Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rally Point 25 - Gate Smashing and ATTILA Recap

CA Developer Icon Rally Point 25 - Gate Smashing and ATTILA Recap

Hey all,

Sometimes, when both the chips and the siege equipment is down, you just need to get into a gate. In this month’s Rally Point we talk to Mr.Bickham about how the torches are down and the axes are up in ATTILA:

http://youtu.be/B6AdSi0RyVA

We’re also recapping all the things which you might have missed on the run up to launch, so grab a cup of tea/coffee/blood of your foes and settle in for Rally Point 25.

Enjoy!

-Will CA
    Last edited by Will CA; February 27, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
    Total War: Shogun 2 and its mod tool set, The Assembly Kit, are on the Steam Workshop. Check it out here.

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Rally Point 25 - Gate Smashing and ATTILA Recap

I was hoping to actually also see the units hacking down a gate in the video

We’re also recapping all the things which you might have missed on the run up to launch, so grab a cup of tea/coffee/blood of your foes and settle in for Rally Point 25.
    I would love to grab a cup thereof... but I am kinda short of blood in Attila atm

(very best thing was the teddy getting treated at the end )
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; February 27, 2015 at 08:18 AM.

They try too hard

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

"It`s an important mechanic because we still want to give attackers a chance to get into the city."
    WHY?

So this is a Creative Assembly executive design decision then? It boils down to who is in charge of the final way sieges work?

I know it does not have to be this way because it isn`t in Medieavel 2 or Rome 1 and those games are all the better for it. So it is obviously a directive of sorts, an order if you will.

I turn to you sincerely (or whoever made that final decision), and ask that you change it. In fact I propose a compromise, allow the AI AND Player a choice of trying to hack through the gates or retreating. If the siege attacking BAI feels it has too few men, it retreats. However, a fulll retreat from the gates once all siege units gone would be best.

People will cope. They will handle it, they WILL buy it and your game will become even better.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

I guess we can all be "Pyrrhic Generals" then(especially the AI). GOOD BYE HISTORICAL AUTHENTICITY!

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

So much talk and effort about some torches....can you please use all this energy on the Campaign AI instead?

Also the video is private.

Video is private??

Too bad we can't see it cause you made it private. (Am not going to help google at registering the whole world's behavior)

Private? It wasn`t when I looked. Wow. They silenced that one sharpish! Makes me think twice about purchasing their game.

Interesting. I was able to watch it also. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

PumpkinBread's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Private? It wasn`t when I looked. Wow. They silenced that one sharpish! Makes me think twice about purchasing their game.
    Or, they had a technical issue. Video is back up now.

-Will CA
    Total War: Shogun 2 and its mod tool set, The Assembly Kit, are on the Steam Workshop. Check it out here.

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA

hmmm. I remembered the video was a half likes and half dislikes. And some pretty crushing words down in the comments section. Well good thing it's all cleared out now right?

Decanus

I haven't played yet with the new patch, but I must commend you guys @ CA for listening to feedback and getting rid of the torches mechanic. Axes & men hacking a gate down is much more realistic than the previous solution so amen.

If nothing else, haters can't keep using laser torches memes & that is a good thing.

In fact I propose a compromise, allow the AI AND Player a choice of trying to hack through the gates or retreating. If the siege attacking BAI feels it has too few men, it retreats. However, a fulll retreat from the gates once all siege units gone would be best.
    I totally agree that getting the BAI to retreat when it has been beaten back on the first 1-2 waves of a siege assault would do wonders for immersion.

I don't mind the idea of hacking gates, as long as the cost for doing so is high. But what is important is that once the battle is hopeless, the attackers should flee...but of course it really sucks when the AI leaves a camped force outside until the timer runs out. It seems you can tell the BAI sometimes has evaluated it's checkmated, but doesn't have the option to pull the trigger & retreat.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; March 01, 2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: dp/merged

So what do you think the big news in the next Rally Point will be guys? Free-LC? Arena release date?

Quote Originally Posted by Will CA View Post
    Or, they had a technical issue. Video is back up now.

-Will CA
    Well that`s ok then.

Now about the main issue... That compromise I suggested?

Actually I miss the logic of this Rally Point... if any

Remo's Avatar Campidoctor

Well that`s ok then.

Now about the main issue... That compromise I suggested?
    Surely you jest sir, you think he will actually address that directly?

WHY?

So this is a Creative Assembly executive design decision then? It boils down to who is in charge of the final way sieges work?

I know it does not have to be this way because it isn`t in Medieavel 2 or Rome 1 and those games are all the better for it. So it is obviously a directive of sorts, an order if you will.

I turn to you sincerely (or whoever made that final decision), and ask that you change it. In fact I propose a compromise, allow the AI AND Player a choice of trying to hack through the gates or retreating. If the siege attacking BAI feels it has too few men, it retreats. However, a fulll retreat from the gates once all siege units gone would be best.

People will cope. They will handle it, they WILL buy it and your game will become even better.
    Same question I asked myself! Why they want to give a chance to the AI to take a fortified city without siege equipment at all cost is beyond me.

Let's not forget that the Goths wiped out almost all the imperial army at Adrianopole, killed the emperor himself, and yet they had no way to enter Adrianopole itself, despite trying it so hard, beacause they did not know how to make siege equipment. If it was so easy to smash the gates, I'm sure the Goths still had plenty of axes to do it.
    Teutonic Hochmeister skin bug on campaign map fixed --> http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127010

Quote Originally Posted by Sommo James View Post
    Same question I asked myself! Why they want to give a chance to the AI to take a fortified city without siege equipment at all cost is beyond me.

Let's not forget that the Goths wiped out almost all the imperial army at Adrianopole, killed the emperor himself, and yet they had no way to enter Adrianopole itself, despite trying it so hard, beacause they did not know how to make siege equipment. If it was so easy to smash the gates, I'm sure the Goths still had plenty of axes to do it.
    A little knowledge of history goes a long way. I always saw TW games from the very first as small view of what historical warfare was actually like and it seemed so too did the makers of RTW and MTW2, yet with Rome 2 and Atilla, they don`t seem to really care. Sure, they removed torches, but only because torches were a byword for `badgame` it seems- Because they stop short of fully completing the job and giving his AUTHENTIC SIEGES. It seems CA does not share that passion for authentic history that many TW Users have.

Or am I wrong?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast