Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: DeI and ATTILA

Default DeI and ATTILA

So there were a few threads about this in the past, but with Attila out now I wanted to bring the conversation back on the table.

This is not a request thread. I am simply curious as to what the great modders of DeI and the players who appreciated their vision of Rome 2 think of ATTILA, and what is their individual (Or not) plans for the future.

The general feeling I get from the community so far seems to be a lot more positive than I expected. Having played a few turns of ATTILA, I can say that it plays a lot more like a new and well polished game than I thought it would. The game is quite pretty, and the new campaign map features better the experience a lot more than the previews and reviews had led me to believe. Oh and that new UI is simply gorgeous

From what I can remember, there were no plan for DeI to move onto ATTILA as an entity. But I would love to know how modders such as Dresden and KAM (To name only two.) feel about the game so far, and if they have a personal interest in modding ATTILA.

I hope this attempt a starting a conversation for the sake of it does not turn into a CA hate fest, or Attila VS Rome2 war of some sort. I'm really only interested in people's opinion, so keep it civilized

To finish this introduction with a personal note. What I feared (and hoped?) did happen. I believe Attila may have rendered Rome 2 obsolete in my eyes. Even though I prefer the Rome 2 Era and warfare, Attila simply seems superior in every aspects and I am not sure I will be able to go back DeI now that I have had a taste of the goods.

On a more positive note, I would like to thank all DeI modders for having turned my mediocre Rome 2 experience into an amazing one. I will forever hold you guys and gals in high esteem and will try to keep an eye on anything that you contribute for Attila.

Cheers!

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: DeI and ATTILA

I might make a simple combat mod (combat speed, charge values, weapon/missile damage, shield/armour values), but without any more complicated unit adjustment. Still, I need to have the game in the first place

There is still a lot of work to do in DeI combat and that is priority. Atilla, if at all, is a distant future.

To be honest, I am very exhausted with current stuff done for DeI and I won't put that much time into any other project in near future.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    I might make a simple combat mod (combat speed, charge values, weapon/missile damage, shield/armour values), but without any more complicated unit adjustment. Still, I need to have the game in the first place

There is still a lot of work to do in DeI combat and that is priority. Atilla, if at all, is a distant future.

To be honest, I am very exhausted with current stuff done for DeI and I won't put that much time into any other project in near future.
    Completely understood mate...

Thanks for your work as always...

That is absolutely understandable. I have been using your experimental patch on my latest Massilia Campaign, and to me it was the best gameplay experience I had have with the game.

I will probably try to bring said campaign to an end once you release your next update (I control everything but the Eastern Culture territories and Africa.). This would in fact be the first Grand Campaign I would actually finish, thanks in great parts to you!

Patrician

Nooo, PFM is not working....stpuid release of Atilla had to mess up everything xD I used PFM 10 minutes ago and not it fails to load due to updates...

EDIT: Ok, now it is working xD
    Last edited by KAM 2150; February 17, 2015 at 03:31 PM.

Nooo, PFM is not working....stpuid release of Atilla had to mess up everything xD I used PFM 10 minutes ago and not it fails to load due to updates...

EDIT: Ok, now it is working xD
    I do not know much about PMF, but I imagine it is the modding tool? Apparently the 3.5.0 Attila supported version is on here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Attila-support

I don't think it's even worth it. Attila brings very few minor features to the table over Rome 2.

I wander how much can be ported over...

When will the modders know?

Modified tables will certainly be easily ported over, but whole features probably not. The only modding advancement with latest kit was for battle maps afaik.

Senator

I have no interest in the time period Attila is set in at all, which really annoys me because it seems Rome 2 has been like a beta for Attila, now they release Attila and from what I have heard so far it is polished and has some features they left out in Rome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by krunsh View Post
    Even though I prefer the Rome 2 Era and warfare, Attila simply seems superior in every aspects and I am not sure I will be able to go back DeI now that I have had a taste of the goods.
    Eh? If you can't go back to DeI then you simple don't like the era that much in the first place... DeI offers a vastly different era than Attila, and is as polished as possible for Rome 2, so if anything you'd alternate between the 2, I find it just silly for a fan of late-classical age to dump an excellent option altogether just because of a new superior game that offers a different era.

Anyways, my mind is the same as zonks40. I've always found the "Barbarian Ages" boring and utterly uninteresting, so it's a bit sad the campaign is so improved technically, yet has much inferior substance. Can't see myself abandoning DeI at all.
    Last edited by HarkonRules; February 17, 2015 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarkonRules View Post
    Eh? If you can't go back to DeI then you simple don't like the era that much in the first place...
    As someone who is involved in a sub-culture that comes with a lot of people saying "poser this" and "poser that", your comment actually had me laugh out loud in my work office!

but, all jokes aside. I think I know what I like and don't like... Thank you very much.
    Last edited by krunsh; February 17, 2015 at 06:57 PM.

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

I think Attila has the foundation to be something interesting.. but it needs a lot of mod help. A lot. It needs a DeI probably more than Rome 2 did! The units are bland and boring with very little variation. The combat balance is atrocious. Maybe I've just been spoiled by DeI so long and other great mods for other TW games that a vanilla TW game will always leave a sour taste in my mouth. I did the prologue, looked at some of the units in custom battles and then shelved it until it gets a lot of mod help.

Like I said though it could be something great if it had a DeI. The family tree is interesting, the political features are much more interesting than Rome 2's and the UI is nice (though I prefer vanilla Rome 2 or Bullgod style unit cards to the in game graphic). The maps are beautiful and the fire mechanic is awesome. Just those ugly, ugly non-varied units...
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

I'd recommend you get Attila Kam just to have a play, the campaign in particular is really well done, though the battles are, as usual, pretty bad at the moment.

I hope someone with as good modding skills as KAM takes a stab at porting Rome II over to Attila.

Why?

Attila has certain improvements that cannot be modded:
    - family tree - holy crap the family tree is the best one in any TW to date. So much to do, it's almost a mini-game itself
    - better BAI and CAI
    - hordes (some factions in Rome 2 would be better modeled as hordes, now that this mechanism exists)
    - sheer aggression of factions (somehow, the AI is super aggressive in Attila, while somewhat passive even in VH in Rome 2)
    - real axe animations (minor improvement, but still)
    - concept of fertility - in Rome 2 every single place is the same; Italy isn't really rich at all, nor Northern Europe poor; it's all the same. In Attila with the fertility modifier you can really model how rich a certain area is.

Factions, starting locations, army rosters, etc can all be modded, so my hope is that the entire Rome 2 Grand Campaign can be modded over to Attila.
    - I can't think of anything that would be lost, except maybe some exact city placement. We would be stuck with whatever campaign cities are in Attila, which hopefully is not missing any important cities in Rome 2.
    - ok, there is one problem - there seems to be only 1 city in sicily, which is going to a problem for the Punic wars. Well, I guess they'll fight for just that one city then!
    - the map seems to be bigger in attila in all respects except the far east - Bactria will basically no-exist or have to be awkwardly squeezed in somehow.

Well, there are some challenges, but hopefully if the unit rosters can be just imported in directly, DEI can be imported into Attila's engine without too much trouble after the Rome 2 Grand Campaign is ported over.

Patrician

Rome 2 can't and won't be ported to Attila due to lack of map tools. And even with map tools, porting to Atilla would mean at least 1 year set back without making any Rome 2 DeI patches in the meantime.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; February 17, 2015 at 07:40 PM.

i love attila atm, but man are the battles weird after a year of DEI.
    troops (their or mine) break before i can even flank properly , but on the other hand it feels like a good charge is way more devastating than in rome 2. esp infantry charges veel more powerful.

the combat speed in general needs to go way down though. i really miss the more tactical play of DEI

Senator

better BAI and CAI
    This comment really has me intrigued, if Rome 2 has the same engine, and Atilla was in production while they were patching Rome 2, I cannot see why the AI would be any better, from the clips I saw the BAI looked just as dumb as ever, units totally unaware that your units are charging their flank is just one example.

Miraklum's Avatar Libertus

A DEI version of Attila? Would depend on the modders but man would that be awesome!

Attila has great potential but it is in sore need of reskins, GEM and a combat mod.

Currently, a modded Rome 2 looks better and runs far better than Attila.

And the combat in Attila is so fast . Soldiers run like John Carter of Mars.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast