Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this worth buying?

Default Re: Is this worth buying?

You clearly went into this too pessimistic: already expecting only a mod can save this game before buying it. Just because a mod is popular doesn't mean it will make the game more to your liking. Since you've already bought the game, why not give it a chance and play something fresh like Massilia. Just ignore the politics and diplomacy. Just do what you do in Total War games. Me I just blitz.

Given the limited development time for Rome 2, they could have easily made an amazing game if they just had everything from RTW with the updated and more realistic factions. Instead they went for a whole new experience, clearly with way too little time for their ambitions, and you won't know if you'll like it until you've tried it. Being the Rome 2 section on a Total War forum, you should expect your question to be answered with a bias. Someone even posted here the game was not worth it to him, but others who think the same simply wouldn't be in here to see your thread.

The game was twice free to play for a weekend and will probably be again yearly. I would recommend anyone else still on the fence to wait until you've really played the game.
    Last edited by Ngazi; March 15, 2015 at 12:35 AM.

The mods give Emperor Edition the bang for it's buck.
    However it is at your own caution to wait for the DLC'S to be cheap before buying on hand. Since the dlc's do dig into your pockets.
    However, once you use the mods, you can't play Online Co-op Campaign with people, unless they or you have the same mods togeother.

Rather than just rushing into using an overhaul mod perhaps a play through with vanilla first and then see what you need in the way of mods. Currently it
    could mean you have an issue with perhaps with DEI?

Like I said before Rome 2 is as immersive as Empire. Never used Darth mod on Empire so I can't compare but that game sure does benefit from being modded.

Senator

It's all personal bias. I f.e. never liked playing S2TW because of the restricted setting, the stupid hooks, the boring units and so on but many think it's the best of the TW titles. It's a pity that the TS bought R2TW and does not like it. I really ask myself why ATW is allegedly so much better than R2TW when I read at the same time of some weird campaign AI behaviour in ATW never seen in R2TW that would kill all immersion for me. I only played custom battles in ATW so far and I don't see much difference to R2TW. Vanilla combat is stupid in both games, with mods it's ok in both games.

So for me R2TW is worth buying now, if you prefer the timeframe and the greater unit diversity. BTW arguments also used in this thread like "it sucks because it sucks" are not that helpful.
    Last edited by geala; March 18, 2015 at 06:00 PM.

Yes Rome 2 feels empty, Atilla has CAI issues and the time period is depressing, shogun 2 offers no connection for me to the area. I am back playing empire with Darthmod and waiting for the Ancient Empires mod for Atilla

Icon5 Rome II Emperors Edition: Is it worth buying now?

Hello everyone! how is your day going so far? Anyway I have spent countless hours playing Shogun 2 Total War. I want to play Rome II as it is set in one of my favorite times in history. What I would like to know is it worth buying the Emperors Edition? I've heard both good and bad about the game. Does the good outweigh the bad? Could I play it while ignoring the bad? Or is it that upsetting and unbearable? Please tell me in detail how are the graphics, AI, and etc compared to Shogun 2. I just want to get honest feedback and advise as I do not want to spend money on something that I might regret.

=ANTiKES='s Avatar Miles

Default Re: Rome II Emperors Edition: Is it worth buying now?

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedByFury View Post
    Hello everyone! how is your day going so far? Anyway I have spent countless hours playing Shogun 2 Total War. I want to play Rome II as it is set in one of my favorite times in history. What I would like to know is it worth buying the Emperors Edition? I've heard both good and bad about the game. Does the good outweigh the bad? Could I play it while ignoring the bad? Or is it that upsetting and unbearable? Please tell me in detail how are the graphics, AI, and etc compared to Shogun 2. I just want to get honest feedback and advise as I do not want to spend money on something that I might regret.

antialiasing is very bad & ai is only challenging for noobs. Bugs are not game-breaking anymore except for naval combat which is still very buggy. BEsides naval combat 3/4 of the bugs are mostly inconveniences rather than game-breaking. You do notice that the TW series becomes more and more like one of those AAA titles like call of duty or assassin's creed. Rome2 is not all that bad anymore but I wouldn't pay more than 20$ with all DLC...

Default Re: Rome II Emperors Edition: Is it worth buying now?

I see so Shogun 2 graphics are better. So I guess I should wait for a huge sale for Rome II with all the DLC's. Tell me does mods improve the game play so far? like graphics and ai? for example the radious mod? which I heard was pretty good.

Semisalis

Yes,there are a number of mods that improve graphics (enhanced particles, pdguru's legal weed, better water, GEM) plus lots of new units and textures
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

Could you recommend the best of the mods that I need to get? I will wait to buy for Rome II until it has a huge sale. By then I hope CA comes back to improve Rome II. I hear they left it incomplete and that players are pissed off.

=ANTiKES='s Avatar Miles

Could you recommend the best of the mods that I need to get? I will wait to buy for Rome II until it has a huge sale. By then I hope CA comes back to improve Rome II. I hear they left it incomplete and that players are pissed off.
    HOSTED MOD FORUM:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Modifications

MOD FORUM:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Modifications

Divide et Impera:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nk-1-04a-Feb-7

Radious:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ted-25-1-2015)

ToonTotalWar's Rome 2 All In One Mod:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ated-23-3-2015

Hey =ANTiKES= thanks for everything man. I did research and it looks like ToonTotalWar's Mod is the best among them all. I've read that there are problems pertaining to the Divide et Impera and Radious mods with bugs but with Toon there are none. Oh btw, I've seen you all over total war forums. It makes me wonder how many hours a day do you spend on this forum? lol

=ANTiKES='s Avatar Miles

Hey =ANTiKES= thanks for everything man. I did research and it looks like ToonTotalWar's Mod is the best among them all. I've read that there are problems pertaining to the Divide et Impera and Radious mods with bugs but with Toon there are none. Oh btw, I've seen you all over total war forums. It makes me wonder how many hours a day do you spend on this forum? lol
    no biggie, glad I could help! And it's actually not that much, really

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12