Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The New 7 Wonder of the World

Sephynos's Avatar Semisalis

Default The New 7 Wonder of the World

It seems like the new 7 wonders of the world will be announce on 07.07.2007. You can vote to on:

New7wonders.com 07.07.07

I've chose those:

1. Pyramids of Giza (2600 - 2500 B.C), Egypt: The Pyramids of Giza, the oldest and only Ancient Wonder still standing, are testimony to perfection in art and design, never subsequently achieved. They were built by planners and engineers purely to serve their earthy rulers - who were also their gods.

2. Acropolis (450 - 330 B.C.) Athens, Greece: Built atop what is known as the “Sacred Rock” of Athens, the Acropolis was to radiate power and protection for its citizens. The temples of the Acropolis have become the some of most famous architectural landmarks of ancient and modern history. Today, the Parthenon in particular is an international symbol of Greek civilization.

3. The Pyramid at Chichén Itzá (before 800 A.D.) Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico: Chichén Itzá, the most famous Mayan temple city, served as the political and economic center of the Mayan civilization. Its various structures - the pyramid of Kukulkan, the Temple of Chac Mool, the Hall of the Thousand Pillars, and the Playing Field of the Prisoners – can still be seen today and are demonstrative of an extraordinary commitment to architectural space and composition. The pyramid itself was the last, and arguably the greatest, of all Mayan temples.

4. Stonehenge (3000 B.C. - 1600 B.C.) Amesbury, United Kingdom: Construction of Stonehenge took place between ca. 3000 and 1600 B.C. With each stone weighing around 50 tons, it is regarded as a truly amazing feat of engineering. Although it is not clear who built the monument, nor for what purpose, it has been speculated that it was either a temple dedicated to the worship of ancient earth deities, an astronomical observatory or a sacred burial site.

5. Taj Mahal (1630 A.D.) Agra, India: This immense mausoleum was built on the orders of Shah Jahan, the fifth Muslim Mogul emperor, to honor the memory of his beloved late wife. Built out of white marble and standing in formally laid-out walled gardens, the Taj Mahal is regarded as the most perfect jewel of Muslim art in India. The emperor was consequently jailed and, it is said, could then only see the Taj Mahal out of his small cell window.

6. Christ Redeemer (1931) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: This statue of Jesus stands some 38 meters tall, atop the Corcovado mountain overlooking Rio de Janeiro. Designed by Brazilian Heitor da Silva Costa and created by French sculptor Paul Landowski, it is one of the world’s best-known monuments. The statue took five years to construct and was inaugurated on October 12, 1931. It has become a symbol of the city and of the warmth of the Brazilian people, who receive visitors with open arms.

7. Angkor (12th century) Cambodia: Angkor is the most important monument of the south-east Asian Khmer Empire and the world’s largest sacred temple. Built during the reign of King Suryavaman, at the beginning of the 12th century, Angkor is noted for its intricate ornamentation and striking beauty. With its water moats, concentric walls and magnificent temple mountain in the center, Angkor Wat symbolizes the Hindu cosmos, with its oceans at the periphery and the Meru mountain at the center of its universe.

Which one will you guys choose?!!
    Last edited by Sephynos; November 12, 2006 at 10:46 AM.
    I believe that to meet the challenges of our times, human beings will have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. Each of us must learn to work not just for oneself, one's own family or nation, but for the benefit of all humankind. Universal responsibility is the key to human survival. It is the best foundation for world peace.

what about the great wall of china or other famous buildings??

umm, colosos is gone in rhode, temple of zeus is gone, what does greece have today that is a wonder??
    Last edited by Perikles; March 16, 2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: dp
    Live a good healthy life with no regrets.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Default Re: The New 7 Wonder of the World

Hmmm those gigantic Hindu temples built by the Chola empire in South India aren't on there, neither is the empire state building.(WTC would've been an obvious choice had it not.....well ya know.) Really, besides the Eiffil Tower, Statue of liberty, and the Taj Mahal, I don't consider most of those buildings as "new" world wonders but wonders of the "rest" of the ancient world.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

I think it's supposed to be a new list of ancient wonders. I mean, some of the orginals wonders were already ancient when the first list was made(the pyramids were at least I think)
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Honestly i have no idea why would they want to change te list, so they are no longer around, just make a different list of current wonders. It seems like a shame that they want to erase them as wonders. Unless i am mistaken and that is what they are doing? -Leon

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

why isn't borobudur an option?

voted:

Angkor, Great Wall, Hagia Sophia, Pyramids of Giza, Stonehenge, Taj Mahal, Timbuktu
    Last edited by sabaku_no_gaara; November 15, 2006 at 09:15 PM.

-Conan the Barbarian-'s Avatar Vicarius

what about that giant sleeping buhdda? or the other enormous buddha statues?
    It has been surmised, that perhaps, my lord had become like a wild animal that had been kept too long. Perhaps, but whatever... freedom... so long an unremembered dream, was his.
    The children of Doom...Doom's children. They told my lord the way to the mountain of power. They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth...HA!! time enough for the earth in the grave.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Honestly, whats so great about Stonehenge? There are plenty more impressive monuments. Osaka Castle should be on there, well admittedly it's all but gone, but it was around 200 years ago.

Also what about that gigantic castle the Dalai Lama lives in?
    Team Member <3

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

Stonehenge was built with primitive tools and actual stones were brought most likely from Wales using sea routes and ropes to drag stones to its current place. Stonehenge is something that can be seen as a wonder of that time with the resources and men power available around 2500 B.C - 2000 B.C.
    Last edited by Ragabash; November 17, 2006 at 06:33 PM.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

Stone Henge is impressive but so is Avebury not so far from it. Both were partially rebuilt by well-meaning antiquarians but I think its all the more impressive that a Stone Age people, not a grand civilisation, dragged 60 tonne sarson stones and erected them with sophisticated engineering techniques.

However, my vote would be the Pyramids, as they are the easily the most recognisable feat of bizzarrely-shaped monuments. I mean a Pyramid why?

But it doesn't have to be only 7 either. There was 7 back then, but there can be more now.
    I sin for the good of humankind
    "I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength."
    -Nietzsche
    Truth is not a law, a democracy, a book or a norm not even a constitution. Nor can it be read in the stars.

As they are talking about the 7 wonders of the world, they are missing a lot of stuff. Where in the world did they put the engineering wonders of the modern world? Things like the Hoover dam or the three gorge dam.

I voted for the Eiffel Tower, Hagia Sophia, and the Kremlin.
    The first is the only wonder of industrial engineering, if not the best example of it, that they put on there.
    The Kremlin is on there for obvious reasons and the Hagia Sophia because I like Byzantine architecture.
    The empire state building should've been an option instead of the Sydney Opera House.

Hey,nobody for the Coliseum of ROMA??
    Наиболее полное истребитель в мире

Umm, Easter Island hands down has to be on there. I mean, for obvious reasons...

Hagia Sophia, Alhambra, Kremlin and Red Square, Angkor Wat, Taj Mahal, and maybe either Petra or Timbuktu or Machu Pichu as the last of the seventh.

The others just don't really measure on the same "wonder" scale...
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Quote Originally Posted by RusskiSoldat View Post
    I voted for the Eiffel Tower, Hagia Sophia, and the Kremlin.
    The first is the only wonder of industrial engineering, if not the best example of it, that they put on there.
    The Kremlin is on there for obvious reasons and the Hagia Sophia because I like Byzantine architecture.
    The empire state building should've been an option instead of the Sydney Opera House.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is so special about the empire state building?

It's tall, but tallness doesn't seem like a wonderous virtue to me.

I don't know.
    I see it every day and the art deco style combined with a show of modern economic might is inspiring.

megaflus's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by A$TAR-519 View Post
    umm, colosos is gone in rhode, temple of zeus is gone, what does greece have today that is a wonder??
    there is acropolis in athens

Anybody who has been on the Great Wall and seen it stretch from horizon to horizon would know why it should be a Wonder of the World...

DimondLight's Avatar Senator

IMO the Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower are too recent to be wonders of the world....I mean the late 19th century had a more advanced way of building, so structures like the Pyramids or Taj Mahal; are more impressive, to me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast