Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Native Unit Voice Mod for TW:Attila

Icon10 Native Unit Voice Mod for TW:Attila

. . . .. . . .

AVE! / Hairete!

The aim of our project is to create a fully sufficient Voice Mod for TW: Attila that would feature units of different factions taking orders and replying to the player in their Native Language. - Now wouldn't that be epic?

Imagine Eastern Romans speaking Greek, shouting their battle cries, the Western Romans giving tactized and preset orders handed from generation to generation within the legions in Latin, and Germanics roaring in their native language when burning down a city west of the Rhine. This would totally change the game's atmosphere and how the players would imense themselves in gameplay.

HOWEVER, YOU ARE NEEDED TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.
    For anyone who will join the cause will get regular miels and a good Woman!

PROGRESS:

The mod is a work in progress in pre alpha stages - the scripts for the Western and Eastern Roman Empires have already been written,
    all that remains to be done is to write the script for other factions, then act it and get it into the game.

MOD STAFF:

Mod Initiator: Legio Comitatenses
    Mod leader: -to be voted-

Scriptor/ Coder: WANTED
    Lead Historian: WANTED

All members: Augustusng, mester, Legio Comitatenses

Latin Voice Writer: Legio Comitatenses
    Greek Voice Writer: Legio Comitatenses
    Hunnic Voice Writer: WANTED
    Sassanid Voice Writer: WANTED
    Germanic Voice Writer: WANTED
    Scandinavian Voice Writer: WANTED
    Sarmatian (Alan) Vice Writer: WANTED
    Armenian Voice Writer: mester
    Saharan Nomads Voice Writer: WANTED
    Arabian Nomads Voice Writer: WANTED
    Kartvelian Voice Writer: WANTED

Slavic Voice Writer (for a possible future expansion): WANTED

Latin Actor: Augustusng
    Greek Actor: WANTED
    Hunnic Actor: WANTED
    Sassanid Actor: WANTED
    Germanic Actor: WANTED
    Scandinavian Actor: WANTED
    Sarmatian (Alan) Actor: WANTED
    Armenian Actor: WANTED
    Saharan Nomads Actor: WANTED
    Arabian Nomads Actor: WANTED
    Kartvelian Actor: WANTED

Slavic Actor (for a possible future expansion): WANTED

EXAMPLES FROM THE SCRIPT (please note that these are strictly pre alpha and limited):

Western Roman Empire

Move order: "IITE"
    Attack order: "EXPVGNATE!" "BARBAROS EXPVGNATE!" "EXPVGNATE ISTOS!" "Yarr!"

Armigieri Defensores: "ARMIGIERI!" "ARMIGIERI DEFENSORES!" form attacking testudo: "TESTVDO AGETE!" "TES-TV-DO!"

"EXPVGNAATE!"

Legio Comitatenses: "LEGIO COMITATENSES!" form defensive testudo: "TESTVDO AG-E-TE ET DEFENDITE!"
    charge: "LEGIO! EXPVGNATE ISTOS!" "EXPVGNATE !!!" "Yarrr!!!"

Herculiani Seniores: "HERCVLIANI!" move order: "SIC EST DOMINE, DEI IN NOMINE!" "ITA EST, IITE!"

Eastern Roman Empire

Move order: "Ney, Strataigos!" "Strataigos!" "Ainte! (needs confirmation)" "Ney!"
    Attack order: "Kata varvaron foreite!" "Ainte, foreite!" "Kata polemion foreite!" "Yarr!"

General (any): "Strataigos!"
    General (Comes): "Komitos!" "Strataigos!"
    General (Magister Militvm): "Arhontas tou Stratou!" "Maghister Militum!" "Arhontas!" "Strataigos!"

Menaolatoi: "Menaolatoi!" attack: "Kata Polemion Foreite!"
    Katafraktarii: "Katafrraktarioi!" attack: "lock and attack (needs translation)"
    Legio Komitatenses: "Legio ton Komitaton!" attack: "Legio! Foreite!" "Kata ton varvaron foreite!" "Yarr!"

Sassanid Empire

Pushtigban cavalry: "Pushtigban-e-Iranshahr!" attack: "Yaarr!"
    Giyan Avspar: "Giyan Avspar!" "Asvaran-e-Iranshahr!" attack: "Lock and Attack (needs translation)"
    Armenian spearmen: " ??? -e Hayasdan!" "Hayasdan!" attack: "Barrev!! ("forward!")"
    Persian swordsmen: "Arteshtare Parsigh!" "Sepahan-e-Parsigh!" "Sepahan !!"

AWAITNG ABLE MODDERS,
    just PM us and join the project!

Mod progress: ~5 %
    Last edited by Legio Comitatenses!; March 13, 2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added new members! :)

Biarchus

Default Re: Native Unit Voice Mod for TW:Attila

Nice idea, i like it

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Damn. This is the one of the many times I wish I could speak another language. Good luck with this.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Reliable Persian user I have spoken to about implementing Iranian voices for a mod of mine, he was willing to do it but it wasn't possible but I think he'll be up for this project.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/membe...eliablePersian

mester's Avatar Tiro

Good luck, I'm eager to see this mod released. By the way, I think legion in ancient greek is called λεγεών (legeon) not legio. I wanted also to tell you that I may be able to translate some lines in armenian. So, If you want send me some lines so I will translate them in armenian.
    Last edited by mester; March 10, 2015 at 05:14 PM.

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

For Greek and Latin, are you going for late antique or for regular classical pronuncation? There's of course stuff like Greek beta changing to "veeta" and more like that. Just curious

I'm just curious though, when did the Eastern Roman Empire actually start using Greek in an official capacity? Shouldn't everything still be in Latin in 395?

Also, I could try my hand at the Latin voices. I know Latin pronunciation pretty well.

By the way, any chance something like this is possible in Rome 2? I didn't know it was possible to mod voiceovers. It would be cool, especially in mods like DeI with so many new units that are still stuck with vanilla voices.

mester's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    I'm just curious though, when did the Eastern Roman Empire actually start using Greek in an official capacity? Shouldn't everything still be in Latin in 395?

Also, I could try my hand at the Latin voices. I know Latin pronunciation pretty well.

By the way, any chance something like this is possible in Rome 2? I didn't know it was possible to mod voiceovers. It would be cool, especially in mods like DeI with so many new units that are still stuck with vanilla voices.
    I think that it was Heraclius who estabilished the Greek language as the official language of the Eastern Roman Empire. He was the emperor during the 7th century which means that it's better to have latin voice acting for both roman empires.
    Last edited by mester; March 11, 2015 at 11:29 AM.

This would be amazing!

Thanks A LOT for the positive feedback,
    I didn't expect the startup to be so quick - one day and we are already digging in!

Firstly,
    let us welcome our new members:
    mester our writer for Armenia
    & Augustusng our Latin voice actor!

Secondly,
    let us answer your questions ... regarding the language in ERE:
    Language in all eastern provinces of the Roman state since even before the Empire was Greek, and Greek was also the official language, so effectively almost everyone in the ERE in 395 spoke Greek, including the Emperor, and including the army. Only ones speaking Latin were Roman settlers (today's Vlachs and Aromanians), the dignitati (army officials), and the Emperor, all of whom spoke more Greek than Latin in everyday life. Latin was used more widely though in the Danube Limes region.

- so we are going to hear Greek, but also Latin words/sentences/single orders from time to time playing as ERE.

As for how are we going to pronounce Latin?

For the Atmosphere and Historical accuracy's sake we had to make a hard compromise. We are going to use a delicate mixture of clasical and post-clasical latin with a slightly Spanish accent. This may sound a bit awkward, I know, but believe me - that way the atmosphere will feel just right, we know Latin had changed, it was not Ciceronian or clasical "C pronounced as /K/" anymore, but it was also not Roman Catholic "C pronounced as /See/" - it was something in between, an epic language, far more epic than it's today's remnant the liturgic church Latin, a live language of a great empire and a great people, a language of strong energy.

Oh, and yes!

We are bringing in the PERFECTLY HISTORICAL Roman whistle sound.
    The armies of WRE and ERE were highly ordered, their soldiers had excellent morale,
    and they were also incredibly ahead of their time. Did you know that the Roman legions used whistles?

Well if you didn't, you will soon hear...

Legeon! Legeon ton Komitaton! Limitaneoi! Menaolatoi (after Ctrl- clicking issues a move order)
    - Ainte ! Ainte !!!

(then issues an attack order) (thriple whistle sound) Ney, Strataigos! (trumpets sound) Yaaar!!! (drum sound)

mester's Avatar Tiro

I really like the idea with the wistle effects. Small details like these may seem unimportant but they really add a lot to the atmosphere and the immersion.

I hope you will be successful, in my opinion having armies speaking their true native language in game is a big deal.
    Some are rather hard to do, though, Germanic ? Proto-norse ?

Good luck.
    Qual ten la lenga, ten la clau que de sas cadenas lo desliura.

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

Maybe you can have a look over at Invasio Barbarorum's soundmod for inspiration and help? (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ndMod-Released!)

Also, I think it'd be good if you limited yourself to fewer languages. For example, Scandinavian and Germanic can be one voice (Scandinavian is actually a branch of Germanic); Huns and Sarmatians the same voice (Irano-Turkic steppe melting pot); Saharan and Arab together (both Semitic). You could give Armenia and/or Kartli Persian (they were both mostly under Sassanid suzerainty). Maybe even merge Alan and Persian... And then add in Celtic!

The result won't be the most historically correct ever. But it will still be good enough, and way less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose View Post
    Some are rather hard to do, though, Germanic ? Proto-norse ?
    It's about two / three hundred years after the time-frame, but there's a vast amount of Old English to use as a model. Besides that, there's of course the 4th century translation of the new testament into... Gothic!
    Warş şan in dagans jainans, urrann gagrefts fram kaisara Agustau, gameljan allana midjungard (Luke 2.1; when in those days, when there came from Caesar Augustus a decree that all people in the world should be counted)
    Last edited by Rinan; March 11, 2015 at 04:12 PM.

mester's Avatar Tiro

I think that the the eastern romans should not use the word "ainte". It is a turkish word (if it is the word that I think). Also, what accent are we going to use for the greek language? I know that in most countries ancient greek is tought with the erasmian accent but in Greece we use the modern accent.
    Last edited by mester; March 11, 2015 at 04:59 PM.

I like the initiative for this mod, and I would like to help, even though I don't really think I am any good [emoji14] I am from Denmark, but doesn't have that much understanding of old norse. But a tip is: for the Scandinavians, get someone from Iceland, their language has changed wery little from what the vikings spoke till today

Juliuscivilus's Avatar Civis
    In the middle of the Netherlands, all flat here

And for the Germanic people you can use Old English. Many sources available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinan View Post
    Maybe you can have a look over at Invasio Barbarorum's soundmod for inspiration and help? (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ndMod-Released!)

Also, I think it'd be good if you limited yourself to fewer languages. For example, Scandinavian and Germanic can be one voice (Scandinavian is actually a branch of Germanic); Huns and Sarmatians the same voice (Irano-Turkic steppe melting pot); Saharan and Arab together (both Semitic). You could give Armenia and/or Kartli Persian (they were both mostly under Sassanid suzerainty). Maybe even merge Alan and Persian... And then add in Celtic!

The result won't be the most historically correct ever. But it will still be good enough, and way less effort.

It's about two / three hundred years after the time-frame, but there's a vast amount of Old English to use as a model. Besides that, there's of course the 4th century translation of the new testament into... Gothic!
    Warş şan in dagans jainans, urrann gagrefts fram kaisara Agustau, gameljan allana midjungard (Luke 2.1; when in those days, when there came from Caesar Augustus a decree that all people in the world should be counted)
    Nice point...

Well.. we are keeping Armenian and Kartvelian, because we are confident we Will find people knowing these languages. Armenian is 100 % confirmed, we have a chap here that knows Armenian - and it is a rich language with many known examples from antiquity.

As for Gothic - thanx for posting that, we definetly are going to include Gothic... maybe we will use Scandinavian-Germanic-Old English for the factions like Franks and Saxons.

Hunnic will be based on Mongolian,
    and Sarmatian/Alan will be a standalone and a completely different story... as it is an Iranian language, we could use Persian for the Alans, but probably better if we base it on modern Ossetian - perhaps adding some middle Persian words.

Celtic? Hell yeah! Any speakers of Celtic?

I think that the the eastern romans should not use the word "ainte". It is a turkish word
    I thougth it was a Greek word adopted by Turks?
    then we are probably have to use some other short energetic Word for the Eastern Romans' advance.

mester's Avatar Tiro

I haven't seen yet any byzantine texts but shouldn't have the eastern romans been using also latin words? Especially during the period in which the game is set which is early. I mean that because many of them may had roman ancestors there should have been a dialect of ancient greek with latin influences. They may used some latin words or expressions. Probably I'm making things too complicated.
    Last edited by mester; March 12, 2015 at 01:59 PM.
    ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

Quote Originally Posted by mester View Post
    I haven't seen yet any byzantine texts but shouldn't have the eastern romans been using also latin words? Especially during the period in which the game is set which is early. I mean that because many of them may had roman ancestors there should have been a dialect of ancient greek with latin influences. They may used some latin words or expressions. Probably I'm making things too complicated.
    You are not bro, that's exactly what we are going to see...

I already explained some of it:

regarding the language in ERE:
    Language in all eastern provinces of the Roman state since even before the Empire was Greek, and Greek was also the official language, so effectively almost everyone in the ERE in 395 spoke Greek, including the Emperor, and including the army. Only ones speaking Latin were Roman settlers (today's Vlachs and Aromanians), the dignitati (army officials), and the Emperor, all of whom spoke more Greek than Latin in everyday life. Latin was used more widely though in the Danube Limes region.

- so we are going to hear Greek, but also Latin words/sentences/single orders from time to time playing as ERE.

Tighes_Hood's Avatar Libertus

Will this be open to anyone to use its resources? Is it possible to port it over to the older games?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast