Thread: "pushing" through my phalanx

Default "pushing" through my phalanx

greetings - there is something about this mod and campaign that I just love and I keep coming back to this.

Now I've used the search tool to no avail. I've a problem with enemies pushing into and deforming my phalanx who then get chewed to pieces (Greek phalangites - after militia and before the lovely armoured ones). I expect it against superior troops and large formations of heavy enemies but:

It happened against "standard" phalangites so I shortened my line and made a "deeper" phalanx each unit being almost square and to my surprise enemy HEAVY CAVALRY and standard phalangites managed to push into the centre of my formation. I moved some hoplites from the flank to reinforce and it stopped it happenning but it almost made my whole line collapse.

I am not complaining (it's actually exciting) but I'd like to be rewarded for deploying my phalanx properly - do I need to create a double-line? Or maybe the fact that mine are ALWAYS standing still gives the enemy a momentum advantage? I find moving my phalanxes tricky although historically they did advance and use their momentum to smash the enemy, when I move them in any way it's usually becomes a disastrous mess as they lose formation, bump into each other and get annihilated by the enemy. ANy suggestions welcome, although I try to play in a pseudo-historical manner.

UPDATE:

For anyone interested after reading around a bit I think there's an issue with the exe I am using which is NOT alex.exe I'll test a few custom battles and report back.

Fixed: both push-through and chaotic phalanx movement caused by not using alex.exe
    Last edited by St Naffatun; February 25, 2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If we didn't have cruxifixion, this country'd be in a right bloody mess"

Default Re: "pushing" through my phalanx

It's good to have some units as a reserve to back up against critical pressure to your formation. This usually means you have a superior numbers.

I only keep my battleline still if the enemy doesn't have missile troops and/or I have more archers/slingers. If not I swiftly move my phalanx-line close to the enemy. Then deploy phalanx-formation and guard-mode and move them to the spear-reaching distance. Make them walk straight forward and running only when reaching enemy's missile range to keep the formation. Also keep an eye on if the enemy charges when you move closer and haven't yet deployed phalanx-mode.

Sometimes I use "The Long Line in the Sand" -strategy (http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/strat...nd/index.shtml). Sure it might not be very historical but you can always think it somekind of military-tactical reform/idea (and if/for role-playing then only some general's can use it).

I use BI.exe and fatigue is set off.

So, Alexander expansion has phalanxes the most stable?

Phalanxes have always been a fun element for me, but, so many have complained about their performance. Especially in RTWII, which after watching many MP battles online I can understand.

MPs of RTWII stated to have a melee unit behind a phalanx for ultimate killage in front of the line and for backup due to the various issues with a phalanx used in RTWII. A problem not fixed by CA/ other unmentionable party, and, even said that RTWI phalanx coding is a lot better...

Here is a decent illustration of the point, that hard coding of a phalanx in the game doesn't show but with the tactic above, does.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdNn5TZu6R8
    @ 3:00 mins.

The extreme of play compared to RTWI involves an exploit or a task of hitting attack repeatedly to achieve the pushing
    back of E unit by the phalanx. Kind of tiresome and seriously micro in an online battle for a RTWII player.

I suppose what I am really asking is, does a melee unit in reserve behind a phalanx give as much weight to battle in RTWI or, does it reduce the mass or mechanics of the phalanx?

For honestly, I forget from years ago. ha!

If they're not dying, units will simply eventually walk through the pikes. You really want to have flanked and killed them before it happens.

Horse, if running/charging will die when they hit pikes. HOWEVER, if walking, their high mass means they can just stroll through the pikes. Heavy cavalry have high mass and high defences so the pikemen can't kill them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKnight View Post
    I suppose what I am really asking is, does a melee unit in reserve behind a phalanx give as much weight to battle in RTWI or, does it reduce the mass or mechanics of the phalanx?
    In rome1, when your men are in phalanx formation with their pikes down at the ready, they magically gain mass. Enemies simply walking against their pikes will not move them. (Pikes have some special effect that pushes the enemies around, usually backwards. It doesn't have to do with the pikemen's stats... you can launch enemies by dropping pikes on their heads for example)
    Last edited by Alavaria; May 16, 2015 at 10:18 PM.