View Poll Results: Which starting date do you prefer?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll

12 70.59%

5 29.41%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Montjoie! Saint Denis! - 1328, a Medieval French rpg. Proposal

Default Re: MEDIEVAL FRANCE RPG, VOTE! PROPOSAL AND DISCUSSION

I'm thinking Louis I de Bourbon as a particularly good preset character

Stilldawn:

Of course you wouldn't be able to do that, you can make your own Dampierre but it must a Dampierre, son of A and B, however instead of Louis of Nevers (historical) he can be Robert and a friend of commoners and whores, for example. Backgrounds must be preserved. And I must point something, sometimes little isknown of characters private life, so if you choose an historical charscter you have an inmense creative freedom, no one know how really the aforementioned Louis of Nevees was like!

Celsius:

That's a wise choice, Bourbon was a peculiar and interesting char, he enjoys a strong starting position as descends directly from Saint Louis. One if the best choices available.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Of course you wouldn't be able to do that, you can make your own Dampierre but it must a Dampierre, son of A and B, however instead of Louis of Nevers (historical) he can be Robert and a friend of commoners and whores, for example. Backgrounds must be preserved. And I must point something, sometimes little isknown of characters private life, so if you choose an historical charscter you have an inmense creative freedom, no one know how really the aforementioned Louis of Nevees was like!
    that sucks, I think players should be given more freedom allow them to create their own back stories and their own dynasties no matter what title they hold. Who really cares about dynastical details the point is to have fun, and the more you limit players the less fun they will have

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    the more you limit players the less fun they will have
    or the less chaos you will have. People creating off the wall characters, mostly dumb and stupid to be perfectly honest, and everyone has to play with that nonsense. That makes it less fun as well.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    or the less chaos you will have. People creating off the wall characters, mostly dumb and stupid to be perfectly honest, and everyone has to play with that nonsense. That makes it less fun as well.
    I wish for chaos, it means the game is turning and turning in a fast pace

with that said I understand the need for some rules to keep aliens and wizards from the game but so long as the game is somewhat grounded why should we limit players

Section Editor ES

It is the same than GoT, Lannister are Lords of the West no matter the setting, you can make your Lannister, but still every Lannister before you and events leading to that day exist. And you wouldn't be able to create a better house and background.
    And what's the point of doing an historical rpg if you aren't historical? Nonsense! It fact it would be absurd and I agree with Celsius completely. Preset, historical characters, are a good choice; for example I enjoy playing historical charactees, trying to win where they were defeated or explore their possibilities. Playing and acting like a character that I like or admire is a great pleasure and one of the reasons why I rp.

If you wanna do everything you want with a pseudo-historical feeling look elsewhere. These are times long lost and they will never return.

Citizen

I'm glad that enjoy pretending you are historical people, I on the other don't. I enjoy creating a new history and having full control of my character/dynasty. This section of forum has to stop running this place like a dictatorship

I bet my game would do better than yours

Section Editor ES

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Okay, gonna draw a line here before things get out of hand.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, let's not degrade other people's ideas. LW, since its clear that you really aren't interested into this rp, I politely ask that you either stop posting here and move on or keep your comments to yourself. There a fine line between destructive and constructive criticism. Lets keep it constructive. This is Oz's first rp that he has ever truly proposed to where it is moving in the direction of becoming an rp. So either give him a break or move on. Either way, let Oz do this the way he wants it to be done.

Let's continue to strive to keep this thread civil and get back on topic, everyone.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; February 18, 2015 at 09:40 AM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

I'm glad that enjoy pretending you are historical people, I on the other don't. I enjoy creating a new history and having full control of my character/dynasty. This section of forum has to stop running this place like a dictatorship
    I see plenty of people who apparently like Oz's approach, which is based on the French situation at the beginning of the 100 Years War.

If you don't like it, don't play it. Simple as that.
    If this was somehow a dictatorship, we'd be all in the same place, some of us would have guns, and the dissidents would leave the room with armed gunmen never to return.
    But that's not happening, is it? If I hear that accusation one more time, I'm treating it as an insult.
    Right..

What game is this?

Everything has been properly answered.

UPDATE: The OP now includes a map and a link to a excel table where counties are classified in three ties, both in levy and income, according what we know about each of them in the High Middle Ages. Also they are classified by overlordships (de jure duchies in CKII terms).

*screams internally*

I have set my sights on Joan, countess of Burgundy.

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Not to be offensive or anything (as I'm not that kinda guy lol). But looking over the rules thus far I feel they are a bit bloated/complex for my liking. I'll wait til the final release but I get the feeling this RP isn't for me.

I wish you all luck however

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrine View Post
    I have set my sights on Joan, countess of Burgundy.
    That would make you my choice's mother-in-law. I aiming for Louis I, Count of Flanders, whose wife is the daughter of Joan of Burgundy.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

I believe he is referring to the GSTK carbon copy.

This is looking very nice Oz. If it isn't obvious I'm planning on playing . What do you reccommend for a character who wants to be an admiral?
    Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

If I cannot find a way I will make one.

Hannibal Barca

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

What character would any of you, history buffs, recommend me?

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

I'd like to put a claim on Dugelezh Breizh

Not to much know about the duke Yan III so plenty of RP possibilities + The duke has no children so far and is getting older with the day so succession could prove to be difficult.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_III,_Duke_of_Brittany
    Veritas Temporis Filia

For everyone to get in the mood while the rpg is being prepared:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIdo7BsI17Q
    The Accursed Kings, adapted from the homonym book series by Maurice Druon, they cover the period ranging from 1314 to 1356, while the series finishes on the fifth book (being 7) in the 1330's. Thus covers our setting very well and sums events that happened before our starting date. While the show might not have aged very well visually (it's from the 80's) it's truly well adapted and actors are nice and convincing as well. It's in french, but subtitled in English. The books are very enjoyable and addictive, so I gladly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    That would make you my choice's mother-in-law. I aiming for Louis I, Count of Flanders, whose wife is the daughter of Joan of Burgundy.
    I always wanted you to be my son-in-law.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast