Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellenika - Main thread

Default Hellenika - Main thread

General Mod information
    Mod Name: Greeks at War

Platform: Rome II TW Wrath of Sparta

Latest Build: Greeks at War Alpha (beta with mechanichs soon, maybe public)
    Mod Registry: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Greeks-at-War

Mod Goal:Greeks at War is a mod with the goal of creating an accurate, detailed, challenging and fun experience for the wrath of Sparta exponsion of rome II total war. The mods focus is on two areas, adding new thinking campaign mechanics and redoing all units in a detailed way. The mod was born out
    of the cooperation of the creators of the Peleponnesiakos polemos mod (Campaign mechanics)
    and Thoukydidus history mod (Units) for woS. Since then it has grown to encompass almost a dozen skilled and close modders working hard every week.
    Campaign mechanics: Phalangities campaign mechanics are on the major selling points of this mod:
    he adds a historical recruitment/Manpower system based on class and reserve troops, a system of rebellions tied into
    government style (oligarchy, Democracy..) replacing the civil war, and much more like redone agent system. And all the mechanics are based on thoukydidus account of the war. Here is an example

"-there are many changes in stances.
    1)Forced march is actualy removed and replaced with a “peace enforcing stance” where you force peace in a province by eliminating cultural opposition
    2)raiding promotes slave release of the target province or increased slave capturing after a successful battle (which in turn can be sold with a special sell slaves edict for money) ,loot income increase ,upkeep reduction (they find their own resources by pillaging ) ,hinder enemy province with expense to your own attack effectiveness (if you are trying to catch men alive you are less effective in killing) etc
    3) when navies are docked cost 0 money to urge you to keep your fleet docked as long as possible to simulate maintenance needed for ships."

The units: All factions will have unique looking units, for the greeks they are same kinds of troops but every city has it's own armor, shield patterns all historicaly based. Furthermore there are also more than 50 aor units. Some factions like the Spartans
    have more different units in their base roster then others. (all kinds of spartan mora..) Finaly the Persians also have a historical unit roster with 15 new units (including around 6 aor units avaible to others who conquer them). We cover many other things aswell. Go check our thread for more detail.

Unit examples (wip, old preview atm but gives you an idea)
    Athenian Preview
    ATHENIAN PREVIEW

I know it'm playing with sparta not Athens but these units will not be for Sparta

About Athens..

"At morning, all the city(Athens) and all the allies who were there, gathered to Peireus to enjoy the spectacle.... they came also to say goodbye to their beloved persons and they start to worry about them considering the dangers of this long journey, but when they saw the force gathered in front of them, they took heart again ..... because this force who is about to set sail, was the most costly, well prepared and the most impressive ever being assembled by a greek city state."
    Thoykididis Book 6 31,1-31,2 (Just before the athenian navy's departure for Sicily)

Somatophylakes Strategou (general's unit)

Pentakosiomedimnoi (wealthy Hoplites)

Hippeis (Triakosiomedimnoi/Horsemen)

Diakosiomedimnoi(Zeugites) Hoplites (Standard Athenian Hoplites)

Metoikoi Hoplites (Non Athenian residence of the city of Athens)

Thetes Hoplites (Poor/Lower class hoplites)

Epivates Hippeis (Triakosiomedimnoi) (naval general unit)

Epivates Zeugites (Standard Marines, yes they were almost naked in history)

Greeks at War Team
    Team Members: M@x1mus, Linke, Phalangitis, Morfeasnikos, JJpower, Tenerife_Boy ToonTotalWar, Hoplite of Illis ,Mausolos of Caria ,Hero of Sparta ,ANTIKES

Team's Structre
    (Currently..)

LEAD : We are a democracy here..We dont have project leader we are all project leaders.
    Our first priority is to be friends and happy with our work.Lets keep a healthy creative environment

DEPARTMENTS

-CAMPAIGN MECHANICS
    Head: Phalangitis

-UNITS HISTORIC APPEARACNACE-VM'S
    Head: Blondie (M@x1mus in TWC)
    Subhead: JJPower

-TEXTURING
    Head:Morpheasnikos
    Subhead: JJPower
    Members:ToonTotalWar

-3D MODELS-ANIMATION
    Head: comming soon
    Subhead (for Animation stuff): Phalangitis

-PERSIA
    Head:Linke

-HISTORIC
    Head:GFM Buchler (Mausolos of Caria in TWC)

-BETA TESTING
    Heads:ΑΝΑΞ (Hoplite of ILIS in TWC) -AND- [NOVA]Tenerife_Boy
    Member:Celtic Warrior (Hero of Sparta in TWC)
    Member:SCOOP (ANTIKES in TWC)
    Member:Ioanniskotsi

Old OP
    Greeks at war..
    This project started as an idea about a month or so ago. The original idea was to create a mod combining PP’s mechanics and morpheasnikos exceptional units from Thoucidides historical mod but it started to grow and draw many skilled people around it like m@x1mus ,junaidy and many others I will reveal in detail upon release because till now we haven’t decided what extra parts we will add..
    The changes..
    UNITS
    As I mentioned above Greeks at War will include more than 30 new units (morfeasnikos’s creationshttp://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ATE-26-01-2015) that M@x1mus has recreated and improved visually with many big and small historic details like accurate percentage of officers with their distinctive helmets among the hoplite troops within the phalanx formation or even the percentage of men wearing sandals according to their faction habits.
    CAMPAIGN MECHANICS
    PP’s various campaign mechanics (you can find them in detail here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...mos-%28P-P-%29) will be present but also many new one are going to be added plus some will be upgraded.

1. NEW EXPANSIONISM DIPLOMATIC SYSTEM.

1. Every region brings a diplomatic expansionism penalty. So if you aggressively expand you will face the dislike and envy of other Greeks.
    2. In PP there are some buildings that work better in oligarchy or in a democratic environment and their existence plays a role on your social structure.Now they have also a diplomatic consequence. If you are Spartan and promote a democratic life style your oligarchic allies will not be happy.Keep this up and you may find the alliance in ruins.
    3. To counter those diplomatic penalties you have 2-3 options.

1. To take allied missions they give you (like capture this region or destroy that army) and succeed.If you do you will earn a diplomatic boost.If you fail though more tension will happen so you don’t have the luxury to ignore your allies anymore
    2. Give gifts more often or honor your agreements which now give more diplomatic bonuses
    3. When you take a whole province you have 2 options.To spread some of the money gathered there among your allies for some diplomatic bonus or keep them for yourself or even impose extra “protection” taxes to gain more but create discomfort among your allies. These are being applied through 2 brand new edicts simulating exactly this.

2)NEW RECRUITMENT SYSTEM

In history every city-state got an initial combat ready troop pool.When these troops were depleted from fights, injuries etc new troops were recruited from population.
    In GaW we simulate exactly this.There is an initial troop pool of numbers close to historic numbers.These troops are recruited almost instantly with rec time of 1 but they are unique and cannot be re-recruited.Once lost in battle they are gone forever.The replenishment mechnanism is also disabled for human player.If you suffer losses you need to recruit a new unit and use that soldiers to replenish your casualties by merging the new unit with the old one..When the original troop pool gets depleted your only option is to draw new recruits from your population.These are identical units but they have a greatly increased recruitment time to simulate time needed for population numbers to recover. Of course the bigger your cities the smaller the time needed for recruitment . (more people-more adults–less time for recruitment). The effects of each city or town time in recruitment time are shown in PP’s manual under manpower system (here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...mos-%28P-P-%29). Also those new units are subjected to the old social system of PP so manage your manpower resources wisely and plan ahead to have ready and easily recruited reserve troops before your manpower gets depleted and find yourself exposed with the long recruitment times needed for reserve troops.

3)TERRAIN EFFECTS
    Now the terrain on the campaign map in which you place your army matters.
    Hills and forests give penalties to cavalry and hoplites according to their weight. (more for heavy less for lighter troops) due to uneven and rough terrain.On the other hand skirmishers thrive there ,so if you have a battle of 5 heavy hoplites vs 5 light or 5 javelinmen you will have different outcomes on different errains..So make your stand taking choosing your ground under consideration..

4)THE PERSIAN FACTOR
    In history Persians were funding the weaker party to promote the Greek civil bloodshed. So now every faction gets funding from Persians in the form of reduced naval construction costs.BUT when you grow stronger this funding gets diminished..

All those mechanisms above are untested in gameplay conditions and others subject to change.Please stay tuned for more feedback on the final version of the mod.Any member of the team will post some details on his area of work hopefully.

A time of release at this point is estimated to 2-3 weeks.
    Last edited by Linke; September 26, 2015 at 12:40 PM.

Default Re: Greeks at War

This very welcome news Phalangitis. My current campaign with P.P. has been one of the most enjoyable Total war experiences I have had in many a year. I have been using several additional mods for graphic and music enhancement. My experience as the Athenian Empire has played out in a most historical fashion!
    The release of GaW sounds like it will be a very exciting step up!

My thanks to the GaW Team. Good work me fellers!

The new mechanics are awesome team ! wow i cant wait to see them in action !!!
    and i am very happy that was a party of this team, and all the mods that was a part of them in the past.
    Last edited by morfeasnikos; February 25, 2015 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by morfeasnikos View Post
    The new mechanics are awesome team ! wow i cant wait to see them in action !!!
    and i am very happy that was a party of this team, and all the mods that was a part of them in the past.
    Supportive comments are always welcome but from team members like yourself dont count!!

initial tests of terrain effects were exceptionaly good.Further testing is needed though and if all goes as planned i will soon post pics here to see them in-game.
    Unfortunately i am facing some technical issues with my pc and i cannot work these days but i hope all will be solved soon so we will catch our "deadline"

=ANTiKES='s Avatar Miles

i would love to have a reason to load rome2 up again

Quote Originally Posted by =ANTiKES= View Post
    i would love to have a reason to load rome2 up again
    This mod will be worth it. The upcoming photo's to be shown will have you hooked stay tuned!

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Fully support! Great team and great mod

Wish you the best, thread suscribed

Thanks a lot people!! anyone here knows how much important is the moral support you guys are giving us..

P.S.The only good thing with my technical issues is that it gives me time to read some books on diplomacy on Peloponnesian war and maybe they will give birth to a new idea or so on this area..

Big breakthrough guys...
    I was talking with Magnar about battle mechanics and a great idea was born after some pointers he gave me..I think (i am almost sure) there is a way to make phalanxes pushing eachother on battle and the heavier push harder..

I cant wait to fix my rig and start testing because with this Hoplites are complete i think.With the new system hoplites can use their weight to slowly advance pushing lighter units away..
    I am just so excited..i had to share..

Quote Originally Posted by Phalangitis View Post
    Big breakthrough guys...
    I was talking with Magnar about battle mechanics and a great idea was born after some pointers he gave me..I think (i am almost sure) there is a way to make phalanxes pushing eachother on battle and the heavier push harder..

I cant wait to fix my rig and start testing because with this Hoplites are complete i think.With the new system hoplites can use their weight to slowly advance pushing lighter units away..
    I am just so excited..i had to share..
    OMG!!! Fix your PC Phal!! Fix it quick!!!

Salut! Phalangitis
    The excitement and anticipation is contagious
    I hope your enhanced hoplite battle mechanic's/animation turn out the way you hope. I have noticed an animation bug during battle. When units are engaged and grinding away at each other after some minutes the rear rank figures start to vibrate and shudder. I am not if others have this happen as well.

P.S. Do not forget to include the 12 TPY option for the upcoming you mentioned before.

I too have been enhancing my understanding of the struggle I started Donald Kagan's Epic four volume history.

Once again my thanks to you and the GaW team.

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANICUS View Post
    P.S. Do not forget to include the 12 TPY option for the upcoming you mentioned before.
    Don't worry mate we will not.

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANICUS View Post
    Salut! Phalangitis
    The excitement and anticipation is contagious
    I hope your enhanced hoplite battle mechanic's/animation turn out the way you hope. I have noticed an animation bug during battle. When units are engaged and grinding away at each other after some minutes the rear rank figures start to vibrate and shudder. I am not if others have this happen as well.

I too have been enhancing my understanding of the struggle I started Donald Kagan's Epic four volume history.

Once again my thanks to you and the GaW team.
    hey germanicus.sorry i personally never experienced something like that in rear rows. occasionally I someone got a heavy push many rows back but not shuttering. I had some reports though from others antd toontotalwar I think but the issue is not constant and not to all players for some reason. will look into it. also whatever you find in your reading feel free to share and if we can implement it we will. gaw is open for all

Quote Originally Posted by M@x1mus View Post
    Don't worry mate we will not.
    Splendid! my thanks M@x1mus. I feel the 12 TPY will be better suited to the campaign movement ranges for fleets and transports. And make the winter months crucial for resting and refitting units. And enhance historical operational planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalangitis View Post
    hey germanicus.sorry i personally never experienced something like that in rear rows. occasionally I someone got a heavy push many rows back but not shuttering. I had some reports though from others antd toontotalwar I think but the issue is not constant and not to all players for some reason. will look into it. also whatever you find in your reading feel free to share and if we can implement it we will. gaw is open for all
    Will do! Thus far the mod has done well to improve the unique social/political aspects of the War. And I look forward to you new additions.

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Very good mate !!!

When the mod is ready for campaign testing, i will start working on that, its should not take to long to port the CAI part, but i will need ask you several detail. Regarding the faction itself, unless you want go by "mine" default setting
    Last edited by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze; February 27, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Ok guys a theban units preview will follow..
    But first i would like to say a huge thanks to the guys bellow who help us and let us use their own awesome work.
    A big thanks to:
    Koultouras and TWH team,Aquire,Lord_Buio,BigBadwolf,VINCXIII,Meneros and Avetis
    Thanks so much guys
    ! Proper credits will be given to you when the mod is released!
    (Morpheasnikos is part of the team if you wander why we don't give credits to him)

About Thebes..
    "They put on their white helmets(the Thebans), polished their shields and spears. Their allies show them took heart and start paint their shields white with clubs, as if they were Thebans and ready themselves for battle."
    Xenophon Hellenika Book 7 before the battle of Mantineia

Phroura Boiotarchou (general unit)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ieros Lochos (Sacred Band)

Thebaioi Hippeis

Boiotoi Promachoi

Thebaioi Hoplites

Orchomenioi Hoplites

Thespieis Hoplites

Boiotoi Hoplites

Most units have some men(about16-20) with distinctive helmets(For Theba the chalcidian helmet with painted sqares on it and tall crest) to represent the lower ranking officers inside the units.
    Last edited by M@x1mus; March 05, 2015 at 05:51 PM.

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

This using Wrath of Sparta Campaign map right ?
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast