Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [MOD] Jin-'s reduced campaign movement range

Icon1 [MOD] Jin-'s reduced campaign movement range

OBSOLETE mod. Was hard work and there were better ways in other mods

Hi,

I present you Jin-'s reduced campaign movement mod.
    This is my first mod ever. Keep it calm.

Quick info

- Reduces movement points in Campaign map, all units.
    - Makes the game lot longer
    - Makes movement tedious without forced march (familiar for DeI players, except forced march here is similar to DeI's normal)
    - Roman Empires should stand longer, but not guaranteed. I don't know anything about AI handling. But this gives them more time to react.
    - Attila atm is in around child age when when Huns start roaming on Roman lands, not like in Vanilla when Romans are destroyed before Attila is even born.
    - No super duper fast naval invasions
    - No settlement jumping
    - Movement varies depending how the current weather is
    - Prepare your whole army to push artillery on bad weather

NOTE! No Prologue support!
    NOTE! People with AI issues, like it does not be aggressive or won't attack at all. Try to use this mod Better Aggressive CAI by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze with my mod.

Description

Intended to make campaign movement more stratetic. No more jumps from town to town capture style.
    Forced march is must if you wan't to get quickly from place to place, this is intended. You have to hurry if you are attacked from other side of the Empire.
    Ship movement reduction is there mainly because of Celts and Nordmen. Their AI is overpowered compared to other AIs.
    They have bases at corners of the map which makes it painful to get rid of them while it is easy for them to attack fast because of large amount of movement points.
    Literally they can always leave their homes undefended and focus 100 % on attacks, this is now changed.
    Another reason for this mod was because of Goths and Huns. Eastern Roman Empire AI cannot handle them, because of their jump to raze tactic. Raze one town, jump to another and raze it.
    Now there is some turns time before they can get to another town.
    Same goes for Western Roman Empire, in Barbarian Invasion it was very hard because of economy and instant bankrupty. There is no real bankrupt in Warscape games, CA added just debuffs if you don't have any money.
    WRE is hard because of fast moving mini tribe barbarians. They should be the minor reason for fall of Rome.
    I don't try to make WRE any easier, but it did not fall because of only barbarians like in TW Attila, it fell down because of politics, economy, corruption and barbarians.

Installation

- Drop it into Attila data folder

Change log 1.2

- Longbeard patch update

Change log 1.1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Made Radious unit mod version
    - Reduced Naval penalty by 15%
    - Increased unit movement points by 15% in order to try to activate AI's passive actions
    - Increased artillery movement points by 15% in order to try to activate AI's passive actions

- I don't take those movement increases lightly. I hate to do it, but lets see how AI react now.

Change log 1.0
    - Included seasonal system to original file. Now movement is also based on current weather
    - Naval forces working- Winter speed - 75-85 % depending how good the weather is
    - Autumn speed - 65-75 % depending how good the weather is
    - Summer speed - 60-70 % depending how good the weather is
    - Spring speed - 65-75 % depending how good the weather is

Change log 0.9 Beta

- Reduced foot soldiers movement by 40 %
    - Reduced cavalry soldiers movement by 40 %
    - New! Reduced artillery movement by 60 %

To do

- Increase movement in raid stance by 20 % from original 50 %
    - Increase movement in force march stance from 50 % to 60 %
    - Retreating army movement points reduced (Not sure)

Troubleshooting

Currently works with mods

- Fall of the Eagles, load reduced campaign movement first
    - Dresden seasons, load reduced campaign movement first
    - Any small mod as long as it does not edit campaign movement points of the units

Mod conflicts

- Anything which edits campaign movement points unit tables
    - Any additional units mod will need to be updated to use my movement values. If the mod is popular i might do sub-mod for it!

Other info

- Load it before other mods which edit same tables
    - Needs new game to work
    - Does not work in Prologue

Known issues

- [obsolete] Sometimes fleets are unable to leave ports
    - [obsolete] AI sometimes won't attack because it is stupid and passes all attacks which can't be done in 1 turn

How can you help me?

- Post link to this mod in official Total War forums for more people to see who don't know about TWcenter. I am IP banned on that site.
    - AI might be very passive in some cases because dat fool thinks it can't attack without attack being single turn only
    - I don't know how to edit stances Raid/Forced March
    - Sometimes fleets bug out and can't leave port
    - Army retreat movement points reduced
    - Armies have vanilla move points during summer without special weather

Downloads

Please use only one!

DOWNLOAD 1.2 Latest release for Longbeard patch
    DOWNLOAD 1.2 Latest release for Fall of the Eagles

Screenshot turn 30

Special thanks

- Theora
    Last edited by Jin-; August 16, 2015 at 02:28 AM.

Default Re: [MOD] Jin-'s reduced campaign movement range

Hey, just been poking through the packs looking to make some movement changes myself and I came across the campaign_ground_types db entry. I think that might let you make all your changes without editing any units, but i haven't tested it myself, do let me know if it works!

Velikii Kniaz's Avatar Laetus

Thanks! Very good with - 12 turns per year! More balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithrain View Post
    Hey, just been poking through the packs looking to make some movement changes myself and I came across the campaign_ground_types db entry. I think that might let you make all your changes without editing any units, but i haven't tested it myself, do let me know if it works!
    Hi,

Thanks, will try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessjw View Post
    Hi,

I present you Jin-'s campaign movement mod. (That's me, this site won't allow you to change username)

This is my first mod ever. Keep it calm.
    Congratulations on your first mod.

You can change your username here.

Quote Originally Posted by darkfng View Post
    Congratulations on your first mod.

You can change your username here.
    Thanks and thanks for the info

I'm playing with 12 turn mod and wrote my own campaign movement mod, but I'm running into the same problems with naval units. I think it has something to do with the duplicate keys in the naval table. I have no idea how to fix it though.

Until you figure out how to fix the Naval-unit table (had the same problem) you can use my mod. Reduces movement thru the season effects instead. Here

Quote Originally Posted by Theora View Post
    Until you figure out how to fix the Naval-unit table (had the same problem) you can use my mod. Reduces movement thru the season effects instead. Here
    Okay cool, how is artillery? I liked how artillery worked in earlier games, but here they have same speed as regular infantry -.-

The reduction is a percentage decrees on all land units and naval, everyone gets the same reduction disregarding witch unit. To make just artillery slower you still need to edit the land_unit table, fortunately you just need to edit that specific unit and lover the amount of campaign-points relative to vanilla numbers, and my mod will cut that amount in about 40-50%.

Little status update. I posted a screenshot how the game is looking at turn 30. I'm happy especially to see ERE not losing her Greece and Constantinople in early 5-10 turns.

Theora's helpful idea makes my future work much easier, especially because CA is starting to spam these culture packs, this would make updating my mod super tedious. After checking Theora's mod from the inside it follows same structure what the sub mod for DeI did and what i originally wanted to recreate, but chose this hard way because i had no idea how to implement this Weather system.

This eliminates the naval movement point issue also.

Next version

- I'm thinking about making 40 % to 60 % instead for the infantry, cavalry and artillery will be 65 % to 70 %
    - Moved to new system
    - Artillery still remains modified like it is currently
    - Naval forces are working properly
    Last edited by Jin-; February 23, 2015 at 10:19 PM.

I'm having trouble with normal weather when its not bad, average or good. It makes army/ships move like in vanilla.
    I don't know what tables to edit when there is no "special" weather in provinces
    Summer movement is bugged for me somehow. In one province my horde moves -66% like intended and in next province other horde moves vanilla style.

Screenshot

Code:
    att_bundle_season_summer_east_good      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -65    end_round_completed
    att_bundle_season_summer_north_good      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -65    end_round_completed
    att_bundle_season_summer_south_good      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -65    end_round_completed
    att_bundle_season_summer_med_good      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -65    end_round_completed

att_bundle_season_summer_east_bad      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -75    end_round_completed
    att_bundle_season_summer_north_bad      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -75    end_round_completed
    att_bundle_season_summer_south_bad      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -75    end_round_completed
    att_bundle_season_summer_med_bad      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -75    end_round_completed

att_bundle_season_summer_east_average      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -70    end_round_completed
    att_bundle_season_summer_north_average      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -70    end_round_completed
    att_bundle_season_summer_south_average      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -70    end_round_completed
    att_bundle_season_summer_med_average      att_effect_force_all_campaign_movement_range     province_to_force_any    -70    end_round_completed
    @Theora

This same happens on your mod also.

Example i made all summer seasons - 60-70% movement and they still move a lot when there is no event for special weather
    Last edited by Jin-; February 24, 2015 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin- View Post
    I'm having trouble with normal weather when its not bad, average or good. It makes army/ships move like in vanilla.
    I don't know what tables to edit when there is no "special" weather in provinces
    Summer movement is bugged for me somehow. In one province my horde moves -66% like intended and in next province other horde moves vanilla style.

@Theora

This same happens on your mod also.

Example i made all summer seasons - 60-70% movement and they still move a lot when there is no event for special weather
    I believe it might be because of some other +movement effect. After some testing I've come to the conclusion that every effect that ads or removes movement in percentage applies to the original number.
    Lets say a infantry has 3000 campaign movement points, my weather reduces that by -50% to 1500 points. Then we apply one more effect, forced march as an example witch gives +50%. This is also applied to the original 3000 points, witch then gives my infantry +1500 points. That means forced march makes the infantry travel 100% longer, not 50% as in vanilla.
    This was not intended... It could be fixed by altering every movement effect in game but then it might be some better way of doing it.

Yea noticed the forced march also.

I guess i just "hrrr" add my original values to this seasonal system. Almost double work, but game feels much better.
    Don't know any other solution, sadly it eliminates every possible custom unit and forces me to update mod whenever CA releases factions.

Unless some more experienced guy appears here and tells us what is wrong

Another possible way is that if there appears to be popular unit mods i might add them as sub mod to this one
    Last edited by Jin-; February 24, 2015 at 02:02 AM.

Mod version 1.0 is now released and downloadable

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

I'd like to carry over a question from the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by GODzilla View Post
    Sounds really cool, just a quick question: How does the AI cope with a mod like this? Does it kinda...calculate with the reduced range and changes its strategy, for instance in winter, or will it somehow calculate with vanilla values, therefore miscalculate and strand its troops in open land during hostile seasons?
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

Quote Originally Posted by GODzilla View Post
    I'd like to carry over a question from the other thread:
    Can it calculate that it can cross the snowy mountains if using forced march while it knows it is safe? No, TW AI is not bright sadly. But that is also problem in vanilla. In this case it probably won't cross the mountains and go other way around because it can go faster other way. But player knows how to use forced march and use it to rush over mountains. Still i have seen loads of barbarian stacks on the Rhine mountains razing my towns.

It handles basic behavior very well in my opinion. What i have seen is more that it keeps stacks together all the time while moving and hardly uses any forced stance.
    I don't know how AI works, but i have only seen improvements to its behavior during normal play.

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

Thanks. I will definitely try your mod. My experience with the movement on the rome II campaign map were pretty bad. Crossing Italy in one turn felt stupid. Now of course it kinda made sense because one round was one year. It still meant that your cities could be insta-captured out from nowhere.

In ATTILA, one round being 3 months, things should slow down. So thanks for doing this mod.
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

I hope it works for you!

Thanks a lot m8, well done! Question: How this mod work togheter with Dresden's "more meaningful season"?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast