Thread: How to Horde: A Horde Mechanic Tutorial for Those Who Need It

Ashu-Siralis's Avatar Senator

Default How to Horde: A Horde Mechanic Tutorial for Those Who Need It

So I think some people were struggling with the basics of how hordes function. I made a small five minute vid to help those that are having a difficult time with it. Hope it helps! I think I'll be making a bunch of these five minute tutorial vids about the different aspects of the Total War franchise.

Default Re: How to Horde: A Horde Mechanic Tutorial for Those Who Need It

ha ha ha

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Well done, concise, sufficient, and effective.

Excellent video, but doesn't sufficiently address Integrity. One passing mention about encampment increasing Integrity, but that hasn't been my experience.

Tried to go Horde with Ostrogoths. Just couldn't deal with the Integrity losses. Encamped or not, Integrity kept dropping, even when I moved armies far enough apart to avoid the Rivalry penalty. So I had to keep fighting and winning for the "won battle" integrity buff...but didn't feel like I had enough breathing room between battles to replenish a bit in encampment mode (which also didn't get me to positive Integrity trend). The encampment buildings also had "- Integrity" traits. I grabbed Sirmium to just become a normal faction; things have been going decently enough since then. But I still think I missed something essential mechanics-wise in maintaining a longer-term Horde existence.

Ashu-Siralis's Avatar Senator

Haven't played the ostrogoths yet, but a good way to see what is affecting your integrity is hovering over the integrity bar next to your general portrait and examining the numbers. Encampment gives a +5 integrity bonus, and general/army traits increase that significantly!

I've started almost 10 VHard huns campaigns and each time between the years 400-420 I end up getting stack attacked by 3 - 4 factions and losing my hordes.

What can I do? If I vassal they declare independence and come after me. If I don't hunt down the last remaining brigand on the map from a faction they form stacks and come after me. If I enter anyone's lands they come after me, if I stay somewhere to long they come after me.

Force march to Britain and hide?

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    Excellent video, but doesn't sufficiently address Integrity. One passing mention about encampment increasing Integrity, but that hasn't been my experience.

Tried to go Horde with Ostrogoths. Just couldn't deal with the Integrity losses. Encamped or not, Integrity kept dropping, even when I moved armies far enough apart to avoid the Rivalry penalty. So I had to keep fighting and winning for the "won battle" integrity buff...but didn't feel like I had enough breathing room between battles to replenish a bit in encampment mode (which also didn't get me to positive Integrity trend). The encampment buildings also had "- Integrity" traits. I grabbed Sirmium to just become a normal faction; things have been going decently enough since then. But I still think I missed something essential mechanics-wise in maintaining a longer-term Horde existence.
    General's skills, traits and attributes improve integrity. Each point in zeal above 3 improves integrity too. Then, there are horde buildings that improve integrity as well (lavish tents is the first thing you should build as a horde). Army traditions also improve integrity. Finally, not least, priests embedded in the army improve integrity. Regarding buildings: you should balance what you build there are many horde buildings that consume integrity.
    Last edited by Slaists; March 17, 2015 at 04:15 PM.

Libertus

Loved it. Quick, to the point, but full of good basic info.

Great work. Most tutorial guys could learn something from this.
    Though with the Dragon Age reference you have forever changed my image of Attila.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post

Thats why I heavily moded the Horde function, I removed the rivalry penaltys completely & the annoying -integrity from buildings.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Thats why I heavily moded the Horde function, I removed the rivalry penaltys completely & the annoying -integrity from buildings.

I guess, it depends what faction you're playing as. Playing as Huns, you have no problem with integrity since you get a ton from the multitude of wars you're at all the time; especially if Sassanids declare war on you.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

As Ostrogoth's horde, why can't my stack move after I sacked Antioch (the first settlement that I sacked) ?

Is it a bug or some features that I don't know about ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

I'll assume it's a zone of control issue.

1) Observe the red area around the city before attacking(enemies zone of control)
    http://i.imgur.com/b6ZuzD0.jpg?1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

2) Sacking doesn't use any additional movement(action points)
    3) If you sacked Antioch and can't immediately move, it means you used all your movement getting to the city

4) The zone of control is gone the turn you sack the city
    http://i.imgur.com/rfcjPNc.jpg?1

The zone of control returns on the next turn, providing the garrison has replenished somewhat(land/sea). If your within the zone of control you won't be able to move until you sack the city again
    http://i.imgur.com/rRwG6CN.jpg?1

5) If you don't want to be stuck in the zone control the turn after sacking, you should make sure there's enough remaining movement to get clear of that area after sacking. One quarter remaining movement should be sufficient, maybe a little less. If your remaining movement is low, you'll have to use your best estimate and hope you have enough left over to get clear
    http://i.imgur.com/Wg8IuLB.jpg?1

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Damn. Is that a bug/feature ? I just ended a turn and found that I can't move.

I guess this time I'll just burn the city to the ground..

Antioch would not be good for my capital anyway since the other 2 regions in the province already belong to Tanikhids which is currently my ally.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius