Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellenika - Main thread

Default Re: Greeks at War

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANICUS View Post
    M@x1mus

Thanks for taking the time to make this preview. The units are spectacular! I really like the new base color tones much improved over the vanilla. I have been using the ACR mod by Demokritos with the current P.P mod. And is was a great improvement on the vanilla colors as well.

I see that you have altered the coloration for ships as well!

It is hard to contain the excitement of what GaW will have on offer. This mod will be superb.

Alas if only the map could be expanded to include Sicily and the lower portion of the Italic peninsula ...
    Thanks a lot mate!
    All preview screenshots are taken using the ACR of Demokritos!! I build the new units on it! We will recommend it in the front page of the thread when the mod is released..
    My friend if Sicily was included then my dream would have became true!! But....
    Last edited by M@x1mus; March 05, 2015 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANICUS View Post
    A very appealing addition to the tactical aspect of the mod. I must confess that as my campaign as the Athenian Empire. All of my land battles have been fought on the Boeotian and Attican plains. I have not experienced a fight in wooded or hilly terrain.

How as this new mechanic functioned in testing?
    there are plenty of light woods in Attica mate from what i remember at least.Not many hills though.Generally in WoS map there are mainly forests and hilly forests not many plain hills and only 1-2 swamps i think.
    My aim was 2fold first some general effects from campaign map and special effects from battle map.
    Unfortunately in Battle map AI does not have the smarts to make use of the terrain in battlefield making the human player (who takes advantage of it OP).Also many effects in battle map dont work that well.So the alternative was to give weight to campaign map.This means that if you make your army stand in a forest then all troops in it take some stat penalties or bonuses.This may sound unbalanced at first but it is not.For example the goal is that in a rough terrain lighter troops perform better.Now lets take a heavy hoplite with 100 armor unit vs a light one with 50.In plain terrain there is massacre for lights (they kill 8-9 and loose 60-70 men).If we have the same battle in a forest and we give for example a penalty of 50% in armor (resembling bad defensive capabilities of the phalanx in rough terrain)
    the difference from 100-50=50 armor now is 50-25=25 armor.So in rough terrain light troops perform better.In even toughest terrain like hills they get a bonus to damage and in hills skirmishers take also bonuses to accuracy , range while in open terrain cavalry gets bonuses to charge.Till now it exceeded y expectations.My only wish is that CA could give us in WOS mor terrain variety..

@Phalangitis Thanks for a more detailed summary of how the campaign terrain modifiers will work. Opens the door to having larger contingents of light troops for defensive armies and makes conducting ambushes more worthwhile. It looks like you have succeeded in creating a unique facet for the GaW. I look forward to a trying a new approach to land operations.
    My comment about only have fought battles thus far in open level terrain is a reflection of the lack of diversity you pointed out in the WoS campaign map.

Is there a default unit size selection that the GaW mod will be using?

Awsome!!!

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Here I am too! Didn't know about this mod either! Guess I've missed episodes... Those Athenian units are beyond words! +rep Maximus!!!

@Tenerife boy
    @Ilis Hoplite
    Thanks a lot guys!! Very nice to hear good words from you!

Quote Originally Posted by M@x1mus View Post
    @Tenerife boy
    @Ilis Hoplite
    Thanks a lot guys!! Very nice to hear good words from you!
    Glad to see your work. So, what happens to the P.P. mod now? Is Greeks at War its evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Glad to see your work. So, what happens to the P.P. mod now? Is Greeks at War its evolution?
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by M@x1mus View Post
    Yup!
    Very nice. Very nice!

Update on diplomacy system..
    I spent these past 2 days testing and trying varius stuff.The current system is as follows..
    In vanilla there is a certain diplomatic penlty deriving from imperium.As you expand this is becoming bigger.This feature was removed to be replpaced with a more dynamic and accurate system.The new system gives an expansion penalty as a product of some parameters.These are land and army.
    1)Land-Regions.These are 3 types actualy
    a) Regions that cause Greek envy..
    Every region has a seperate "weight".My mod meaningful unique regions mod is revisited for WoS campaign map making many of the WoS regions carry a unique importance.These more important regions that give you some extra bonuses (like Lavrion silver mines or Delphi oracle etc) come with a bag of cats unfortunately for the player.Due to their increased importance they cause more diplomatic penalties.So if you like the army upkeep bonus from silver mines or the steady income from the treasury of Delphi oracle other big powers will not be happy that you seize them..

b)Regions that cause Persian alertness Lands close to Persia and important for their strategic agenda (like certain islands ,Hellispont etc) give big penalties with Persian faction.

c)Regions that inspire Greeks The rest of Greek world (like Macedon,Epirus etc) stands a bit further away from the war theater diplomatic hot scene but if they see you move aggresively towards Persian expansionism this may inspire them to follow you.(depending on other parameters as well of course).

All those above are based on historic texts of course and will be explained in detail uppon release.

2)Army-units.
    Now every new army will cause diplomatic penalty with others while less numbers will give you a diplomatic boost. ( the more power you take the more threat you become.).Of course each faction has a certain "tolerance" of army strength numbers. Super powers will grow weary if the see increased numbers Spartan or Theban armies while less cautious for Athens.

The Persian factor
    Persians liked Greeks divided so they fund super powers to build navies but as you grow stronger funding drops and finaly it gets reversed.So to buy a trireme when you have one fleet costs less to you than if you have 3 fleets for example.In this way Persians give a boost to the weakier while construct obstacles for the stronger faction as they actualy did.

More on mechanisms soon and more details uppon release.
    Last edited by Phalangitis; March 07, 2015 at 11:34 AM.

What a great job you ve done again on the effects mate!
    I think the player should read a big manual before playing this mod
    Truly a masterpiece for history lovers like myself!

Very nice Phalangiti!!!

News update people..
    We had a staff meeting yesterday with M@x1mus and morpheasnikos and we decided to expand the project.Thanks to Germans are coming and Kulturas (if i spell this right..) we have over 150 new linothoraxes and 100+ new tunics in our mod VM "treasury".All this "treasure" M@x1mis has started to implementing it into new units.Morpheasnikos offered to start making new shields for almost every single Greek city so we agreed to begin the process of implementing new units for every Greek city-state and enrich the mod with actual historic AOR (area of recruitment for those who are new to terminology..).
    This probably will delay us a bit more (not sure how) but i promise that all those units combined with the new mechanisms that are beeing designed and tested will make this mod quite an interesting challange we hope.
    More on this soon either from me or the other guys..
    Last edited by Phalangitis; March 16, 2015 at 10:16 AM.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Looking forward to this a lot. Probably going to be my best Rome II experience.

Looking forward for it as well. Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by Phalangitis View Post
    News update people..
    We had a staff meeting yesterday with M@x1mus and morpheasnikos and we decided to expand the project.Thanks to Germans are coming and Kulturas (if i spell this right..) we have over 150 new linothoraxes and 100+ new tunics in our mod VM "treasury".All this "treasure" M@x1mis has started to implementing it into new units.Morpheasnikos offered to start making new shields for almost every single Greek city so we agreed to begin the process of implementing new units for every Greek city-state and enrich the mod with actual historic AOR (area of recruitment for those who are new to terminology..).
    This probably will delay us a bit more (not sure how) but i promise that all those units combined with the new mechanisms that are beeing designed and tested will make this mod quite an interesting challange we hope.
    More on this soon either from me or the other guys..

THis sounds awesome take your time! The immersion with specific units for a bunch of cities will be unprecedented!

GRoote! This way more content then anticipated What a boon to the historical immersion that this mod will bring.

Thanks for the update Phalangitis

Awesome!!!!!!

AOR system has begun.We are in the proccess of choosing which historic city states will be represented with unique AOR units.After that morpheasnikos will construct over 50 new shield types distinctive for each city state and i am also pleased to announce that Linke an expert in Persia has agreed to help us making a historic Persian roster and a Persian unlock..
    So project gets bigger and hopefully better..
    Last edited by Phalangitis; March 17, 2015 at 07:56 PM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phalangitis View Post
    AOR system has begun.We are in the proccess of choosing which historic city states will be represented with unique AOR units.After that morpheasnikos will construct over 50 new shield types distinctive for each city state and i am also pleased to annonce that Linke an expert in Persia has agreed to help us making a historic Persian roster and a Persian unlock..
    So project gets bigger and hopefully better..
    Great news mate