Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: GEMFX Update for Attila (v1.0.9)

Default Re: GEMFX Update for Attila (v1.0.8.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lowlander View Post
    In case this helps anyone, after 5 days of pulling my hair out, I found a (shoddy) workaround that works for me at least. I think the issue was caused by a Windows 8.1 update. I just built a new system and upgraded from Windows 7 to 8.1, and that's when the mod stopped working. So here's what I finally did:

-Make sure all your C++ stuff is updated (the links are back a few pages in this thread if you need them)
    -Download and install the Rome 2 version of the mod, to your Rome 2 folder, follow all of Lucifer's instructions for the Rome 2 install
    -Subscribe to the Rome 2 GEMFX mod on Steam
    -Run the game once so that it downloads the Steam version of the mod
    -Now run the 'gemsteaminstaller' shortcut, located in your Rome 2 folder
    -Now copy all the 'GEM' files and 'dxgi.dll' in your root Rome 2 folder and place them into your Attila root folder
    -Also make sure to grab the 'gem.pack' file from the Rome 2 data folder, and place that into the Attila data folder
    -Run the GEMFX configurator in your Attila folder and set it to 'Compatibility Mode'
    -Now run Attila either through Steam or the mod manager, and make sure you check 'Gem.pack'
    -If you're in luck, it'll run, then tweak your settings and swap in Lucifer's 1.0.8.1 patched dxgi.dll for Attila if you want, not sure if you need it

Hope this helps someone. I tried every other solution in the forums and this was the only thing that worked for me on a fresh Windows 8.1 install.
    game just crashes at start for me

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

In case this helps anyone, after 5 days of pulling my hair out, I found a (shoddy) workaround that works for me at least. I think the issue was caused by a Windows 8.1 update. I just built a new system and upgraded from Windows 7 to 8.1, and that's when the mod stopped working. So here's what I finally did:

-Make sure all your C++ stuff is updated (the links are back a few pages in this thread if you need them)
    -Download and install the Rome 2 version of the mod, to your Rome 2 folder, follow all of Lucifer's instructions for the Rome 2 install
    -Now copy all the 'GEM' files and 'dxgi.dll' in your root Rome 2 folder and place them into your Attila root folder
    -Also make sure to grab the 'gem.pack' file from the Rome 2 data folder, and place that into the Attila data folder
    -Run the GEMFX configurator in your Attila folder and set it to 'Compatibility Mode'
    -Now run Attila either through Steam or the mod manager, and make sure you check 'Gem.pack'
    -If you're in luck, it'll run, then tweak your settings and swap in Lucifer's 1.0.8.1 patched dxgi.dll for Attila if you want, not sure if you need it

Hope this helps someone. I tried every other solution in the forums and this was the only thing that worked for me on a fresh Windows 8.1 install.
    If you think I am reinstalling an operating system just to get this mod to work I will just leave it and stick with vanilla settings thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    If you think I am reinstalling an operating system just to get this mod to work I will just leave it and stick with vanilla settings thanks
    Hi Toon. I should clarify, I'm not saying you need to do a fresh install. I had it working on Windows 7. Then upgraded to 8.1, reinstalled everything, the mod was still working. Then did Windows 8.1 updates, the mod stopped working. I'm just saying as far as I can tell it stopped working after an update to 8.1. So then I did the steps outlined in the post and now have it working again.

I got it working thanks, In my GEMFX_Configurator I ticked compatibility mode, 64bit application then save that made it work I have Windows 8.1 aswell

Quote Originally Posted by flippers View Post
    I got it working thanks, In my GEMFX_Configurator I ticked compatibility mode, 64bit application then save that made it work I have Windows 8.1 aswell
    Awesome, glad to hear it! Not sure if you need to click 64-bit, but compatibility for sure. Glad it helped someone!

How much performance on average does this mod kill ? 5 frames? 10 frames? more ??
    because in both Attila and Rome 2, I literally want every single frame I can get, I don't want to use anything that takes any frames away

It's that campaign map as we all know where the framerates are extremely erratic, especially when you click on anything quite often it kills a third or even halves your framerates in some cases.
    Battles luckily as long as you don't zoom in closely on a large battle, you do get good playable framerates.

Awesome, glad to hear it! Not sure if you need to click 64-bit, but compatibility for sure. Glad it helped someone!
    Hey thing is, i dont have Rome 2 only Attila, and steam workshop does not support Attila yet, so i cant get the gem.pack file you told us to copy, could you upload it somewhere?
    I cant seem to get gem working, never used it before, but all those sweet screenshots made me want to try it.
    At first the game did not run at all, but then i set configurator to 64-bit and the game started, but i dont see any change, i have been smashing pause, F10, F11, L, K. No shaders for me. No change with compatibilty mode either. I have 8.1 x64.
    Any ideas?

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

does not work with Rome 2

Quote Originally Posted by gregnaar View Post
    Hey thing is, i dont have Rome 2 only Attila, and steam workshop does not support Attila yet, so i cant get the gem.pack file you told us to copy, could you upload it somewhere?
    I cant seem to get gem working, never used it before, but all those sweet screenshots made me want to try it.
    At first the game did not run at all, but then i set configurator to 64-bit and the game started, but i dont see any change, i have been smashing pause, F10, F11, L, K. No shaders for me. No change with compatibilty mode either. I have 8.1 x64.
    Any ideas?
    -for Attila what I did was Download the gemfx for attila version http://www.mediafire.com/download/hp...v1_0_8_ATW.exe
    -Download the quickfix
    -then in Gemfx configurator make sure you have compatibility mod ticked, 64 bit application ( this one fixed the crashing problem for me)

Quote Originally Posted by flippers View Post
    -for Attila what I did was Download the gemfx for attila version http://www.mediafire.com/download/hp...v1_0_8_ATW.exe
    -Download the quickfix
    -then in Gemfx configurator make sure you have compatibility mod ticked, 64 bit application ( this one fixed the crashing problem for me)
    I have done the same, it wont crash, but at the same time it is not doing anything (it looks exactly the same, and i cand activate it with any keys, k or pause or F11 wont do anything). Well i guess i will try again later when they update this, as a lot of people having problems with gemfx it seem like. Anyways, thanks for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnaar View Post
    I have done the same, it wont crash, but at the same time it is not doing anything (it looks exactly the same, and i cand activate it with any keys, k or pause or F11 wont do anything). Well i guess i will try again later when they update this, as a lot of people having problems with gemfx it seem like. Anyways, thanks for the answer.

+1. Solve crash but GEM doesn't work.

Plebiean's Avatar Foederatus

can anyone post a nice preset, im too lazy to set it myself thx

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Anyone come up with a way to fix this yet?

I've got the same problem lots of others seem to have... the game loads but no enhanced graphics

Hello everyone, I was using GEM for both attila and Rome 2 since several months and it was working flawlessly, but now it stopped working completely for the two games (they don't crash but the GEM overlay isn't appearing) and I have no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio-Claudian View Post
    Anyone come up with a way to fix this yet?

I've got the same problem lots of others seem to have... the game loads but no enhanced graphics
    try disabling the 64bit compatibility thingy it worked for me this way

is there an ez way to uninstal GEM if my comp cannot handle it?

works great! thanx for the mod!
    Last edited by JVR; May 02, 2015 at 05:19 PM.

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Plebiean View Post
    try disabling the 64bit compatibility thingy it worked for me this way
    The launcher just crashes immediately if I don't tick that.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio-Claudian View Post
    The launcher just crashes immediately if I don't tick that.
    That's weird :/

where's Lucifer?

Attila wont launch anymore even after i uninstalled the mod, thoughts.. The first time the launcher opens and i press play and it just doesnt do antyhing, i tried it again but then it said failed to start game allready running. Any fixes, i allready tried all of the fixes recomended by steam .