Thread: Steamos - worth to install ?

Edelfred's Avatar Semisalis

Default Steamos - worth to install ?

There is a new Operative System made by Steam .
    It is based on Linux and designed to let you play Steam game on their own OS .

What do you think .
    Questions:
    1. Will Stemos overwrite my Win 8.1 ?
    2 . I have free MMO
    Rift,
    Age of conan
    Star Wars Old Republic
    and games from GOG will they be able to run on Steamos ?
    3. What is Steamos in simplified non-computer geek language ?
    Har du inte levt mitt liv
    Vet du ingenting
    Laglöst Land

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Default Re: Steamos - worth to install ?

It's still beta so I wouldn't bother as yet. It won't give you anything over windows but less games

I wonder how will it operate though ?

P.S.
    I see they ,as usual, make deals with Nvidia , like ATI gamers are not the full half of gamers .
    Anywhere they in SteamOs are based on Linux meaning Microsoft's decline in my opinon .
    The users who only go for the net browsing and no gaming can keep their computers and OS for years without need to re-install parts or buy them anew . Anywhere they in StemOS promise visual improvements meaning the gamers with mid-range computers can enjoy playing demanding games
    using rather good settings .
    Last edited by Edelfred; March 05, 2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: new info
    Vet du ingenting
    Laglöst Land

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edelfred View Post
    1. Will Stemos overwrite my Win 8.1 ?
    AFAIK Win 8 is not "Linux friendly", if you were thinking about having both systems installed.

Like Stildawn have said, It is still a beta (unstable and with bugs), and does not offer "a better steam", just a minimal OS with Steam.

Don't get me wrong, it has potential, and I applaud them for striking out in such away.

But its not there yet, and unless your a techy guy who wants to do free testing etc, I wouldn't bother as yet. Last time I checked it didn't offer anything over Windows at all.

They are going to start selling computers called Steam machines in November 15, there are around 15 different ones so far , some are like consoles and some are like towers .
    It will be the time when Steamos will end being beta.
    Vet du ingenting
    Laglöst Land

Yeah I would love those steam machines to succeed, would love to wrestle back the gaming market towards PC a bit more.

This is time to decide what to invest into .
    I mean I thought I would , as usual ,to buy new rig with pre-intalled Windows 10 in few monthes .
    But since I don't use computers for anything then gaming I might better get that Steam machine and be done with windows
    Vet du ingenting
    Laglöst Land

Yeah the catch is that more than half the PC games in the world wont work though.

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

SteamOS worth the effort?

In one word: no. It provides no real benefit over Windows, at least not yet. If they do manage to optimize it enough in the future this might change. But currently at least, no.

What those Windows providing benefits can be , I wonder ?
    Skype Outlook express - I can keep them on the current laptop with 8.1 , but buying new laptop with Windows 10 means again to go on with Microsoft .
    Better buy Steamos machine in November and run Steamos .
    Games running or not on Steamos . I can run older games on the laptop , majority of the games are on Steam anywhere ,few are from GOG .
    That leaves MMORPG those of interest to me I have already installed and there are MMORPG on Steam possibly being refitted for Steamos .
    The morale is keep old rig to handle what Steamos can not and get steamos for newer things . Micrrosoft has to work better for their money with fewer customers and someone to compete with .
    Vet du ingenting
    Laglöst Land

I suggest you try SteamOS first. You can download VirtualBox and the SteamOS disk image to try it out and get a feel for it.

I remember reading an article that Valve managed to get a better performance for games in linux, but the difference was rather small when compared to Windows. If Valve manages to make the performance even better than it is in Windows, then it will be worth. But for now I suggest you wait, you'd be restricted to only a few games especially Valve games. Seems EA and Ubisoft aren't interested in linux, and why should they be? At the moment it's a risk and I believe it costs money to make games linux based, and they do not like to spend money for an OS that has few people using it.
    If Valve manages to make SteamOS 2x better in gaming and having more people using it then they succeeded, but as people have said it still has/might not happen.

You can get the cheapest version of the Windows OS as long as its 7 or 8 since Microsoft is allowing users to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Later on you can install SteamOS if you feel it is better for gaming.

Also, all of the games you mentioned will not be able to be played on SteamOS
    Last edited by Owlkur; March 17, 2015 at 04:02 PM.