Thread: Mod idea: Adjustable unit upkeep costs and rewards

Libertus

Icon3 Mod idea: Adjustable unit upkeep costs and rewards

Good morning ladies and gentlemen!

I am currently reading Iulius Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico and while reading it I had an interesting idea for a mod (since I have no experience with modding at all, I have no idea if this is actually possible). When Caesar's army was attacked by Gauls while building their camp Caesar told one of his Legati to tell his legion that they will get high rewards for fighting bravely.

So I had the idea to add adjustable unit upkeep costs in three stages, adjustable via a slider in the army information screen, just like taxes. The three stages would all have different effects on the unit, also their could be a check box you can click on before going into battle to promise your units rewards.

The three stages:

1. Crisis (minus 50% upkeed costs)
    This is an option to survive financial shortages without dissolving your armies. It will reduce your armies moral and integrity. However this option is not thought as a long term solution as the penalties will increase with every turn, even affecting the combat skills and cause desertion and revolting.
    It would be nice if the penalties are dependent on your treasury and income so when you are very rich and have a huge income but only want to save money, the penalties will be much harder. Same goes if only one army receives less money but all others don't, they will realise this and lose more moral or even revolt.

A revolt could look as following: First you lose men by desertion and the next turn a rebel army appears with units of the deserting ones. These units will not be at full power, but will get reinforcements if the army loses more man due to desertion.

2. Normal
    This will not affect upkeep costs or unit stats.
    Exceptions:
    All other armies are getting generous payments, this will lower the morale and integrity of the army with normal paychecks and eventually cause revolting.
    The army was payed generously for a long time so getting them back to normal payments will cause a slight moral and integrity penalty, but these will fade as the army gets used to normal payments again.

3. Generous (plus 50% upkeep costs)
    This will increase your armies morale and reinforcement rate, but the bonuses will decrease over a few turns when the units get used to it. It is thought as a small reward after a battle.

Rewards
    This option is independent from the upkeep costs adjustments. It can be activated via a check box in the post battle screen (like night attacks). If you activate this you promise your units high rewards for a victory. This will give your units increased morale and increased attack damage, melee defence and rate of fire (not increased armour, shield, ammunition or battle speed, this would be unrealistic).

For a normal battle or a siege defence the reward would be that your units get all the taken prisoners to sell them or take them as slaves and a bonus payment after your victory of a turn worth of the armies upkeep costs.
    For a siege battle you promise you army to loot or sack the city.
    If you win the battle you will get a screen asking you if you want to pay the rewards. If you do, your army will get a small XP bonus for the fought battle (I don't know if this is actually possible) and increased reinforcement rates for two or three turns (in a siege attack you have to loot or sack the city to 'pay' the rewards and your army will get 50% of the money and all the slaves).

But if you do not pay the rewards your army will suffer heavily from desertion and revolt against you and other armies will hear of this and receive integrity and morale penalties.

I hope my idea is understandable, English is not my native language so if you have problems understanding what I mean, I am happy to answer your questions.

Tell me what you think about it and if you are a modder, tell me if this is even possible (if it isn't it would be something I want to see in a future TW).

Kind regards
    Wuktrio

Libertus

Default Re: Mod idea: Adjustable unit upkeep costs and rewards

Can a modder tell me if my idea is even possible?
    Or does anybody else have an opinion about it?

I think it sounds awesome, only problem is i lack the modding experience aswell. You should try to reach out to some of the experinced modders on the forum, by checking other peoples mods. Maybe some of them like the idea.

Libertus

Thanks

I try to reach modders with this thread, I don't want to ask around in other threads about other mods

But maybe I will try to mod a bit myself, let's see.

This is a very interesting idea. It's sort of like EU4's upkeep sliders, but with an additional "generous" salary mode. Presumably, it would make more sense to implement for factions fielding professional armies, rather than hordes, or at least make a differentiation between these. I would think this can be implemented at the very least as an army stance, if nothing else. Otherwise it may require scripting or something along those lines. Will look into this concept to see if it can be executed in a reasonable way.

Not a big fan of the 'Rewards' idea though, to be honest.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Presumably, it would make more sense to implement for factions fielding professional armies, rather than hordes, or at least make a differentiation between these. I would think this can be implemented at the very least as an army stance, if nothing else. Otherwise it may require scripting or something along those lines. Will look into this concept to see if it can be executed in a reasonable way.
    I agree, it wouldn't make sense for hordes, but the reward option could still be available to them.
    Thank you for looking it to it, this would be amazing if it works!

Not a big fan of the 'Rewards' idea though, to be honest.
    May I ask why? I'm not a historian, but I think letting your soldiers keep slaves or loot settlements for their own purses was not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuktrio View Post
    May I ask why? I'm not a historian, but I think letting your soldiers keep slaves or loot settlements for their own purses was not uncommon.
    I don't mind the basic idea behind it, but feel any bonuses attained should occur organically and reflect upon the situation. Ticking a box to up unit performance in the campaign is a little identical to using abilities to boost troops in battle. They would know to perform as their lives depend on it, and similarly, soldiers of an army would understand that they can attain loot from emerging victorious in a battle (this among other things like pursuit of fame being the reason why people throughout history chose to enlist) - besides I'd imagine it would be difficult to prevent at least a levied army from getting their share of loot after a battle, perhaps even a professional one.

Anyway, on the other idea, I'll see what can be done after dinner. It might prove to fill a much needed function in some instances, rather than disbanding forces.
    Last edited by Sheridan; February 25, 2015 at 11:01 AM.

Libertus

I agree, maybe it could only be available if you are being attacked and heavily outnumbered so your troops don't flee?
    Or as a pop up after a victory where the leader of an army asks your for a reward because the army fought well.

But if you inform me about the possibilities for this mod I would be really thankful!

I love this idea it sounds awesome. Although implementing it will be very hard from what I can imagine. I have very little molding knowledge but if I had to guess I you might be able to do it somehow through scripting but the easiest way to do it might be through army stances with one repressing either the lower pay and one the higher pay. This would allow you to implement both positives and negatives and would probably be easier then implementing a whole new mechanic into the game.

Libertus

Is it possible to add army stances or only to replace them with new ones?

I don't see why not I have no idea how to do it but mods like DEI and VV did it for Rome 2 so it should be possible for Attilia.

yeah we could totally change the stances, working on my own version right now, and got some good ideas from this thread

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Grizwald714 View Post
    I don't see why not I have no idea how to do it but mods like DEI and VV did it for Rome 2 so it should be possible for Attilia.
    DeI replaced the Forced March stance with the Patrol Region stance, but is it possible to have more army stances than four?

GourmetGorilla's Avatar Semisalis

I fear that this would require an awful lot of scripting. It's a fantastic idea, though!

Generous rewards [READ: lots of +Rep!] for the modder who accomplishes this first!

Started working on it yesterday but, quite unsurprisingly, the stances appear limited to four. For that reason using them would be difficult without changing the current ones too much. Would be interesting with a button like "exempt region from taxes" for army upkeep, or a slider, but that would require way too much work

Libertus

Started working on it yesterday but, quite unsurprisingly, the stances appear limited to four. For that reason using them would be difficult without changing the current ones too much. Would be interesting with a button like "exempt region from taxes" for army upkeep, or a slider, but that would require way too much work
    That's what I feared

Thank you for looking into it, maybe we can add army stances with the Attila Assembly Kit, but I guess not.