View Poll Results: would you buy a AIB DLC?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

55 51.89%
  • no, I want realism not fantasy!

28 26.42%
  • I hate DLC in general, so no.

10 9.43%
  • I'll wait until Atilla is on sale for 3.99 before I get the DLC

13 12.26%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIB DLC? (Arthur in Britannia)

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Icon8 AIB DLC? (Arthur in Britannia)

I have my own personal theory that the celtic units will be unlocked with a dlc about Arthur. It would be like a Med 2 Britannia campaign 2.0. Why not? we already have the Vikings raiding 300 years before there were vikings, why not have a DLC with King Arthur and the Knights of the round table? I wonder if there may be legal problems though with that other Arthur game thats practically a total war knockoff.

Im calling it though. this game's CIG will be AIB.

factions:

Romano-Brtitish
    Caledonians
    Northmen
    Picts
    Ebdani
    Saxons
    Cymry
    Amorica

historical battles:
    Battle of mount Badon

and of course since CA and just 'bout every proper englishmen a fan of Monty Python

and of course it'll unlock two handed units too:
    Last edited by RedGuard; February 15, 2015 at 07:46 PM.

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

Default Re: AIB DLC? (Arthur in Britannia)

Judging by the past mini dlc campaigns for Rome II and their unwillingness to release campaign map modding tools or even a tutorial for it, it would not come as a surprise for them to release small campaign maps.

However our modders are now fully capable of making their own cultures, units and unlocking factions. They had plenty of practice with Rome II and now with a better scaffholding to build upon along with better tools, they should also easily be able to add more religions as well as correct some of the mistakes CA has made in the game.
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee786 View Post
    Judging by the past mini dlc campaigns for Rome II and their unwillingness to release campaign map modding tools or even a tutorial for it, it would not come as a surprise for them to release small campaign maps.

However our modders are now fully capable of making their own cultures, units and unlocking factions. They had plenty of practice with Rome II and now with a better scaffholding to build upon along with better tools, they should also easily be able to add more religions as well as correct some of the mistakes CA has made in the game.
    this is a bit offtopic. what do you think of an Arthur DLC?

Total war games have always appealed mostly to fantasy (RTW's opening cinematic was ripped straight from Lord of the Rings). So giving a campaign an entirely fictional setting would give CA a lot of freedom. Might be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Total war games have always appealed mostly to fantasy (RTW's opening cinematic was ripped straight from Lord of the Rings). So giving a campaign an entirely fictional setting would give CA a lot of freedom. Might be fun.
    as much as I love realism in my total war and love realistic mods such as EB, Deus Lo Vult, DEI, etc... I agree. this is one fantasy trope that I would like to be in the game. I might even buy the game just for this dlc if it turns out Attila is a much better Rome 2. The Romano-Britons were my favorite faction in BI
    Last edited by RedGuard; February 15, 2015 at 07:44 PM.

added poll to

CA does better when they throw history to the wind and go for a more fantastical and fun approach. Here's hopping they see the opportunity to tell a true English legend! If they make a massive map of Britain on the same size as Gaul was I will be an ecstatic camper

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    this is a bit offtopic. what do you think of an Arthur DLC?
    So this is why my teachers always told me to read the question before answering in an exam

sorry, yes i wouldn't mind a fantasy based DLC so long as CA released campaign map editing tools so that we could make our own third age total wars and game of thrones mods
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

Isn't it possible to have a more realistic version of Arthur? Like the theories of him being a Roman or anglo-saxon king.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadian Guardsman View Post
    CA does better when they throw history to the wind and go for a more fantastical and fun approach. Here's hopping they see the opportunity to tell a true English legend! If they make a massive map of Britain on the same size as Gaul was I will be an ecstatic camper
    yeah they seem to do whatever the hell they feel like with the source material such as vikings, Frankish knights etc so why not give them something relevant to the time period where they can throw in as much fantasy crap as they like, keeping it seperate from the main game of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee786 View Post
    So this is why my teachers always told me to read the question before answering in an exam

sorry, yes i wouldn't mind a fantasy based DLC so long as CA released campaign map editing tools so that we could make our own third age total wars and game of thrones mods
    its np. I accidently had the pissed icon next to the title so i changed it but i realized too late that it might send the wrong impression.

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

I dont think so.

I believe we wont see alot of campain DLCs and mainly units packs and faction packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Earende View Post
    Isn't it possible to have a more realistic version of Arthur? Like the theories of him being a Roman or anglo-saxon king.
    i'll pass on the Clive Owen version of King Arthur thanks, lol. give me Excalibur and the knights of Saan Graal. Besides its really hard to tell what is complete fiction and what is based on historical. I like the Mists of Avalon version of the story, with the saxons, Ambrosius Aruelianus and such, being in the 5th century, not the version we're all familiar with with full-plated knights etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    I dont think so.

I believe we wont see alot of campain DLCs and mainly units packs and faction packs.
    you're a cynic aren't you, Austrian?

i'll pass on the Clive Owen version of King Arthur thanks, lol. give me Excalibur and the knights of Saan Graal. Besides its really hard to tell what is complete fiction and what is based on historical. I like the Mists of Avalon version of the story, with the saxons, Ambrosius Aruelianus and such, being in the 5th century, not the version we're all familiar with with full-plated knights etc.

you're a cynic aren't you, Austrian?
    Well no. There simply isnt much arround to place a small campain in is there?

Think of it. How much during that time period is worht having it`s own small campain?

So I think we will see 5 unit pack DLCs and several faction pack DLCs.

And I think CA might even make the mistake of serving us another beasts of war style mess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    Well no. There simply isnt much arround to place a small campain in is there?

Think of it. How much during that time period is worht having it`s own small campain?

So I think we will see 5 unit pack DLCs and several faction pack DLCs.

And I think CA might even make the mistake of serving us another beasts of war style mess.
    well there wasn't much to make small DLCs about for Napoleon either, but we got the Peninsula campaign so by my thinking I think we have agood chance that we will get some kind of Mini-campaign dlc, and Britannia a pretty strong contender for that considering so much was going on there and it was literally total war against the saxons for a couple hundred years. Also just look at how many mods focus on Britannia for Med2 and BI. this idea just gives CA a chance to tell the Arthur legend however they like because its a fantasy, which is the direction they seem to be going anyway with Warhammer TW.

however the rest of your post I can agree with.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I would absolutely love to conquer the forests of Britannia with an army of Sidhe.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

What I really want is a "Conquest of Britain" campain pack DLC for Rome 2.

Arthur isn't Aragorn. It's a mythified historical figure. You can have both fantasy and realism from him separately of course.
    The Armenian Issue

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Arthur is loosely based on events from the 7th and 8th centuries AD, according to Robert Vermaat, who is one of the world's leading experts on Arthur, but I don't know more than that.

As for the 5th century, yes the Battle of Mons Baedonicus probably took place in that time period (roughly 483 or 496 AD). Some of the characters that inspired Arthur, like Ambrosius Aurelianus and Riothamus, also come from that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Arthur isn't Aragorn. It's a mythified historical figure. You can have both fantasy and realism from him separately of course.
    arthur is likely a hodgepodge of several different historical figures, so no, he is in effect a fantasy character. Itd be like combining Augustus, Germanicus and Maximus decimus Meridius into a single character and making him king of Italy in the first century looking for the golden fleece.

arthur is likely a hodgepodge of several different historical figures, so no, he is in effect a fantasy character. Itd be like combining Augustus, Germanicus and Maximus decimus Meridius into a single character and making him king of Italy in the first century looking for the golden fleece.
    Read "mythified historical figure". If you're gonna use the same logic then you're gonna be surprised and realize that a lot of historical figures we take for granted are fantasy characters.
    The Armenian Issue

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast