Thread: Them legions

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Default Them legions

Aight,

youll probably bash me for milionth time with the question by my search came up empty.
    Reforms give me generic cohorts, roman fortress gives me? ^^
    Simply said, I dont want to skip republicans and the building tree got me totally confused, help plox?

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

Default Re: Them legions

The laziness is strong in this one. But here you go.... http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ut-RS2-is-here

Aight, I must be absolutely dumb, but I dont see it.

Roman Rebel
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

Quote Originally Posted by czePowerslave View Post
    Aight, I must be absolutely dumb, but I dont see it.
    Happy to help - but what is the actual question? You start with the 'Middle' Republic situation and the 2nd Punic War. Consular Army 'pairs' with both Roman and Allied (Italian) troops.

The Marian Reforms result in those troops 'changing' for the homogeneous legions of the Late Republic (the 'Generics). If you build the Roman Fortress you will also get access to the 'Early Imperial' legions, because the Team wanted (some of) the pre-cursors available. Me, being a bit of a purist, argued against that just for that reason, but also happily admit to loving the 'Named & Numbered' too.

If you wished to play 'ultra historical' then you wouldn't build any Imperial (Roman Fortress recruitable) legions or Late Auxilia until after the Civil War and gaining an Emperor.

Hope that is a starter......
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

It helps yes thanks Im more into a simple timeline - I got the pre-marian hastati triarii, ive built the Akragas palace and now I have generic legions everywhere. Now my interest is if there are any pre-Imperial named numbered legions and if so, how to get access to them and on that, how to later switch to Imperials.

Roman Rebel
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

We have name/numbered which use the mail armor, and then later on are the name/numbered which use the other armor.

The armour is not a factor - there never was a 'global' switch.

The 'Generic' legions are the ones that existed between the 'Marian reforms' and the rise of the Imperial system (Octavian becomes Augustus, first emperor) when the legions became fully professional standing units (not raised, perhaps reinforced (we don't know) en masse). There are also 'Generic First Cohorts' that are now 'numbered' too and can be used (with a bit of management) to represent things like Caesar's Tenth, etc (this is what I do) when combined into a legion structure.

Sometime during and then perhaps lasting 200+ years thereafter some legions, mainly in the West it seems, started using the plate/segmentata armour. Some of the Later Imperial units are so equipped (and there's also the 2 with the up-armoured manica seen on the post-Dacian War monuments).

Specifically, you get access to the 'Early Imperial' set (the first '12' named and numbered) when you upgrade a Campus Martius to a Roman Fortress (and availability based upon individual settlements). The 'Late Imperial' set are then enabled when the Circus Maximus is built in Roma and the 'Augustan Reforms' take place.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

That is the answer I was looking for, many thanks!

Roman Rebel
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel