Thread: An Introcuction to getting Gud at Total War Attila's Multiplayer

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default An Introcuction to getting Gud at Total War Attila's Multiplayer

To get an overview of Total War Attila's multiplayer aspect I've created this thread. You should be able to find the information you need to get started. Feel free to post question if you have any.

Factions
    Alamans
    Alans
    Burgundians
    Danes
    Eastern Roman Empire
    Franks
    Geats
    Huns
    Jutes
    Langobards
    Ostrogoths
    Sassanid Empire
    Saxons
    Vandals
    Visigoths
    Werstern Roman Empire
    More coming soon

Commanding and moving your army
    Total War multiplayer can be a hectic experience. To not be overwhelmed it's good to understand how to assume direct control, how to unlock the free debug cam and a few new Attila specific controls. Also, make sure you have Locket Group and Group on their proper key bindings, some attila players have reported these two being mixed.

Hidden stats
    Attila have many hidden stats that they player can't see: rate of fire, bonus damages to horses or infantry, etc. Click here to find out how to find the hidden stats. Download the packetfile manager here. Once you are in the "db" folder, scroll down to "land_unit_tables", "melee_weapons_tables" and "projectiles_tables" for some of the more useful tabs.

Walrus Jones made a mod that give you clarity on many of the different hidden stats. Don't worry, this mod is compatible with all mods and Attila Vanilla. This means you can play multiplayer with all other people. Explained here.

A number of videos on the importance of ranged infantry, infantry, cavalry, moral, fatigue, general's abilities and other things. I'll take out videos that are irrelvant, and I'll also add important patch notes to indicate when the video was made:

Ranged Infantry
    Archers and Crossbows vs Infantry
    Crossbows vs Slingers and Archers
    Ammo vs Cavalry
    The Best Combination of Ammo and Abilities for Crossbows
    Elite Crossbows Rek Elite Archers
    Crossbows - Killing Infantry With Fire
    Arrows, Ammo and Abilities vs Infantry
    Testudo, Spaghetti Loose Formation vs Missiles
    Upgrading Skirmishers
    Slingers are..
    Forest Cover Against Missile Fire
    Loose Formation
    Do Back Shields Work?
    Burgundian Barbed Skirmishers
    Loose Formation vs Cavalry
    Friendly Fire

Ranged Infantry patch 2
    Heavy Shot, Flaming Shot and Standard vs Infantry

Infantry
    Infantry vs Cavalry
    Pikes vs Infantry
    Shieldwall
    Shield Wall or Counter Charge vs High Charge
    Axes vs Swords
    Expert Charge Defense and Spear Wall against High Charge Infantry
    Spear Formations vs Tagmeta Cavalry
    Throwing Axes
    Calling Dogs Back
    Beating Elite Pikes Frontally With Cheap Melee
    Infantry Formation Depth and Width vs Infantry
    High Charge vs High Charge
    Melee Attack and Melee Defense

Cavalry
    Diamond Formation To Defeat Shock Cavalry With Melee Cavalry
    Melee Cavalry vs Shock - Diamond vs No Diamond
    Tagmata Cavalry vs Elephants , Cavalry, Spears and Dogs
    Cavalry Charges in Forests
    Cavalry Impact Damage
    Horse Hewers vs Tagmata Cavalry
    Cavalry Charge Speed
    Side Effects of Flanking a Spaghetti Main Course

Moral
    Stacking Fear and Morale Penalties
    Positive Modifiers

Fatigue
    Fatigue and Speed
    Fatigue, Running and Time

General's Abilities
    Brace on Cavalry
    Brace on Infantry

Misc.

Why testing versus A.I. is useless
    Unit Upgrades - What They Do
    Unit Upgrades II - Which units to upgrade? - Protectores Domestici
    Unit Upgrades III - Germanic Horsemen
    Unit Upgrades IV - Hirdmen
    Upgrading Several Units at Once in Multiplayer

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; March 27, 2015 at 05:32 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Default Re: An Introcuction to getting Gud at Total War Attila's Multiplayer

Great post, thanks for all the info^^
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free..." Goethe

"Share my woman, share my wine, share my soul, burn the sun...this is all just for Rome" Triarii

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Glad I could spread the word.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Y@$!N's Avatar Senator

Great post! Only just found it ;(
    My YouTube Channel
    Hello, again.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Y@$!N View Post
    Great post! Only just found it ;(
    Not sure if you are happy or sad, but w/e. Thanks I guess. I'll continue to keep his video's up to date and relevant for the current patch while also leaving the videos that are about fundamental concepts still in the list.

~Wille