Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall of the Eagles Features and Overview

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [WIP] Fall of the Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    IMO, it could actually be useful for the Barbarians, where after a certain time they can recruit "Romanized" units that are more standardized in appearance, have armor, and better discipline/morale.
    Yeah we'll probably still end up having upgradeable units here and there, they just wont work, or be the same, as the vanilla ones.

What is the thinking behind this anyway? I see a lot of people saying the new unit upgrade system is crap, but I haven't really seen any explanation as to why people feel that way.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It limits amount of units you and AI can field, which leads to elite only armies in late game.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Mostly because it eliminates any sense of choice or options in your army composition. For example, say you've expanded your empire quite a bit and you're financially strained and you need to stabilize the public order in some region but cant fund an army of high tier units. You'd want some levy/low tier units for that but you wouldn't have the option to do it. Besides that it's always better to have a choice rather than be forced by game mechanics to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus183 View Post
    Mostly because it eliminates any sense of choice or options in your army composition. For example, say you've expanded your empire quite a bit and you're financially strained and you need to stabilize the public order in some region but cant fund an army of high tier units. You'd want some levy/low tier units for that but you wouldn't have the option to do it. Besides that it's always better to have a choice rather than be forced by game mechanics to do something.
    Ah fair enough. I guess I haven't made it far enough into a campaign to realize that all units would become elite troops. I figured there would be some more advanced but still cheal non-elite troops at the end game. That is a shame, because then it would all work.

The unit system is great if we want to use it to simulate the changes in army organisation/equipment from the late Roman era to the Byzantine/post-Roman era. Faction like the Franks would eventually be able to develop heavy cavalry that was created under Charles Martel or the gradual adoption of kite shields over oval/round shields.

What it shouldn't be used is to create a system whereby all cheap/levy units must be upgraded into elite units. It will be akin to having a game whereby the players are left with nothing but the praetorian guards to recruit from. It's a bad game design decision on the part of CA. Some of CA's game design philosophy has been rather weird at recent times, and often reduce the fun of their games.

Decanus

looking forward to seeing what you guys do to the horrible vanilla battle system...

LiberalsSuckit's Avatar Laetus

I'm literally waiting on you guys to release this mod before I buy the game. After reading through this thread I see that I made the right decision. Waiting with great anticipation.

Another pretty little picture of some Geats plundering Britannia.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Some advice for improving the models:

1. The gamebsons should be underneath the maile. Or better yet, you could get rid of the maile and make them wear only the gambeson.

2. Get rid of the spectacle helmets, those Gjermundbu-Types date to the 8th century, and even their predecessor Vendel types don't have spectacles appearing until the late 6th.

3. The shoes could be improved. Hmm... I saw an image of a Germanic shoe from Denmark dating to this period, I will return with it shortly.

It's a good start, but if you want to go for historical accuracy you'll need to go further.

Where is your own forum section? Anyway I'm really waiting for a release, keep it up!

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Following up on my other post:

The Weerdinge Shoe: The Museum says 0-200AD, but in reality this is the same style as the Oberflacht Shoe, which dates to 580 AD, and this shoe could likely be more accurately dated to the 4th-6th centuries AD:

The Oberflacht is 6th century Saxon or Frisian. The Weerdinge shoe was found in Denmark, so is probably either Angle or Saxon. Maybe Jute.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Oberflacht for comparison:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hey guys if you want to use assets from my swords retexture mod, there is no problem, even more i will be proud to have a little participation to your mod.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...rds&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrien Ier View Post
    Where is your own forum section? Anyway I'm really waiting for a release, keep it up!
    We'll get one posted up as soon as we get an early, base version out. Shouldn't be all that long until then though And those textures look great, I'll talk to the rest of the team and see what they think about using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Some advice for improving the models:

1. The gamebsons should be underneath the maile. Or better yet, you could get rid of the maile and make them wear only the gambeson.

2. Get rid of the spectacle helmets, those Gjermundbu-Types date to the 8th century, and even their predecessor Vendel types don't have spectacles appearing until the late 6th.

3. The shoes could be improved. Hmm... I saw an image of a Germanic shoe from Denmark dating to this period, I will return with it shortly.

It's a good start, but if you want to go for historical accuracy you'll need to go further.
    I appreciate the criticism, it's always good to get the historical aspects somewhat correct. However, while we want to make this mod historical, we still want to make it fun and balance the historical accuracy with good gameplay. That means we won't have all that much time to dedicate to things like shoes. Ahiga has a good motto on this; "Historically inspired, historically influenced, not a historical imitation."

We'll see about the helmets and things like that in the future though.
    Last edited by Maximus183; February 23, 2015 at 11:42 AM.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

I wonder if you have seen this thread re the Kartli regions? If you devleop the mod into including authentic names and histories, there is much here that will prove useful. I do understand however if that is not a priority. I am just pleased you are working on Attila!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...0#post14378870

We are hoping to have a very early 0.1 version out in the next few days. It will be extremely barebones, but we want to have something before we move to a Hosted forum.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Will this mod use Kamīs battle overhaul?

Quote Originally Posted by juanplay View Post
    Will this mod use Kamīs battle overhaul?
    We have Gunny making a seperate system for this mod, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus183 View Post
    We have Gunny making a seperate system for this mod, so no.
    That will confuse me, 2 good mods and I won't know which one to use.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Don't be confused, be happy to have the choice.