Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellenika - Main thread

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Default Re: Greeks at War

Sure I'll just wait for that and then have a look around to try and see where I can help
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    Sure I'll just wait for that and then have a look around to try and see where I can help
    sent (on steam).We use steam group mostly were everything is categorized in discussions and stuff..You will get the feel of it

Spartan Preview

Logades Strategou: (This unit is the general unit. We make the conjecture that the general will pick his own trusted men along the homoioi and periokoi as his bodyguard in battle. We don't make hippeis(300) a general unit because then every general could have the hippeis as his bodyguard something strongly inaccurate. Maybe the player who want to p lay historical accurate will choose hippeis only for his kings (if we make 2 general units avalaible) but the AI will not and they will fill the map with hippeis. So the unit(you can see the king among them):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hippeis(the known 300): For this unit we set a cap of 2(one for each king). According to Plutarch among the hipeis were 2 men who were the king's bodyguards(not only in battle they follow him everyehere), they were usually won in olympic games, that's why they wear their kotynos(olive wreath) on their helmets and they carry the dokana of dioskouroi emblems on their shields. I manage to represent that, as you will see, by removing the st bearer from the unit and in his place and in officer's one, i made the two king's bodyguard with the dokana. I tried also in vain to find archaiological evidence of the rest of the unit shield emblems. I found though 2 nowadays representations of them. Both of them represent the king and his 2 bodyguards with with the dokana besides him. In the first one i saw the rest of the unit with various mora's emblems although in the second one the unit had shield emblems of heroic families of Sparta. I choose to represent them with emblems of the heroic emblems of Sparta for the reasons i will explain..
    Historically the 3 ippagretai(commanders of 100 men of the hippeis) choose who will join the hippeis with men among the mores and then they report to the ephors about their choices. We may presume that they choose the best warriors and of course the richest and best connected who usually are descendants of Sparta's heroic families,(this not mean that they were not fearsome warriors) who want to be close to the king as it happens everywhere in the world. Also hippeis was an honorary regimnet which somehow should be distinct from the rest of the army. Furthermore we use various mora and Λ symbols to 2 more units (logades strathgou and late Spartans) and it will too much to use the various mora emblems to the unit.
    For those reasons i choose to represent them with the Sparta's heroic symbols and i think i m not far from what historically happened.
    Another think i want to mention about this unit is that (i think Plutarch say that also) the first ranks of the hipeis wear tall crests on their helmets. Unfortunately i can't represent only the first ranks wearin it. So if the first rank(s) wear it then about 40-60 out of 300 wear it. So again i can't represent only the first ranks wearing it that's why i choose 60 men to wear it (2/5) to have a bit more tall crests in the first ranks. We can increase this number if you guys like it.. See for yourselves:

Now the homoioi (mores): Generally where you see lateral helmet is a representation of an ofiicer low or high ranking but i will explain the officer sys in the end. Also the soldiers you will see with Spartan heroic families emblems(about 10% of them exist) inside the units will have 90% lateral crest to represent again officers or high rankers. So
    Mora Amyclon

Mora Elous

Mora Geronthron

Mora Limnatidos

Mora Pylou

Mora Sparths

Mora Stenyclarou

Now the periocoi who along with the homoioi serve as heavy hoplites in the phalanx.

Skiritai: Highly respectable by all the Spartan society Skiritai serve as hoplites and as scouts in front of the main army when the king marches.
    Skirritai hoplites:

Skiritai katascopoi:

Periocoi hoplites

Neodamodeis: They were "new citizens" as their name means but rarely Spartans give them political rights. Although they receive a piece of land and land was the most notable asset of wealth in Spartan society. So land in Sparta means wealth and wealth means armor. The neodamodeis can bear a descent piece of armour to fight as hoplites. They were either helots who the Spartans honoured them for their great services or foreigners who serve Sparta (Xenophon himselfe was one of them. Agesilaos king of Sparta gave him land to honour as his friend and frind of Sparta). The most notable neodamodeis were the hoplites of Brasidas.

About the officers now.. I represent the Spartan military system with various ways(lateral crest and shields from heroic families). So inside the homoioi(mores) and periocoi units i gave to some men special helms and shields to represent them beside the normal officer of the unit who now is the famous lochagos. Lets start..

Moras lochagos: He command about 1/4 of the Mora and i made a unique skin for every mora bearing his mora's emblem

Periocoi lochagos: Lochagos of the periocoi regiments

Neodamodeis lochagos mainly commander of light troops

Penthcontarc: This one is the commander of about 50(the numbers varied from time to time) men. Although i did the maths correct to give only 3 of those inside the mora's regiments, I reallize that CA gave a bit of radomness in the variantmeshes system so you will find about 3(2-4) of them in every mora regiment representing the Penthconrch (fancy corinthian helm with distinctive lateral crest).

Enomotarch: Again the same as the penthcontarch, he is an inside unit, low ranking officer who commands 10-20 men(also the naumber varied from time to time). You will find (due to randomness i told you) about 15 of them in a unit.

And some fighting:

(The rest of the troops petasts/navy etc i will saw u in the proper preview)

P.S.1The ui you saw will not be included in the mod is Rafkos's creation for DeI i just use it for me.
    P.S.2 If any of you guys attempt to rep me you should also rep jjpower who helped me a lot and of course Morfeasnikos the great shield maker!
    P.S.3 This is not the final version. Some changes will happen such us shorter tunics.
    Last edited by M@x1mus; April 02, 2015 at 11:54 AM.

I never thought that this project would gather around it so many talated people.I owe all of you a deep salute and i promise our friends following us to provide the best possible historic mod of this time both in units as in campaigns mechanics to make you feel like having a.. time machine..

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

...................This is just too good.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

bloody awesome

Awesome. I suggest to give high crests to pylos helmets too. I posted some references in our private group

Thanks to all guys!
    @Tene i will see the and I will see what i can do.

You better do it

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Small teaser of the Immortals...

Ten Thousand Persians marching to war

I Like it very much Linke!

=ANTiKES='s Avatar Miles

yeah, his ims look badass!!

Great Persians and really great shields!!!

Badass! we are making a great job
    wohoooooooooooooooooooo

A corinthian helmet for generals

Last edited by jjpower24; April 05, 2015 at 04:00 PM.

Guys..Check the original and see what masterpiece JJ has created..
    (Tenerife's idea and source)
    https://scontent-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...4a&oe=55BCF759
    Last edited by Phalangitis; April 05, 2015 at 02:10 PM.

Bravo Gianni!

Bravo Bravísimo !!!

Great idea Mr. (T.) Boy!

Call me Tene
    Thanks youuu ^^