Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid Megathread - Diamond Dogs and FOXHOUND

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Metal Gear Solid Megathread - Diamond Dogs and FOXHOUND

Parts of the OP (mainly pictures and game descriptions) originally made by Agoat and Megafan of Facepunch

Metal Gear Solid
    is a Stealth-Action game series originating on the MSX with Metal Gear. It was then followed up by Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Eight years later the series made the jump to 3D with Metal Gear Solid on the original Playstation. The series then expanded from there with Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2/HD Collection), Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2/HD Collection), Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP), Metal Gear Solid IV: Sons of Liberty (PS3), Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP/HD Collection), Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3/XB360/PC/PS4/XB1), and the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS3/XB360/PC/PS4/XB1).

Outer Heaven Uprising - 1995
    200 km north of the region of Galzburg, South Africa, lay the fortress of Outer Heaven, a fortified state that had been founded by a legendary mercenary in the late 1980s. Within 15 years, the western world had received intelligence that warned of a weapon of mass destruction that was supposedly being constructed deep within the fortress. High-tech Special Forces unit FOXHOUND, commanded by the legendary soldier Big Boss, sent their best agent, Gray Fox to infiltrate the stronghold. However, days later, contact with Gray Fox was lost, his final transmission consisting only of two words: "METAL GEAR..." With the goal of rescuing Gray Fox and uncovering the meaning of the cryptic message, rookie operative Solid Snake is sent into Outer Heaven alone.

The Zanzibar Land Disturbance - 1999

The Cold War had thawed, and it seemed nuclear proliferation would soon be a thing of the past. Despite this, all was not well in the world. A series of shocks to the oil market spurred the development of new high-tech energy sources, including fusion power. However, most vehicles still relied on oil for power. Oil reserves were at a critical low, and the world community was prepared to take drastic measures, either by drilling into sand and shale for more oil, despite the difficulty -- or moving on to renewable fuels. Such steps proved unnecessary when Czech scientist, Dr. Kio Marv, successfully bio-engineered a new species of algae, OILIX, that could produce petroleum-grade hydrocarbons with little expense and effort. Marv presented the algae to the World Energy Conference in Prague, and was on his way to a demonstration in the United States when he was kidnapped by soldiers from Zanzibar Land. NATO discovers that Zanzibar Land's leaders plan to hold the world hostage by controlling the supply of oil, and some good old-fashioned nuclear brinkmanship, courtesy of a stockpile of nukes. Solid Snake is then brought out of retirement by FOXHOUND's new commander, Roy Campbell, and is sent to Zanzibar Land to rescue Dr. Marv.

Shadow Moses Incident - 2005
    The night before the signing of the START III Accord, a nuclear weapons facility on Shadow Moses Island, off the coast of Alaska, was captured by Next-Generation Special Forces, led by members of FOXHOUND. Under the command of Liquid Snake, FOXHOUND and the NGSF formed the Sons of Big Boss, and initiated an armed revolt against the United States Government. In addition, they also held hostages on the island, including the DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and ArmsTech President Kenneth Baker, both of whom also carried the PAL override codes. Threatening the White House with a nuclear strike, the Sons of Big Boss demanded that the government hand over the remains of Big Boss, giving them a deadline of 24 hours. In addition, the Sons of Big Boss, to prove that they weren't bluffing about their capability of supplying a nuclear strike, also supplied the serial number to the U.S. Government. The Genome Soldiers of the NGSF had been subject to advanced gene therapy, involving the use of Big Boss's "soldier genes" to enhance their combat skills and senses.Big Boss's DNA was considered to be a priceless treasure to the U.S. military, and the government could not allow it fall into the wrong hands.

Manhattan Tanker Incident / Big Shell Incident - 2007~2009
    After the Shadow Moses incident, technological data on the nuclear-armed walking tank Metal Gear leaks onto the black market. Solid Snake and his allies form the anti-Metal Gear NGO "Philanthropy" and set out in pursuit of a tanker carrying a new Metal Gear prototype. But Snake falls into a trap set by former FOXHOUND member Ocelot, and is believed lost along with the tanker at the bottom of the Hudson River. Two years later, the Big Shell, an oil spill cleanup facility constructed on the bay, is taken over by terrorists led by a man claiming to be the long-lost Solid Snake. The government sends Raiden, a new recruit in the new FOXHOUND, to infiltrate the Big Shell and rescue the US President, who is held hostage inside... The underlying theme of this second entry in the series is "memes," or cultural genes.

Virtuous Mission / Operation Snake Eater - 1964
    The story shifts back in time to 1964, the height of the Cold War. Naked Snake-the man who would later become the legendary mercenary known as Big Boss-heads into Soviet territory to help the scientist Sokolov defect to the West. But the mission ends in failure due to the betrayal of Snake's mentor and mission advisor The Boss, a female soldier known as "the Mother of Special Forces." The Boss defects to the Soviet Union, taking a miniature nuclear warhead with her as a gift, which her new hosts promptly launch at a Russian research facility. Naked Snake heads once more into the Soviet Union on a mission to kill The Boss... The third MGS game tells the story of men and women who struggle to remain loyal even while their fates are at the mercy of the ever changing political "scene." Often considered the best game in the franchise, Metal Gear Solid 3 moves away from sneaking through buildings and focuses on the great outdoors. Instead of playing as Solid Snake, like in every other Metal Gear game, the game focuses on a previous villain in the series, Big Boss.

San Hieronymo Takeover - 1970
    Six years after the events of Operation Snake Eater, Naked Snake's former team, FOX, has broken their allegiance with the CIA and gone renegade. Snake himself is also targeted by the FOX unit, which sent renegade FOX unit soldiers to attack and capture him. Snake is tortured and interrogated by one of the members of FOX, Lieutenant Cunningham, who's trying to locate the whereabouts of the missing half of the Philosophers' Legacy, with the United States Government having already acquired the other half of the Legacy from the Soviet Union at the conclusion of Operation Snake Eater. Snake is imprisoned in a cell next to Roy Campbell, the sole survivor of an American Green Beret team sent in to investigate the base. Snake learns through Campbell that they're on the San Hieronymo Peninsula, the site of an abandoned Soviet missile silo in Colombia. The two escape and Snake makes his way to a communications base, where he attempts to contact his old CO, Major Zero. Instead, he is greeted by his old FOX comrades Para-Medic and Sigint, who reveal that Snake and Zero are being accused of instigating the revolt and that the only way for Snake to clear their name is to find and apprehend the leader of the rebellion, Gene. To complicate matters, Gene has also convinced most of the Russian soldiers stationed on the base to join their side by simply taking over the chain of command of a former Red Army unit, that was secretly stationed inside the Colombian territory. In order to complete his mission, Snake must persuade enemy soldiers to join his ranks.

Ocelot's Insurrection - 2014
    The world is in chaos, and the "war economy" has plunged the world into never-ending battle. This fuels the need for private military companies, the five largest of which (together rivaling the power of the entire United States Army) are owned by a single mother company, Outer Heaven, with Liquid Ocelot at the helm. Liquid Ocelot, a fusion of the consciousness of Liquid Snake and the body of Revolver Ocelot, is once again set on world domination and Solid Snake, now suffering advanced accelerated aging and under the codename of "Old Snake", is dispatched as a personal favor to Roy Campbell to assassinate him.

Peace Walker Incident - 1974
    Stories tell of a legendary solider who once waged war against the world. His name was Naked Snake, a.k.a. Big Boss, and the truth behind this legend will finally be told. The era is the 1970's . Big Boss had stationed his soldiers in Colombia, South America, where he was approached by visitors from Costa Rica, a "nation without a military." In the shadow of the Cuban Missile Crisis, as Latin America became a key to maintaining the power balance between East and West, Costa Rica had miraculously managed to maintain its peace and neutrality. However, in various regions of the country, a mysterious armed force seemed to be engaging in suspicious activities. Now, to preserve peace in this nation without a military, the soldiers move into action. In time, they would be known as the founders of "Outer Heaven."

(Also Ground Zeroes)

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 1975
    Snake is sent to a CIA Black Site on Cuba in order to rescue former member of MSF, Chico, and someone they thought they had lost forever. While that mission is ongoing, a nuclear inspection team from the UN is sent to investigate Mother Base and the MSF.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 1984
    After the fall of the Militaires Sans Frontières, Big Boss falls into a prolonged coma. The Phantom Pain takes place 9 years later when Big Boss awakes.

It will be released on September 1st, 2015 for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox 1. A PC release will follow on September 15th.

Illuminati's Bits: Oh man, I am hyped for TPP. I got Ground Zeroes on PC when it was released on Steam back in December, and was instantly hooked on the series. Picked up a copy of the Legacy Collection in January and played through the series in about 2 weeks (I had 1-4 done in 1 week, Peace Walker took a bit longer). This is honestly my favorite game series, there are so many little Easter Eggs and secrets. The story is deep and interesting, and knows when to take itself seriously, but also knows when to lighten up a bit.

If you're looking to get into the series, I highly recommend having a PS3 so you can get a copy of the Legacy Collection. And if you do, PLAY THEM IN RELEASE ORDER, NOT CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER.

This Chart helps explain it: http://i.imgur.com/Se5Zkzq.jpg (image is huge, so I linked it).
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; March 04, 2015 at 11:59 AM.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Metal Gear Solid Megathread - Diamond Dogs and FOXHOUND

This is a great general MGS synopsis. I think the only MGS game I haven't played were the first two and Portable Ops (which Kojima seems to want to try to forget as much as possible).

I think Peace Walker is my favorite MGS game, although that entry in the franchise seems to be a bit of a dark horse for people. I don't know, I just really liked training troops and building up Mother Base.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah, those are the same 3 I haven't played either. PO is sorta canon but not canon at the same time, and the first two I just haven't gotten around to playing. I don't really have a favorite, I like them all pretty much equally. Which is to say a lot!
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Yeah, those are the same 3 I haven't played either. PO is sorta canon but not canon at the same time, and the first two I just haven't gotten around to playing. I don't really have a favorite, I like them all pretty much equally. Which is to say a lot!
    If you or anyone gets the MGS HD Legacy edition for the PS3 (or heck, just the Subsistence version of MGS3), MGS3 has an option under its main menu that would allow you to play those first two games. Only reason I haven't is because I get terribly lost when trying to sneak around.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah I've got the LC, and I want to try them sometime, but first I want to finish replaying the Solid series before MGSV, and I gotta finish MGR too .

1 of september........ that too far away i guess i will replay AGAIN MGS3/4 ^__^ also been tempted to play MG:GZ but.......no...... buying demos.... NO.......NO........NOO!! ^__^ i guess will play it in a future MG collection bundle
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ataegina View Post
    1 of september........ that too far away i guess i will replay AGAIN MGS3/4 ^__^ also been tempted to play MG:GZ but.......no...... buying demos.... NO.......NO........NOO!! ^__^ i guess will play it in a future MG collection bundle
    I've put about 10 hours into GZ (despite never having player MGS before) and I'd say it's worth the asking price, especially since I didn't even finish all the missions with a good rank. I think my completion rate is like 20% or something It's only really worth it if you're the kind of person that needs to complete everything though, if you like to play through a map once and never look back again you should stay away.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    I've put about 10 hours into GZ (despite never having player MGS before) and I'd say it's worth the asking price, especially since I didn't even finish all the missions with a good rank. I think my completion rate is like 20% or something It's only really worth it if you're the kind of person that needs to complete everything though, if you like to play through a map once and never look back again you should stay away.
    GZ was your first game, and you weren't confused at all by what was going on? That's like being given the last 100 pages of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy and nothing more.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    GZ was your first game, and you weren't confused at all by what was going on? That's like being given the last 100 pages of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy and nothing more.
    Well, I obviously didn't really recognize any of the people or references, but it I got the general "Snake leads mercenary army" plot stuff. If I get around to playing MGS 5 I'm sure I'll pick more up as I go along
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Citizen

Blog Entries

It was my first as well. I didn't know much about the MGS series apart from who Solid Snake was and the fact he defeated some Metal Gears, as I used to play a lot of Super Smash Bros Brawl. Nintendo Power writers also mentioned the series a lot, so when I saw GZ got released on Steam I decided to go ahead and jump into the series. Was fairly confused about Paz and Chico and Chiper and Huey and Motherbase and all that jazz. Loved it though, and got involved in the MGS thread on another forum I visit.

About a month later I ordered a copy of the Legacy collection and played through them in like 2 weeks (I finished MGS1 in nearly one sitting ). Everything going on in GZ makes a lot more sense now, and it made me even more hype for TPP.

and Mhaedros, if you've got a PS3 you should totally pick up a copy of the Legacy Collection. Comes with MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS1 VR Missions, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, and MGS: PW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataegina View Post
    for the ten bucks I spent on GZ, I've put in nearly 13 hours. Still only at like 55% completion, as if you get 100% in GZ and the upload your save you get special stuff in TPP. It's basically TPP's Tanker/Virtuous mission with extra stuff. Plus the Deja Vu Side Op is worth the price of admission alone
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; March 07, 2015 at 01:49 PM.

Hey Illuminati, let me know if or when you play Peace Walker on the PS3; I'll add you, and we can do coop missions.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I finished it 2 or 3 weeks ago now, but yeah I'll PM you my PSN name.

I'm really looking forward to Phantom Pain. The only game I haven't played is Peace Walker despite Thanatos imploring me to do so. I just can't get myself to play a PSP game, even if it's on my playstation. It's annoying that they made a game on the PSP part of the canon, especially important canon. I had portable ops which was ok, but I just never got into playing on the PSP.

I finished it 2 or 3 weeks ago now, but yeah I'll PM you my PSN name.
    There's the secret (true) ending if you haven't gotten it, as well as all the other things to develop in Mother Base that are IMHO worth the effort.

Citizen

Blog Entries

There's the secret (true) ending if you haven't gotten it, as well as all the other things to develop in Mother Base that are IMHO worth the effort.
    Super Secret Act 5 Peace Walker spoilers
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The JPop seemed out of place fighting ZEKE. But it's catchy and was fun spinning around in circles to it

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    I'm really looking forward to Phantom Pain. The only game I haven't played is Peace Walker despite Thanatos imploring me to do so. I just can't get myself to play a PSP game, even if it's on my playstation. It's annoying that they made a game on the PSP part of the canon, especially important canon. I had portable ops which was ok, but I just never got into playing on the PSP.
    It's more canon than Portable Ops which is sort of canon but sort of not canon. PW though was honestly fun, and upgrading Mother Base and stuff was cool. Plus, it sets up Ground Zeroes/TPP.

Yeah I realize that. I know it's important to the story. It's just bleh, I wish they'd done in for the PS3 instead of as a PSP game.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Yeah I realize that. I know it's important to the story. It's just bleh, I wish they'd done in for the PS3 instead of as a PSP game.
    At the time, I don't think Kojima himself realized that he was going to be doing MGS V. Until then, Portable Ops, Ac!d, Ac!d 2 and Peace Walker were just "side things" that Big Boss and Solid Snake did in between the main story games. If my theory is actually true, then it's perfectly understandable.

Also, what's so bleh? The only thing that shows that it was a handheld game is the lack of prone movement (although you can still prone, hide against walls, etc.), and the slightly downgraded graphics (early PS2 game-tier).

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Anyone else surprised by the relatively "early" release date of Sept 2015 for Phantom Pain?

Trying to keep as much info on it under wraps because i don't want any spoilers but definitely pumped to see it releasing much sooner than anticipated.

New MGO is gonna be amazing on the next gen consoles.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post
    Anyone else surprised by the relatively "early" release date of Sept 2015 for Phantom Pain?

Trying to keep as much info on it under wraps because i don't want any spoilers but definitely pumped to see it releasing much sooner than anticipated.

New MGO is gonna be amazing on the next gen consoles.
    I was under the impression that the release date was actually pushed back to the September release we have now.

for the ten bucks I spent on GZ, I've put in nearly 13 hours. Still only at like 55% completion, as if you get 100% in GZ and the upload your save you get special stuff in TPP. It's basically TPP's Tanker/Virtuous mission with extra stuff. Plus the Deja Vu Side Op is worth the price of admission alone
    still a demo i can spend 100h in demos...... doing and redoing over and over and over, but it doesn't mean the game has that "value in conrtent/time", its just we padding and padding the same content over and over No demo is worth $$$..... or maybe i'm from the time when people could play a portion of the game without paying for...could it too... The Evil Within has 3 chapters....... for Free........ or maybe they can resell for $20-$40 and stamp "Kojima" on the Box
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast