Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immigration - does it ever decline?

Darth Pooh's Avatar Civis

Default Immigration - does it ever decline?

Hello, everyone, so I'm in about turn 40 in my WRE campaign (normal diff). I really enjoy my desperate struggle and I haven't lost a single region yet. The atmosphere of this TW game is fantastic I have to say. But there's a game breaker for me - immigration. In all the 80 cities I own there are 90% of immigrants. Even with WRE bonus I get -9 public order. First I though that it will go down but it won't and it's really annoying. There's nothing I can do about it (this one WRE edict I can use is nearly useless, cause all my regions are suffering from heavy immigration). I raised a few new legions in the less orderly provinces which crippled my income, but alas they aren't enough. I've built all the public order buildings but this thing will kill me eventually. ERE is burning down because of Sasanid & Co onslaught and it may be the main reason of such huge levels of immigration, but 90% really? Did anyone even live in my settlements before? Imagine my dissapointment that after many hours of amazing gameplay I'm gonna die because of this mechanic . Any words of wisdom for me?
    Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're a/an (insert a censored word ).

Default Re: Immigration - does it ever decline?

Yeah... immigration goes berserk. And I can not find any real info or guide on how it works anywhere.

Me neither. I googled and searched the different forums but apart from vague pieces of advice I figured out on my own anyway, I couldn't find how does the whole mechanics work and how long does it take to go down. What annoys me the most is the sheer impossibility of the 90% immigration across the whole WRE. I think there might be something buggy with immigration, because these numbers can't be serious.

You've just not noticed the two ways to decrease it, but don't worry they take a while to spot. First you must realise immigration never drops without player intervention, at least for the Western Roman Empire it will increase indefinitely unless managed.

Your options are: Number one, governors, they can decrease migration through one of their edicts. This edict slowly reduces immigration in a province till it hits 0. Use this in high conflict areas, immigration increases more rapidly in provinces near conflict. Also use it in areas with very high immigration, the highest I think is -9, use the governor to get it under control quickly.
    The second option is easier due to less micromanagement but it can be hard early on to balance, it's high taxes. Both of the Taxes above the default drop immigration across your entire empire. The first heavy taxes gives an additional -6 public order with the second giving an even heavier -10. The first stage should be fine for immigration reduction purposes, it pulls in more cash and will quickly drop immigration to low numbers while making you extra money.

A mix of bursts of high taxes, combined with governors in more war torn areas should allow you to keep immigration manageable.
    Last edited by the herald; February 23, 2015 at 04:23 PM.

Some factions, like the Saxons, have buildings that combat immigration.

Do the Romans have any though?

I have had immigration of upto -28 in some of my provinces. Nevertheless, I will try out your advice, Herald. Thanks.

Armageddonn's Avatar Decanus

Can anyone please make a mod that makes Immigration 50% reduce in penalties, that would make the roman empires much better and basically end the player frustration.

VaeVictis's Avatar Miles

I have seen buildings that help reduce immigration. I noticed immigration start to soar as soon as there was any form of conflict in the province. My inner provinces far from the front lines do not seem to be effected.

Herald: Thank you very much for your advice. I should have started doing this sooner, but hopefully my Western Roman Immpire will recover, 'cause I don't want to start over just because of this. I guess I learned the hard way

Ecthelion's Avatar Great Ramen Connoisseur

The primary factor in local immigration is nearby wars. Sacking, or other damage to settlements causes this.

As the ERE it's not as game breaking. But taxes are definitely the best option to combat it.
    This is my signature. Isn't it awesome?

Ecthelion: In my campaign all the fighting takes place in the east, my WRE is a peaceful place, no roaming hordes, all the bordering barbarians are either bound by treaties or outright subjugated, the only serious fighting takes place in Britain where I rip invading vikings to pieces, so the high level of immigration in my provinces must be caused by my faction trait "Constant Immigration". I can try Herald's advice but frankly speaking I'm a bit dissapointed. WRE is already hard to manage (and it's great fun and I don't want to change it), but I find this particular mechanic rather annoying. There're challenges in Attila that I love to face - enemy armies, famine, religious dissent, sanitation, politics, diplomacy, you name it. But the way I see it battling the immigration is more like a chore than fun. But it's only my opinion and it may change after I'll try Herald's suggestions
    Last edited by Darth Pooh; February 24, 2015 at 01:35 AM.

So. Long story short. I tried. But high taxes didn't change anything and I can't afford very high taxes, 'cause it's game over (half of my settlements would rebel instantly). The immigration edicts certainly work, but I don't want to constantly change governors and anxiously watch the ever growing numbers every turn, I already have a job and don't want another one, I play games for fun and relaxation and I don't want to end up as an Imperial immigration officer. So I'll get back to my ERE campaign and hopefully they'll change this mechanic a bit in future patches. The game is still great and I enjoy it very much. I'll have to save Rome another day.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

You basically need war-free stability.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Damn another xenophobe thread !
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Please note that CA had reduced immigration penalties for difficulty level below very hard (-2):
    Difficulty

-1 False att_effect_public_order_immigration faction_to_province_own -25
    0 False att_effect_public_order_immigration faction_to_province_own -40
    1 False att_effect_public_order_immigration faction_to_province_own -50
    2 False att_effect_public_order_immigration faction_to_province_own -60
    3 False att_effect_public_order_immigration faction_to_province_own -80

You only receive full penalties at very hard difficulties

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	???.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	321620
    Quote Originally Posted by Armageddonn View Post
    Can anyone please make a mod that makes Immigration 50% reduce in penalties, that would make the roman empires much better and basically end the player frustration.
    Here you are, pls report if not workingFull&Half_immigration_penalties_Removed.zip

I think the best way to solve this problem would be for CA to change the WRE cultural trait and remove "Constant Immigration" completely why keeping the 50% reduction of immigration penalties. These traits are supposed to be positive don't they, while constant immigration is basically a game killer.

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

I don't think so. I had an immigration income of +22 to +44..... in my current Dane campaign...... the campaign where I don't keep a home province..... the one where I burn everything..... the one where my nation is permanently at sea.

Like some weird combination of Waterworld and the Mariel Boatlift.

all you gotta do is raise taxes for a while. I had 15 immigration in some of my cities due to nearby war, Just raised taxes for a couple of turns and it soon dropped to manageable levels. the immigration drop out weighed the penalty for taxes in some cases and my public order was still in the green

This game is a pile of garbage again. I don't think, I will ever buy another TW game anymore. I just recolonized a razed town and now like 3 turns later I'm already at -53 PO because immigration gives the town -17 per turn alone. IN WHAT UNIVERSE MAKES THIS SENSE? It is a NEW city, OF COURSE there will be immigrants, there NEED to be immigrants and WHY would that reduce PO so massively? Why would a newly founded city close to enemy borders EVER revolt?

This whole system is such idiotic nonsense. Of course every building that produces something, reduces PO at the same time, because...reasons. It is just a convoluted, counterintuitive, pointless system, that the game doesn't need and only makes it more and more tedious to play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast