Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything Attila has (from Rome 1) that Rome II doesn't

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Default Everything Attila has (from Rome 1) that Rome II doesn't

You may remember my thread shortly after the Rome II release entitled 'everything Rome 1 had that Rome 2 doesn't' (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Rome-2-doesn-t)
    Attila seems to be going a long way to placate the fans by restoring cut features, and I'd like to go through the Rome II cut features list to see just how much of the original Rome (and Barbarian Invasion) is back.
    I've quoted the entire feature list, and individually evaluated it.

NOT EVERYTHING ON THIS LIST IS IN ATTILA: if a feature is brought back and improved upon it is in bold. If it is brought back but not embellished, it is underlined. If it is unformatted, it was in RTW, but not Rome II or Attila. Quite a lot of them have been brought back, though there are many still by the wayside.

Here goes:
    Revamped:

-family tree and set heir

-politics had more of an impact on the campaign (in my experience you can ignore Rome 2 politics with no adverse effects)

-plagues that made sense (from squalid places) and that occurred more often to liven the campaign map up as did all natural disasters
    -historical event messages, and historically timed natural disasters

-all of the post invasion options gave tangible benefits, as opposed to occupy being the only viable option in R2: slaughter gave public order as they were terrified of you and instant money; but destroyed the population size, occupy gave a large population but had potential public order problems, enslave provided long-term money and trade resources so was kind of a half-way house

-all buildings in towns were flammable, and those destroyed had to be repaired on the campaign map

-needed siege weapons for town assaults, gates couldn't be burned down by infantry, bigger walls required better siege engines, ladders had to be constructed

-battle damage e.g. to walls had to be repaired afterwards on the campaign map, or it would remain in future battles

-map areas: sahara desert, tip of Sweden, modern day Belarus, Lithuania and Latvia, more of modern-day Ukraine and Russia

-fertility varying between regions, and the ability to get a good or bad harvest instead of a set income

Revived:

-unique faction intro videos

-fire at will for all units with missiles, including legionaries

-loose formation for all units

-% of each side that were dead displayed by hovering over the balance of power bar [in Attila it gives the raw numbers]

-
    characters last long enough to become useful before they die

-character portraits aged and there were traits to do with age

-all buildings constructed shown on the battle map

-more period-inspired HUD (not gonna get involved in the row over the unit/building cards though)

-
    you have the option of a short campaign as any faction which is less of a long-term commitment, and can be completed in a few hours, or 1-2 days. Thus Rome 1 also catered to the casual gamer, addressing more directly than R2 both the casual and the hardcore player

-pikemen that use their pikes, in R2 the AI generally uses its pikemen as swordsmen (though gradually improving with patches)

-banners stayed above routing units so you could track them down and see their numbers and the factors affecting them, routing enemies were also shown on the minimap ('radar map'), so didn't require the chore of searching the battle map and examining the landscape to find them

-it was much harder to 'shatter' units (rout but terrify them so much they cannot be rallied)

-full page displays when needed (settlement details, diplomacy) and not obstructive when not needed (R2's massive tall empty unit cards box)

-more spaced units so you can see the fighting

-smoke trail behind torches and more visible one behind fire arrows

-you could set the exact amount of money offered or demanded in a diplomatic transaction

Partially revived:

-no[n-] crippling attrition when besieging (subjective whether this is a good thing or not, but encouraged you to build lots of siege engines for epic battles)

-more variation in portraits: it was very unlikely you would have two generals with the same face, even though you would have many more generals

-immersive deep traits system with unlimited traits to give detailed characters, all traits came from experience not rpg-levelling

-senate missions, with rewards including money, gladiator games or races, public offices, senate standing, naval and land units

-more trade resources, multiple trade resources per region

-slower paced battles (though patches have made this much better than at R2 release)

-the abilities could have come come from training e.g. formations and attacks, they were not magical stat boosts like +10% attack or remove all fatigue

-scorched earth from armies in hostile territory, devastation shown on map and had public order and income consequences

-marginally bigger units: infantry 160 standard/240 largest,missile 160, cavalry 108 compared to R2's infantry 160 standard/200 largest, missile 120, cavalry 80

-lots of (orangey-yellow) torches carried by troops in night battles to provide light, not one weird bright white spotlight on the unit commander like in R2

-cities with more than one culture's buildings in them

-agents have more distinct roles, less crossover between them (possibly more intuitive but again, that is opinion, not fact)

-mounted units have more impact [too much in Attila], and units look like they have more weight: the men sent flying from cavalry charges flail like men, rather than flying 10 feet like a paper doll

-artillery is (realistically) less accurate

-there are 10 historical battles, compared to the 4 in R2, 3 of those 4 have you playing as the Romans (+1 more historical battle with DLC. You play as Rome.) [Attila Historical battles are lazily constructed, but there are more of them]

-culture-specific music

-you could zoom out much further on the campaign map

Rejected:

-taxation controls for every individual province

-roads of differing sizes and qualities were build-able on the campaign map (after all, what the real Rome was famous for)

-trade happened between settlements within a faction as well as between factions, this internal trade giving the map a more 'living' feel as your empire's commerce circulated

-city view for every settlement

-new engine for the game

-a range boost for missile troops on high ground (R2 has damage boost instead)

-guard mode for all units

-set capital

-permanent forts that looked like a fort on the campaign map, not a ring of spikes

-watchtowers

-towns rioted a few turns before rebellions or revolts, and rebels would be unhappy citizens, not just slaves

-some of the wounded on the winner's side recovering immediately after each battle, and casualties could be dead or wounded, not just always dead

-formations were more cohesive, though patches have brought Rome 2 close

-diplomatic options: give region, map information, attack faction, threatening diplomacy (accept or we will attack)

-building sites on the battle maps of towns in the process of constructing something

-contextual and lengthy pre-battle speeches

-nicknames 'the brave', 'the mad', 'the great' etc.

-more building freedom, with the ability to construct as many buildings as you liked in towns (up to about 30) and not limited to 5 in Rome itself, or 3 or 4 in minor settlements

-normal buildings such as markets that would have been easily and regularly constructed don't require R2's protracted research, so you are less constricted in your building options

-more detailed breakdown of income with lots more factors in income per settlement

-graphs displaying progress of all factions in general terms as well as financial, military, territory, population and production.

-more detailed breakdown of public order with more factors for both positive and negative

-casualties actually mattered as you couldn't just stand in your territory for a turn or two to replenish them for free (and replenishment is much faster now than in NTW or S2 - this one is up for debate as to whether it is a good thing, but it is a fact that you couldn't heal your armies as quickly or at no cost in Rome 1)

-unit experience decreased when fresh recruits were used to refill it, making casualties matter even more

-retrain was available in every town with the relevant barracks

-If units are completely surrounded with no hope of escape, they fight to the death and cannot rout

-music composed by Jeff van Dyck (matter of opinion as to whether he is better, but he did win awards, including a Bafta)

-music that reacts quickly and dramatically to events on the battlefield for immersion and 'hollywood' drama, as opposed to sometimes imperceptibly changing track on the OST

-tunnelling under town walls to bring them down (sap points)

-wall sizes were not automatically changed with settlement sizes: they were built independently, so large cities could have meagre defences, and smaller ones (if maxed out) could get decent ones e.g. stone walls. This led to more diversity and different challenges between cities

-much easier unit merging (click and drag) to refill units, balance casualties or balance experience

-general can be seen ordering the units about with every command you give: signalling with his sword for movements and rearing up to order a charge. Rallying also caused him to rear his horse. (In R2 he only signals when moving his own unit, and then only sometimes)

-no limits on armies

-military forces not glued to generals, and captains could be promoted from the ranks to become generals if they served well

-not broken up into piecemeal dlc

-pirates as actual naval forces that can be fought not percentage penalties on income (an Illyrian pirate queen is one of the R2 loading screens, and fighting pirates was the main occupation of the Roman navy - where are the pirates?)

-no automatic transports, so navies more useful

-bigger bonuses from traits and retainers ( unlike '5% better melee attack')

-more land battles (as opposed to settlement battles)

-civil war actually against the other families not generic 'senate loyalists', especially inappropriate if the player wants to preserve the republic

-ongoing cutscene to show senators' reaction to you

-brigands appeared on the map on rich trade routes

-primary and secondary weapons for cavalry

-units stayed closer together when routing, not turning into weird massive long single-file lines, and chasing routing units was not a micromanagement-fest

-population (and the ability to do migration tactics by recruiting units and disbanding them elsewhere)

-a more dynamic base for modding: it will be much harder to change core game mechanics with R2

-units could disengage without massive casualties or men 'locked into' time-consuming combat animations that ensured they would be caught and killed

-a video showing you the death of the general on either side, and a video showing wall and gate breaches

-horses try to leap over spears and shields when charging

-more populated cities have related problems, like squalor, and related benefits, like a large recruitment pool, unlike R2 where settlement size and squalor are not linked, only specific buildings

-elephants have more dramatic animations and fling men into the air with tusks and trunk

-there is more room for tactics: usually you can manoeuvre with infantry and skirmishers and deploy cavalry in flanking attacks, and battles progress in stages. In R2, once one line breaks somewhere, the whole battle line routs quickly and there is little room for tactics (admittedly this one is quite subjective, feel free to dispute if this is not your experience)

-videos for capturing a wonder

-much less distorted map projection

-distance to capital

-the year and faction displayed when loading a campaign

-units visibly pushed siege engines to the walls, as opposed to just walking behind them while they magically move forwards

-save battle replay saved exactly what happened (patches are improving this, but it is not yet fully fixed in Rome 2)

-culture-specific advisers

-campaign map animations for natural disasters: volcanoes erupted, floodwater could be seen on the map, and the ground convulsed in earthquakes

-far longer unit and building descriptions, with historical information

-you could have multiple generals within one army

-trade to every settlement, not just the capital, isolated settlements could still trade

-disciplined troops such as Romans would form columns, stepping aside to allow other units to move or rout through them, so the cohesion of your formation was not disrupted when this unit crossover happened

The things that have been removed in Rome II that were in Barbarian Invasion:

-religion

-horde mechanics

The things that have been removed in Rome II that were in Medieval 2:

-diplomatic options e.g. marriages

-agent videos

-armour cleanness deteriorated over the course of a battle, troops did not start out filthy

-armour and weapon upgrades visibly changed the appearance of units' equipment

-prisoner count displayed on in-battle HUD, not just victory screen

-recruitment cool-down, limited pool of units to recruit from, as though reflecting a trained reserve
    Last edited by GussieFinkNottle; May 12, 2015 at 08:16 PM.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Remo's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Everything Attila has that Rome II doesn't

-guard mode and loose formation for all units
    No it doesn't, show me where the guard mode button is.
    Last edited by Remo; March 01, 2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remo View Post
    No it doesn't, show me where the guard mode button is.
    I know it doesn't, and said as much. As you will notice, I put loose formation underlined, but not guard formation.
    Last edited by GussieFinkNottle; March 01, 2015 at 11:44 AM.

Remo's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    I know it doesn't, and said as much. As you will notice, I put loose formation in italics, but not guard formation.
    Yea sorry about that, the formatting is a little weird.

In any case, Guard mode is one feature that absolutely should be in the game. Their excuses as to why it isn't is just... well fairly dumb.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Great list, thanks for the effort!
    +rep
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

-character portraits aged and there were traits to do with age
    -slower paced battles
    -needed siege weapons for town assaults, gates couldn't be burned down by infantry, bigger walls required better siege engines, ladders had to be constructed
    -more spaced units so you can see the fighting
    -artillery is (realistically) less accurate
    Maybe I'm wrong (I wasn't exactly looking out for theses features when playing) but these ones don't seem right. Characters only age until they come of age and then they stay the same, though I'm not sure about age related traits. Battles seem a hell of a lot faster paced than Rome II from my experience. While the AI tends not to siege after the first turn, it still can torch gates when required and tends not to build siege equipment. I haven't noticed any change regarding unit spacing. And artillery still seems too accurate in my opinion.

Good initiative though, it's good noting the progress they've made

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSaunders View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong (I wasn't exactly looking out for theses features when playing) but these ones don't seem right. Characters only age until they come of age and then they stay the same, though I'm not sure about age related traits. Battles seem a hell of a lot faster paced than Rome II from my experience. While the AI tends not to siege after the first turn, it still can torch gates when required and tends not to build siege equipment. I haven't noticed any change regarding unit spacing. And artillery still seems too accurate in my opinion.

Good initiative though, it's good noting the progress they've made
    I'm pretty sure I've noticed Arcadius bulking up with middle age as ERE, and I think (but I'm not sure) hair can go grey. Battle speed I suppose is subjective, for me the likelihood of routed units returning and the exhaustion mechanics make my battles progress in waves and withdrawals, and take a fair bit longer. Torching gates is out as of patch 1, siege equipment is in. Roman units are definitely more spaced, and Rome II now has wider spacing than it did when I first wrote the list. I agree arty is too accurate, though it is less so. It always seems to shoot at the front left corner of a unit. My biggest problem with arty is that it has too little ammo now, it's basically useless against land units, killing only 50 men or so before running out of ammunition. In Rome II an artillery unit killed an average of 200-300 men per battle for me.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Good and informative. Thanks. I might have missed it, and apologise if I have, but can you rename armies?

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Can you show me where the faction intros are different? I am only seeing one single intro for all non-Roman factions.

shogon's Avatar Civis

-new engine for the game

Is this actually true? Otherwise I wouldn't consider patches on Warscape a new engine at all.

Never mind I can't read the main post properly.
    Last edited by shogon; March 01, 2015 at 01:31 PM.
    40%
    40%
    40%
    40%
    "
    It's a real upgrade, and we're not even halfway to alpha."

This is an awful list. The least you could do is to separate those that are in Attila from the ones you wish to see.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    This is an awful list. The least you could do is to separate those that are in Attila from the ones you wish to see.
    Feeling positive today are we Setekh?
    I've reordered the list to make it easier to read, the original reasoning was to have it in the same format as the old Rome II list.

Are you all having trouble reading such a simple list? I could read it fine, because I actually read the full post...
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Default Re: Everything Attila has (from Rome 1) that Rome II doesn't

I posted it because going over the old thread, I was struck by how much of it was there, almost as if CA took a list of old features they could bring back. I'd say Attila really was one for the fans, design-wise. Layering on all these features makes it a super rich game for us, but I imagine it would be almost impenetrable to someone playing it as their first TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Good and informative. Thanks. I might have missed it, and apologise if I have, but can you rename armies?
    I'm pretty sure you can, I've seen the option to rename settlements in my Sassanid campaign.

LordInvictus's Avatar Semisalis
    In California in the USA on Earth in the Solar System in the Milky Way

-music composed by Jeff van Dyck (matter of opinion as to whether he is better, but he did win awards, including a Bafta)
    Beddow won his share of awards also, including a BAFTA.
    -a more dynamic base for modding: it will be much harder to change core game mechanics with R2
    The game is quite moddable, it's just more complex. Core game mechanics couldn't be changed in older games either.
    -a video showing you the death of the general on either side, and a video showing wall and gate breaches
    More annoying than helpful. For the general's death video, it could often interrupt your micro, and wall/gate breach videos were often pointless as you could easily see a wall falling down, especially if you are right next to it trying to move your units only to be interrupted by a cutscene.
    -horses try to leap over spears and shields when charging
    A cataphract leaping over a man? Meh.
    -elephants have more animations and throw men into the air with tusks and trunk
    Elephants had two combat animations: the rearing up one and the "headbutt" one and one death animation. Elephants in Rome 2/Attila have 3 combat animations and 3 death animations.
    -you could zoom out much further on the campaign map
    Attila has rectified this.
    -culture-specific music
    The combat music in Attila is entirely culture specific. The campaign music is dependent on location on the map (Eastern music in the East, barbarian music in the North, etc.)

Uummm no. The death cut scenes for generals barely took 3 seconds, hardly interfering with your precious micro time.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    I might have missed it, and apologise if I have, but can you rename armies?
    Yes you can...

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

aaaaand another player who lives in the nostalgic past... when I reached the statement of unlimited building spaces..... I stopped reading.... by now eveybody knows why there is a limited area in the towns for new buildings.... The. reason is. Balance - not overpowered cities. vs the other regions that are neglected...... just dont try to fix something that is fixed already. This is not Sim city. 4 . This is. a strategy game.....

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

For me, the only thing missing in this game is Guard mode, and the rest i can live up with it. CA removed formation attacks from all units in Atilla because of buggy reasons i guess. The down side is, now you cannot separate the disciplined and undisciplined units anymore as you see them all fight like barbarians.

I just don't understand why CA wont add a decent guard mode in the game. They already added that in all their warscape game except this and Rome 2. Guard mode can make units fight like real disciplined units, they wont automatically face enemy units when get flanked and glitchy at times like we have in Rome 2. And most important thing is, skirmishers won't chase down targeted units!

So what happened to this feature?!?!?
    Last edited by Garensterz; March 01, 2015 at 07:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast