Thread: question about Graphics

Default question about Graphics

Hello, i would like to ask a question if anybody can help.

i have just installed empire and darth mod, in a new laptop with 4-cored i7, 8 gb ram and a geforce gtx 860m, 4 mb version.

game is launched and begins with no issues, but when i try to enter graphic options for better setting up, i see that some options are not available and appear greyed out like "depth of field" and every detail option (unit, vegetation, land etc) can only go until medium setting, high or ultra are not available.

i think that my graphics card is not so mediocre and i cant understand why i dont get any high option available.

i am checking in the nvidia control panel and it is supposed to load the game using nvidia card and not integrated intel 4400 graphics.

my question is :

a) Despite my settings could the game trying to use integrated intel graphics??

b) if yes can i overcome this attitude and make the game use my nvidia card?

thank you

Libertus

Default Re: question about Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsmann View Post
    Hello, i would like to ask a question if anybody can help.

i have just installed empire and darth mod, in a new laptop with 4-cored i7, 8 gb ram and a geforce gtx 860m, 4 mb version.

game is launched and begins with no issues, but when i try to enter graphic options for better setting up, i see that some options are not available and appear greyed out like "depth of field" and every detail option (unit, vegetation, land etc) can only go until medium setting, high or ultra are not available.

i think that my graphics card is not so mediocre and i cant understand why i dont get any high option available.

i am checking in the nvidia control panel and it is supposed to load the game using nvidia card and not integrated intel 4400 graphics.

my question is :

a) Despite my settings could the game trying to use integrated intel graphics??

b) if yes can i overcome this attitude and make the game use my nvidia card?

thank you
    It isn't your card or laptop, it is a glitch with ETW (go figure). Go into your preferences (you have to make sure hidden files are visible, go to user/name/appdata/roaming/creativeassembly/empire/scripts) and open the preferences script. Near the top you will see

gfx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

change the 0 to:

gfx_video_memory 512000000; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

and save it. Basically ETW is confused and thinks you only have a board video card.

Also make sure you set the nvidia card to default for game through the nividia control panel (I have same as you, Intel base with Nvidia high end card).

FWIW; I thought I'd chime in because just last week I had a spare Thinkpad T430 series, with the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics. I edited the preferences file and set memory to 500+ MB. I could run ETW vanilla on almost all ultra settings, 2x AA and medium unit size. I was getting 24-36fps in battles.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel65 View Post
    It isn't your card or laptop, it is a glitch with ETW (go figure). Go into your preferences (you have to make sure hidden files are visible, go to user/name/appdata/roaming/creativeassembly/empire/scripts) and open the preferences script. Near the top you will see

gfx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

change the 0 to:

gfx_video_memory 512000000; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

and save it. Basically ETW is confused and thinks you only have a board video card.

Also make sure you set the nvidia card to default for game through the nividia control panel (I have same as you, Intel base with Nvidia high end card).
    But he has 4096MB Vram so he need to set up it too: gfx_video_memory 4096000000 ;# gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #