Thread: Reasons for computer crashing?

Default Reasons for computer crashing?

Ive had a pretty easy go at it so far. My computer only seems to crash during large battles or if I have fought a couple in a row without restarting my computer.Last night, I started to fight my largest battle with a total troop number of over 9000.

The game crashed twice. I have 4 GB of RAM. Could this be the possible issue? If so I will get some asap. Ive got to win this battle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	downloadfile-43.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	433.9 KB 
ID:	322095

Any possible answers to what could be the problem would be excellent!
    Last edited by hockeyguy6759; March 03, 2015 at 10:20 AM.

Default Re: Reasons for computer crashing?

Follow up question, if it is my RAM, what size would be recommended for my 2nd slot?

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy6759 View Post
    Ive had a pretty easy go at it so far. My computer only seems to crash during large battles or if I have fought a couple in a row without restarting my computer.Last night, I started to fight my largest battle with a total troop number of over 9000.

The game crashed twice. I have 4 GB of RAM. Could this be the possible issue? If so I will get some asap. Ive got to win this battle.

Name:	downloadfile-43.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	433.9 KB 
ID:	322095

Any possible answers to what could be the problem would be excellent!
    - What settings do you typically run the game at?
    - What's your CPU?
    - What's your graphics card?
    - Are your hardware drivers updated?
    - How much RAM do you have?

Depending on your answers, it could be the game is crashing due to hardware limitations.

Name:	downloadfile-101.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	322103Im gonna answer your questions as best as possible and maybe itll help get an answer.

Settings: ive uploaded a screenshot of what my settings screen looks like.

CPU: AMD QuadCore A6-5200 (2.0 GHz 2MB L2 Cache)
    Graphics: AMD Radeon 8400
    Hardware Drivers: Im not sure if they are updated but I can try. It updates on its own regularly but I dont know if it includes drivers.
    RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz

Does that help?

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

I'd recommend you lower your graphic setting a bit, particularly texture filtering. And disable Steam overlay. I run 4GB ram and it works fine.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Okay, Ill give that a shot first before I spent any money on anything.

Large battles are going to crash, its hit or miss. I'm running an intel 8 core 5960x, Sli 980gtx and 16gbs of ddr4. I play with 40unit armies as well. I've tried just about everything, from turning down the graphics to editing the preference script along with a couple other things. I've reduced the crashes but still get them.
    The he mod has so many different unit variations and effects the engine can't handle it when modded to play with a huge number of men. I think the engine can only use 2gb's of memory so pushing it over this crashes the game. I find this happens when there are too many cannons firing at once, or if I move a lot of units around
    at the same time. I've recently been playing imperial splendor (empiremod) and am running with 40units/ 300-400 unit sizes. I've had battles with well 25,000 soldiers on the field and have yet to have a crash so my guess is that it has something to do with effects or that there are so many different unit variations i.e faces, uniforms weapons etc,
    that overload the engine. Another theory is that some of the battle fields are bugged. I've noticed that I can fight the same 40 unit armies on some fields with out any problems. I probably have upwards of 500 hours on this mod. After so many hours of game play I started to notice that I would always crash on certain battle located in the same regions and
    on the same field. I know the fields where edited in the past to add those log fences, my guess is that a bug might of been introduced at that time. Maybe a path finding issue. Anyways, this is the best overhaul mod I've ever played and I will continue to play it. Sometimes you just got to work around some annoyances.