Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Torches Where we're going we don't need torches!

Default Re: UPDATE: Torches Where we're going we don't need torches!

I'm having a lot of fun but am eagerly looking forward to the update - I've found a few bugs, or strange occurences in the AI behaviour both in campaign and battle, so hopefully this goes some way to remedying them.

Also, while the removal of torches of great, I have to admit the ability to chop gates down comes as a bit of a bitter aftertaste. As has been said, can it not just be made so that an army without catapults/siege engines/a breach in the wall simply loses the battle/withdraws and then just retreats on the campaign map like in earlier TWs? I don't really understand this need for the AI to always have a way in - if they don't have the means to assault the city that should be the end of it.

All that said, I'm really not trying to whinge and it sounds like Attila's going to become even better than it already is. Thanks!

Protector's Avatar Senator

• Added missing Hadrian’s Wall back into battle outfields.

There you go !

spiderknight's Avatar Ordinarius

This harldy matters. With siege escalation you cant lose. I had a siege where i waited a few turns to get better equiptment. So i started the battle and pushed the siege towers up to the wall. The first guys ran out and attacked so i lined up the next unit to climb the tower and enter the fight. once the tower was clear of the first squad i drag clicked for the next unit to enter the city. I looked away to a different part of the map and when i returned i expected to see the men climbing the tower and entering the town.....but no they were running way down past the gate to enter through a completly unexplainable breach in the wall. Why would they not just climb the tower right in front of them????? Torches or hacking through the gate harldy matter when you can just wander on in through the multiple breaches in the wall.

To those complaining about torches and hacking down the gate being the same thing you are wrong. This sounds like it will take much longer, having a unit stand under the Gatling gun towers for more than 20 seconds will make short work of them. I predict massive casualties trying to hack down a gate

In the older games, the AI would occasionally retreat from battles that they could not win. Sieges were one of those. If the army lacks siege equipment, they should have to leave the field and essentially rebuild them (the ability to maintain a siege if the army isn't destroyed is key here).

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

You can actually attack gates with troops? This is amazing

Well done CA, another good step toward the right direction. Attila became every day more interesting and appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by 111289 View Post
    I vaguely remember some coplaints about torches during rome II but I'm not sure let me check it out.
    Last edited by T-Duke; February 24, 2015 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will CA View Post
    Hey all,

This Thursday (alongside the Longbeards Culture Pack), we’ll be releasing an update for Total War: ATTILA. This brings with it many improvements; first and foremost, it eliminates torches as a means of destroying gates, so generals who have lost their siege equipment must rely on cold, hard steel to hack through. The update also brings with it performance and technical improvements, plus campaign, battle and balancing updates.

Much of this feedback has been collated from extensive communication with the community, and we look forward to seeing what you make of it later in the week.

Full details here: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Update

-Will CA

Outstanding news! Cheers, Will + dev team.

I've had a few unsavoury encounters with our flaming friends in Attila so this comes as an extremely welcome update.

Humour thread has just lost half of its material

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Poor Humble now he has to buy the game.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Crackus View Post
    Outstanding news! Cheers, Will + dev team.

I've had a few unsavoury encounters with our flaming friends in Attila so this comes as an extremely welcome update.

Humour thread has just lost half of its material
    You of little faith,

Basically what CA are saying is that it will be harder for the AI to take a city so rather then retreating it will use its best units in a last desperate attempt to hack their way in through a gate something which apparently is harder to do then burning the gate.

Good news for the player and goods news for the humour thread I would say.

Amd performance improvement ! Can't wait.

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Any chance of fixing the issue where AI goes as far as it takes on the campaign map to take out an enemy army/province. They are way too eager to leave their province defenseless and go to the other side of the map to fight some horde army.

Glad turn times are being worked on (especially that constant 10+s freezing).

Hey all,

This Thursday (alongside the Longbeards Culture Pack), we’ll be releasing an update for Total War: ATTILA. This brings with it many improvements; first and foremost, it eliminates torches as a means of destroying gates, so generals who have lost their siege equipment must rely on cold, hard steel to hack through. The update also brings with it performance and technical improvements, plus campaign, battle and balancing updates.

Much of this feedback has been collated from extensive communication with the community, and we look forward to seeing what you make of it later in the week.

-Will CA
    Great news, will!
    Now if you want say when the blood&gore dlc will come out.

Attila >>>>>>>> Rome 2.
    See if you put some effort in a game, and listen to the TWC community, this games sells itselfs.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Hey all,

-Will CA
    Well colour me shocked. I had all but given up looking back here as the circle jerk made it pretty hard to see. I never expected this... Well maybe 10% of me was vainly hoping...

However, does this mean the AI can STILL just chop its way into the gates now? Why not just have the battle end when all siege equipment lost? This is better and at least it is up to MTW original standards (that`s what happened in that), but still not quite MTW2`s more authentic siege standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Poor Humble now he has to buy the game.
    It`s increased the chances of me buying the game now I will confess.

By the way, people, this is why we WHINE and COMPLAIN. Without it, nothing is improved. Thank the whiners for the final removal of torches.

LexLuthor's Avatar Civis

This is the second time CA has quoted "Event Horizon"

- Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    It`s increased the chances of me buying the game now I will confess.

By the way, people, this is why we WHINE and COMPLAIN. Without it, nothing is improved. Thank the whiners for the final removal of torches.
    Honestly this is just a game so either torches or friction (lol) can cause the gate to collapse and I dont really care because I have more important things to worry about in my life.
    Well I am just so glad this retarded topic will not be spamming every thread in existence on these forums.

BTW, in M2TW the AI just retreated from the walls and stood there like an until you killed them.
    Or they broke one gate and everyone tried to go through that one hole... hardly that amazing.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So, this update only removes the torches from Attila and not R2? If that's true, it's a half-win...

Is the patch compatible with saved games?
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Can someone from CA explain why, after all the issues in Rome 2 they thought the torches would change when implemented in exactly the same way in Attila? Regardless atleast they are gone now, guess it's a step in the right direction

• Improved Battle AIs placement of units within settlements.

So that means NO more 5-7 units on one spot!.

Owh and also please reverse the auto tower collapse to normal and give towers just a amount of ammo and when depleted its also no threat but still usefull because now towers are a joke why capture if they collapse i dont anderstand the logic of this feature CA, So please hotfix that too...
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo11 View Post
    Can someone from CA explain why, after all the issues in Rome 2 they thought the torches would change when implemented in exactly the same way in Attila? Regardless atleast they are gone now, guess it's a step in the right direction
    I'm not from CA but I imagine it's because it wasn't done in time for the release date so they just kept the Torches in until this was done.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    You know, they could just make it so once an attacking army cannot breach the walls via realistic means the battle is over. This was in a game 10 years ago, end of story. No it doesn't make sense, it's impossible to break down a giant metal gate with axes (it would take weeks) whilst standing exposed in the heat of a battle. We don't want a historical battle simulator (mods can help that), we want features that are relevant to reality.
    While we are at it
    It makes no sense elite units can be trained in TWO SEASONS.
    It makes NO SENSE that it takes me a WHOLE SEASON to change an edict
    It makes no sense it takes a WHOLE SEASON to assassinate someone
    Also you never played M1

oh wait that's right it's a game.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; February 25, 2015 at 01:50 PM.