Thread: Unit weapon model glitch.

Tiro

Default Unit weapon model glitch.

Hi guys,

Firstly, I promise this is the last thing I post that brings nothing to the table!

I have almost finished mymodTM and have a problem with this last model. Problem is linked to the weapon -- crossbow. It is most probably linked to a lack of certain animation, but I have failed in bringing it to work with my mod (crashes all around + I managed to kill another mod <3 )

The problem is that the crossbow is stretched across hole battlefield or up in the sky, known effect akin to this (http://www.123dapp.com/sculpt/the-glitch-/2516575) <- that or the crossbow's "arms" don't show at all O_o
    (steam failed to bring me screenshots, I will add them as soon as possible)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lc.../besiegers.rar
    This is the model with textures (without attachmentsets). It is, again, from Call of Warhammer. Porting units from Stainless Steel is much more satisfying!

I would gladly rectify this problem myself, but modelling, texturing and art in general goes far over my head. If anyone could offer some advice I would be grateful. I wondered if it is possible to simply swap the crossbow for another one, but 3D modelling gives me a headache.

(if you're curious as to what that "mymod" is, it's a piece of junk, riddled with workaround and bad code, that will probably produce an AAR, lel)

Code:
    9 besiegers 1 3 
    70 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/besiegers/besiegers_lod0.mesh 121 
    70 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/besiegers/besiegers_lod0.mesh 1225 
    70 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/besiegers/besiegers_lod0.mesh 6400 
    5 slave 
    89 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/besiegers/textures/Heavy_Tilian_infantry.texture 
    96 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/besiegers/textures/Heavy_Tilian_infantry_normal.texture 
    39 unit_sprites/slave_besiegers_sprite.spr 
    4 merc 
    89 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/besiegers/textures/Heavy_Tilian_infantry.texture 
    96 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/besiegers/textures/Heavy_Tilian_infantry_normal.texture 
    38 unit_sprites/merc_besiegers_sprite.spr 
    5 slave 
    94 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/attachmentsets/Att_Heavy_Tilian_infantry_diff.texture 
    94 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/attachmentsets/Att_Heavy_Tilian_infantry_norm.texture 0 
    4 merc 
    94 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/attachmentsets/Att_Heavy_Tilian_infantry_diff.texture 
    94 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/Tilea/model/attachmentsets/Att_Heavy_Tilian_infantry_norm.texture 0 
    4 None 
    20 MTW2_Pavise_Crossbow 14 MTW2_Swordsman 
    21 MTW2_Crossbow_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    MTW2_Pavise_Crossbow was MTW2_Pavise_Crossbow_String in original

Again, promise not to post more questions ever again! (:

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Unit weapon model glitch.

I thought you might have made a "model problem" post!
    I have downloaded the files and will give them a thorough look very soon.

Tiro

I love you! I won't lie that I hadn't hoped for you to show up (:

I am too predictable now, need to think of original problems!

Tiro

Promised screenshots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Change the entries to look like this:

Code:
    4 None 
    20 MTW2_Pavise_Crossbow 
    14 MTW2_Swordsman 
    21 MTW2_Crossbow_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield
    This might not be the fix, but BMDB is very sensitive, so I'd make the change just in case.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Change the entries to look like this:

Code:
    4 None 
    20 MTW2_Pavise_Crossbow 
    14 MTW2_Swordsman 
    21 MTW2_Crossbow_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield
    This might not be the fix, but BMDB is very sensitive, so I'd make the change just in case.
    Yeah, that does not help. BMDB code was generated by UnitEditor (: Thanks for advice, though

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You mention a previous 'string' animation - is it possible that the model was slightly adjusted for that animation?

In EBII we had some weird stuff connected to very long paths for attachments. You are already at 96 without the path to the mod's data folder, maybe shorten that?
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 19, 2015 at 05:47 AM.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You mention a previous 'string' animation - is it possible that the model was slightly adjusted for that animation?
    I am pretty sure that's what happened. The string is probably included with the crossbow, so with normal animation it gets wonky. I have failed to add the animation in, though (crashes for whole family)

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    In EBII we had some weird stuff connected to very long paths for attachments. You are already at 96 without the path to the mod's data folder, maybe shorten that?
    I might try that, but it hasn't an effect on any other model, nor is the model problematic in original mod (call of warhammer) with the same path. I will keep the paths in mind though.

Gigantus, you worked on EB2 too???

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

At the later stage advising with the script and other bug hunting.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    I thought you might have made a "model problem" post!
    I have downloaded the files and will give them a thorough look very soon.
    Hopeful bumppity bump (:

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

If you use Banzai's animation pack -or if the mod's pack includes those animations-then the problem is in the weapon's vertices bone assignment.
    Wrong bone assignment ussualy causes that issue.
    Open Banzai's animation pack examples to see what bone assignment each vertex of the crossbow and the bolt has.
    Apply the same..To do so you need to add Banzai's skeleton with GOAT 1.1 as well before do that.
    Here is a small tutorial about how to safely make bow string animation use models. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...model-creation
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    If you use Banzai's animation pack -or if the mod's pack includes those animations-then the problem is in the weapon's vertices bone assignment.
    Wrong bone assignment ussualy causes that issue.
    Open Banzai's animation pack examples to see what bone assignment each vertex of the crossbow and the bolt has.
    Apply the same..To do so you need to add Banzai's skeleton with GOAT 1.1 as well before do that.
    Here is a small tutorial about how to safely make bow string animation use models. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...model-creation

I am actually not using that animation. I tried adding relevant animation from the mod I took the unit from, but repacked skeletons produced a crash everytime. I spent two days fighting various crashes, and only then have I come for help (: (cus Paleologos is such a nice fellow).

I removed the xbow-string in milkshake and it removed most problems (the bugged stretching only shows up sometimes now), but after I opened milkshake again, I couldn't save any changes, sadly. (BUY BUY BUY, it says)