• The Two Towers

1 10.00%
  • The Return of the King

4 40.00%
  • The Hobbit

2 20.00%

Thread: Favorite Book and memorable passages

Default Favorite Book and memorable passages

Well the clue is in the title, I just wanted to know what peoples favorite Tolkien books were and what the most memorable chapter or part of the books for you and why?

I'm only keeping the books to the Fellowship, Two Towers, Return of the King and the Hobbit ( sorry have not read the other books so I did not want to include them).

For me the Fellowship of the Ring is my favorite book, as I actually felt scared reading the book the Nazgul and gollum climbing the tree in Lorien really gripped my imagination furthermore the book as a whole was incredible.

My most memorable chapter would be the Voice of Saruman the way Tolkien described Saruman's voice was fantastic and you really could see how evil and devious he was and how powerful he was even in defeat with his voice alone.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Favorite Book and memorable passages

Well out of the four you polled my favorite is definitely the Fellowship, more specifically the first part of it. There is something beautiful about the long outdrawn introduction to Frodo and the Shire and the chapters leading up to Bree and Rivendell.

The most memorable passage for me however is the rabbit stew in Ithilien. Not sure why, I think it's the name of the chapter that just gets to me

I would definitely recommend reading at least Children of Hurin if you don't intend on reading the other Tolkien works though. Like LOTR and the Hobbit it is a single story instead of the mishmash of characters and time periods of say the Silmarillion, so it might be easier to follow.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Voted for the Hobbit as my favorite book. Short and plenty re readable. Also it was the first book I've ever read

As for favorite quotes....

"
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.""

- The Hobbit

"In rode the Lord of the Nazgul. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgul, under the archway that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face."

- The Return of the King

I have to agree with the poster above about loving the long drawn out introduction of Frodo and the jourey from the Shire to Bree. Bill Ferny being an early minor league villain was also amusing. Boy would things soon be opening up and becoming far more epic and deadly.

But The Two Towers is both my favorite book and movie version. I love the different threads with characters once the fellowship is broken up. One of my favoprite chapters is the Uruk Hai. Watching the Mordor and Isengard Uruks and Orcs and their dispute about where the ring should go and whose master was more feared, all the while the orcs of the misty mountains cower in the background, was a rare glimpse into the twisted minds of the Orcs.

But my favorite passage was from The Voice of Saruman--- "Suddenly another voice spoke, low and melodious, its very sound an enchantment. Those who listened unwarily to that voice could seldom report the words that they heard; and if they did, they wondered, for little power remained in them. Mostly they remembered only that it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable, and desire awoke in them by swift agreement to seem wise themselves."

The whole idea that Saruman's voice made the listener desire to seem wise in agreement, all the while not being able to recall much afterwards was a beautifully articulated take on how we feel roused by a political speech, but cannot recall the specifics when called on to relate what was so great about what was said. The voice itself encouraged the listener to "by swift agreement seem wise themselves". An effect similar to the ring, ones own desire to be wise or powerful was played upon, and their own vanity or greed was what trapped them. Tolkien had great wisdom and vision and was a master of words.