Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall of the Eagles Features and Overview

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: [WIP] Fall of the Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Grizwald714 View Post
    Are your guys planning on making any changing to the current unit upgrade system or even getting rid of it for your first release.
    The latter, most likely. We want to have an upgrade system, but the way that CA went about it... suffice to say we aren't fans.

GourmetGorilla's Avatar Semisalis

First off, you guys are great. Thank you for putting an idea like this in the works.

Really, I just have one question:

Out of curiosity, will this mod eventually include authentic unit names, translated into various languages, or will it retain the original English names for units for the sake of maintaining compatibility?

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Avetis View Post
    one early pre- pre- very beta picture from the East

Man, they look great. Cant wait to try this mod!

Will the reskins and parts of the battle balancing that you are waving in our ravenous faces be included in the initial bare bones release?

Reskins should, as should battle balance.

Modest effort, but while I like CA's models and textures the very low cut neckline of the mail hauberks drives me insane. I'm looking into doing a 'tunic on tunic' trick like back in Constantine.

In this case the tradeoff is the wrist issue, but you get a high necked mail hauberk by using the celtic basic tunic and eastern basic tunic with alpha channel editing. Also one of CA's shield emblems on my fat oval shield rather than their flat narrow oval (which wasn't in use in this period). Ignore the absence of the belt, I have to add that, and I'm still in the process of tweaking these tunic armors. There's still a little clipping, but there's similar clipping on some of CA's models.

Praise the gods above and below! Praise the four winds and crom high upon his mountain! Fat Roman oval shield and better mail armor! Will the jewled helmets be making return as well?

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Well, this looks bloody marvellous. Keep up the good work chaps.

Couple of random questions: is there any scope for a playable Romano-British faction? Also, from a historical perspective, do factions like the Franks have any likelihood of evolving Romanised-type tactics/units/equipment within the time-frame? My knowledge of this period is hazy!
    Last edited by Murfmurf; February 26, 2015 at 05:48 AM.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    Well, this looks bloody marvellous. Keep up the good work chaps.

Couple of random questions: is there any scope for a playable Romano-British faction? Also, from a historical perspective, do factions like the Franks have any likelihood of evolving Romanised-type tactics/units/equipment within the time-frame? My knowledge of this period is hazy!

For the first we have no plans to edit the startpos, but I do feel like for people who can't handle true roman bread for true romans prefer a smaller starting position the close proximity in the timeline to the 407 Constantine III usurper of Britain could allow for a Romano-British faction. But doing so would mean the Barbarians have already broken through the limes in the West and complicate things. Maybe in the future it could be looked at but for now there won't be any startpos editing. Or at least editing of that fashion.

For the second question right now we're focused on a stop-gap improvement to the vanilla campaign when it comes to the battlefield balance and unit recruitment. But I personally am a fan of allowing for the Romanization and/or collaboration of Romans with the barbarian invaders (perhaps in spirit allowing the mod to be more of a 5th century in general mod instead of just arbitrarily stopping at 450 AD). Judging from "Merovingian Military Organization: 481-751" by Bernard S. Bachrach the Merovingian Franks as we imagine them were less a pure entity of Franks and more a polygot army of Franks, Germanic invaders like the Burgundians and Alamanni, Gallo-Romans and their buccellarii, residual Roman limitanei and Laeti (including some Alan or Sarmatian or Taifali auxiliaries or foederati), and various Roman cities militias. The current Ostrogothic exclusive ability to recruit Romans from Roman buildings ought perhaps be extended to any Germans. Or at least it certainly should for the Franks who probably relied on Roman soldiery more than the Ostrogoths.

But as of right now we don't have any solid plans on that. Just a likelihood of discussing it and perhaps implementing it down the line.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

This thread is a cauldron of marveilles each day

Nice! I dont have time to read all the forum, but i have a question ( and im sure a lot have asked before) will you make new unit icons? Nonetheless i will keeping an eye on this mod!

So this is where you were

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    For the first we have no plans to edit the startpos, but I do feel like for people who can't handle true roman bread for true romans prefer a smaller starting position the close proximity in the timeline to the 407 Constantine III usurper of Britain could allow for a Romano-British faction. But doing so would mean the Barbarians have already broken through the limes in the West and complicate things. Maybe in the future it could be looked at but for now there won't be any startpos editing. Or at least editing of that fashion.

For the second question right now we're focused on a stop-gap improvement to the vanilla campaign when it comes to the battlefield balance and unit recruitment. But I personally am a fan of allowing for the Romanization and/or collaboration of Romans with the barbarian invaders (perhaps in spirit allowing the mod to be more of a 5th century in general mod instead of just arbitrarily stopping at 450 AD). Judging from "Merovingian Military Organization: 481-751" by Bernard S. Bachrach the Merovingian Franks as we imagine them were less a pure entity of Franks and more a polygot army of Franks, Germanic invaders like the Burgundians and Alamanni, Gallo-Romans and their buccellarii, residual Roman limitanei and Laeti (including some Alan or Sarmatian or Taifali auxiliaries or foederati), and various Roman cities militias. The current Ostrogothic exclusive ability to recruit Romans from Roman buildings ought perhaps be extended to any Germans. Or at least it certainly should for the Franks who probably relied on Roman soldiery more than the Ostrogoths.

But as of right now we don't have any solid plans on that. Just a likelihood of discussing it and perhaps implementing it down the line.
    Thank you very much for your answers Ahiga. Yep I thought the first question would be too complicated for the moment (and yes I prefer smaller starting points ), and as to the second that's great. I don't like the idea of "barbarians" taking over a Romanised province and suddenly extinguishing all signs of the previous culture and people as seems to be the case in vanilla.

Looking forward to your releases!

Germanic unit preview remade!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    Thank you very much for your answers Ahiga. Yep I thought the first question would be too complicated for the moment (and yes I prefer smaller starting points ), and as to the second that's great. I don't like the idea of "barbarians" taking over a Romanised province and suddenly extinguishing all signs of the previous culture and people as seems to be the case in vanilla.

Looking forward to your releases!
    Oh if you mean building wise I am not certain that's possible. I meant in the sense of units and roster. Speaking theoretically I think it'd be possible to make German buildings refer to a Roman one's model - but I am not sure how you could make it that they only do so if they convert a Roman building (rather than build by scratch). I agree I'd like to see that synthesis of German and Roman rather than pure Germanic, but I have no idea if it's possible.

However once CA releases the Attila Modding tools and you can make custom battlefields for any city perhaps it can be done so a Roman city will always have Roman walls and a number of Roman buildings - it'll just be the signature ones (the barracks, the blacksmith, ect.) which change over.

I think roster would be more than fine to begin with anyway. I can see how the buildings would be more tricky, although my modding knowledge is limited to the M2TW, which all seems so much simpler nowadays!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Gunny View Post
    Anyway, I've created some faux shield walls to work with the updated shieldwall ability. And battles are starting to look better, even though a lot needs to be done with the actual unit stats.
    How do these "faux shield walls" work? Do they allow you to charge while still in formation? Something like the solution in DeI, maybe, where it's tied to a different ability? I've noticed that the Attila AI does occasionally use formations like testudo and spearwall anyway. I'm not sure about shieldwall though.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Yea, it's set up pretty similar to DeI, but I've also modified spacing to look more... shieldwall-y.

Curious question, not sure if it was mentioned, but are you guys going to use some models/textures over from CRoC?

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Glado View Post
    Curious question, not sure if it was mentioned, but are you guys going to use some models/textures over from CRoC?
    Yep, as much as we can. There's a lot of armours and tunics we're plannig to use in FotE as well. Although we will also be making new stuff based on the Attila assets.

GourmetGorilla's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    Reskins should, as should battle balance.

Modest effort, but while I like CA's models and textures the very low cut neckline of the mail hauberks drives me insane. I'm looking into doing a 'tunic on tunic' trick like back in Constantine.

In this case the tradeoff is the wrist issue, but you get a high necked mail hauberk by using the celtic basic tunic and eastern basic tunic with alpha channel editing. Also one of CA's shield emblems on my fat oval shield rather than their flat narrow oval (which wasn't in use in this period). Ignore the absence of the belt, I have to add that, and I'm still in the process of tweaking these tunic armors. There's still a little clipping, but there's similar clipping on some of CA's models.
    Focales, perhaps?

Glado, what would you think of this? You made a great Neckerchiefs mod that solves this issue marvelously.
    Last edited by GourmetGorilla; February 26, 2015 at 01:48 PM.