Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rome II beating Shogun 2 launch

Default Re: Rome II beating Shogun 2 launch

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ward View Post
    What you need to be considering before you decide to call Rome 2 a success/failure was whether or not it achieved the sales/player retention it was capable of given it's pedigree and marketing hype, not comparing it to a much smaller title.
    Yes, let's do all the analysis not against numbers we have, but against some imaginary ones that we make up freely to fit into our a priori "Rome II is a failure" result.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    That's a very interesting point. While I believe that Attila is clearly the more polished game with better game play and features, the story of the campaign itself is sorta one dimensional and barring significant DLC then it may actually become boring after a while, especially since you only have with Romans, Germans, the Huns, and one Persian faction to choose from.

In general more people love the period of Rome 2 and the game has over thirty playable factions from various different cultures so...I can imagine why people are still playing it.
    Personally, I play R2TW because I wait for the "woops patch!" period of 3 months to pass. I pre-ordered Attila knowing that I wouldn't play it for months.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Yes, let's do all the analysis not against numbers we have, but against some imaginary ones that we make up freely to fit into our a priori "Rome II is a failure" result.
    Why would do you an analysis with numbers just because you have them, when you no those numbers present an complete picture? Is it just to fit into some kind of, I don't know, a priori "Rome 2 is good actually" result?
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I pre-ordered Attila knowing that I wouldn't play it for months.
    It's not for me to tell you how to spend your money I know, but... why would you do that?
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

To show my support for CA. I was impressed after they went out on a limb to give a campaign map editing tool for S2TW. So I pre-ordered R2TW knowing it will be buggy. It wasn't that bad. But CA worked and worked and worked on it and made it very good. So, to show my continued support, I pre-ordered Attila.

I installed it, played a custom battle, said "cool stuff" and uninstalled it. I didn't check the campaign at all, but I expect severe balance issues there. Then, I got stuck in lots of work while I have the chance to finally finish a campaign before a new patch comes out and makes my mods not save-compatible.
    If by the time the announce a new game, I'm as satisfied with CA's efforts and with ATW as I was when Attila was announced, I'll pre-order the next one.
    Last edited by alhoon; February 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    To show my support for CA. I was impressed after they went out on a limb to give a campaign map editing tool for S2TW. So I pre-ordered R2TW knowing it will be buggy. It wasn't that bad. But CA worked and worked and worked on it and made it very good. So, to show my continued support, I pre-ordered Attila.

I installed it, played a custom battle, said "cool stuff" and uninstalled it. I didn't check the campaign at all, but I expect severe balance issues there. Then, I got stuck in lots of work while I have the chance to finally finish a campaign before a new patch comes out and makes my mods not save-compatible.
    If by the time the announce a new game, I'm as satisfied with CA's efforts and with ATW as I was when Attila was announced, I'll pre-order the next one.
    Well, if you want to support CA that's 100% your decision. I don't share your opinions on the current state of Rome 2, but that's by the by.

However, I reckon you're showing just as much support for CA by buying the game on release day or, better, in the days or weeks after the release. Basically, so long as you pay full price you're supporting the developer as much as you can. By pre-ordering, you're perpetuating an unsustainable and anti-consumer pre-order driven business model, which is the cause of like pre-order exclusive DLCs. And it's not doing developers any favours, because like that doesn't come from them it comes from retailers and to a lesser extent publishers. Consider this 2013 statement from Koch Media, the publishers of Metro: Last Light, about the controversy of over making Ranger Mode pre-order DLC:

"Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case," he says. "We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive."
    Basically, retailers apply pressure to developers and publishers (pressure as in, "do this or we won't stock your game") to chop games in to bits in order to incentivize pre-orders. Stop pre-ordering, and they'll stop doing it.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by the_eye View Post
    There are more people playing Rome II right now than played Shogun 2 when it launched! Not bad for a game which, according to certain people here, is dead/failed.

(Yes, I realise that Rome II is free-to-play this weekend, which has boosted its stats, but it's a phenomenal achievement regardless)

You forgot to point out the essential dear friend , most of the day more people play Rome 2 than Attila, despite it is the content-wise worser game. No hope for human race.
    From the feedback of my numerous Steam friends most say they refuse to buy Attila at all because of Rome 2, OR they wait for an official sale, probably including the many DLCs - still those play Rome 2.

Another tiny portion says they are completely fed up and finished up with Total War completely.
    Last edited by alQamar; February 25, 2015 at 07:24 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    You forgot to point out the essential dear friend , most of the day more people play Rome 2 than Attila, despite it is the content-wise worser game. No hope for human race.
    From the feedback of my numerous Steam friends most say they refuse to buy Attila at all because of Rome 2, OR they wait for an official sale, probably including the many DLCs - still those play Rome 2.

Another tiny portion says they are completely fed up and finished up with Total War completely.
    You think it's strange that more people play a game that has been out for nearly a year and half - and so has been on sale multiple times - compared to a game that was just released? Especially where Attila could almost just be considered a stand alone expansion (like Napoleon has come to have been viewed). And like you said, many held back from buying Attila on release because of what happened with Rome 2's releasee, myself included, but as Rome 2 is right now it is very playable, and I do intend to get Attila at some point, but for now Rome 2 will do just fine.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    C.S. Lewis

The game has been fixed up fairly well really, I think most people recognise that now. The complaints are more to do with its launch and SEGA's godawful business practice. I play it regularly both solo and co-op and still find both of those complaints entirely legitimate. Because of that I and most people I know won't be buying Attila until it's patched up and on sale, despite it adding a lot of features I want (features that should have been in Rome 2 but never will be).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12