Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] - AE User Interface & 2D Artwork - NEW Official AE Signatures

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Default Re: [PREVIEW] - AE User Interface for Attila - Nomadic UI + Roman Unit Card Update 14/06/15

Not to be disrespectful but I didn't like the Nomadic one at all :/

Default Re: [PREVIEW] - AE User Interface for Attila - Nomadic UI + Roman Unit Card Update 14/06/15

UI is never going to please everyone, but I honestly think that's UMC's best work. It's the most intricate (the beautiful HUD), the colors match the Scythians/Sarmatians to the letter, it all blends in nicely.

It's always better if there's specific I didn't like x or y, at the least. Then there's something to have a discussion on. But I don't see the issue here.

Excellent work, although when will you guys convert the Sassanid Empire into Parthia
    This mod isn't converting factions, but either way, Parthia is already in the campaign. It's family tree is even posted in another thread. And they'll have their own units and obviously cataphracts.
    Last edited by ABH2; June 14, 2015 at 09:51 PM.

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    Not to be disrespectful but I didn't like the Nomadic one at all :/
    No disrespect taken man. Thanks for your honesty. Just my interpretation of historic research. I will say each UI creation got tougher as I progressed. Nomadic culture is certainly a tough one to research when it comes to cosmetics. This is an open forum so feel free to suggest anything that could improve. I could use the help improving it.

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    UI is never going to please everyone, but I honestly think that's UMC's best work. It's the most intricate (the beautiful HUD), the colors match the Scythians/Sarmatians to the letter, it all blends in nicely.

It's always better if there's specific I didn't like x or y, at the least. Then there's something to have a discussion on. But I don't see the issue here.
    It's not that easy to say should be like this or that

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    No disrespect taken man. Thanks for your honesty. Just my interpretation of historic research. I will say each UI creation got tougher as I progressed. Nomadic culture is certainly a tough one to research when it comes to cosmetics. This is an open forum so feel free to suggest anything that could improve. I could use the help improving it.
    Hmm, historical stuff, ok

Well I'd like the color similar to vanilla UI's for Nomadic ppl (some dark gray it is?)
    Also Radious mod has a good Nomadic UI if they would let you to use it for the project (not the exact same)

I couldn't help but notice the use of the purple color for the punic UI, it's a fact many people tie Carthage with the the murex dye and the color purple (as in "violet") but as far as i know, the historical "purple" was a deep reddish hue, similar to crimson or bordeaux. So while it makes them unique, i am not enthousiastic about this choice.

Similarly the elephant was used on carthaginian coins (in spain and italy) but the palm tree and/or the horse would be a more "carthaginian" "coat of arms" imho.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    It's not that easy to say should be like this or that

Hmm, historical stuff, ok

Well I'd like the color similar to vanilla UI's for Nomadic ppl (some dark gray it is?)
    Also Radious mod has a good Nomadic UI if they would let you to use it for the project (not the exact same)
    Thanks for the response. We will not be using other mods work in this one. Ill certainly take into account some ideas although

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    I couldn't help but notice the use of the purple color for the punic UI, it's a fact many people tie Carthage with the the murex dye and the color purple (as in "violet") but as far as i know, the historical "purple" was a deep reddish hue, similar to crimson or bordeaux. So while it makes them unique, i am not enthousiastic about this choice.

Similarly the elephant was used on carthaginian coins (in spain and italy) but the palm tree and/or the horse would be a more "carthaginian" "coat of arms" imho.
    Interesting about the coin. I was not aware of that, thanks!

Update to the front page at the top with added message icons. Still a WIP, and subject to change based upon mod direction. Went old school with these. I am sure some will recognize quite a few!

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [PREVIEW] - AE User Interface - Message Icons Addition 28/06/15

Wow, love the Roman UIs, this is coming good!!

Looks goods.

But i would say some of the backgrounds are too "busy" and light.

Take the Roman Campaign screenshot for example.
    Where it shows the date, income and food etc. The background is too busy with the multiple colours and light, which makes it difficult to read the text compared to the dark background the default Attila UI has which makes it far easier to read the text.

Same with the Roman diplomacy screen where the background makes it harder to read the Dominion and Control text compared to the default darker Attila background.

Also take the Roman battlemap screens, the top where the Timer text is, and the map area where the pause, fast and faster buttons are.....the background is again too light and makes it difficult to read compared to the default dark colours Attila uses here.

Just some small feedback which could help. Honestly, i could live with the default Attila background colours as they work perfectly.

I personally vastly prefer the stylized unit and building cards from Rome 2, but thats just me.

But i am really looking forward to this mod.
    Last edited by Siven; June 30, 2015 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siven View Post
    Looks goods.

But i would say some of the backgrounds are too "busy" and light.

Take the Roman Campaign screenshot for example.
    Where it shows the date, income and food etc. The background is too busy with the multiple colours and light, which makes it difficult to read the text compared to the dark background the default Attila UI has which makes it far easier to read the text.

Same with the Roman diplomacy screen where the background makes it harder to read the Dominion and Control text compared to the default darker Attila background.

Also take the Roman battlemap screens, the top where the Timer text is, and the map area where the pause, fast and faster buttons are.....the background is again too light and makes it difficult to read compared to the default dark colours Attila uses here.

Just some small feedback which could help. Honestly, i could live with the default Attila background colours as they work perfectly.

I personally vastly prefer the stylized unit and building cards from Rome 2, but thats just me.

But i am really looking forward to this mod.
    I see where you are coming from. Thanks for the heads up. Displaying readable text is challenging what we want to do visually, because of certain parameters that are in place when it comes to modding current TW games. I will look into it. Thanks again.
    Last edited by UMCenturion; June 30, 2015 at 06:16 PM.

I'm not a fan of the purple on the Greek Region Box. I understand Purple was an important colour, but the 3rd colour mixed in is pretty garish, especially as it's matching against the really nice blue/green of the Province Box. It clashes pretty horribly with the pink as well. Purple only really goes well on a Two Tone, for a white and black. Alternatively, loweing the contrast and the Saturation of it might improve it personally. I like the design, but it's just too busy I think for something that's meant to be a necessity, but inconspicuous for the rest of the gameplay. Make it pretty, sure, but not so it draws the eyes away from arguably the nicest campaign map I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Horus View Post
    I'm not a fan of the purple on the Greek Region Box. I understand Purple was an important colour, but the 3rd colour mixed in is pretty garish, especially as it's matching against the really nice blue/green of the Province Box. It clashes pretty horribly with the pink as well. Purple only really goes well on a Two Tone, for a white and black. Alternatively, loweing the contrast and the Saturation of it might improve it personally. I like the design, but it's just too busy I think for something that's meant to be a necessity, but inconspicuous for the rest of the gameplay. Make it pretty, sure, but not so it draws the eyes away from arguably the nicest campaign map I've seen.

All the province boxes will be gone. No longer in there. I will update with pictures shortly.

I got a small suggestion for the UI

1# Color the white bread/money/ ect ect icons because with some UI styles you can't really see it that great when its white and everything else is colored so why CA did not do everything i dont understand "or give it all a color or keep it all white not 90%10".

2#Something like he did with seasons, http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...te-19-04-2015)

3# A few different writing styles for Culture,s like: barbarians/Romans/Greeks/Eastern.

Oh and if possible change the starting names of armys/fleets ect to realistic names because those names CA choice are a joke!.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Really love it so far but with a few more tweaks it will be awesome and it sould be awesome because most of the time the players are looking at the campaign UI.
    Last edited by Sir_Pee_Alot; July 13, 2015 at 08:36 PM.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Pee_Alot View Post
    I got a small suggestion for the UI

1# Color the white bread/money/ ect ect icons because with some UI styles you can't really see it that great when its white and everything else is colored so why CA did not do everything i dont understand "or give it all a color or keep it all white not 90%10".

2#Something like he did with seasons, http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...te-19-04-2015)

3# A few different writing styles for Culture,s like: barbarians/Romans/Greeks/Eastern.

Oh and if possible change the starting names of armys/fleets ect to realistic names because those names CA choice are a joke!.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Really love it so far but with a few more tweaks it will be awesome and it sould be awesome because most of the time the players are looking at the campaign UI.
    Thank you for the feedback. I have spoken to Xxclon a few times and we exchanged ideas. In regards to your suggestions:

1. Good suggestions, I will be working on recoloring those, possibly culture specific as much as possible.
    2. Although, he had a great idea, and did well in it, that is just not my style. Instead of season specific, the season wheel will be culture specific. However, submods are welcomed, and season wheel is easily replaced.
    3. I believe you mean the font of the text? If, so its not technically apart of the UI. I do not have too much knowledge on this, but I believe their are 4 fonts in the entire game we can use. We can change all those fonts if we would like, but the limit is four total, and cannot be faction specific...would be amazing if possible. I think the font could really bring that extra something to all cultures.
    4. Starting names - certainly!

I think the Germanic UI looks the best. You say that the Province names will no longer be displayed? If thats the case I prefer the darker orange of the Province box than the light orange on the city names of the Nomads. Given the colors of your helmet feathers, I imagine UM is university of Miami?

There are ways to change the font in game, but it's universal. There's no way to do culture specific fonts, or different font colors for UI's. The colors cannot be changed at all except for certain localizations like effects where red/green/yellow can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    I think the Germanic UI looks the best. You say that the Province names will no longer be displayed? If thats the case I prefer the darker orange of the Province box than the light orange on the city names of the Nomads. Given the colors of your helmet feathers, I imagine UM is university of Miami?
    thanks! I personally like it as well. I must have mistunderstood the province boxes, it was late that night. The ones that are filled with that purple and have text in them are staying. I may recolor them to coordinate better in the future.

And yes UM is U of Miami. nice recognition

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

That huge faction selection unit is just too freakin' awesome!!! I remember Rome 2 with a similar interface... Of course... "it's going (was meant) to look much, much better!" Damn fools... Good thing you modders can do better!

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    That huge faction selection unit is just too freakin' awesome!!! I remember Rome 2 with a similar interface... Of course... "it's going (was meant) to look much, much better!" Damn fools... Good thing you modders can do better!
    What pic?