Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coolest opening credits for a movie ever?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Coolest opening credits for a movie ever?

I know some people are nauseated by directors like Tarantino, with their "cold" openings that come out of nowhere (literally a black screen) and right in the middle of an ongoing dialogue. However, even if you despise Tarantino and all that he stands for you can at least appreciate an opening like this, from the movie Reservoir Dogs. I've never seen an opening for a movie as cool as this. It just screams awesome and gangsta. Mind you, it's not the first scene of the movie, of course, since the "cold" opening diner scene preceded these credits.

WARNING: There is one little swear word muttered at the very end of the video in the background.

They picked the absolute perfect song too ("Little Green Bag" by the George Baker Selection). It fits the scene so well, makes it so badass, and highlights the whole tough guy / smooth criminal feel of the walk towards the camera. I'd like to know what you guys think is the best opening ever, or at least way cooler than this one. I'm sure the TWC team is capable of doing that.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Coolest opening credits for a movie ever?

If this damn website actually allowed videos to be imbedded without me getting error messages I'd post some.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    If this damn website actually allowed videos to be imbedded without me getting error messages I'd post some.
    Dude, I've seen you try to post Youtube videos in the past and fail because you keep making the same small mistake over and over.

You keep putting the entire URL into the "YOUTUBE" brackets instead of just the last bit at the end of the URL. For instance, the URL for the Youtube video above is "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Xi3ioasik." The only part you need to copy and paste in between the "YOUTUBE" brackets is the part after the "=" sign, i.e. q2Xi3ioasik.

If you'd like to see how that's done, just hit the "reply with quote" button on my post above and view the text. It's the same for every Youtube video.

The thing is, basicly every single website seems to have a different way to post youtube videos and it can get rather confusing that way.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I have it now.

Back on topic, personly I think the Watchmen opening credits are the best I have seen. It is also not the first scene, its the second scene. Many movies have that.

Great pacing, the music fits perfectly, and it really sets the tone for the movie as well, regarding how superheroes work in this movie, and it shows this alternate history.

The opening of Conan the Barbarian is pretty epic too.

Not much is happening, but that music going along with forging a blade and then Conan's father's speech to finish it. Its quite a nice opening.

Speaking of intro's that get you really pumped up for some action:

While the movie certainly has plenty of flaws, its always been a guilty pleasure of mine. And this opening is certainly not one of its flaws. I wish they'd use this music in the actual games for once, maybe with a similar opening.

The reservoir dogs opening is great too by the way! Simple but effective.

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Guys, there is only one epic intro...
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; February 15, 2015 at 02:10 PM.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

When I was 11. this was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. LotR nut for life right then and there.
    Last edited by Påsan; February 15, 2015 at 02:35 PM.

Very good choices, fellas. Keep them coming!

I dare say at least one of these might have already toppled Reservoir Dogs in my estimation.

I remember being blown away by ep 3's opening

lol alot of some of those videos are not even opening credits but just movie beginings...

At anycase, considering tarantino, i love this one.

Also one of the most underated tarantino, movies, likewise imo probably my favorite tarantino movie.
    Soundtrack is just marvelous to begin with.

Another one of my favorites is Goodbye Lenin, just love this title sequence.

Best one ever? this one.

As movie beginers The life of others is quite powerfull as well.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Let me give honourable mentions as well...

And of course the Apocalypse Now intro which I can't seem to find.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Oh my God, Jackie Brown, City of God, Starship Troopers, Hunt for Red October, these are all phenomenal choices! They're all so good I dare say it's next to impossible now for me to say (even subjectively) which one is best.

As for Apocalypse Now, the opening scene is not allowed on Youtube due to some stupid copyright thing, but it is available on Vimeo.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

My favorites

Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Might as well add this to the mix.

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I am partial to the Terminator Salvation opening sequence.

Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

@Knight of Heaven

All fantastic opening credits. I especially love Good bye Lenin which perfectly captures the nostalgia for the DDR (allt things considered) which permeates the film. A great way to open a great movie. Reminiscent of the opening of Amelie which also plays on themes of nostalgia. Interestingly enough, the music is composed by the same composer who wrote the score for Good Bye Lenin.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Clockwork Orange yet. The opening credits themselves, consisting of simple fonts upon a single-colored background is cool,yet nothing to write home about. That first shot following the credits though...Talk about cool in the most eerie way imaginable.

I'm not sure if I would call the opening to Double Life of Veronique 'cool'. However, I find it incredibly powerful. Especially when re-watching the movie as their are subtle hints of the nature of the mystery at the films core. The way it introduces Veronique is beautiful as well by establishing her passion and musical excellence in an incredibly effective manner, all in the first 30 seconds of the film. Lastly, I love the way the director turns up the volume of the rain to emulate an applaud as she is done singing.

I could not find a video of just the opening. But it is between 0:59 and 3:00.

Last edited by Mr Longbowman; February 15, 2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Fixed links.

Emperor PooMan's Avatar Centenarius

Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

They're all so good I dare say it's next to impossible now for me to say (even subjectively) which one is best
    well a thing like this will always be very subjective to be honest.
    As intro goes well the first 5 minutes of Copollas Dracula directors cut are dam well epic...

Talking about Marvel movies, Guardians of the galaxy and iron man has great opening credit scenes.
    It probably fall very well into the definition of Cool best.

(it is hard to find in nice quality for some reason)

Another of my favorite films, with a great intro it is Pans labyrinth.

Amelie which also plays on themes of nostalgia.
    Amelie is a fantastic movie, it is in the list of my all time favorite movies.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; February 15, 2015 at 08:07 PM.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

I couldn't find a youtube video for it but my all time favorite is The Wild Bunch.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc9...les_shortfilms
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

I actually did consider putting a clockwork orange and space odyssey on there, but figured they may not have much opening credits. But if we are going also with opening scenes and not just credits, here is one of the best openings in films, that shows straight away how to make a good parody movie.

The key to making a good parody movie is capturing the atmosphere of the kind of movies you are lampooning, otherwise all jokes will fall flat. Young Frankenstein might be the best example of a parody that captured the atmosphere perfectly of what they lampooned.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Sometimes there's very little difference between the opening scene and the opening credits. It's long been a tradition now to have the credits going over what ever action is going on. A long way from the old days where you had to sit through music and title cards before fading into the action.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast