Thread: Strategic settlements and trading posts.

Default Strategic settlements and trading posts.

One thing that would be worth implementing in the mod is the presence of settlements whose importance change in function who owns it.

A few that comes to me in mind is: Zanzibar, Macau, Nagasaki, Malacca, Oman for example.

Usually in TW games, more provinces you own, better. But with strategic settlements, it would be slightly different.

For example, Zanzibar is an island in the Tanzianian coast in Africa. It flourished thanks to the commerce between Arab and Portuguese traders with Africans.
    If a non-subsaharian factions holds the settlement, this faction should get an important commercial reward. They could even get access to local mercenary units.
    The foreign presence could have positive effects on the adjacent province Dar-Es-Salaam, if owned by an African faction.
    On the other hand if an African faction captures Zanzibar, then the settlement would be just a piece of land among others. We can even imagine African precense beeing negative for Dar-Es-Salaam.

Oman on the other hand was an important settlement because it helped protecting commerce from the west to India. Any faction controling it would get a commercial reward and a naval military bonus for exmaple.

How to do that ? It’s just an idea, but I thought we can script that way. Here is example for Macau.
    If Macau settlement owner is (Portugal, Dutch, Turks, etc...)
    And if Guangzhou settlement owner is (China, Korea, Japan)
    Create in Macau building : Trading post
    Create in Guanzhou building : Macau foreign presence

Building details
    Trading post : Commerce +x, money +z per turn

Macau foreign occupation : Commerce + x, money + z, can recruit African Slave warrior, province stability -2, wakou pirary -2, catholic conversion +1

If Macau settlement owner is not (Portugal, Dutch, Turks, etc...)
    Or if Guangzhou settlement owner is not (China, Korea, Japan)
    Destroy in Macau building : Trading post
    Destroy in Guanzhou building : Macau foreign presence

This was just an example, but we can code very personal impact for each strategic settlement.

If you are playing Ming for example, you would consider leaving Macau to the foreigners, because it would be more beneficial (less pirates, more money, etc.). Or you may decide to conquer it because it causes religious problems.

We will script foreigner arrival, but I wonder if we can make this settlement attractive or unattractive to AI depending on the faction and settlement.

So what do you think guys ?

Treaper's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Strategic settlements and trading posts.

It looks interesting, but I don't think we could have that unique settlement for each faction. So some of factions will be in advantage against others.

Hmmm... I think we could imagine 3 types of bonus :
    Commercial colonialism bonus : For factions such as Portugal, Dutch, Ming, Denmark and Perse. When they take a strategic settlement they build a trading post and get an economic bonus and maybe few mercenary units.
    Military colonialism bonus : For factions such as Spain, Ottomans, England, France. When tey take a strategic settlement they get little trading bonus, but more mercenary units.

For example if we compare two powers of this age Portugal and Spain.
    Spain had a different strategy compared to Portugal.
    Spain would come, seek mercenaries and conquer the whole ennemi and controle the whole territory and assimilate.
    While Portugal usually conquered only strategic points and build forts and control the commerce (as it happened in African and Middle-East). They sometimes asked permission to establish a base (like with China and Japan). And only sometimes they annexed largers regions (Oman, Malacca, Sri Lanka).

PS: In that case, only commercial colonialism would give neighbor natives a bonus.
    Last edited by falcom4ever; March 06, 2015 at 03:30 AM.

Maybe we can make an “policy” building that have different kind of bonus
    the bonus can be defined by event and hidden resource and religion
    For example,with westernization event ,some faction can have new gunpowder units or weapon upgrade but lower law(I think most of buildings should have both good and bad bonus so you had to choose one path)
    With trading center resource,some province's maket will have more trade bonus
    I've tried something like that in shaoding
    we can have 64 hidden resource,by some arrangement,we can make every province different(the city that appear in world map must be important enough)
    hidden resource can be also coporate with faction so we can make faction special bonus,(or make it in some other buildings)

Maybe we can make an “policy” building that have different kind of bonus
    the bonus can be defined by event and hidden resource and religion
    For example,with westernization event ,some faction can have new gunpowder units or weapon upgrade but lower law(I think most of buildings should have both good and bad bonus so you had to choose one path)
    With trading center resource,some province's maket will have more trade bonus
    I've tried something like that in shaoding
    we can have 64 hidden resource,by some arrangement,we can make every province different(the city that appear in world map must be important enough)
    hidden resource can be also coporate with faction so we can make faction special bonus,(or make it in some other buildings)