Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid Megathread - Diamond Dogs and FOXHOUND

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: Metal Gear Solid Megathread - Diamond Dogs and FOXHOUND

Running on a PS4, dat 60 FPS
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Downloading now via Steam, after work time to do some blowing up. I was not a fan of MGS 4, but loved Snake eater, hopefully this one will turn out great...

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I heard the disc version only comes with a steam installer, that's literally insane. Forcing people to download a 30 gigabyte game when they thought they could install from the disc...Konami really takes the prize.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I bought X-Com back in the day as physical copy, same case, use Steam to install. So it isn't just Konami thing, but yes, it makes no-sense. Would had loved a GoG release with this one, but what can you do.

If you have a legitimate disc version with all the basic data on the disc, then you can at least force Steam to install those off the disc and only add the updates later. With this silly disc version, that obviously doesn't work.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    I heard the disc version only comes with a steam installer, that's literally insane. Forcing people to download a 30 gigabyte game when they thought they could install from the disc...Konami really takes the prize.
    A lot of Steam games which are disks either default to making you download it, or just have the Steam installer. Sad fact of reality - I faced it pretty harshly when I got Napoleon: Total War. My first Steam game; wanted me to download 15 gigs (and on the internet I had at the time, it would have been 15 days ).

The download is compressed to about 20 gigs however, so at least there's that.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Yeah, I too had to download Nappy despite having the disc version, guess I never thought about it until Konami did it It really does remove the one thing physical games have going for them though, there's literally no reason other than liking to have a box in your hands not to just go 100% digital.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Yeah, I too had to download Nappy despite having the disc version, guess I never thought about it until Konami did it It really does remove the one thing physical games have going for them though, there's literally no reason other than liking to have a box in your hands not to just go 100% digital.
    Napoleon actually had the info on the disks, which was a saving grace with that internet I had at the time. Though, the process is strange: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5357-FSQM-0382

I guess Konami just wanted to cut out the middleman or something, pretty dumb. What's worse is that the download is taking me forever, and my PS4 copy has gotten here yet (it will be today though!)
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Played for about 9 hours so far, mostly doing side operations in between the occasional main operation (story progression). This is pretty much everything I wanted in a Peacewalker 2.0. A little upset that there is no "pet" command when you're with D-Dog, but whatever. I'm mostly just happy that you can walk around Mother Base now.

Yeah, this game is actually pretty damn awesome, atleast the few first hours. Hopefully it doesn't fall flat on its face like MGS 4 did towards the end, but so far, absolutelly loving it.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I started playing the second I got home from my class today; haven't been dissapointed. Though I'm at school all day tomorrow - I'm going to be so damn distracted. Definitely my GOTY.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Been fun so far. I'm not that good at the stealth in this game yet but I think I'm learning. I always seem to get caught during extraction.

This Kojima guy sure loves himself.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Citizen

Blog Entries

Make sure you mark EVERYONE you see, it can be a godsend during extraction.

I haven't yet played the game and I play to do so but yet another time the mainstream gaming sites have been proven full of , from what I can gather from a bit more reliable critics, the side quests are incredible tedium and chore ala Ubisoft games, which makes it far from "near perfect".

Citizen

Blog Entries

You must be mixing this up with Mad Max then.

No, although I've heard Mad Max is even worse in that regard.

Apparently to many missions end up with Big Boss simply extracting somebody and putting them on that balloon.

Citizen

Blog Entries

If you break everything down to its simplest form of course it'll seem repetitive. It's far more about the journey than it is the endgame; and MGSV definitely gives you a lot of ways of getting through those individual journeys.

If someone is not willing to mix up their own playstyle, that's not the fault of the game. The game even makes a point of trying to get players to switch it up by giving enemy soldiers various pieces of equipment such as helmets and NVG's. Witcher 3 is a great example of this because I can say that a lot of the side-quests and contracts I've done come to down going to an area, using my witcher senses, examining dead body/footprint/whatever, and then fighting a monster; go back to peasant and get my reward.

what's important in that is not that the end game is fairly repetitive, but that the individual stories and way to do things are unique and interesting and keep you hooked. In TPP's case its all the different ways to take on missions and different bases and what not. In Witcher it's the fantastic writing and world building (Not to say I don't love MGS's story - one of my favorite parts of the series).

Don't take this as me knocking Witcher 3 either, I absolutely love Witcher 3 (and the other games in the series) - but it's really easy to break something down to its simplest form to attack it and then ignore the nuance that goes along with it.
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; September 03, 2015 at 01:30 AM.

That would be problem if the gameplay would be bad, but it isn't in my opinion. MAin-quests have some crazy cool stuff in them tought. I absolutelly love the gameplay, and how open it is. So damn good... I guess one could just ignore huge majority of the side activities, and just go with the story and be ok still. Bottom line, if you liked GZ, and wanted more but better, this is it.

Anyone gotten to the forward base multiplayer yet? I'm not that far yet in the story. Quite mixed opinions about that at the Steam forums. Apparently it has PvP, and not just cow-clicker, Is it any good?

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Some spoilerific questions

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I was watching Gamespot's stream of this game a few days ago, and it culminated in Big Boss fighting some blinking supersoldiers with a giant cannon. Now my question is, how much can I affect how these battles are played? Can you stealth those things 100%, or will you need to take a more direct approach where the game tells you to?

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

What weapons/loadout is everyone using? For my first run through a story mission I'll usually use the tranq pistol, silenced carbine with underslung grenade launcher, and silenced tranq sniper along with the stealth suit.

But when I'm looking to really have fun, I'll say screw all that stuff, put on my battle armor, and equip the 6 shot grenade launcher (don't know what it's called in the game, basically an M32), which is my favorite weapon in this whole game; the UMP 45 type submachine gun for close quarters; and I don't really even need a 3rd weapon but I will either equip the anti materiel rifle or a missile launcher if I know there will be tanks. I especially like the missions where I can deploy directly into the hot zone (LZ is red), I don't even bother with the gatling gun I just fire my grenades straight out of the helecopter, can usually take out half of the base before I even touch down.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince