Thread: Some experimentation with give_traits

Default Some experimentation with give_traits

I've noticed that alot of the traits from RTW and BI work for Medival 2, however in case anyone wants to experiment, I've found some new traits that were added (such as BattleChivalry, StrategyChivalry, PriestLevel, StrongFaith) but have been having some problems trying to get them to work.

I beat the Scots earlier today in my Grand Campaign, so for the fun of it, I wanted to try and get spies and Assassins who can actually kill people with the give_trait, but I've been having a problem.

Because alot of the characters in this game have a surname, I always get Character not found when attempting to fool around with the give_trait command. However it was also not working for the Scottish family members, and also the Scottish Cardinal

For example, King Malcolm of Scotland is considered Malcolm Canmore in the descr_strat file
    But the following always gives a Character not found error
    give_trait "Malcolm"
    give_trait "King Malcolm"
    give_trait "Malcolm Canmore"
    give_trait "Malcolm_Canmore"

Also the Cardninal Brian shows up in the file as Brian Maknab, and usually he has a "Brian the XXXX" or :Brian of XXXX" title, and alot of the combinations I tried with Malcolm for Brian aren't ethier.

Anyone have any ideas?

edit: For the record, I'm tired of my Assassin's only getting a 8% chance of success on characters who are only level 1, I want to try and kill the Pope to see what happens when he gets Wacked.

Default Re: Some experimentation with give_traits

Dont you have to specifiy which character on the give trait line?
    Create a Multiplayer Army Online at: www.shogun2armycreator.netne.net
    Your Unofficial Shogun 2 Tech Support Genius
    Visit my Youtube Channel
    Shogun 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/itsmymillertime

Quote Originally Posted by AlfonsoVIII
    Dont you have to specifiy which character on the give trait line?
    During my English Campaign, it works for King William, and his sons, but not any of my priests/merchants/spys/etc...

I don't think I'm doing the command wrong, because I get the character not found error, but for example give_trait "William" "NaturalMilitarySkill" 4 works just fine in my England campaign.
    Last edited by Thesoldier; November 11, 2006 at 08:54 PM.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's actually to do with descr_strat, I think it's to do with names.txt, if it still exists that is. Canmore and Maknab possibly might have been changed from the original { } names in descr_names or descr_names_lookup.txt, maybe to designate last names from first names or something. I think MT2W uses the names.txt inputted names for the campaign but I'm not sure...
    Last edited by xopium; November 11, 2006 at 09:07 PM.

Has anyone been successful in giving the Factionleader or Factionheir traits, i.e. manually setting the leader or heir?

Or giving traits to AI faction characters?

A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.
    --George Patton

Hell hath no fury like a non-combatant.
    --Charles Edward Montague

Oscar Wilde was a child molester. Quoting him doesn't mean that you're smart...you're just promoting a homosexual pedophile.
    --Sgt. Schultz

Quote Originally Posted by Thesoldier View Post
    give_trait "Malcolm Canmore"
    That one is right. It should be anyway. Also if the person has a name like "Edward of London" (a name with an of or a von) then you use an _ between the of and the last name: "Edward of_London". Finally you never say the rank (King, Prince etc.) unless it is Captain like "Captain Frisby".
    It also works if you do:
    give_trait this "TraitName"
    but the character has to be selected.
    Hope this helps.
    "The wise win before they fight, the ignorant fight to win."

Creator of the Knights and Nobles Mods:
    For playable Mongols
    For playable Timurids

Moved to Text Editing.

But can you give traits to AI characters? I'm playing as Venice and trying to save the HRE from disintegration (they are ginormous) as a result of the family tree dying out and no heir being chosen while the Emperor is 68 (thanks to numerous re-loads on my part when he dies and the faction is destroyed).

--George Patton

Oscar Wilde was a child molester. Quoting him doesn't mean that you're smart...you're just promoting a homosexual pedophile.
    --Sgt. Schultz

Ok, it's possible to give the traits to AI characters, but it doesn't seem to actually make them the heir or leader, just gives them those traits in their stats... hmm...

--George Patton

--Sgt. Schultz

is it not so that faction heir is also a title? like in these lines from expanded.txt:
    {EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_HEIR_TITLE}Faction Heir
    and
    {EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_LEADER_TITLE}Faction Leader
    and also that is why this is set in descr_strat:
    character John Comnenus, named character, male, heir,
    and
    character Alexius Comnenus, named character, male, leader,

my thought is if it is posible to set the title via a command. may be something like "set_heir name"?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    is it not so that faction heir is also a title? like in these lines from expanded.txt:
    {EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_HEIR_TITLE}Faction Heir
    and
    {EMT_BYZANTIUM_FACTION_LEADER_TITLE}Faction Leader
    and also that is why this is set in descr_strat:
    character John Comnenus, named character, male, heir,
    and
    character Alexius Comnenus, named character, male, leader,

my thought is if it is posible to set the title via a command. may be something like "set_heir name"?
    Unfortunately the part after the last } is not connected to console commands. It is there only for the display in campaign mode (battle mode?)

i was pointing to the concept of titles, or rather that i believe there to be two titles in the game, leader and heir. my basis for this theory are the examples i mentioned from descr_strat and expanded.txt.
    that might be why it does not help to give a trait...
    in rtw one could press the set_heir_button. and i suppose that triggered some sort of command to set the selected family member as actual heir.
    if this is somewhat the case, then should it not be posible to run that command manualy? if it still exists in mtw2...

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Got that wrong then (although it looked that way).
    They removed the button\ability to set the heir. Don't think the command still exists.
    You can't make a family heir by giving him the trait (with the console during game play) , only the abilities get conferred, not the title.