Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Version 2.0 - It exists but can it ever be released ?

Default Version 2.0 - It exists but can it ever be released ?

I have made a version for my own personnal utilisation. It is different from the public 1.4 version and way more enjoyable.

Since I don't have a moding team since very long time and limited 3d skill, I just integrated stuff from the best m2tw regional mods around and merged it in order to create an imersive world conquest experience.
    I also aded some stuff like French soldiers speaking French, same for German and others for example. I corrected bugs, balanced the units, reworked the tech three, slightly changed the map for gameplay purpose, etc.

However I face two major problems :
    - First : Even I compress the mod file, it is still more than 3GB ! I wonder if it can ever be uploaded somewhere and people be able to download it... It's nearly twice the size of the 1.4 version.
    - Second : As I said, I borrowed stuff from a variety of mods. If I want ever make it public I would first need their authorisation I guess, but these mods borrowed some stuff from other mods as well. This makes difficult to have the approval for every moded things borrowed, since there are people involved that do not longer belong to the twcenter and I might never be able to contact them.

What do you guys think ?

Treaper's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Version 2.0 - It exists but can it ever be released ?

I think you can try to gain permissions to use what you borrowed, but you can release at least some ctd fixes now.

AntonisTheGreek's Avatar Senator

Even I compress the mod file, it is still more than 3GB ! I wonder if it can ever be uploaded somewhere and people be able to download it... It's nearly twice the size of the 1.4 version.
    What if we made a torrent?

Quote Originally Posted by Treaper View Post
    I think you can try to gain permissions to use what you borrowed, but you can release at least some ctd fixes now.
    I already sent the permission requests, but it looks complicate to get them. Not because people dont want to share, but the game is old now and a lot of modders left the community.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonisTheGreek View Post
    What if we made a torrent?
    That would be an option, but we will need people to seed it as much as possible.

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Maybe you could try speaking to Gigantus or GED to let you release the mod, giving credits to everyone you used materials from, with a note that you will remove immediately their materials as soon as you are informed that they do not want to give you permission.

You could split the archive/installer into 2 or 3 parts and upload them to mega.co.nz , just needs a free account, 50GB storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipman View Post
    Maybe you could try speaking to Gigantus or GED to let you release the mod, giving credits to everyone you used materials from, with a note that you will remove immediately their materials as soon as you are informed that they do not want to give you permission.

You could split the archive/installer into 2 or 3 parts and upload them to mega.co.nz , just needs a free account, 50GB storage.
    Good idea vipman ! I will wait until next week-end to see if I get some answers... If not I will ask Gigantus

By the way, do you guys know a mod featuring Incans ? It's the last faction without completly remade units...

The only mod I can think of that includes Incas is Expanded Americas.But i'm araid that these Incas are just renamed Mayans.Check it out.I don't guarantee anything,however.

The only mod I can think of that includes Incas is Expanded Americas.But i'm araid that these Incas are just renamed Mayans.Check it out.I don't guarantee anything,however.
    Yeah.... I think they are just mayans too....

Sadly the incans will probably remain the most boring and unatractive faction of the mod... They are there mostly there to fill the south american continent.
    At first I wanted to create an unique native faction with units adapted to fight on mountains, desert and jungle. But they just look a bunch of native paysants.
    Last edited by falcom4ever; February 23, 2015 at 08:34 PM.

I wanted to share with you guys about the 2.0 changes. Europa and Middle East had no changes.

=Americas=
    I bringed little change to American factions since 1.4.

Aztecs have the best early units and share with Mayans a good economy.

While Incans are a little bit similar, they can later adopt cavalry and swords after few battles with europeans.

Apacheans are a totally different American faction beeing nomadics and as you know can capture horses and firearms.

=Africa=
    Mali is very close to other islamic factions in terms of gameplay, but have the particularity to have access to african knights which makes them a different game experience.

Zimbabwe is a pure subsaharian faction with very little muslim influence. They have no cavalry, but can gather huge armies of light but fearsome warriors.
    Changes were made mainly to the techtree and units stats.

=India=
    The two indian factions were improved.
    They still use a combination of light units and elephants, but they have now access to more armored units.

=South east-Asia=
    Srivijaya and Khmers faction policy hasn’t changed. Khmers rely on Elephants more than any other faction in the mod, while Srivijaya is a more naval faction. Both were improved in terms of units.

Khmers are really fearsome in my opinion. They clearly lack of heavy units and are too much specialized on jungle warfare, but their elephants makes them really dangerous.

=East-Asia=
    East-Asian theatre is very interessting in my opinion, because each faction has a unique approach.
    Song China has a great economy, good technology and lots of people to send at war, but they lack this “warrior thing” that makes the whole difference with nomads and Japan. Neverless, China is interessing to play, it has variety of units, access to firearms and will continualy be challenged by the nomads and later Khmers.

Mongols on the other hand is a pure nomadic faction. It can easily stack cavalry, however the infantry is less good. The geographic situation makes them a little bit under pressure than the other East-Asians.

Jurchens are a bit similar to mongols as they can stack cavalry as well, but they have better infantry. They are more under pressure than mongols.

Ryukyu shares some traits with China and Japan, but is more naval oriented. I considered changing Ryukyu for Korea, but after testing, as I expected for the gameplay, Ryukyu is more interessing. Korea would have ended cornered by Jurchens, China and Japan, while Ryukyu can defend themselves easily beeing “islands conquerors”. Instead I added Korean units to rebels and tried to make the peninsula conquest a bit more challenging.

Last but not least Japan. It’s in my opinion a great faction to play beeing a more balanced faction. In the 1.4 I felt that Japan was too overpowered early game. Now the early units arent as good as later sengoku Samurai, still they have the “warrior blood” in their veins. Later you get access to the Samurais sengoku style; Fearsome, but expensive. You get also access later for cheaper units like Ashigaru, which are important for a world conquest.
    Japan remains without proper siege units until Portuguese arrive and bring cannons and firearms. Hopefuly this balances a little bit Samurai’s power with the rest of Asia.

Treaper's Avatar Miles

I think that you could somehow make AI more agressive. In my last campaing which I played as Pope, almost nobody did something... I can bring some screens if you want but really, in parts of the world where I am not, nothing is happening. Lots of rebels, After 80 turns Poland has only one settlement, although nearby are two or three rebels... This is frutrating form me, that AI is simply too passive. So if you could improve it, I'd love it.
    And I'm glad that you are still improving factions

I am testing a possible implementation of XAI4 to see if its suitable for the mod (I was playing Incans, otherwise they would have taken south america). After 100 turns here is the situation.
    We see funny things. Byzantium has northern Italy and is at Rome door........
    China looked healthy and reached Southern Asian but around turn 90, but for some reason the Empire colapsed after entering at war with mongols. I will have to retest to see if something else.

Pagan ai seems to have a nasty effect on zimbabwe.

Treaper's Avatar Miles

I never saw AI such expanded. And that Zimbabwe... challenge to defeat them

Quote Originally Posted by falcom4ever View Post
    We see funny things. Byzantium has northern Italy and is at Rome door
    That's not strange to me.I saw them doing this in my Zimbabwe campaign...
    Quote Originally Posted by falcom4ever View Post
    Pagan ai seems to have a nasty effect on zimbabwe.
    Yes,especially if combined with the fact that Zimbabwe can raise large armies,and maintain them at a low cost.Anyone who has played Zimbabwe knows very well what I'm talking about...

Also,are you planning to add African music for Zimbabwe and using the native voices from Americas for natives+Zimbabwe?

Quote Originally Posted by Treaper View Post
    I never saw AI such expanded. And that Zimbabwe... challenge to defeat them
    Indeed, I think I will keep this AI with some tweaks, it turns the computer really challenging with naval invasions. Khmers look disapointing tough... I gotta try to make them more agressive.

That's not strange to me.I saw them doing this in my Zimbabwe campaign...

Yes,especially if combined with the fact that Zimbabwe can raise large armies,and maintain them at a low cost.Anyone who has played Zimbabwe knows very well what I'm talking about...

Also,are you planning to add African music for Zimbabwe and using the native voices from Americas for natives+Zimbabwe?
    Still it's weird to see them gathering in Congo and not annexing Kenya haha...

I would love adding african music, but it is related to culture and I already reached the maximum. We have to wait that hardcoded limits get lifted some day... I would like to add nomad culture in priority though. Anyway as long Zimbabwe is middle eastern culture they will get this arabic music.
    As for the accents I just never thought about that for Zimbabwe, it will take me 10 secs .

I am pretty satisfied by the new AI, Mongols are beasts. Try to stop them if you can haha ! What I will try to balance is Zimbabwe not beeing stuck in Congo, Khmers more agressive and put some Japanese hatred on China to give some air to Ryukyu.

By the way, the real beauty is that the mod seems now crash free
    Last edited by falcom4ever; February 24, 2015 at 11:02 PM.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Splendid news Especially glad to hear of improved stability.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

You know,music has nothing to do with cultures.And I may suggest you how to reorganise the cultures,if you wish.

Here is again the situation after 100 turns

This time the apachean felt resting at home, usually they take most of north america. Mayans usually go more south as well, this time Americas are a little bit atypical. (I am still playing with incans)

I tested mostly my tweaks on asian factions and it seems to be ok now. Khmers are at war with China who did not collapsed this time.
    Japan and Ryukyu ended at war after 90 turns of peace. The balance between both factions is often decided by who takes Korea first.
    Jurchens are at war with Ryukyu as well, so I forsee Ryukyu having a lot of job to do in the next turns.

Very funny situation in this time, England and Scotland swapped positions.

You know,music has nothing to do with cultures.And I may suggest you how to reorganise the cultures,if you wish.

I gotta check again for the music then, if its possible I will add african music

I have good news.

First I included African music as Antonis suggested and Chinese music as well.

Second 1 of the 5 mods from which I need the approval said yes I will release tomorrow some picture of these new units. They are really cool.
    I am currently in contact with 3 other mods, they are currently considering my request, but since there is a lot of people involved it will take some time.

Here is a screenshot of few Indian units added. They were borrowed from Broken Crescent mod and made by AlphaDelta and Strelac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast