fantasy buffs and cos-play warriors arrive ahead of release.