Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Attila - DEI combat overhaul - 0.65 (05.06.2015)

Default Re: Attila - DEI combat overhaul - 0.3 (28.02.2015)

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Yes, as long as you use my file it does not matter if you play on ultra or large unit size. Of course battles might be a bit faster with smaller units size, but that one is pretty obvious I guess ; P
    Thanks man

Crappy's Avatar Civis

What do you guys think of the approach this mod took to unit upgrades? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...eplacement-mod

Senator

One of the better approaches imo. Keeps the tech as an element, I like this better than binding the units to buildings. Here is another mod from thehiddenedge trying this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-unit-variety and also a discussion with masterofseppuku (don't use such complicated forums names ).

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Good news, I've finished stats of Franks, Goths, Alans and Vandals, only Huns left I still need to give those units cost rebalance, but it looks like we will have full unit roster rebalance done this week
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Hadro's Avatar Civis

awesome!

CPU:
    i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz OC (Cooler master hyper evo 212)
    Mobo: Asus Z87-a
    GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC edition

Good news, I've finished stats of Franks, Goths, Alans and Vandals, only Huns left I still need to give those units cost rebalance, but it looks like we will have full unit roster rebalance done this week
    Good job. Loving it so far.

Good! Gothic warband is a bit too op right now, looking forward the new version! Thanks for the effort!
    Another ting, i saw some mercenary germanic pikes, i dont know if you want/can remove them too.
    Balance the Huns too please, they have very poor armor, but the units look well armored, or at least better than 3...
    Last edited by gregnaar; March 03, 2015 at 07:58 AM.

Amazing. Now you'll finish this just in time for the longbeards DLC to be added! (Dunno if it will actually add new units, or just make them playable?).

Also hoping the update does not mess up anything. I can't wait to finally start a serious campaign!

KAM2150,

I enjoyed the Rome 2 mod and only have one question for this one, will DL in a bit. Im not liking the way battles are playing out on Attila seems different than Rome 2 too many heart attacks and boring combat, In this mod have you tweaked to increase the kill move and other animations up a bit?

I also appreciate the longer combat thanks.

So I just had a defensive siege battle with the Sassanids against the Kartli. They destroyed my main gate and swarmed in there. What surprised me was that neither my defending nor his attacking infantry got real kills, 10-20 max. At some point I had my Persian Camel Raiders swing around the city and attack the units at the gate house into the rear. They hands down won the fight within a minute, racking up over 1k kills without losses worth mentioning. Could it be that you've slightly overdone some bonuses? I mean, it was awesome...but it ended the fight way too early.

I'm also having trouble figuring out archer damage. On paper heavy shot just does more damage than standard shot and since you took AP out, how does it work now? Are the paper values right and I should just shoot heavy shot at everything?
    Edit: Not saying taking out AP was a bad thing, vanilla Persian Archers with their flat 5 AP damage on top of their standard shot was way too strong for an early unit. Also, if you need some specific feedback, I played a Geats game with DeI to turn 150ish and I'm planning to finish this Sassanid campaign although right now I'm just 30 turns in.
    Last edited by Zhokar; March 03, 2015 at 12:41 PM.
    "I'm playing the damn bongos and the world can go to hell."
    - James Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Zhokar View Post
    Persian Camel Raiders swing around the city and attack the units at the gate house into the rear. They hands down won the fight within a minute, racking up over 1k kills without losses worth mentioning
    Units pushing/moving and trying to run past other units have 0 defence value. This may be how the Camels racked up so many kills.

My thorghts on seiges/town attacks is that towers are burning my own town down and would like the fire arrows removed as it effects town defenders morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhokar View Post
    On paper heavy shot just does more damage than standard shot and since you took AP out, how does it work now? Are the paper values right and I should just shoot heavy shot at everything?.
    I Also dont see the point of heavy shot unless it has actual AP in its stats. Fires slower and without the AP on heavy shot standard is always better, overall more damage per second and more shots at targets before they reach combat in which you then switch fire to another units. I also think AP should be added to axe units even if its a small amount (+3), it makes sense as they hit twice as hard as a sword in real life. Why take axe units over units with armour and swords.

Oh, right, totally forgot about the reload penalty, thanks for pointing that out.
    - James Dean

Patrician

There will be no AP, end of the subject. It simply breaks the game unless it serves some realistic purposes like in case of Roman tactics for which I gave Romans 1 AP in DeI (since Romans prefered to wear down their enemies slowly).

Axes simply have higher attack and that already gives the the advantage since even if armour blocks the hit, more HP points will be taken anyway, hence what good spearmen will do in 4 hitting strikes, light axe guy can do in 2 strikes if he is lucky. AP in the way CA did it is simply fantasy crap-axe-slice-through-all-armour-the-same-way BS. That is why 1 point is max and I don't see any formations in that era using weapons and tacticts that would justify it.

The same goes for Heavy Arrows, they have simply higher damage, but longer reload rate. Again, the do not need magical AP, since they can simply do more damage by having more basic damage.

orsos, heart attacks are general animations in Attila are much inferior to Rome 2 animations or Shogun animations, at least till they will release blood and gore, but even without blood and gore, vanilla Rome 2 had better animations. Here it seems that taking heart attack completly out is impossible as other modders tried and failed.

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

There will be no AP, end of the subject. It simply breaks the game unless it serves some realistic purposes like in case of Roman tactics for which I gave Romans 1 AP in DeI (since Romans prefered to wear down their enemies slowly).

Axes simply have higher attack and that already gives the the advantage since even if armour blocks the hit, more HP points will be taken anyway, hence what good spearmen will do in 4 hitting strikes, light axe guy can do in 2 strikes if he is lucky. AP in the way CA did it is simply fantasy crap-axe-slice-through-all-armour-the-same-way BS. That is why 1 point is max and I don't see any formations in that era using weapons and tacticts that would justify it.

The same goes for Heavy Arrows, they have simply higher damage, but longer reload rate. Again, the do not need magical AP, since they can simply do more damage by having more basic damage.

orsos, heart attacks are general animations in Attila are much inferior to Rome 2 animations or Shogun animations, at least till they will release blood and gore, but even without blood and gore, vanilla Rome 2 had better animations. Here it seems that taking heart attack completly out is impossible as other modders tried and failed.
    They can reduce them significantly though like in this mod.

Patrician

Since new patch is being released tomorrow I might push new update for Thursday so it will include new units too. Man, those Hunnic cavalry unist are sooo bad, they are complete mess and mix, like leather armour wearing horse archers with daggers in melee cav, all melee cav having 3 armour, do not matter if they have 0 armour of super armour. I also gave Hunnic Devil Cavalry half cataprhact armour since their ranged clone has it.

In general, Huns could lose about 1/3 of their cavalry units and it whould have ZERO impact of their gameplay.

Quick DLC question, KAM: Now that the Longbeards faction DLC is live, should I put my campaign on hold? You said upkeep and recruitment costs were close to vanilla, so am I right to expect just a modest change to the campaign or are the new factions likely to steamroll or die horribly?
    - James Dean

The mod needs an update. The old starpost and db files make the new factions not appear or crash
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Also make sure to remove catapults and dogs and such from the new dlc factions.

What they did in attila was something a lot of us prefer though. We wanted less drawn out over dramatic animations and more multiple units attack one at the same time. This is what happens in Attila, its not perfect but its better in my opinion.

Anyway, the mods great so far. I just put dogsholdiers special ability unit phases table in so i still had his shieldwalls but with your balance, its perfect.

Also, what do you think is wrong with the fatigue in vanilla? It seems like the best fatigue thats been in a vanilla game so far unless there are some glaring issues or silly things left out that i havent seen in the pack files. I like the quick recovery and fast fatigue but Its easy to take advanage of the AI because of it so it just needs toned down a little in my opinion.

Been waiting on this for a while to finally start a real campaign, and Fall of the Eagle comes out at the same time. Anyone who has tried both can give a bit of a comparison?

I tend to lean on KAM's side because I adored his experimental patch for DeI, but wondering about overall features (They seem to say that battle balance is very early stage on Fall of the Eagle, and thats the most important part for me.).

EDIT: Upon further investigation, I've come to the understanding that I may be better using KAM's mod, and keep an eye on Fall of the Eagle as it gets more polished to see where they are headed.
    Last edited by krunsh; March 04, 2015 at 11:00 AM.