Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: - INVASIO BARBARORVM III -

Stealth4Health's Avatar Civis

Default Re: - INVASIO BARBARORVM III -

I am involved in many projects at the moment so I can't work at full capacity but I definitely want to continue with Attila so count me in.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Sounds great.

BTW I found out the Eras of Rome mod has a system of recruitment where you have to recruit from specific manpower pools, I'm gonna contact their team leader and once I figure out how to start scripting Attila, see if we can do that. That would work perfectly for the Roman recruitment in the 5th century.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Right, as noted I didn't manage to get anything done in December (or January, for that matter). I did finish my master's thesis though, so hopefully I'll have a bit more time to devote to modding now (although like Stealth, I have another project going on as well).

But I thought it was time to post a mini-update of sorts. Basically I finished the Iatrus helmet back in summer (adjusting the textures, fixing a few clipping issues with the neckguard and creating the missing LoDs), but since it wasn't really previewed here, might as well post it. I also finished the Augsburg variant recently (which is basically a reskin of the Iatrus), as well as further updating the textures of the Iatrus.

Here's how the helmets look ingame (worn by the pride of the Roman army, the brave "Dummy Squad"):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iatrus Test 1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	586.2 KB 
ID:	351194

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iatrus Test 2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	589.4 KB 
ID:	351195

The Augsburg variant has the paler shade of bronze (as well as being more decorated, though that is only visible up close), while the Iatrus is more reddish.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Spangenhelme with mail aventails were already in vanilla, right?

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Spangenhelme with mail aventails were already in vanilla, right?
    Some types yes, though most of them are 6th century (rather than 5th). Also the vanilla mail leaves a lot to be desired in terms of texture quality (and the helmets could be improved as well). There are a lot of much better versions made by the Judex Rex team for the various spangenhelms than what you see in the vanilla game.

I did do a bit of testing about improved mail textures back when I was working on this more actively, and the results were pretty good, so hopefully we'll be making use of those for the mail pieces. Though there's still a few things I want to try out like testing if the texture can be partially transparent so you can see through the rings, etc.

Edit:
    Though if you refer to the spangenhelms in the screenshots, those are indeed vanilla stuff (as is everything else apart from the Roman helmets).
    Last edited by Charerg; March 04, 2018 at 07:12 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Baldenheims all date to after 470 AD, they're more or less completely inappropriate for the Attila timeframe (390-460 AD).

Not to mention the fact that they're Roman helmets, the only Barbarian ones found are all gifts from the Emperor.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Baldenheims all date to after 470 AD, they're more or less completely inappropriate for the Attila timeframe (390-460 AD).

Not to mention the fact that they're Roman helmets, the only Barbarian ones found are all gifts from the Emperor.
    I've seen the claim that the Ostrogoths manufactured some helmets as well. The Staussen (within the territory of the former Thuringian kingdom) helmet for example was probably an Ostrogothic gift.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I think 2 were made in Italy but to be fair they're still effectively Roman. It's not like the majority of the population were Gothic.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I think it's faulty to limit the manufacture of helmets to the ethnic Romans. First, the Ostrogoths have a century-long tradition of heavy cavalry warfare, so why shouldn't they be able to manufacture armour on their own? Second, the Italian Ostrogoths were a direct continuity of the Roman culture anyway.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Well that's what I meant with your latter statement. With the former it would be inaccurate to say they "had a century long tradition of cavalry warfare." When Theodoric established the Ostrogothic kingdom in 493 the Ostrogoths had only been around for about 15 years and the Amali Goths for maybe 50.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I see. Nevertheless, where did you got your idea from that all, or the majority of all known barbarian helmets were Roman gifts?

I'd be happy to help you guys with making skins, that is if you would take me.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ringoffire View Post
    I'd be happy to help you guys with making skins, that is if you would take me.
    Atm we're working (sporadically, I know) on creating a unit pack for the Roman units. Tbh our organisation is a bit chaotic atm, since both myself and Stealth have been really inactive for the past year and so. However MMFA is kind of in charge of the project, so I guess I'll delegate it to him to determine what kind of resources need to be produced .

However, I'm not sure how much skinning work is around atm. We plan to create new tunics/shields etc. which will eventually need variant tunic patterns and shield decals. But unless Stealth has some completed pieces that could be reskinned, there aren't any finished right now. I guess there's still reskinning some helmets, like creating an iron skin for the Iatrus, but getting metallic textures right (reflectivity, tone and sharpness of highlights) can be fairly tricky, because you essentially just need to judge things based on experience, there are very little guidelines regarding what values each texture map should have.

That said, as far as I'm concerned anyone willing to help is welcome!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    I see. Nevertheless, where did you got your idea from that all, or the majority of all known barbarian helmets were Roman gifts?
    https://www.academia.edu/2540786/The...mellar_weapons

It's the general scholarly consensus.

However MMFA is kind of in charge of the project, so I guess I'll delegate it to him to determine what kind of resources need to be produced .
    I mean most of the default skins in Attila are terrible soooo...

So true about vanilla skins

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg
    so I guess I'll delegate it to him to determine what kind of resources need to be produced .
    OMG!

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    OMG!
    Yup, he has all the power now.

If you guys want, i can give an example of a VMD I've made, either using vanilla only or not. My Only skill is VMD making, although i am learning more complex things.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I am no expert in 2D art at all but feel free to talk to Charerg/Stealth if you want.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ringoffire View Post
    If you guys want, i can give an example of a VMD I've made, either using vanilla only or not. My Only skill is VMD making, although i am learning more complex things.
    Right, let me think a bit. For those who don't know, vmds are basically the text files that define which models/skins a particular unit uses (actually vmd editing is considered part of db editing, skinning would be making/modifying textures). And since in our case we'll have to first create the said assets before putting them to a unit, it's going to be a while before that comes too relevant. Although db editing in general is definitely something we'll need at some point (such as changing unit stats, morale modifiers and the multitude of other minor things).

Right now I guess you could make some sort of "mock up roster" of the units that are intended for the upcoming "Roman Units Pack" (outlined by MMFA in this post). What sort of equipment each unit has etc. Like I mentioned, the organisation isn't too great atm, but you can add me in steam (I'll send you a pm).
    Last edited by Charerg; March 09, 2018 at 05:05 AM.