Thread: SIA - That video.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default SIA - That video.

I did a Google search to see if there was a thread (or any posts) on TWC about this but it turned up nothing. Which to be honest surprised me.

Any way, this caught my attention somewhere recently in a discussion about sexual exploitation, and only then probably because I'd just attended a conference on child sexual exploitation, an unpleasant afternoon, particularly the play 'Chelsea's Choice' which despite having the right intentions was just to over the top for me, it is written for young teens so I'm far from the target audience.

Any way. This thing that caught my attention was the video for Sia's 'Elastic Heart.' The video (in the spoiler) features the 'actor' Shia LaBeouf and child actress/dancer Maddie Ziegler in a cage wearing (I think what are called) skin suits. The set is otherwise stark. LaBeouf also has his hands wrapped in what looks like blood stained bandages.

The narrative [if there is one] seems to depict LaBeouf as a man caged and tormented by madness, anger, hate, rage and, towards the end, resigned frustration. Ziegler is the polar opposite, she is strong, powerful, controlled, happy, free, but again, at the end, she seems saddened by the man's state.

The video, which has well near 130m views on YT has sparked huge controversy with all sort of accusations of over sexualising Ziegler. Though very few actually say what it is they find sexual, the dancing, the costumes, the age difference, the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Random FB user
    'I understand that everyone thinks this is a piece of art, but I find it a little too sexual because why is a full grown man in a cage with a 12 year old and both wearing nude suits and making funny faces at each other.

'I find that disturbing.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sia
    'I apologise to those who feel triggered by Elastic Heart, my intention was to create some emotional content, not to upset anybody,'
    Personally I could quite happily drop kick LaBeouf out of a window and not think twice about it. But this video is quite stunning, perhaps it's more the amazing movement [dancing] of Ziegler which I found far from sexual but instead simply beautiful. LaBeouf too plays his part brilliantly (perhaps proving the adage that if you have nothing interesting to say, dance).

Something else that occurred to me, in parts Ziegler reminded me of the Harpy of Greek mythology, tormenting the man in the cage.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; February 17, 2015 at 02:56 PM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SIA - That video.

I found nothing disturbing in that video, but my first reaction when I saw her at her first video was "WTF pedophilia!!" I tend to be a bit intransigent, but generally speaking I think pedophilia is a growing taboo because of the imo increasingly early sexualization. And we (some of us) are terrorized by the mere possibility of a glimpse of pedophiia.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    I found nothing disturbing in that video, but my first reaction when I saw her at her first video was "WTF pedophilia!!" I tend to be a bit intransigent, but generally speaking I think pedophilia is a growing taboo because of the imo increasingly early sexualization. And we (some of us) are terrorized by the mere possibility of a glimpse of pedophiia.
    I saw this one first and 'Chandelier' after which maybe nullifies the impact of the video to 'Chandelier.' It's unusual to see a kid that proficient in contemporary dance, which I guess forces the audience to view the dancer as an adult, which some people are uncomfortable with because you know she isn't.

I agree, there is such a panic over paedophilia (following the Saville investigation) that people seem to think they are seeing something where it isn't.

On the other hand.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    I think most of us believe that without remorse we would do the same.

Its a strange world. (So far, my wisdom)