Thread: About the characters in the game

Default About the characters in the game

Here is a compilation of my questions. Might be usefull for others too. The main reason of so many question and so seemingly few test from my self is because of the crappy computer I have. And maybe a couple of other people too. I want so bad to learn, but with a computer like mine, it would be toooooo much time testing everything since there could be so many lag along the way.

Question : Is it possible to know how many characters there's in the game?
    Answer : Still no answer.

Question : Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei have child coming of age like Guan Xing and Guan Ping (Guan Suo? Guan Tong?) and Zhang Bao, but i was wondering (in this perticular faction and Ba-Shu faction) are there other coming of age like these?

Question : How can i modify the stat of the generals that we can recruit (with building) or those that we adopt? I find them too weak thus pointless to play with.

Question : How can I add some officers into the unaligned faction? Because the Ba-Shu faction has almost no one to recruit.
    Answer : "Characters are added via descr_strat entries. Have a look at other factions how it is done, formatting wise. Names are taken from descr_names from the correct faction section. Can't recall which faction the unaligned one is, possibly spain? best look in text\campaign_description to determine that -the faction name will be in the brackets preceeding the description." Gigantus

Question : How am I suppose to understand wich unit it is? How do i access the files where there's a description of the unit (like in-game, the infos about units) with that code attached to it? If there's any?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Answer : "The dictionary entry is the one you will find in text\export_units for the descriptions. " Gigantus
    There you'll be able to find wich unit is what no matter the name. Just make a quick search via the Edition/Search.

Question : The traits... What the hell?! o_O How you and your team didn't get lost with such... impossible code-name to remember? I'm sure that you had somehow a trick to not waste your time trying to remember all of that... Would you mind sharing it with the community?

Question : I'm trying to change unit stat, but i was wondering is it save-game compatible and is there a scale that could be suggest to me for the charge stat? For exemple : stat_pri 7, 1 (where 1 is charge power, am i right?) 1 is the same effect as if a mouse would charge an elephant to 20 is an elephant charging a mouse. It would be cool if someone could help me with that. Maybe its more than 20 to make infantry fly, like 40?
    Answer : "Changing unit stats should be save game compatible - but keep a backup just in case. The 'flying' effect is an attribute (entry), can't recall which - check the elephant entry, it's fairly obvious." Gigantus
    It will be at this line : stat_pri_attr and the attribute is launching (The attack launches people into the air.) and probably need this one too ; area (The attack affects an area rather than a single target.).

Question : As for the unit entry, are you saying that in text\export_units, if i go in the tab edition/search and write SYsheshou i will find the corresponding unit with his real name?
    Answer : Absolutly.

Question : Is there a reason why Zhang Fei has a special ability, but not Guan Yu, nor Liu Bei or Zhao Yun?

Question : Is there a tutorial, or could you take some of your time to teach me how to give special abilities to characters? Like powerring up attack, morale, defense, charge power, defense skill (!), speed (in battle), etc.

Question : Yeah, defense skill, what the heck is that? I mean, is there someplace or someone that could define PERFECTLY and COMPLETLY the difference between Armour, defense skill and shield?
    Answer : "There is a huge difference. Depending on how the unit is being attacked and from which direction, different aspects of the Defense stat are used to calculate damage.

- Missile attacks (e.g. arrows) ignore Defense Skill.
    - Armour Piercing attacks (e.g. crossbows) ignore 50% of Armour points.
    - Defending frontal attacks considers Armour, Shield and Defense Skill.
    - Defending attacks from the right considers Armour and Defense skills.
    - Attacks from the left consider Armour and Shield.
    - Attacks from the rear only consider Armour.

This is the reason why attacking flanks and the rear of enemy units do so much damage against lighter units, and why heavy units tend to be so resistant against all forms of damage." Scottie_theNerd

Question : Is there another mods of the three kingdoms era? If yes, could anybody give me a direct link to the download page and feature? (even in chinese!)

Question : Oh and i dont quite remember wich line it is, but the line where you determine the speed at witch the unit will stroke... could someone tell what is the maximum and the minium, and what is recommended and most importantly why?

Question : Where do i find the list of attributes that i can give to the units (infantry, general, cavalry, elephant, etc.)?
    Answer : "There is an excellent tutorial around for the export_descr_unit (EDU) file. It describes in detail every single entry, you should be able to find it in the text tutorial forum. It will answer all your questions, eg 'composite_arrow' is a projectile which is defined in descr_projectiles.
    The difficulty level might be the modifier for the unit cost." Gigantus
    http://medieval2.heavengames.com/m2t...de/index.shtml

Question : What does it means "compsite_bow? Is there anything else than that? Like claymore, or elvish bow?

Answer : See question above.

Question : What the minimum of arrow i can grant to a unit?
    Answer : "Minimum arrows is 2 I think." Gigantus

Question : Why in-game the cost of a merc elephant is 5000 wuzhu but in this file it's 2600 wuzhu?

Question : About the elephant charge effect, could it be power charge? If it is, what does it really do? Just throw soldier without additionnal dammage?
    Answer : Power charge seem to only boost the power of the charge effect.

Question :
    Answer :

Voilą!
    Last edited by French Man; March 01, 2015 at 01:32 PM.

Default Re: About the characters in the game

Good news for everyone! 三国志13 will publish in December 2015 (Maybe) http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/sangokushi30th/

This mod using two Chinese mods combine together, These two Chinese mods already have updated in 2015, both of them are created by 柱子创世纪组, I think you don't understand Chinese as a French Canadian, so I think tell you some great Chinese mods in Total War is useless.

Back to the topic, This mod's character's face use 三国志10 portrait. But Chinese moders add some of Characters, so I think the characters more than RoTK 10 in this mod. Characters of RoTK 10 has 677+(I forgot the exact numbers.) If you don't know about RoTK 10(published in 2004, RoTK 10 PK was published in 2005).......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om6u5umPidM
    Most western people just know about RoTK 11, But the best KOEI series of RoTK game is RoTK 9 and 10, Also a lot of western people don't know about RoTK 12 (published in 1012, PK published in 2013).....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUSY...2CpXi8&index=1 Unfortunately, Western people just can play Dynasty warriors(Chinese call this game: mowing grass and without intelligence game)made by KOEI. Some Chinese already send a message to KOEI that they want to get a steam version with RoTK 13. I hope KOEI become smart that release all their games on steam....

When Fate of the Dragon Throne 2 project died in 2002 http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?ID=2746, http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/AQhC4GUCL2o the best history strategy PC game died in China..... the Object game company transform to internet game company...................Single player PC game lost the battle against Online game in China in 2002.........

First, I'm a Quebecker. Second, thanks for answering me. I already am aware about the upcoming rotk games, but since they are only in chinese version, I don't really give a damn because obviouly KOEI also don't give a damn about us, western people.
    Last edited by French Man; February 21, 2015 at 02:04 PM.

Still, I've some other questions that need to be answered. :/

How can i add some officer in the unaligned faction? because for the ba-shu there's almost no one to recruit. Thanks.

You should have left the "redneck" part in; it was funnier that way.

What do you mean by "officer"? Generals or you want units in battle to have officers?

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    You should have left the "redneck" part in; it was funnier that way.

What do you mean by "officer"? Generals or you want units in battle to have officers?
    Yeah but i didnt mean to offend anyone so i remove it. I meant generals, characters, like Niu Jin or Ma Su and Ma Liang.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Characters are added via descr_strat entries. Have a look at other factions how it is done, formatting wise. Names are taken from descr_names from the correct faction section. Can't recall which faction the unaligned one is, possibly spain? best look in text\campaign_description to determine that -the faction name will be in the brackets preceeding the description.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Characters are added via descr_strat entries. Have a look at other factions how it is done, formatting wise. Names are taken from descr_names from the correct faction section. Can't recall which faction the unaligned one is, possibly spain? best look in text\campaign_description to determine that -the faction name will be in the brackets preceeding the description.
    Ok thanks for your answer, but here another problem i've encountered :

Here, what is it suppose to mean???? How am i suppose to understand wich unit it is? How do i access the files where theres a description of the unit (like in-game, the infos about units) wich that code attach to it? If there's any?

And here... The traits... What the hell?! o_O How you and you team didn't get lost with such... impossible code-name to remember? Do you have a list on your computer that tell what are what? I'm sure that you had somehow a trick to not waste your time trying to remember all of that...

Anyway, plus I'm trying to change unit stat, but i was wondering is it save-game and is there a scale that could be suggest to me? For exemple : stat_pri 7, 1 (where 1 is charge power, am i right?)

1 is the same effect as if a mouse would charge an elephant to 20 is an elephant charging a mouse. It would be cool if someone could help me with that. Maybe its more than 20 to make infantry fly, like 40?

Merci!

Blog Entries

It was a bit of a challenge with the traits, but there was some method behind the madness.
    As to the unit entries: not sure what wisdom CA was following, but the dictionary entry is the one you will find in text\export_units for the descriptions.
    Changing unit stats should be save game compatible - but keep a backup just in case. The 'flying' effect is an attribute (entry), can't recall which - check the elephant entry, it's fairly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It was a bit of a challenge with the traits, but there was some method behind the madness.
    As to the unit entries: not sure what wisdom CA was following, but the dictionary entry is the one you will find in text\export_units for the descriptions.
    Changing unit stats should be save game compatible - but keep a backup just in case. The 'flying' effect is an attribute (entry), can't recall which - check the elephant entry, it's fairly obvious.
    Ok thank you Gig! Sorry to bother you with those questions, but this is the way i learn. Asking question rather reading 200 pages of some things that at the end might just be useless to me.

About those method, would you share it with me? It would greatly help me! And since i've open up this thread and that i'm always asking my questions here, i shall just list my next questions.

1 - As for the unit entry, are you saying that in text\export_units, if i go in the tab edition/search and write SYsheshou i will find the corresponding unit with his real name? (Actually don't answer that, i'll go check myself -_-)

2 - Is there a reason why Zhang Fei has a special ability, but not Guan Yu, nor Liu Bei or Zhao Yun?

3 - Is there a tutorial, or could you take some of your time to teach me how to give special abilities to characters? Like powerring up attack, morale, defense, charge power, defense skill (!), speed (in battle), etc.

4 - Yeah, defense skill, what the heck is that? I mean, is there someplace or someone that could define PERFECTLY and COMPLETLY the difference between Armour, defense skill and shield?

5 - Is there another mods of the three kingdoms era? If yes, could anybody give me a direct link to the download page and feature? (even in chinese!)

6 - Oh and i dont quite remember wich line is it, but the line where you determine the speed at witch the unit will stroke... could someone tell what is the maximum and the minium, and what is recommended and most importantly why?

7 - Where do i find the list of attributes that i can give to the units (infantry, general, cavalry, elephant, etc.)? Those of the vanilla are they still applyable (is that a word?)?

8 - I don't understand this :

What is the meaning of writing "compsite_bow? Is there anything else than that? Like claymore, or elvish bow?

9 - What the minimum of arrow i can grant to a unit?

10 - Is there a factor modifyer? Because, in-game an Elephant Merc is like 5000 wuzhu, but here it's 2600...

Waiting for answers, might just get my first submod before the end of this year!
    Last edited by French Man; February 28, 2015 at 03:12 PM.

About the elephant charge effect, could it be power charge? If it is, what does it really do? Just throw soldier without additionnal dammage?

Blog Entries

There is an excellent tutorial around for the export_descr_unit (EDU) file. It describes in detail every single entry, you should be able to find it in the text tutorial forum. It will answer all your questions, eg 'composite_arrow' is a projectile which is defined in descr_projectiles.
    The difficulty level might be the modifier for the unit cost.
    Minimum arrows is 2 I think.

Thanks again! Don't know if this is the tutorial you were talking about (http://medieval2.heavengames.com/m2t...de/index.shtml), but TATW already had something like that directly in their export_descr_units file. Here some questions that hasn't been answered yet :

2 - Is there a reason why Zhang Fei has a special ability, but not Guan Yu, nor Liu Bei or Zhao Yun?

3 - Is there a tutorial, or could you take some of your time to teach me how to give special abilities to characters? Like powerring up attack, morale, defense, charge power, defense skill (!), speed (in battle), etc.

4 - Yeah, defense skill, what the heck is that? I mean, is there someplace or someone that could define PERFECTLY and COMPLETLY the difference between Armour, defense skill and shield?

5 - Is there another mods of the three kingdoms era? If yes, could anybody give me a direct link to the download page and feature? (even in chinese!)

10 - Is there a factor modifyer? Because, in-game an Elephant Merc is like 5000 wuzhu, but here it's 2600...

Waiting for answers, might just get my first submod before the end of this year!

Blog Entries

That's the tutorial\resource I meant.
    2. No particular reason if I remember correctly, but I thought the latest version had more special capabilities.
    3. You are mixing up stuff: special abilities are things like reducing the moral of the enemy troupes whereas all the other things are simple entries in the EDU - see stat_pri
    4. Not exactly sure how it works, but I think the skill comes into play in melee as a multiplier of the defense (armor, shield).
    5. There is, have a look in the hosted mods forum
    10. I think the campaign difficulty is the multiplier for the cost.

Question : Is it possible to know how many characters there's in the game?
    Answer :
    Yes. You can start campaign for each faction and count them by hand.

Question : Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei have child coming of age like Guan Xing and Guan Ping (Guan Suo? Guan Tong?) and Zhang Bao, but i was wondering (in this perticular faction and Ba-Shu faction) are there other coming of age like these?
    Answer :
    Yes.

Question : How can i modify the stat of the generals that we can recruit (with building) or those that we adopt? I find them too weak thus pointless to play with.
    Answer : Explore tutorial about editing export_description_unit file.

Question :
    The traits... What the hell?! o_O How you and your team didn't get lost with such... impossible code-name to remember? I'm sure that you had somehow a trick to not waste your time trying to remember all of that... Would you mind sharing it with the community?
    Answer : All modders constantly imrove their memories))
    If serious, I presume, noone memorize it. Simple copy\paste

Question :
    Is there a tutorial, or could you take some of your time to teach me how to give special abilities to characters? Like powerring up attack, morale, defense, charge power, defense skill (!), speed (in battle), etc.
    Answer :
    No one will teach you, you have to learn it. Such abilities can be added via traits, ancillaries and some other ways.

Question : Is there another mods of the three kingdoms era? If yes, could anybody give me a direct link to the download page and feature? (even in chinese!)
    Answer :
    Here it ishttp://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...v1-03-Released!

Question : Oh and i dont quite remember wich line it is, but the line where you determine the speed at witch the unit will stroke... could someone tell what is the maximum and the minium, and what is recommended and most importantly why?
    Answer :
    This kind of speed determined by the animation.
    Last edited by lekseus; March 02, 2015 at 04:42 AM.

Blog Entries

You can count with Notepad++ in descr_strat, simply search for keywords liked 'named character' or other entries that only occur in a character line and then check the count.

Defense skill does not protect against missiles, only armour and shield do that. Defense skill is a parameter reflecting the ability to defend yourself through skill of arms (swordmasnhip etc) in hand to hand combat. The Samurai had a lot of that and probably many of the RoTK heroes.

Ooops, my mistake, pls delete this post.
    Last edited by Minn; March 30, 2015 at 11:24 AM.